IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

If you guys haven't already, you may want to check out my interview with Piko Interactive. They have been prepared for the post-Chameleon world all along and are doing some pretty awesome things!

http://www.nintendoloveaffair.com/2016/02/peek-inside-piko-interactive.html

Full disclosure, I am the editor for Nintendo Love Affair. We recently published our own conclusion to the Chameleon story. We really want to boil it all down to what, in the end, we actually knew about the Chameleon and RVGS.

http://www.nintendoloveaffair.com/2016/02/coleco-chameleon-kickstarters-fails-to.html

Edited by marksball

I think this whole backing out was just a way to save face.

So long as everyone at Team Chameleon stays quiet, they can pretend they are working silently behind the scenes to bring us a better future.

Then..

In six or eight months, with no updates all the Facebook fans will have forgotten about the Chameleon. None of the mainstream gaming news outlets will remember it and if it does come up in conversation some way or another, they can just use an easy out like..

Well, our new partners are delaying us

We've had problems with one of our suppliers and that is putting us behind schedule.

Production was sourced over seas and the company doing it shut it's doors.

Our business partner company was bought out and the project has been put on hold.

... and the list goes on.

Anyway, I think it's over. If it's not then I think it should be.

This could be the out and it should be taken and we can all just let the Chameleon die, try to forget the whoring of the Coleco brand name, and have fun playing our games.

Also, I just want to add, I've some serious respect for how Piko has been handling this whole affair. Very professional, while being stuck in a tight spot. As someone who was not familiar with the name, if nothing else this whole Chameleon sham has brought some cool looking games to my attention that I was unaware of.

Edited by TheClassyGamer
  • Like 9

I am just happy I don't have to keep refreshing ANY page.

They got me twice with this thing, where I got polarized and spent waaaaaaaaay too much time over it.

Don't care where it goes next, if it ever hits a shelf I will wait for it to be in clearance or buy used from "early adopters"/"or just adopters" once they ditch it IF THAT.

I will not try to speculate further on what HW they DON'T use, only thing left is to see how this unfolds wrt the rest of the team (that has said nothing) or Coleco (also pretty mum). I don't expect much, but an apology of some sort NOT from Mike, would be something along the way in admitting they fuxxed it up.

Regarding my personal feelings about the master of disaster aka Mike K, in spite of all people that tried to smooth the tones on his behavior invoking past gentle endeavors, I truly hope I never have the displeasure to deal with him in any capacity, but I do wish well to those that felt like they lost him as a friend in this circus and twice over at that.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Their main page still cites the KS to this day in the second of the rotating images .... maybe they threw the web guy under the bus this time.

I can just picture that guy's frustration, if he even exists. "First, you hired me for transport; 2 days later, you call me Hardware Guy; now, I'm the Web Guy???!"

• Like 1

I know it doesn't change the editorial impact, but why is the AES depicted as dying years before most of its best games came out?

I think I had used retail debut and discontinuation years of the consoles for the tombstones. I know that the AES had new SNK titles up until 2007 ~

Okay, forgive me if this was already brought here before, but is hard to check over 135+ pages for something like this. Now this may be silly or something very easy to counter argument, i am no developer and not sure what you need to make a custom board to test a game in a new console.

But i find funny this post in the Retro VSG (oh scuse me, Coleco Chameleon) page.

post-34727-0-74772700-1456592492_thumb.jpg

okay, this guy Eli, his site is all homebrew games for snes (and couple genesis and NES games), So let me ask you, because i see there are many knowledgable people in this forums, can you build a homebrew board for the COleco Chameleon without owning a dev kit or a prototype unit yourself? Because if Eli doesnt have one, how he was able to provide a board with his games for Mike to run flawlessly in the NY fair?
i may be wrong but i see that a bit impossible to do? i thought "well of course i'd does run your homebrew snes games flawlessly, because is a snes and you Eli know it". Because is the only thing i can think of, either Eli owns a working prototype, or he knew all the time it was a snes inside the shell and he used one of his snes boards.
Question: anyone here owns one of his homebrew games? I am fairly sure if we opened one of his carts we may see the exact same board they used in the NY fair, also PLEASE NOTE, the photo that displayed the naked board Eli brought to the fair is gone from the FB page, so i think accidentaly stumbled into something here.
I am be wrong but someone saved that photo before Mike removed it yesterday?
Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 1

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge and information.

To be honest, I was never going to buy a coleco c, no matter what happened. I am just to much of a NES guy. I totally support the homebrew community and am completing supporting RetroUSBs AVS.

I am glad that I have slowly heard about this product and following the "news" through youtube, FB and Atari Age.

It only goes to show that new developers can not pull one over on ANYBODY in the retro community.

I look forward to following this thread and learning more about the rights and wrongs of releasing new products in a new day and age.

• Like 2

Okay, forgive me if this was already brought here before, but is hard to check over 135+ pages for something like this. Now this may be silly or something very easy to counter argument, i am no developer and not sure what you need to make a custom board to test a game in a new console.

But i find funny this post in the Retro VSG (oh scuse me, Coleco Chameleon) page.

attachicon.gifColeco Cahameleon Eli.jpg

okay, this guy Eli, his site is all homebrew games for snes (and couple genesis and NES games), So let me ask you, because i see there are many knowledgable people in this forums, can you build a homebrew board for the COleco Chameleon without owning a dev kit or a prototype unit yourself? Because if Eli doesnt have one, how he was able to provide a board with his games for Mike to run flawlessly in the NY fair?
i may be wrong but i see that a bit impossible to do? i thought "well of course i'd does run your homebrew snes games flawlessly, because is a snes and you Eli know it". Because is the only thing i can think of, either Eli owns a working prototype, or he knew all the time it was a snes inside the shell and he used one of his snes boards.
Question: anyone here owns one of his homebrew games? I am fairly sure if we opened one of his carts we may see the exact same board they used in the NY fair, also PLEASE NOTE, the photo that displayed the naked board Eli brought to the fair is gone from the FB page, so i think accidentaly stumbled into something here.
I am be wrong but someone saved that photo before Mike removed it yesterday?

You got it all wrong. That board is a simple SNES board (that's what Piko develops for SNES), and they are playing on an SNES anyway.

Piko didn't know, he just plugged it in (or Mike did) and it played. He had the cart with him for lootcrate, that's what he shared with us.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 5

You got it all wrong. That board is a simple SNES board (that's what Piko develops for SNES), and they are playing on an SNES anyway.

Piko didn't know, he just plugged it in (or Mike did) and it played.

no no, that was exactly my point, i am fairly sure is a regular snes board, hence why mike removed the photo, that photo was proof

• Like 1

no no, that was exactly my point, i am fairly sure is a regular snes board, hence why mike removed the photo, that photo was proof

yeah, it was just an snes board. it was talked about quite a bit already. looks like they also deleted the 1st toyfair video where you could see the back of the system covered in tape.

edit:

here are some pics (not the same one) of the board in the system:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02/16/coleco-chameleon-console-information-kickstarter-cost/

im sure someone has that one pic saved somewhere though as i am pretty sure it was used in some youtube videos.

Edited by mickcris

This is me during all of this :P

11102611_10153184597430349_3618289856013809907_njpeg.jpg

Under a NDA, that I am spending my time working on the ColecoVisions Podcast lining up old Coleco Employee interviews and more toy content for the show. I am just following all this along, I have not really seen anything like this before affect the community so much. You have to admit it has been great to get people exposure for their youtube shows, podcasts, online blogs, etc....

I will be glad when it is all over, I just want to play my retro games and share my enthusiasm for games with fellow retronaughts!

I probably will be online to watch the live news with Pipercub and UKMike this afternoon, I am a long time listener of RGRU and have not been online in some time watch the live news recording (which is always a hoot :P)

Thanks for checking in, Willie! Love your ColecoVisions podcast, and also your contributions to Ferg's 2600 podcast. But I really LOVE your Arcade USA show. Until I watched your show, I had no idea about The Place here in Cincinnati. Thank you for that, as I have been a few times now. Did you hear Cary got an ultra rare Slap Jack cab? Only two are known to exist in the world, and one is here in Cincy at The Place. He just got it, so you may have to do another visit to our area to check it out! :)

Anyway, hopefully all of this drama with Mike and the Chameleon is not getting you down too much. Keep on "keepin' on," man!

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty sure Eli wasn't left alone inside the Holy Grail's museum case.

Piko didn't know, he just plugged it in (or Mike did) and it played. He had the cart with him for lootcrate, that's what he shared with us.

• Like 1

I read Mike's post many times over. It's amazing how he's damned good at what he does. The whole message is:

"We have no working prototype, no games (that aren't already available on cheaper and better platforms), no idea what whe're doing, no one cares anymore and we have absolutely nothing to Show or talk about."

And he Flips that into something awesome, and makes sure to reinforce the amazing acomplishments they made. Even though the only thing they accomplished was to irritate everyone.

I have to admit, he is very good at writing complete bullshit. And if I didin't know all the crap that happened I would totally believe him.

• Like 4

This was an easy out for Mike K. He has nothing real to show, and the new proto photos is the final evidence of fraud. A complete, uncut video would have changed our minds, but that's not possible, BECAUSE THAT BLUE PCB DOESN'T DO ANYTHING!

I would be astonished if Mike tried this shtick for a third time. It's over folks. Pack it up. Nothing more to see here.

Prove me wrong Mike. Show us the video. I DARE YOU.

Edited by Retro Nick
  • Like 4

I read Mike's post many times over. It's amazing how he's damned good at what he does. The whole message is:

"We have no working prototype, no games (that aren't already available on cheaper and better platforms), no idea what whe're doing, no one cares anymore and we have absolutely nothing to Show or talk about."

And he Flips that into something awesome, and makes sure to reinforce the amazing acomplishments they made. Even though the only thing they accomplished was to irritate everyone.

I have to admit, he is very good at writing complete bullshit. And if I didin't know all the crap that happened I would totally believe him.

I'll give him this: if he's looking for another avocation, now that he's been effectively driven out of classic gaming, he'd make one hell of a televangelist.

• Like 7

I've been looking at the new pics a lot, I noticed two things. First the board from center to right (looking down) is very narrow and the cartridge in the shell over hangs off the edge. Secondly the player one USB port has a pin header directly behind it, so close its touching the back of the USB. Those are really weird design choices for what's meant to be a custom board. Also the placement of the LED ( which is laying on its side) is very strange . it seems two wires (red and black) lead from the LED to some power header elsewhere. So why not place it where its intended to be? Some of you guys were talking about modifying the case but it would be far cheaper to just design the board correctly. Something is very off about this and that board looks really familiar. I'm still looking into it

• Like 7