IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Holy shit...

I last view this thread early Thursday AM. 111 pages.

I come back Sunday night. 146 pages.

I'm guessing I missed a lot. :-o

I thought it might be dead by now, but people are still looking and posting:

17 members, 25 guests, 2 anonymous cowards

And MiST is not a consumer-ready product. Do you think my idiot sister would know what do with one of those? Can you buy one at Target? I thought so..

Anybody who can understand cartridges can understand using a nicely labeled SD cart instead. It takes a few minutes to get a few roms and set up one, but it's DYI as I don't think any console company/brand will want to touch it with a ten foot pole (due to lack of DRM/copy protection).

For computers it's a bit different because the user is expected to have their own media. There's at least one reseller offering a MiST plus commercial software pre-installed so you're good to go. It has a steep premium but I suppose it has a market.

Perhaps Mike/"Coleco" should try to offer his company services as a subscription to tech support to get stuff running on existing hardware. Hard-core tech heads like us won't care but for joe public it might be an attractive proposition...

• Like 1

You want closure at funerals, not dumb-ass "because cartridges" internet projects.

I think this has pretty-much turned into a funeral at this point. The Chameleon is all-but dead and buried.

Mike will still continue to post vague updates like "Talked again with Toys-R-Us today and I can already smell the ink drying".

It smells of something... not sure that it's ink.

I last view this thread early Thursday AM. 111 pages.

I come back Sunday night. 146 pages.

I'm guessing I missed a lot. :-o

Actually, the whole point is: you missed absolutely nothing.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 6

If you think there was no malice, then give him your money and see what happens.

On his big day, the morning launch of his Kickstarter, he disappeared without leaving anyone a word. Then reappeared only to pull some ham-fisted story out of his ass about delaying it "to make it even better!"

Now ask yourself- what do you think he's going to do when the expected delivery date comes up? If he can't even face the music and be honest on the day he's been hyping for two weeks when "all will be revealed." The same day he kept repeating while he was at a professional expo. Then how the hell do you expect him to be open and honest to his lowly backers when things really turn south??

I consider it elimination by natural selection - because I'm huge fan of finished, real, tangible products I can buy in the here and now. I have low tolerance for promises of when something will become available. Backing things isn't much my style. Don't read that as a "superior attitude" or anything. I just like real things I can see, touch, and feel before handing over cash.

That's why I so impressed with the Apple II back in the day. It was totally open for all to see. Granted as a kid I wasn't thinking along the lines of is this real, does it really work. No. I was wondering about what the black things were.

i know one thing, there wont be any Coleco Chameleon in any store shelves ready for the holiday season, haters and nay sayers will be blamed.

None of my money flows in that direction then. And that's ok.

I prefet the term "consumer watchdog" over"witch hunt". As for malice, he may have started out with nobel intentions, but it morphed into something else along the way.

Maybe so. The dog's real angry it would seem.

• Like 1

Anybody who can understand cartridges can understand using a nicely labeled SD cart instead. It takes a few minutes to get a few roms and set up one, but it's DYI as I don't think any console company/brand will want to touch it with a ten foot pole (due to lack of DRM/copy protection).

For computers it's a bit different because the user is expected to have their own media. There's at least one reseller offering a MiST plus commercial software pre-installed so you're good to go. It has a steep premium but I suppose it has a market.

Perhaps Mike/"Coleco" should try to offer his company services as a subscription to tech support to get stuff running on existing hardware. Hard-core tech heads like us won't care but for joe public it might be an attractive proposition...

While the "magic" might not be as intense as a wall full of "Game Programs", it's pretty nice to have a billfold with hi-density SD cards and your favorite games. If just for the sake of physical media.

MiST is hostile to the consumer because you have to understand file systems, even if only on a rudimentary level. There are barge-loads of people that do not know how to copy files from computer to media. Some are dumb enough that they want to use their phone to do it!

MiST is hostile to corporations because, like you say, no DRM is present.

In the past I've "sold" my services in setting up both emulation rigs and arcade cabs, built around modern day hardware. There's a lot of folks that just need a kick in the ass and a little hand holding to get going.

I consider it elimination by natural selection

So do I. But we might not be talking about the same thing.

Anyone who loses their money to such an obvious scam would have just as readily spent that money on magic beans. The facts are out there for anyone to find with just a few seconds of searching, there are no victims here if anyone loses money to this scam, it's just natural selection.

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 1

While the "magic" might not be as intense as a wall full of "Game Programs", it's pretty nice to have a billfold with hi-density SD cards and your favorite games. If

(...)

In the past I've "sold" my services in setting up both emulation rigs and arcade cabs, built around modern day hardware. There's a lot of folks that just need a kick in the ass and a little hand holding to get going.

Exactly, and these are general problems for PC/emu boxes too, except maybe for the Retro Freak and Retron 5 that already cater for that "keep it stupid simple" niche by using old carts.

Where there could be some interest is selling a low-cost boxes of homebrew with a box and a nice SD card with everything needed (you could make it run on a MiST and autorun on PC). Only problem is I see it being a legal nightmare as homebrew authors and artists both will want to get paid (of course) and it gives incentives not to release the ROMs in the public domain in the first place.

• Like 1

Not sure why there is so much hate.

He already has a working prototype, fully snes compatible. My guess is that it is due to a lack of "Blast Processing".

1) you don't know that and 2) Mike won't prove that.

If you are being real, and you truly don't understand why people resent Mike by this point, then I equally don't understand why you've decide that the best place to make your case is on AtariAge. Here's an idea for you that has a much greater chance of success and you'll be helping your pal Mike: go ask all of your closest family, friends, co-workers and loved ones to pledge their money to his project. You'll help him get his dream funded and I'm sure they'll never harbor any animosity towards him, or you, because of course this is going to have a happy fairy tale ending.

• Like 1

So no one has figured out exactly what that board is in the clear shell photos?

No one can identify it, mainly because the photo unclear and doesn't show much

Believe Dev FGPA boards have been ruled out, since it has a lot of ele caps, and production boards and custom boards are getting pretty cheap

Honest opinion from readers/subscribers.

Would you recommend I pick up some digital editions of RETRO?

Or stick with Retro Gamer? (RETRO 'seems' very US-centric).

Let's put it this way - I have a standing "subscription" at my local magazine dealer whereby he sets aside an issue of Retro Gamer for me every month, which I come in and buy the day it comes out (so that I can review each issue for my website, and also because I want to have every issue.) I have subscribed to Retro since issue 1. Issue 2-current are still in their original mailing bags.

• Like 2

The person he needs to call is Ben Heckendorn.

He already tried that:

Heard about this crowdsourced project and remembered I had it pitched to me about a year ago. Checked my email to confirm... it was these guys! I recall thinking it was a very strange concept at the time, but seems like they went for it?

[...]

I believe Mike wanted my help with industrial design but yes, I didn't think it sounded like a good idea and never really followed up.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-141?do=findComment&comment=3335423

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-142?do=findComment&comment=3335639

• Like 2

They should totally just sell sheets of those stickers.

The latest one's not bad--I'd buy a hundred.

They could fund their console, I could make better pics making fun of it--it's win-win.

aD2WEVom.jpg

Funny you should mention that. Once my scart cable arrives, I actually plan on turning the black turd on again. 'Play me some baldies.

Hey, I would happily stick one on my SNES. Sadly, I don't have a Jag to apply a label too. :lolblue:

Uncorrelated but Pi3 on sale:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

64bit quad core A53 at 1.2Ghz, 50-60% perf increase for 32bit apps, not sure about 64bits apps (you'd want more memory at that point).
Integrated WiFi and BT 4.0.

Same 35US$ price ..... sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

Uncorrelated but Pi3 on sale:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

64bit quad core A53 at 1.2Ghz, 50-60% perf increase for 32bit apps, not sure about 64bits apps (you'd want more memory at that point).

Integrated WiFi and BT 4.0.

Same 35US$ price ..... sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Where can I buy one right now for $35 from US based supplier? I read the article but no links on where to buy. :???:

• Like 2

Not sure why there is so much hate.

He already has a working prototype, fully snes compatible. My guess is that it is due to a lack of "Blast Processing".

1) you don't know that and 2) Mike won't prove that.

If you are being real, and you truly don't understand why people resent Mike by this point, then I equally don't understand why you've decide that the best place to make your case is on AtariAge. Here's an idea for you that has a much greater chance of success and you'll be helping your pal Mike: go ask all of your closest family, friends, co-workers and loved ones to pledge their money to his project. You'll help him get his dream funded and I'm sure they'll never harbor any animosity towards him, or you, because of course this is going to have a happy fairy tale ending.

1)I said it was "fully snes compatible" because he has stuffed a nintendo snes board inside a Jaguar case. (This has been proven, check youtube)

2)I said it lacks "Blast processing" because there is no way in hell that this thing is going to play Genesis/Megadrive games. (Or any other system games).

In short, I was making fun of his attempt at a retro console. Most intelligent people could see this.

• Like 5