IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It sucks that JC can effectively freeze SD&R's channel just because he's embarrassed by that stupid thing he did. It was probably showing up in the front page of search results on his name, which I would consider if I were looking to hire him for a real job. Good on SD&R to continue to call shenanigans and talk about what's happening.

It will cost at least $hundreds to file a suit, but if this guy was wacko enough to work on this project, who can say what he will do to try to make the video disappear?

• Like 8

Is his whole YT channel frozen or just the video taken down? SD&R did re-upload a video he did not create nor own the rights to, featuring JS's likeness. So JS may have legal precedence to have it removed.

Stop Drop & Retro, I would consider simply taking the copystrike rather than risk litigation. Deliberately inviting a court battle is like Indiana Jones jumping into a snake pit. You don't want to be in there if you can avoid it. Depending on the jurisdiction filed in, may require significant travel distance by one or both parties.

• Like 1

Just gross. I can't believe I felt the slightest empathy for Carlsen. It makes me want to reupload it myself on my channel, but I guess there's not much point, yet.

If you do something stupid online, you need to learn that there are potentially consequences. You can't sweep everything under the rug; particularly online.

• Like 8

Stop Drop & Retro, I would consider simply taking the copystrike rather than risk litigation. Deliberately inviting a court battle is like Indiana Jones jumping into a snake pit. You don't want to be in there if you can avoid it. Depending on the jurisdiction filed in, may require significant travel distance by one or both parties.

I wouldn't put it past him; John 'Johnlogic' Carlsen was willing to spend $1,450 in 2006 to file a domain name squatting suit on behalf of his 'company' Syncopated Systems, instead of paying $67.70 (owner's registration costs) to just purchase the domain. He lost the case and rather amusingly was accused in the decision of bringing the claim in bad faith and attempting "Reverse Domain Name Hijacking." http://www.adrforum.com/domaindecisions/780309.htm

Edit: Syncopated Systems is successful enough to have a Facebook page with 1 solitary like: https://www.facebook.com/SyncopatedSystems/- 'they' seem very pleased to plug 'their' little C-128 RGB converter, despite it being a trivial implementation of someone else's very simple circuit. A bit of a comedown for a company whose engineer(s) pretty much claim to have invented the mp3 player, sound card, TV capture card, and were sought out by Sony in 2010 to design a plug'n'play PlayStation.

• Like 4

I know the Video is relevant and was uploaded by John himself, but it's his Video, and it's his face. If he wants it down it should go down. I think it's both legally and morally his right.

May as well take down all of Kennedy's videos and pictures as well. In fact, maybe all discussion about it should just be removed, too? :twisted:

(I know you're not advocating that.)

• Like 2

I know the Video is relevant and was uploaded by John himself, but it's his Video, and it's his face. If he wants it down it should go down. I think it's both legally and morally his right.

I think morally the fact that it was made and released publicly as part of an attempt to deceptively crowdfund $1.95 million means that it should be preserved in some form for future reference.

• Like 10

I thought I watched another video from John Carlsen where he showed a closeup of the screen, but maybe my memory is failing me. If it is, then this is another reason why it should not be scrubbed from the Internet. However, at 1:44, the video is so sufficiently short that SD&R's usage may qualify as fair use or transformative use with his commentary.

Fortunately, even if JC manages to get the video taken down from every publicly available site on the Internet, he cannot take down all the discussion about his video or the fact that he had it taken down. At the very least it makes him look bad, as if he needed more negative publicity already. If anyone does any sort of research on him, who is going to want to work with him at this point?

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I went to bed right after making that post, not knowing if anyone would care, and I'm happy to see the outpouring of support! It proves to me that you guys care about freely accessing that information as much as I do.

Someone posted a link on SD&R's video to a downloadable copy of the video in question. If that thing is on a dozen different services there'll be no point in John Carlsen going through with the Takedown.

Something tells me that no one on Team RETRO ever heard about The Streisand Effect. It's a ridiculous notion to think that deleting something will call less attention to it.

It sucks that JC can effectively freeze SD&R's channel just because he's embarrassed by that stupid thing he did. It was probably showing up in the front page of search results on his name, which I would consider if I were looking to hire him for a real job. Good on SD&R to continue to call shenanigans and talk about what's happening.

The channel isn't frozen, it's just gimped, which sucks because I have other videos ready to publish but can't.

I don't blame JC for not contacting me before filing the takedown because I said in the intro that I wouldn't. But if he had contacted me beforehand I would have been agreeable to at least removing his name from the title and anywhere else so a search of his name wouldn't bring up the video, if that's what he's concerned about. But now I don't want to make any agreements with him, I'm too pissed off at the restrictions on my channel. The funny thing is that the takedown notice tells me that I can get it removed by reaching out to the alleged copyright holder, but it gave me no way of contacting JC to do that.

I'm not worried about the litigation side. Who knows if he'll even do that, but I think I've protected myself as best I can. Litigation can even be a good thing... bringing it to Court means JC has to prove his claim, and I get to dispute it along with the right to seek out information to defend myself.

One way around the copyright strike is to simply split the video up and do commentary on the key parts, preferably picture-in-picture style. That should qualify for fair use and providing value beyond the original content.

Yep. And when you watch my re-upload that he's trying to take down, it doesn't match what he originally uploaded. I windowed his video and the first half is just my own commentary on the situation. And that's actually what I cited on the counterclaim too, that I feel it is a derivative work. I suspect that's why YouTube is not willing to ban my video outright and is making John take the next step, this is a tricky case. I agree it could be a stronger case if I split up his part, but I think I do still have a case when it's a two and-a-half minute video and half of it is my own commentary.

Also, I'm currently working on a fun little short that chronicles the entire RVGS saga and it does include JC's video. I think when you see it there will be no doubt it is a transformative work.

• Like 8

It was a video he posted for promotional purposes for a public campaign. It's fair use for information and historical purposes. Imagine for instance if Donald Trump was able to claim ownership of any videos where he made any of his outrageous statements. If Trump could scrub the internet of the videos that show him contradicting himself (or worse), I'm sure he would. Think how bad that would be if a politician could do that by simply claiming "It's my video and my face so you can't use it against me!"

The campaign was public, Carlsen was apart of it, and so was that video. Future partners or employers or customers of John Carlsen should have that video as relevant information about his past and character.

• Like 11

It was a video he posted for promotional purposes for a public campaign. It's fair use for information and historical purposes. Imagine for instance if Donald Trump was able to claim ownership of any videos where he made any of his outrageous statements. If Trump could scrub the internet of the videos that show him contradicting himself (or worse), I'm sure he would. Think how bad that would be if a politician could do that by simply claiming "It's my video and my face so you can't use it against me!"

The campaign was public, Carlsen was apart of it, and so was that video. Future partners or employers or customers of John Carlsen should have that video as relevant information about his past and character.

You know what? this does make perfect sense. Where was the Video first uploaded to?

If the Video can be easily connected to the advertisement of the RVGS it really can be considered journalism. I just don't know how it works as Long as John isn't considered an official spokesman for the console.

This is not as clear as a politician's Statement in Terms of it's journalistic relevance. I'm not sure Carlsen can really be considered a public Person. But there certainly is a Point to be made, and if this goes to court thre's good Chance SD&R could win. He'll have to Show up to defend himself though.

Carlsen is just being a wuss wishing he never posted that video in the first place but he did so boo hoo cry me a river. Funny thing is his actions do nothing except bring more attention to his shameful video and encourage others to keep re-uploading and sharing it. He just does not "get" social media etc. It is hilarious and pathetically sad all at once.

• Like 4

The video is an important historical artifact in the RVGS/CC saga. This so called first prototype, as I remember reading, was a common development board running a barebones operating system. It may have had some potential to run new games, but as it stood it was shown to do nothing except move a few windows around a gray background and certainly would not qualify as a prototype or even a proof of concept for a game system. There was nothing patentable as you would expect in a prototype, as shown in that video and no patent filings had been made. Things just went downhill with post-Carlsen prototypes, the second being nothing new (the SNESjr) and the third not able to run games at all (the DVR capture card). If Carlsen has never heard of the Streisand effect, then he is about to experience a mini-version of it.

• Like 1

anyone wanting a save of it could goto cnet and get YTD Youtube Downloader.

Someone posted a link on SD&R's video to a downloadable copy of the video in question. If that thing is on a dozen different services there'll be no point in John Carlsen going through with the Takedown.

anyone wanting a save of it could goto cnet and get YTD Youtube Downloader.

That only works before the video has been taken down, which is why the Google link is useful. When I posted the video wasn't on YouTube. I use http://keepvid.com/to save a copy of stuff from YouTube.

upload it to liveleak, then upload a video on your channel with a static image of a url to the vid on liveleak. put the url in the description. dont contest the strike. f screwtube.

It's been uploaded to LiveLeak, some links have been posted in the comments of SD&R's recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pNBfdkCAw

• Like 3