IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

People, please remember Al and CPUWIZ's warnings about the thread -- keep it civil. We don't want it locked, please.

What would we do for our entertainment if it was? :-D

Start a new thread. IIRC, this thread started less than 24 hours after the old one got locked. 410 pages and counting. You just can't kill this beast... :cool:

for those calling it criminal or deception(actually yes it is deception, but not necessarily malice) I'll say again it seems way more of incompetence, over ambition, and terrible priorities,

Think about how much trouble the Atari 7800 and colecovision upgrades had in there development and they weren't nearly as ambitious.

plus he sunk a lot of money into the Jaguar molds and let's face it, this is far from the first product in which smoke and mirrors was used to get something off the ground. Looking at professional game development for 5 minutes unfulfilled promises, staged demoes, fake everything isn't uncommon. Frankly if it wasn't for living in the age of internet lynch mobs maybe this all would have ended up fine with a working unit mass produced system a year or two down the line

shame so many loud people always want blood even when things don't work out how they want, frankly I really hate the backers that want full and complete guarantees on crowd funding, things like all the people flipping out over mighty nine , development doesn't always go as planned. Same with Ouya maybe if the internet didn't dog pile on it after a rough launch it would have been fine, Frankly I think internet blood lust is stifling competition and innovations, All big companies have all sorts of problems but they're more likely to have the resources to push there way through, smaller companies can't, IF you actually believe in the little guy, cut him some slack, don't give Mike Kennedy any money unless he has something concrete but stop howling for him to end up as hermit because he let pride and ambition cloud his judgment. Not like anyone has been harmed in any way shape or form by his actions, but yours could have chilling effect on others who might be willing to try something.

mmmkeyyyyyy.

I pretend this is not a joke because it gives me a nice trampoline to reiterate over the last event, just in case some reader still believes.

I would also pretend to respond to your non-joke joke I guess.

In short you are saying that it was simply utter incompetence that slammed a Capture Card with a bright lit red led taped over it, into a clear Jag shell, with a cart inserted that says (and I quote) "Coleco Chameleon Prototype 1", and a TV that appears to be showing a multi cart menu so that we all see that the system is real, it is actually turned on right at that moment and it plays real carts .... as a way to say "see you haters, we told you we have a stinking prototype".

Dunno, as a con artist he seems pretty competent to me .... instead of incompetence I would call (as I just found out) superciliousness (never heard of the word before, but I pretend that via incompetence alibi I can use that word as a prototype for the word hubris instead, which also I don't get to use much but may as well take out the big words once every so often even if they are out of place, you know like the Capture Card).

Simply put: NO INCOMPETENCE, all was INTENTIONAL

[let alone the creation of at least 3 different entities to play "IP-shuffle now you see it now you don't" to fool his own pals]

Finally let's remember that the various teams didn't know about each other, Steve Woita didn't know kevtris left their posse a couple weeks before the live interview he was dragged in, but Mike was quick in feeding him something (about sour grapes or alike I think).

And we just know the tip of the iceberg, the rest will come out in time, and I'm sure "THE DEFENSE PLEADS INCOMPETENCE YOUR HONOR" would not cut it.

• Like 5

Onslaught, Custodian, Jim Power, Skweek; also working on Apydia and Gem'x

Well, as you may know CJ is attempting to release Xenon 2 with a new soundtrack (some music right issue with the original one prevents them to use it).

It's gonna be a cart, based on that experience once it's out you can collect info and figure out if it is a worthy endeavor to pursue or not.

I'm pretty sure you know where to get in touch, if not it's in the Jag forum but pay attention as that forum is for "real men" only.

Keep in mind they managed to get the original RVGS thread booted out of there .... a feat if you ask me, they are that tough.

• Like 3

Did Janus posts just get deleted? I posted a clever pun in response to his post using Kool Ai Man boxart.

Mods are hard at work it seems...

Yes, I removed his last post, your response, and him from the thread. I've had enough of the trolling, which is essentially what it was, and too many people responding to his posts not knowing they weren't serious.

..Al

• Like 24

Sorry, Albert. I'll try to remember my own advice: stop feeding the trolls.

On a more interesting note: Nintendo Legend has just posted an interview with Steve Tom Sawyer, a former Mike Kennedy associate. I've only just started listening, but so far it sounds very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl754JuG1vw&feature=youtu.be

• Like 10

Well, as you may know CJ is attempting to release Xenon 2 with a new soundtrack (some music right issue with the original one prevents them to use it).

It's gonna be a cart, based on that experience once it's out you can collect info and figure out if it is a worthy endeavor to pursue or not.

I'm pretty sure you know where to get in touch, if not it's in the Jag forum but pay attention as that forum is for "real men" only.

Keep in mind they managed to get the original RVGS thread booted out of there .... a feat if you ask me, they are that tough.

Hum; Ive been working to get the bitmap brothers library licensend; may be closing soon.

about the Jaguar forum, my lumberjack beard and face scars will protect me.

• Like 5

Don't know how many people go to Digital Press now a days, but a Coleco Chameleon shill (most like Mike Kennedy or a close associate) is posting in the thread there. Pretty hilarious stuff.

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?174020-RetroVGS-Coleco-Chameleon-New-Retro-Console-Epic-Disaster&p=2036009&viewfull=1#post2036009

LOL, that was entertaining, thanks for sharing.

..Al

• Like 4

Also, I talked to Songbird today and picked his brain :). I think we would support the Jaguar on our upcoming Jim power KS.

It would be nes, snes, genesis, jaguar, turbo grafx, amiga, and PC.

• Like 9

I check all the Samsung and Toshiba DVD players when I go to thrift store hoping to get a Nuon.

Haven't found one yet, but I did get a Phillips CD-I.

I have found 3 Toshiba and 1 Samsung Nuon players, I have an extra Toshiba with remote ;P I cannot seem to steer clear of these things!

• Like 2

for those calling it criminal or deception(actually yes it is deception, but not necessarily malice) I'll say again it seems way more of incompetence, over ambition, and terrible priorities,

Think about how much trouble the Atari 7800 and colecovision upgrades had in there development and they weren't nearly as ambitious.

plus he sunk a lot of money into the Jaguar molds and let's face it, this is far from the first product in which smoke and mirrors was used to get something off the ground. Looking at professional game development for 5 minutes unfulfilled promises, staged demoes, fake everything isn't uncommon. Frankly if it wasn't for living in the age of internet lynch mobs maybe this all would have ended up fine with a working unit mass produced system a year or two down the line

I'm just going to chime in here and offer an industry perspective to the matter.

Firstly with regards to criminal / deception, while it's simply deception to the general public, the matter can become a legal one depending on the statements made and how they relate to agreements MK has with suppliers, development teams, software companies and indeed, Coleco for licensing.

If for example, I was to license the content from a game for a themed product, I would be legally obligated to present either mock up or genuine prototypes of the product to the company the license was obtained from, misleading or outright lying to the company that licensed the product is an *extremely* bad move, which can very easily lead to court room battles.

In outright faking the existence of a product, MK and co are not just misleading potential customers, they are dragging the associated licenses through the mud, and there in lies the primary issue.

It is perfectly fine for a company to show off mockup hardware and even call that hardware "working" even if it isn't, as long as the product is theirs, unethical yes, but still their own brand thus they're not impacting anyone else in doing so, if your product hinges largely on a licensed name, your actions directly impact the licensing company and their brand.

If this thing was RetroVGS Chameleon, that would be one thing, but this is Coleco Chameleon, so now all of the negative news floating around is being directly associated with Coleco, even though they themselves are simply the licensing company.

The money MK sank in to the molds he got back in selling shells, he stated this himself, he could have continued to make money from the molds without trying to make a new console with them, and it was his choice to buy the molds, so him buying them has absolutely nothing to do with how people should react to the news of being lied to about a products existence.

When vaporware is shown, and even things like the failed Phantom, at the very least the companies that released these teasers had every intention of making the product but either fell upon major setbacks or outright just disappeared without a word, what we have here is entirely different, Mike has been caught out faking the console and its progress multiple times, the only thing we can genuinely verify is that he owns the jaguar molds, had some decals printed and sought a license from Coleco, everything that actually matters (the contents) has been an outright fabrication, a fabrication that this week Coleco themselves are going to discover, and will no doubt snatch the license from under Mikes feet faster than he can delete a facebook post.

And Coleco leaving at simply revoking the license is a "best case" scenario, too.

Your argument that "without the hatemobs we might have a mass produced product 1-2 years down the line" is conjecture, we could just as easily, (and more likely so) be 2-4 years down the line with not a peep from Mike and thousands of angered kickstart backers asking where the money they pledged has gone and why the console still doesn't exist., and Kickstarter wondering why they even allowed the project to be listed if it didn't even meet the requirements to be run to begin with.

Remember, MK isn't just lying to the end user, he would be lying to Kickstarter, Coleco and any other investors/related parties about the status of the project, to secure funding via fraudulent means.

The "internet hate mob" in regards to crowdfunded projects is, in my opinion, essential to the crowdfunding platform, as without it there would be little to no repercussions for fraudulent projects, the platform would be swamped by anyone willing to throw an idea on the pile and make off with a quick buck, with a platform that rife with deception the concept would last maybe 6 months before it falls on it's backside and gets largely ignored by anyone and everyone.

People are angry with Mike, and have every right to be so, the ball is in Mikes court, we'll either be "remember last year that whole chameleon thing? yeah that was dumb", or "wow Mike is still trying to kickstart that BS project, it's the 5th fake he's been caught with, will he ever learn?"

And one thing I can tell you right now, if the reality of the situation is that he *still* doesnt have an actual pcb to work with at this point, even if Coleco cut him the slack and allowed him 6 months to deliver a working prototype, not a single PCB, FPGA or electronics manufacturer will want to touch his business with a bargepole even if he approaches it in the correct manner, simply because doing so puts them at the risk of being associated with an already gutter-level project and conversely, being thrown under the bus by Mike if things don't pan out, because he has already displayed a tendency to do that with past team members.

Just my $0.02, of course.

• Like 19

Don't know how many people go to Digital Press now a days, but a Coleco Chameleon shill (most like Mike Kennedy or a close associate) is posting in the thread there. Pretty hilarious stuff.

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?174020-RetroVGS-Coleco-Chameleon-New-Retro-Console-Epic-Disaster&p=2036009&viewfull=1#post2036009

That post is scary. I fancy myself as a Mike Kennedy-ologist and I got some real shivers down my spine at some of the phrasing that was used. It sounds a lot like him. I listed to A LOT of hours of Mike on podcasts to make my videos so I know how he talks.

I can swear that Metroid 4 analogy used at the end has been used by him before. So it's either him or a super fan that knows his every word. I'll see if I can pin down that analogy this weekend, if I can find the time.

• Like 9

Btw, this thread did cause me to increase the number of "Likes" people can dole out in any given day.

..Al

That reminds me, is there a place where I can see a list of Posts that I "Liked?" I would expect there to be a "Posts I Liked" under Other, similar to "Items I Follow"

During the last few days here in AA I found out that it is somewhat easy to convert Atari ST games to Jaguar. My mind exploded!

It's so 'somewhat easy' that loads of people are doing it. In fact, you don't need to PM me about doing them for you again, because they're so easy you can do them yourself. Somewhat.

Hey, it's probably easier than printing fake consoles, at least.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 5

Those molds are cursed. They need to be encased in concrete and buried somewhere. As for why do they still exist - the Jag was discontinued in 96, and didn't Atari file for bankruptcy the same year? Probably why the Jag was discontinued anyway. So they begin selling assets to cover debt. Off they go - to who knows where, when they are eventually picked up by the dental cam people for probably a song.

Why so they could be dug up 30 years from now and some poor souls go on a video documentary and open the encased block to get their faces melted off like the poor bastards in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Naw, these molds need to be blown to bits, packed into a Rocket and shot out into space for the Extra Terrestrials to deal with..

• Like 1

Naw, these molds need to be blown to bits, packed into a Rocket and shot out into space for the Extra Terrestrials to deal with..

I disagree. I think those molds should be used to finally achieve world peace.

No, really, hear me out ...

We need to airdrop them into the middle of the biggest terrorist camp. They'll soon be so busy making plastic shells in pretty colors and trading them with each other that they'll forget all about waging war.

(Eh, maybe not ... they'll only start fighting over exclusive colors. At least they'll only be fighting with each other.)

• Like 4

It's so 'somewhat easy' that loads of people are doing it. In fact, you don't need to PM me about doing them for you again, because they're so easy you can do them yourself. Somewhat.

So you are saying we are releasing fake consoles? Where did you hear that? I'd like to see the proof. Those are strong accusations.

worse than calling the community you are part of "cash cows".

Cheers!

LOL, that was entertaining, thanks for sharing.

..Al

I can saw with a fairly high certainty that it's not SoCalMike. Doesn't mean it's not an associate or something, but if you'd like to compare some IPs Albert, I'd be glad to share notes!

Edited by PapaStu
  • Like 2