IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

When i first found AA, because of the RVGS - I promptly subscribed because I felt that I should. My logic was simple; This is a nice website and if these people are going to take the time to read my insanity and snark then the least I can do is sub for at least year.

I've said time and time again, I found amazing people because of this mess. I will always be grateful for that. I found amazing games and consoles because of it as well, I'm looking at you AA Purchase and the incredible 5200 I bought off Shawn. Seriously man, I am in love with this console (ironically that I swore I would never own from all the plagues of problems they're known for and its beastly size). This one is an amazing little package and I'll have to post it's welcome home montage in the 5200 forum but this is neither the time nor place for that.

As for this topic though, none of it matters. We aren't the target audience for this, at least, we aren't anymore. Maybe when the project was first thought up but not what it's become. We can speculate and deconstruct and figure out everything the CC team posts, tweet, videos or puts pictures up of. Hell, you guys did just that. You all are insanely talented and so passionate about this hobby that the truth comes out so quickly. The problem is, the CC team doesn't care about us. As a matter of fact, they don't need to sell the Chameleon to us. Mike and crew just need to shove a SNES on a Chip into a Jaguar shell with a new edge connector. That's it. That can be the Chameleon and there are people who will buy it. Maybe a grandma for their kids, maybe a kid thinking about retro and seeing it in a store, maybe a dude our ages who wants it as an impulse buy because he remembers Coleco from his childhood. Those people will add up dotted across the country to a nice, healthy profit return for Mr. Kennedy. It isn't the one he initially envisioned but it profit. He'll find people willing to port out games to it, they might not be the people who are there now, but he'll find people. That will be be that. The world gets their cartridge console and Mike gets his money. Sun rise, Sun set.

Thanks for putting up with my stupid posts guys. You're all pretty great people.

• Like 16

That can be the Chameleon and there are people who will buy it. Maybe a grandma for their kids, maybe a kid thinking about retro and seeing it in a store, maybe a dude our ages who wants it as an impulse buy because he remembers Coleco from his childhood. Those people will add up dotted across the country to a nice, healthy profit return for Mr. Kennedy. It isn't the one he initially envisioned but it profit. He'll find people willing to port out games to it, they might not be the people who are there now, but he'll find people. That will be be that. The world gets their cartridge console and Mike gets his money. Sun rise, Sun set..

I don't agree, I can't see many people making a $150 impulse purchase for a console that comes with a single game, and you need to purchase additional game cartridges at $20-$30 a pop. Not when all these Flashback units are sitting on store shelves right next to the Coleco Chameleon, featuring considerably more built-in games at a far lower price.

..Al

• Like 19

Are you aware of the Retron 5?

I have that system, isn't that retroarch, however, and not 'hardware emulation'?

It dumps the rom from the carts on the fly, and plays them. Or if you have one original cart, you can get it to play any other rom, by using the patch system on an original rom.

My fear is the actual MRSP is gonna be closer to an Ouya. I don't know what he's thinking carts yet. The KS tier preview vanished so, someones rethinking something a bit.

Really upsets me. Chip on a syst with a edge connect. I give up.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=EgIIAg%253D%253D&q=coleco+chameleon

10 new videos regarding the coleco chameleon posted to youtube today, some of them parodies, some of them rants. ive watched a few of them now. its about half and half, some of them have a decent number of subs too. i would expect a good influx of new users for sure with all these guys doing the rants citing the forums. this guy is pissed, check it out. he's got #mikekennedyapology hashtagged right on the vid!

• Like 2

I'm only calling you out because there are several people in here, including yourself, whose reasons for being here are, ostensibly, entirely self-serving. As soon as this whole drama is over, you'll all be gone.

Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to take an oath to AtariAge before I can declare my interest in this topic. Because y'know, AtariAge is the only forum this topic is discussed in.

Why do you care? Ask CPUWiz, he wants us all gone and for this topic to die off, they can't wait to unload us. Which begs another question- why would I want to subscribe to a forum where a mod has expressed his desire to shut down the part I find most interesting?

• Like 6

Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't know I had to take an oath to AtariAge before I can declare my interest in this topic. Because y'know, AtariAge is the only forum this topic is discussed in.

Why do you care? Ask CPUWiz, he wants us all gone and for this topic to die off, they can't wait to unload us. Which begs another question- why would I want to subscribe to a forum where a mod has expressed his desire to shut down the part I find most interesting?

While I appreciate Jibbajaba's desire to get more people to buy a subscription, nobody should be called out if they choose not to do so. That's why it's optional. I want everyone to be able to use the forum for free, and if they want to contribute because they enjoy the site and it's not a financial burden to do so, great. But I'm not going to be critical of anyone who chooses not to buy a subscription (which is the majority of people), even if they are benefitting in some way from the site.

As for CPUWIZ, that's just his sense of humor, so please don't take that particular statement seriously.

..Al

• Like 22

10 new videos regarding the coleco chameleon posted to youtube today, some of them parodies, some of them rants. ive watched a few of them now. its about half and half, some of them have a decent number of subs too. i would expect a good influx of new users for sure with all these guys doing the rants citing the forums. this guy is pissed, check it out. he's got #mikekennedyapology hashtagged right on the vid!

Thanks, I need to go watch these new videos.

..Al

• Like 1

I wonder, will it make the news? You know the tech/geeky section in some local TV news maybe as a reminder to the danger of crowdfunding (or pre-crowdfunding in this case) but also as a testament of collectives that do not take bs.

It's ironic, the CC didn't even make it to the crowdfunding phase .... last time the RVGS reached the IGG start and then it got served, this time with 4 new members of the team (all executives and big wigs) and the support of Coleco (bought, but still), they could not even get that far .....

• Like 1

While I appreciate Jibbajaba's desire to get more people to buy a subscription, nobody should be called out if they choose not to do so. That's why it's optional. I want everyone to be able to use the forum for free, and if they want to contribute because they enjoy the site and it's not a financial burden to do so, great. But I'm not going to be critical of anyone who chooses not to buy a subscription (which is the majority of people), even if they are benefitting in some way from the site.

As for CPUWIZ, that's just his sense of humor, so please don't take that particular statement seriously.

..Al

E'rybody luh Al and CPUWIZ like play cousins.

We have different attitudes towards the internet and the best way information should be spread. I don't think information should cost anything either to access or post. Yes, that's a very utopian la-dee-dah view of the world, but I think it is something that can be accomplished on the internet and no where else.

So basically, the idea is you are free to do as you please as long as someone else is paying for it. Gotcha.

This isn't so much a jab at you or for not subscribing (like Al said, the intention of the forum is to be free, but if you'd like to donate, the option is there), but more so at the idea that information shouldn't cost anything in certain cases. The fact is.. it's not cheap running a site like this, or for other places hosting the videos you make. I just think that some people with an "internet-utopia" mindset often forget that part of the equation.

• Like 1

I wonder, will it make the news? You know the tech/geeky section in some local TV news maybe as a reminder to the danger of crowdfunding (or pre-crowdfunding in this case) but also as a testament of collectives that do not take bs.

It's ironic, the CC didn't even make it to the crowdfunding phase .... last time the RVGS reached the IGG start and then it got served, this time with 4 new members of the team (all executives and big wigs) and the support of Coleco (bought, but still), they could not even get that far .....

This is why I don't like how the recent witch hunt has gone down. If the KS would have been successful, I'd understand a sense of urgency to warn everyone, but most people by now know. Mike wouldn't raise nearly enough to meet his goal on his best day by now, so the last thing we need to do is jump down the throats of everyone who has ever supported/worked alongside/been a fan of his system. It's not needed at this point in the game. The damage has been done. Crit hits, yo.

• Like 2

So basically, the idea is you are free to do as you please as long as someone else is paying for it. Gotcha.

This isn't so much a jab at you or for not subscribing (like Al said, the intention of the forum is to be free, but if you'd like to donate, the option is there), but more so at the idea that information shouldn't cost anything in certain cases. The fact is.. it's not cheap running a site like this, or some other place hosting the videos you make. I think some people with that utopian mindset forget that part of the equation.

In fairness, why attack the guy who doesn't monetize his videos and uses his own money to create content without getting a dime back, nor asking for it, when tons of others are making big money on covering this debacle and they don't get any shit flung at them?

And I don't want shit flung at those making cash, I just am pointing out what I see as integral/important to your post.

• Like 7

check it out, here's a vid mike uploaded where he pays $650 for over $4k worth of neo geo stuff. theres 30 or 40 more on his youtube channel too. for all the gloating he himself has done over ripping people off, what he is getting here is virtually nil. nothing is being taken too far here when you take into account that mike literally made a name for himself by ripping people off, and had we not been so vocal, he may have done it on a much greater scale.

I don't see how the sellers agreeing to $650 is ripping them off. Ripping them off would be grabbing the NEO GEO gear and running.

• Like 4

Can't let this go .... (originally Posted Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:58 AM)
Red emphasis all mine, obviously.

Hello Everyone.

It is the end of a very tumultuous year for me and in the spirit of Christmas and the holidays I wanted to come in here and ask those of you who will listen to let the past be the past as it relates to this (ad)venture. RETRO VGS is the past and COLECO Chameleon is the future. The Chameleon is not just a rebranded Retro VGS. Despite sharing some of the same internal components the hardware has been completely redesigned to lower the cost while maintaining much of its ability to play a wide variety of games in a variety of ways. To boil this all down to its essence we just want to produce a product that is different, affordable and will bring joy to people’s lives. The market will ultimately decide if we are crazy enough to believe a cartridge console can stand its ground in this age of digital delivery. There are clearly lots of people on both sides of this fence and ultimately it will all come down to the games that can be played and if they are compelling enough to vie for peoples hard earned money.

The COLECO branding was a business decision I made to bring instant brand recognition to the Chameleon. But I did not enter into this licensing agreement lightly, knowing that if done so, we have a lot to live up to. COLECO made some very influential, high quality and fun video gaming and electronic products during their time and we will try endlessly to carry on that tradition with the Chameleon. The recognition of having the COLECO logo on the system and the (game and console) boxes will make the Chameleon immediately identifiable by millions of people right from the beginning. In the end this is a good thing for all involved including us, our customers, our suppliers and distributors, our contract manufactures, potential retailers and probably most importantly to game developers. Mark and Chris at River West/Coleco Holdings are also very behind this product and will be helping out in a variety of ways, beginning by inviting us into their booth at Toy Fair which is where they want to officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways.

We know we have a mountain to climb and are prepared to do what it takes to plant a flag at the top. I will once again apologize to all of you for at times dissing some individuals and this community but it was hard being criticized by a group of my Atari and classic game lovin’ peers. I let it get to me on occasion and I do regret all of it. I am aware that we gave you all plenty to poke fun at and criticize but in the end, I believe the product will be much better for going through all of this. In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence. And given the chance that is what I will do.

All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year. And finally, let’s respect one another and our opinions (some advice I am directing towards myself) and that goes for both believers and non-believers of what we are trying to do. In the end, we all love and are passionate about video games and sometimes this passion causes us to do uncharacteristic things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

- Mike

• Like 11

well, i feel that often the sellers never know what they have, or they dont have the means to get that kind of money for it. some of those big game hunter vids, he really leans on the people selling stuff, to the point of badgering them with lowball offers. i watched one vid last night and there was a boxed computer system that they wanted $100 for, he didnt want to leave it there. he waited to see if they'd take his offer, they said no, he came back, offered them $60 or 65, they said no, he came back a third time and offered them 80 or 85. bottom line, mike is the kind of guy that wouldnt feel bad buying 17 neo geo games and a system from someone for $650 and turning around and flipping it all for max profit. i would like to think i still live in a world where most people around me would feel guilty taking that big of an advantage of people who need money.

edit: also, i forgot to mention that he talked the sellers down from $1000 to $650...so maybe they did know a little bit of what they had. who knows! he probably shot em a 450 offer to start out.

Edited by shawnphase
  • Like 1

In fairness, why attack the guy who doesn't monetize his videos and uses his own money to create content without getting a dime back, nor asking for it, when tons of others are making big money on covering this debacle and they don't get any shit flung at them?

And I don't want shit flung at those making cash, I just am pointing out what I see as integral/important to your post.

It isn't even about that. It's about all the drama vultures coming in here posting links to their videos and articles, trying to grab their 15 minutes of fame by going for the low-hanging fruit. Demanding that guys like Gamester81 or whatever his name is self-flagellate and offer up their pound of flesh for the satisfaction of people who were conned out of nothing but the idea of a console that they were probably never going to buy anyway, all the while dragging someone's name through the mud for their own gain. Mike Kennedy has done a lot of dumb stuff, but he's still a human being.

• Like 13

Then I'd say that's his loss. ;)

On a more serious note, JibbaJabba summed it up nicely in the post before this. :thumbsup:

I see, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am not, forgot about that. :dunce: If I had the desire to shut this down, I could have.

• Like 6

I do agree some people are taking things to far, such as harassing people that are somehow related to this mess to respond.

Believe a bunch of people bombed Gamester81 YouTube videos with stupid statements on this mess.

Reason people should be angry is that Mike didn't act professionally and Honorable

• Like 2

....Kennedy has done a lot of dumb stuff, but he's still a human being.

True, so was Charles Ponzi .... not getting any sympathies either.

[i don't want to use way worse human beings in the comparison as it would not make sense but you got the point .... if anyone decides to break the rules he doesn't also get to decide the price to pay when you get caught .... I am not talking biblical punishment here but 4 or 5 days of forum slinging shit back at him is really not that much, is it?]

Mike Kennedy has done a lot of dumb stuff, but he's still a human being.

What if he's a shape-shifting reptilian alien from another dimension that feeds on negative energy? The people posting in this thread could be doing exactly what he wants. You could be threatening his food supply. If you see an unusual light in the sky headed your way, you might want to run.

• Like 11

True, so was Charles Ponzi .... not getting any sympathies either.

[i don't want to use way worse human beings in the comparison as it would not make sense but you got the point .... if anyone decides to break the rules he doesn't also get to decide the price to pay when you get caught .... I am not talking biblical punishment here but 4 or 5 days of forum slinging shit back at him is really not that much, is it?]

Really? We're going to compare Mike Kennedy to Charles Ponzi? Why didn't you just go with Bernie Madoff while you're at it? Has Godwin's Law been satisfied yet? Has Kennedy been compared to Hitler?

Mike Kennedy is, at worst, a really bad businessman. Oooooooh. You build the gallows and I'll tie the knot.

Edit: As usual, Random Terrain is the only one speaking sensibly around here.

• Like 7