IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I'm trying to figure out the difference between desperation and normal promotion. For example, TV shows have started putting hashtags on the screen every time anything slightly noteworthy happens. Commercials aren't enough anymore? Are people actually going on Twitter and posting "#manstubbedhistoe on Survivor! Like and Retweet!!!!!!!!!!"? I hope it's a fad like Disco.

When it comes to YouTube, some people manage to make money without looking like desperate, love-starved cat ladies. For example, I don't feel like running away and taking a shower to wash off the desperation juice when I watch anything by Bad Lip Reading. There are others that are just as professional and don't make you wince within the first 5 seconds.

• Like 4

At that rate almost anything can be considered "me culture". Did you write a book and sell it for profit with your name on the cover? Me culture. Star in a movie? Me culture. Did you study hard and get good grades in the hope of landing a good job? Me culture.

I see nothing wrong with people monetizing their interests since I believe time is valuable and people should place value on their work. If people don't like it then no one is forcing them to pay for it or view it. Also, there are (legal) ways to remove ads (YouTube Red) and the creator still makes a cut. It depends on what you desire.

Personally, I like podcasts, Let's Plays, and similar things from YouTubers. Not everyone needs to like that.

Honeychild ... I don't define the "me" culture in that way. You do it well-enough by yourself.

If you want to be paid for you "commentary" ... then make it "interesting" and "worthwhile" ... otherwise "sorry".

I re-read your post several times to try to understand the point, but I'm afraid that it escapes me. I never said that anyone owed me, or any other YouTube content creator, a living wage. I am sorry that you seem to think that anyone who creates YouTube content is either trying to cash in, or trying to become famous (some certainly are). I started making videos because I enjoyed it and because it's a creative outlet for me. That being said, my channel has become more popular than I ever expected it to, and I am not about to just leave money on the table because of some altruistic sense of community. Some of my videos take the better part of 100 hours to make and are enjoyed by 10's of thousands of viewers. So while it is true that YOU do not owe me a "living wage" for running my channel, I believe that I have earned the right to treat my channel like the business that it now is.

Would you also ask Bill Loguidice to start giving all of his books away for free? Is the fact that he writes them indicative of a narcissistic personality? Perhaps all of the homebrew games that Al sells in the AtariAge store should be sold at-cost? Certainly they should be devoid of any kind of creator credit lest they be accused of having an over-inflated ego. Should no one be able to make money doing something that they enjoy because it infringes on your personal views?

Your post seems to be laced with a hint of either bitterness or jealousy and I am having a hard time understanding where you are coming from.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry if this punctures your "bubbles" ... but there's a huge difference between "commentary" and "creativity".

Like a lot of old-farts here ... people make YouTube videos celebrating the memories of the products that I helped to create.

That's in the past ... and really, that wasn't the motivation of any of us old-folks back-in-the-day.

I'm not asking anyone to "give-away" the results of any "creative" endeavour.

I've made money for being in the game industry, and have absolutely no problem with anyone else doing so.

Just actually get-off-your-ass and really contribute something significant ... then I'll be happy to pay you.

Flap-your-lips about how "significant" your "insignificant" thoughts are ... then "nope".

• Like 6

Honeychild

I'm not your "honey" nor your "child" and I'd appreciate if you didn't use condescending names in reference to me.

As for everything else, it is a personal preference and I really don't see myself convincing you. Thankfully the world doesn't revolve around one person's particular set of interests or disinterests. :-)

• Like 3

I'm not your "honey" nor your "child" and I'd appreciate if you didn't use condescending names in reference to me.

Good for you! ;-) The condescension was in response to weeks of your overly-simplistic views of the world ... but you're 150% within your rights to disagree and fight back.

I wish that we could actually sit down over a beer and have a constructive discussion over our differences.

Really ... I'm not here to get this thread closed-down. But folks ... there is more to the world than fraking advertising-revenues!

DerekRumpler and Jibbajaba and shawnphase may be the modern reality that us old-farts created ... but I still hope for better.

• Like 2

So at this Point, after reading some 10 pages of absolutely nothing (OK, I didin't read all the last 10 pages, reason why I'm posting this) Can I just stop reading this thread if my interest was on the Retro VGS System and it's development? Because at this Point it seems that this thread here is just some random talk.

• Like 7

Good for you! ;-) The condescension was in response to weeks of your overly-simplistic views of the world ... but you're 150% within your rights to disagree and fight back.

I wish that we could actually sit down over a beer and have a constructive discussion over our differences.

Really ... I'm not here to get this thread closed-down. But folks ... there is more to the world than fraking advertising-revenues!

DerekRumpler and Jibbajaba and shawnphase may be the modern reality that us old-farts created ... but I still hope for better.

the reality is that i probably have bootleg anime t-shirts older than you and that i doubt you are even of legal drinking age. please go back to where you came from, you are clearly here for beef and this is a vegetarian thread, you wouldnt be posting at all otherwise i dont think.

• Like 5

So at this Point, after reading some 10 pages of absolutely nothing (OK, I didin't read all the last 10 pages, reason why I'm posting this) Can I just stop reading this thread if my interest was on the Retro VGS System and it's development? Because at this Point it seems that this thread here is just some random talk.

So now it's just us old farts sitting around reminiscing about the good old days when the Chameleon thread was the talk of the town? Kinda like a certain internet forum dedicated to a long defunct video game manufacturer that nobody gives a hoot about... :grin:

Two interesting developments since Coleco shut down Mike Kennedy:

• Coleco is fielding suggestions for Minicades
  • Triverse is attempting to take over Retro Magazine
  • Like 6

You guys blaming only MK for this mess have tunnel vision. There's a reason why we heaped praise on BTB for not making the Kickstarter ad: We innately know that it was the ethical thing to do, even though he may have lost out on some money.

About "me" generation and books: If an author came here and hawked his book or public appearances in the middle of a post each and every time, then it'd be a fair comparison to YouTube. By the way, for more detailed analysis make sure you check out my website: TheRealPlaysWithWolves.com

RETRO mag possibly being sold to triverse is one of the final chapters of the RVGS/Chameleon saga--if not the epilogue. The actions of MK, and those around him (including a certain game maker/YouTuber), affected more than just a couple of failed crowdfunding campaigns.

• Like 5

Some of you guys need to understand that for many people, a YouTube channel is their side business, and a well-run channel has tremendous earning potential. We ask for subs because subs are obviously much more likely to watch future videos. Same reason that store owners encourage you to come back, or that big box stores almost all have loyalty cards. Gamester81 made a mistake in dealing with MK, and he is now trying to do some damage control in order to protect his brand.

Doesn't matter when this is most channels:

• Like 15

I think it's necessary for Gamester81 to make that statement video, because the entire problem arising from this is the rabid Youtube fans that are making problems for others. He's the only one that can calm his fans down and stop them from harassing others, and Pat's the only one that can calm down his fans.

It's this stupid internet mob behavior that's causing the problems in the first place. They watch a video and extrapolate and exaggerate their own story from it, and then that becomes a self-sustaining conflagration of unfounded rage kept alive by the mob being a mob. The only hope you have of shutting that type of behavior down is a statement to cut it out from the very people the mob thinks they're defending.

• Like 4

Honeychild ...

For someone trying to present himself as an older, more mature voice, you should realize that condescension and insults undermine the very point that you're trying to make.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry if this punctures your "bubbles" ... but there's a huge difference between "commentary" and "creativity".

Like a lot of old-farts here ... people make YouTube videos celebrating the memories of the products that I helped to create.

That's in the past ... and really, that wasn't the motivation of any of us old-folks back-in-the-day.

I'm not asking anyone to "give-away" the results of any "creative" endeavour.

I've made money for being in the game industry, and have absolutely no problem with anyone else doing so.

Just actually get-off-your-ass and really contribute something significant ... then I'll be happy to pay you.

Flap-your-lips about how "significant" your "insignificant" thoughts are ... then "nope".

The more you say, the less I respect your opinion. You accuse YouTubers of seeking fame and having a "me" mentality, while at the same time touting your own accomplishments in attempt to use them to downplay ours. I have no idea who you are or what you've created, but if you think you've "punctured" anything, you vastly overestimate the weight that your opinion carries. Furthermore, based on the comments that you've made, I don't think you've actually ever watched one of my videos, and are basing your statements on your general (and biased) view towards YouTubers in general.

Again, who are you decide how people can make money?

Once again, you are undermining your own case with statements like this. I *could* take a page out of your playbook and make statements devaluing the work that you've done or your value as a person, or perhaps try to build my case by listing out my own accomplishments, but somehow that would make me feel like a huge asshole.

Doesn't matter when this is most channels:

I don't disagree. I'd like to think that my content is a little better than that. Many of the comments that I get on my videos are from other folks my age thanking me for not being that.

• Like 6

I'd like to think that my content is a little better than that. Many of the comments that I get on my videos are from other folks my age thanking me for not being that.

I don't know what your channel is like, but I hope it's better than Classic Gaming Quarterly. That guy is all clammy and stuff. :D

• Like 2

Gameroom Junkies has a great overview of the CC incident! (sarcasm engaged)

56 minutes into epsiode 60. You should listen. This is the last episode I listen to from those guys.

Top-right of the page:

http://gameroomjunkies.com/

Sigh. I gave up on them long ago. The first year or so was great, then it became very......self centered?, narcissistic? I kept listening for a while as I really liked the interviews with regular people about their gamerooms, but eventually gave up.

Sigh. I gave up on them long ago. The first year or so was great, then it became very......self centered?, narcissistic? I kept listening for a while as I really liked the interviews with regular people about their gamerooms, but eventually gave up.

I only listen to them from time to time. Apart from what you said, it is an increasingly boring podcast.

I have tier 1 podcasts that I listen to (like Retroist) and tier 2 podcasts...that is for projects and school-stuff. Just running in the background.

I disagree here. I think fans have been dissatisfied with the current state of the REtro Mag, and if Triverse takes it over and turns it into a glorified fanzine with print media and subscriptions, then more power to him. Either way, the content will be better than what Mike Kennedy produced, and there is a good chance previous and new staffers may join Triverse in working on it. The only question remains does Triverse have the capital necessary to get two issues out to past backers and continue distribution until the money starts rolling in?

This has a good chance to succeed without MK's mismanagement and siphoning funds into Jag molds and Chameleon PR.

I agree that Mike never really delivered on the promises that drove the Kickstarter campaign in connection with Retro. Having said that, to have someone else come in and essentially take their existing fanzine that had poor readership and failed and then simply adopt the "Retro" brand and expect that to be acceptable to backers or subscribers is absurd. I don't know what kind of financial assets Triverse has, but this is a business that would required hundreds of thousands of dollars to re-launch and even then, the chances of success are very low. The magazine business is dying for a reason and Mike's "mismanagement" aside, I seriously doubt that any small time entrepreneur can launch and maintain a magazine with retail distribution in this day and age without the support of a large publisher and very deep pockets.

I watch more YouTube than I do television. So, I see no problem with the me culture of them trying to monetize their channels with ads like television. I also see no problem with the me culture of me blocking those ads with Adblock. The me culture works for me. :D

That's called watching smarter, not harder.

There's obviously good youtube channels, and then there's bad channels. And professional and amateur channels. And copycat channels of all of those.

But having watched both, I myself would never compare Jibba's channel to Gamester81s. That's both unfair to the former and far too complimentary to the latter.

• Like 5

Gameroom Junkies has a great overview of the CC incident! (sarcasm engaged)

56 minutes into epsiode 60. You should listen. This is the last episode I listen to from those guys.

Top-right of the page:

http://gameroomjunkies.com/

Wow. That was some real hard hitting commentary. If you thought for even one second there was a Super NES in that thing then you're a conspiracy theorist. How has that lasted for 60 episodes?

There's obviously good youtube channels, and then there's bad channels. And professional and amateur channels. And copycat channels of all of those.

But having watched both, I myself would never compare Jibba's channel to Gamester81s. That's both unfair to the former and far too complimentary to the latter.

Mean Grandpa: "Go get the ladder and my heart pills."

Grandson: "Which should I get first? The ladder or the heart pills?"

Mean Grandpa: "The latter, you moron!"

• Like 6