IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I've been looking at the new pics a lot, I noticed two things. First the board from center to right (looking down) is very narrow and the cartridge in the shell over hangs off the edge. Secondly the player one USB port has a pin header directly behind it, so close its touching the back of the USB. Those are really weird design choices for what's meant to be a custom board. Also the placement of the LED ( which is laying on its side) is very strange . it seems two wires (red and black) lead from the LED to some power header elsewhere. So why not place it where its intended to be? Some of you guys were talking about modifying the case but it would be far cheaper to just design the board correctly. Something is very off about this and that board looks really familiar. I'm still looking into it

What would be cheaper and better, would be to design the board for it's functionality, and then afterwards design a case that fits that. But this talk is a year old by this Point. Don't try to make any sense of this whatsoever. What's the Point of trying to figure this new prototype out now? Next week Mike could come up with something completely different. There's no Point anymore.

We've gone from promises and smoke and mirrors to just random Claims with no logic behind them. This has left reality. Mike is literally living full time in Retroland. Either you leave humanity behind and embrance the collectard in you, and go live there with him, or you'll never make any sense of this. It's over. (it's been over since before the IGG campaign, but now the lies have piled up so much it's not believable anymore)

• Like 2

Yes true but its all just strange. And I know its all bullshit but its Saturday, no work and my girls working so I'm pretty bored lol. Its just something fun to do :) . the biggest thing is that board from what I see cannot support a cartridge. Could someone link me the pics from the FB update? I only have twitter so I can't see them easily

Going back now to look at Carlsen's RVGS prototype in the infamous 'power supply' video. At a distance the placement of the 'all important' power on LED looks similar but the board looks to be a different configuration. Could this be one of John's WIP boards in there? Carlsen was involved with them for the better part of a year. I'm sure there's something tangible he worked on in that time.

Also, what is that gear edge like plastic material you can see inside the clear top of the Chameleon prototype? Is it a shelf of standoff for the board inside, or a reflection of something above the console?

Here we are again, scrutinizing these pictures like they were the Zapruder or Patterson-Gimlin films. I feel like I've fallen into a trap again.

Is it this one?

https://vimeo.com/139674335

I think it's the Vimeo account of the guy who made it for Mike. He also done some others for him:

At least the video guy is making some money out of all this, unless he's being paid in 'stock' in one of the Retro group of 'companies'.

Thanks! I have back ups of all the video clips but thought that clip of him going to check out the tooling was lost for good!

It's amazing how Mike looks so healthy in that video and looks like shit now.

• Like 4

At this point, I'm not sure which would please Mike Kennedy more: to continue being the center of all this attention, or to get away from the glare for a while until the heat is off.

As weary as we all are of tracking this story so closely, parsing every statement and examining every "sizzle video" and "prototype photo" in minute detail, I think it's important for all of us to continue to keep a watchful eye on what the likes of Mike Kennedy are doing. I'm sure that his old friends are telling the truth when they say that he started out with sincere (if misguided) intentions, but whether he started that way or as a deliberate snake oil salesman, the result is pretty much the same. Unfortunate.

As SD&R says in his most recent video, the fact that our little hobby of classic gaming is attracting people like this is a sign that it's grown and matured into something bigger and more lucrative. And, at the risk of flattering ourselves, I think the fact that we (meaning those of us here on AtariAge, podcasts like Game Escape and the CUPodcast, etc.) were able to join together and shut this project down—or at least played a role in hastening its demise—is another sign of health. I can only hope that the RVGS/Chameleon story will serve as a cautionary tale for others who might consider pulling the same tricks in the future.

• Like 3

Okay, forgive me if this was already brought here before, but is hard to check over 135+ pages for something like this. Now this may be silly or something very easy to counter argument, i am no developer and not sure what you need to make a custom board to test a game in a new console.

But i find funny this post in the Retro VSG (oh scuse me, Coleco Chameleon) page.

attachicon.gifColeco Cahameleon Eli.jpg

okay, this guy Eli, his site is all homebrew games for snes (and couple genesis and NES games), So let me ask you, because i see there are many knowledgable people in this forums, can you build a homebrew board for the COleco Chameleon without owning a dev kit or a prototype unit yourself? Because if Eli doesnt have one, how he was able to provide a board with his games for Mike to run flawlessly in the NY fair?
i may be wrong but i see that a bit impossible to do? i thought "well of course i'd does run your homebrew snes games flawlessly, because is a snes and you Eli know it". Because is the only thing i can think of, either Eli owns a working prototype, or he knew all the time it was a snes inside the shell and he used one of his snes boards.
Question: anyone here owns one of his homebrew games? I am fairly sure if we opened one of his carts we may see the exact same board they used in the NY fair, also PLEASE NOTE, the photo that displayed the naked board Eli brought to the fair is gone from the FB page, so i think accidentaly stumbled into something here.
I am be wrong but someone saved that photo before Mike removed it yesterday?

Because the prototype shown at the Toy Fair was an SNES Mini, dressed as a Chameleon, with SNES controllers, an SNES cart slot, etc... Of course Piko's SNES games would work, because it was in fact an SNES in there.

Oh shit. Okay look at the toy fair proto running caverns of death on the CRT. That's the same exact proto cart that's in the pics with the clear shell. It has the same smooth spot/tape on the top handle part. So if the toy fair proto was a SNES which is beyond a shadow of a doubt true then how could that same cart be playable on this new console? I doubt highly they have a working SNES core so I am not entertaining that idea personally

Edited by tomsa34
  • Like 2

... .

I'm sure that his old friends are telling the truth when they say that he started out with sincere (if misguided) intentions, but whether he started that way or as a deliberate snake oil salesman, the result is pretty much the same. Unfortunate.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Even if he had some at the beginning he quickly turned to $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Edited by phoenixdownita

Oh shit. Okay look at the toy fair proto running caverns of death on the CRT. That's the same exact proto cart that's in the pics with the clear shell. It has the same smooth spot/tape on the top handle part. So if the toy fair proto was a SNES which is beyond a shadow of a doubt true then how could that same cart be playable on this new console? I doubt highly they have a working SNES core so I am not entertaining that idea personally

It's not the same.

The Toy Fair cart is only the front of a Jag cart with a piece of flat plastic holding the back.

This new cart is a complete Jag cart. It doesn't sit high like the Toy Fair proto, it's too deep in the Jag shell. Most likely, it is not connected to the prototype and is just resting on the board. Even more likely, the video signal is not coming from the prototype.

rvgs_021216_update.jpg

rvgs_022616_pic2.jpg

• Like 1

Simply, it is not the same cartridge. The one seen in the picture with the CRT TV and at the Toy Fair booth was a sd2snes board taped to the front half of a Jaguar cartridge shell. The tape seem to be in corrispondence with the mini usb port of the sd2snes board judging by the pictures I've seen. In the second "prototype" the cart shell is complete with the back half and they put the tape to match the one pictured before. For what we know, It can just be an empty cart shell in the latest picture, as the board in the clear console could be something scavenged from some random electronic equipment and therefore there might not be any connector to plug a cart into...

Actually upon further inspection the toy fair cart has a square hole in the top left of the face . hmm

That is because that particular cart was simply a SD2SNES cart, loaded with the ROMs of the games shown, plugged into the mini SNES hidden in the Jag shell.

Original SD2SNES Picture courtesy of the Nightfall crew:

IMG_0493.jpg

Someone in this thread made a side by side comparison where you can clearly see the shape being the same and even spot the LED's in the top left next to the square notch too.

But remember this was from the Toy Fair con-otype, which is apparently very different from this new one that could as well be whatever PCB they could find stuffed into a "clear" shell.