IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I could think of some sweet ass mod projects to do with a board like this. Is it SA-1 compatible like the SRT?

I don't think it's 100% compatible with it. I've been told the later versions of Super Mario RPG don't work but mine does so I guess mine is earlier. The only game I own that it won't play is the Japanese version of Kirby 3.

I don't think it's 100% compatible with it. I've been told the later versions of Super Mario RPG don't work but mine does so I guess mine is earlier. The only game I own that it won't play is the Japanese version of Kirby 3.

Okay cool to know. I know my SRT plays all three SA-1 games I have: A SMRPG revision that does work with Supaboy. A Kirby Super Star that does not work with Supaboy, and the third "talking" Parodius SFC title which uses the SA-1 to decompress speech samples (untested on Supaboy). I may have to pick up SFC Kirby 3 at some point since the US version has gotten ridiculous in price.

• Like 1

I asked a non gaming related heavy hitter to look at the board.

They will either brush it off or be curious about an FPGA gaming machine. I don't know them but a friend had recommended their blog when I told them about this thing.

I personally do actually think that is a prototype board they custom made, and yes, that red light is bright.

Did anyone catch on when I posted The Police's Roxanne video earlier?

Just imagine Mike working on his mockup singing it....

My "benefit of the doubt" fuel tanks are running on empty, and there's no sign of any cartridge interface on that board (let alone power and a/v hookups etc) but something that worries me is the ports at the front (whether they are usb or lan or whatever) seem to be in a pretty good position for the shell layout

Surely even with 10 days of nothing else Mike wouldn't have gone to the sheer effort of hunting down an dummy/salvaged board that had convincing controller ports, that's not his style

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Their is quite a few off the shelf boards that are ARM and FGPA and quite a few places do custom boards

Here is a few examples that could be used to figure out how powerful Retro VGS if it actually works

150421edne-armadeus1.png

This one for example

The midrange version of the Armadeus APF6_SP board:

243,00€

* CPU i.MX6 Dual A9 @ 1GHz (Dual cores version)
* FPGA Cyclone V 5CGXC4
* RAM dedicated to the FPGA: 384 MB 24bit DDR3
* 1 GB DDR3
* 4 GB eMMC 8bits (MLC type)
* Wi-Fi b/g/n & Bluetooth 4.0

Here is a very cheap one

Screen-Shot-2015-10-12-at-12.41.48-PM.pnIMG_5275-1-620x465.jpg?resize=620%2C465

https://www.crowdsupply.com/krtkl/snickerdoodle

Since this is a "speculation" thread, I think that it's not unreasonable to start speculating on "WTF happened"!

Here's my guess ... I suspect that River West got cold feet about the negative publicity and the potential damage to the Coleco brand, especially after the "fraud" at the Toy Fair, and they yanked the Coleco license away from Mike a few days ago.

The "fraud" gives them perfect reason to do so, and to totally come out smelling-of-roses as the guys that protected a beloved American brand from the charlatan that had fooled them into letting him almost ruin it.

That might also explain how Triverse seems to have some inside knowledge of today's disaster, even though he's carefully not said anything.

Just total speculation ... but that was what this thread was set up for.

If you read their response to one of my tweets then you'd know that Coleco Holdings were lying with them. Unless they decided to stop lying.

https://twitter.com/colecovision_/status/700438168353509376

• Like 1

David Giltinan (@DaGiltyMan) tweeted at 3:01 PM on Fri, Feb 26, 2016:

@driph Plan has changed actually. Got the call that we won't need to go the crowdsourcing route. More info will be at @RETROVGS and FB page.

(https://twitter.com/DaGiltyMan/status/703323918891950080?s=03)

Well, if some rich company is dumb enough to give them the money then by all means let them since they aren't swindling customers. And if there's a non-existent chance something is released then more power to them. I won't be buying it regardless.

What iamnotgoomba said! I was actually thinking about that first "sizzle" or "intro" video last night...you know the one...where they are all standing in the game store and aren't facing the camera? Did anyone (StopDrop&Retro, perhaps?) save a copy of that video? My wife has the flu today, so I am staying in on a Saturday, so I might as well reminisce this project from its hilarious beginning!

Btw, has anybody (or can anybody!) uploaded the original IndieGogo video with Mike, John and Steve? It's no longer on the IGG page. Thanks!

Is it this one?

https://vimeo.com/139674335

I think it's the Vimeo account of the guy who made it for Mike. He also done some others for him:

At least the video guy is making some money out of all this, unless he's being paid in 'stock' in one of the Retro group of 'companies'.

• Like 2

post-2410-0-05703000-1456581383_thumb.jpeg

When you have to qualify something, in his case retailers offering store space by the holidays, with the word "real," it's probably fake. I don't think he specifically said Christmas of 2016, did he?

I think this project should be ignored and forgotten. By giving Mike the courtesy of debunking him or asking him to prove himself, we are simply feeding the troll.

As everyone has said already, that blue board under the clear jag shell could literally be anything, and not necessarily hooked up to anything except for power to that big Rudolph red nose light. It could be an obscure 1990s board for USB, FireWire, or anything else with silver USB-like modules in one end.

Mike is doing everyone including himself a favor by not trying to collect money from the public. It takes him out of scammer/thief/evil territory and downgrades him to just a liar and a huckster. Well played sir.

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to fill in even one of my bingo card spaces yesterday. Not even the center free space for "Cartridges!"

• Like 14

Triverse seems to be logged in I hope he is typing something ;)

EDIT: PikoInteractive also said there would be a blog 2.0 (https://pikointeractive.com/blog/) but for now nothing. To be fair he said after the KS, so it may be a while.

EDIT2: thenavguy is online too, maybe he can share something new now that the KS is gone, hopefully the pressure is low enough.

EDIT3: PikoInteractive is online as well, hopefully he can share something of his experience.

This is me during all of this :P

post-8976-0-32321400-1456582384_thumb.jpg

Under a NDA, that I am spending my time working on the ColecoVisions Podcast lining up old Coleco Employee interviews and more toy content for the show. I am just following all this along, I have not really seen anything like this before affect the community so much. You have to admit it has been great to get people exposure for their youtube shows, podcasts, online blogs, etc....

I will be glad when it is all over, I just want to play my retro games and share my enthusiasm for games with fellow retronaughts!

I probably will be online to watch the live news with Pipercub and UKMike this afternoon, I am a long time listener of RGRU and have not been online in some time watch the live news recording (which is always a hoot :P)

• Like 3

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

When you have to qualify something, in his case retailers offering store space by the holidays, with the word "real," it's probably fake. I don't think he specifically said Christmas of 2016, did he?

I think this project should be ignored and forgotten. By giving Mike the courtesy of debunking him or asking him to prove himself, we are simply feeding the troll.

And helping hone his product.

• Like 1

I posted it in the old thread and it still applies...

12359851_1007834675928770_67911912024439

Round 3? No, that'll do pig, that'll do.

I know it doesn't change the editorial impact, but why is the AES depicted as dying years before most of its best games came out?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

So if i'm reading Piko's post correctly, they are out of this thing. So there are going to be like no games for this, if it ever does come out, as most of what they had were Piko's games. I'm guessing they are just going to give up at this point but I could be wrong. I doubt any of those "major game companies" from the facebook announcement actually exist.

• Like 5

So if i'm reading Piko's post correctly, they are out of this thing. So there are going to be like no games for this, if it ever does come out, as most of what they had were Piko's games.

I think he'd have said they were out of the project if that's what he meant instead of hinting at it. But anything's possible.

It could be more of a "Sure, we'll still publish games on your system if it ever happens but we won't be otherwise actively involved" kind of thing.

• Like 3

I think he'd have said they were out of the project if that's what he meant instead of hinting at it. But anything's possible.

It could be more of a "Sure, we'll still publish games on your system if it ever happens but we won't be otherwise actively involved" kind of thing.

I guess they didn't flat out say "I'm out", but it sounded to me like he was saying maybe they'd be involved at a later date but not when its supposedly coming out later this year

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3451919

but if they are out at launch, there are going to be no games for the system so no one is going to buy it

Edited by mickcris