IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

1. What made you think it was a good idea to ask for money, twice, before having anything to show? Did you figure that everything would take care of itself once you were funded? The plan WAS TO HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW for the Kickstarter. A unit that we could take the top off of or run straight from a cartridge on a bare board showing it all up and playing in front of a neutral audience. And showing at least two game platforms running - SNES and Intelli for example. That was what we were trying to accomplish at the Jag Bar set. I was told by Sean all along we would have a prototype unit that could be shown in that fashion prior to the Kickstarter going live and being an integral part of the campaign sizzle video.

Busted

10. What happened to your partners in GameGavel and Retro magazine? Have they been cut out of their share of any profits, as has been suggested elsewhere? Will they be compensated in any way? Partners in GameGavel aren't really partners, they are friends and family passive investors. And then they bought in Oct 2010 there was no magazine only the auction site. I have continued to try and add value to that company by adding similar revenue centers, the magazine, media and auction site fit together well. The console was a separate venture because manufacturing a console is completely different than running a web/media/magazine site. This is still a growing venture so none of them have lost their investments which were minimal dollar amounts at best. I have offered to buy Scott out, but he never returns my calls or email. My two "partners" in RETRO Magazine were let go for various reasons, one of them not being able to produce a magazine within a deadline which led to our constant delays. As for GameGavel/RETRO it's still growing. And one of my minority owners has been doing his best to crater the company.

MK has emailed me with a have a coke and a smile what I am doing is OK message, but never an offer to buy back the stock. What would be the point in responding to that email, I already gave him my conditions which were acknowledge all contributors and return all assets to the original company and he rejected those, that discussion took place and that was the outcome. When the mag came about I asked Mike was this a separate venture or a part of GG, he replied it was part of GG and I said cool. I asked the same question when the console came up and got the same response, yeah yeah the Retro logo is right on the front of it, it was never a separate venture as the company didn't even exist until a month before the kickstarter/indiegogo.

As for the mag, one the two guys he just threw under the bus is about to tell the tale of the mag, and it is damn near as interesting as the console.

• Like 31

Busted

MK has emailed me with a have a coke and a smile what I am doing is OK message, but never an offer to buy back the stock. What would be the point in responding to that email, I already gave him my conditions which were acknowledge all contributors and return all assets to the original company and he rejected those, that discussion took place and that was the outcome. When the mag came about I asked Mike was this a separate venture or a part of GG, he replied it was part of GG and I said cool. I asked the same question when the console came up and got the same response, yeah yeah the Retro logo is right on the front of it, it was never a separate venture as the company didn't even exist until a month before the kickstarter/indiegogo.

As for the mag, one the two guys he just threw under the bus is about to tell the tale of the mag, and it is damn near as interesting as the console.

You stupid moron, can't you read? :P

10. What happened to your partners in GameGavel and Retro magazine? Have they been cut out of their share of any profits, as has been suggested elsewhere? Will they be compensated in any way? Partners in GameGavel aren't really partners, they are friends and family passive investors. And then they bought in Oct 2010 there was no magazine only the auction site. I have continued to try and add value to that company by adding similar revenue centers, the magazine, media and auction site fit together well. The console was a separate venture because manufacturing a console is completely different than running a web/media/magazine site. This is still a growing venture so none of them have lost their investments which were minimal dollar amounts at best. I have offered to buy Scott out, but he never returns my calls or email. My two "partners" in RETRO Magazine were let go for various reasons, one of them not being able to produce a magazine within a deadline which led to our constant delays. As for GameGavel/RETRO it's still growing. And one of my minority owners has been doing his best to crater the company.

You are not really a partner, he said it himself. At best you're a (ex)friend or a passive family investor ... I hope it is not contagious!

• Like 9

I'm kinda playing catch up with this and haven't actually read all 328 pages of this thread (and have no plans to). I had no interest in this project when it was the Retro VGS. I continued to have no interest in it when it became the Coleco Chameleon and started getting media attention. When friends started getting excited about the Chameleon, I told them about the failed indiegogo and my doubts about it ever happening.

My quick two cents: If Mike truly was scammed by Sean (assuming "Sean" exists) and had no idea about the JagSNES "prototype" until Toy Fair, all work with Sean should have ended right there. Whether Sean intended all along to dupe Mike, or simply bit off more than he could chew and couldn't deliver what he promised, the second the fake was discovered he should have been out on his ass and not been given more money or the chance to pass off another fake prototype.

• Like 13

Mike, either you knew exactly what was in that box, or you actively chose NOT to know because that made it easier for you to continue lying. Both options are equally dishonest.

This. One thousand million billion kajillion times this.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 14

And let Sean off the hook? I chose to expose this guy after I what I learned. And it's a service to the community for doing so.

Well, thanks?

leonardo_dicaprio_cheers_meme_by_phantom

And this is why I won't be answering any more questions. Just for the record.

Very humble good sir, very humble of you.

• Like 5

It's truly sad to see so much drama and angst in a hobby of all things.

I can only imagine what kind of drama this would be in another hobby...

And when I realized that the train engine body was N scale, but had HO scale insides, I had to decide if it was worth going back to the toy fair...

Edited by Inky
  • Like 9

t's truly sad to see so much drama and angst in a hobby of all things.

Families, friends, hobbies, work, sport, politics, religion... you can try looking but you won't be able to find a drama-free aspect of human life.

• Like 8

I'm still several pages behind... but for now:

I purchased the molds from Mike. They are now in my control.

I sure hope you didn't pay much for them.

Screw that! It's the best text adventure ever! Better'n anything the great Infocom could develop.

This needs to be an actual game. Text, RPG or Adventure hack... this has got to happen.

• Like 2

This needs to be an actual game. Text, RPG or Adventure hack... this has got to happen.

If someone makes this into an actual game, I will kickstart that thing so hard, Mr. Li will feel it.

Maybe make Mike Kennedy the final boss in Knight Rider 2600?

• Like 3

I have a new theory.

Sean "the scoundrel" was pissed as he received nothing the first time around before the RVGS Carlsen "fake protoytpe" era ... so he decided to get back at Mike and have him for 7K$ as he decided such was worth his time the first time around ..... booohyaaaa!!!

Far fetched? .... maybe ...... but it could be a fitting end.

Either that or Steve Woita is the puppet master behind all this and at this very moment is taking a piss against the wind on top of the Kilimanjaro and thinking .... "because I am worth it" or some shit like that.

• Like 3

From what Mike is claiming, apparently no one seen any of Sean work except for right before the Toy Fair and apparently he was on the team and off since 2014.

Apparently his only interactions with Steve were by Phone and Sean wasn't supervised????

Kennedy: You made your point. You were not entirely responsible for what went wrong, there were other people involved, you were just mostly responsible. Your reputation is safe. Congratulations.

Mike Kennedy: Not Entirely Wrong.

• Like 5

By "hobby" I assume you're referring to the commercial enterprise worth millions annually called the "retro gaming market"? So, no this isn't "sad". It's expected.

Not in my world. I'm a cheap ba$tard by nature and NEVER buy on speculation or pay in advance for something that could be vapor ware. There a many platitudes I've learned while growing up that have inoculated me from all the sleeze and drama.

• Like 2

So this morning I get an email from Mike saying that he found an email from Sean that confirms my correction of the timeline (namely that Sean recommended me to Mike, not that he found me and brought me on and Sean joined later). Why he would send that to me (yes, I already know that-- I was there) and not post it as a retraction here, I don't know. I assume he wants me to comment on it since he's no longer posting.

Anyway, Sean's email (from November 17th, 2014-- the same day I first spoke to Mike) indicates that Sean was coming on as Mike's "CTO" (a fact that I either never heard before, or that went in one ear and out the other) and Sean was invoicing Mike for a retainer and maximums/hourly rates 'as discussed'. If you're going to make someone a corporate officer it would seem reasonable to expect you'd Google them and talk to some references to vet them first, no? Also seems like a weird thing to forget and leave out of a giant recounting of 'not my fault' events. :?

When it comes to those cashed checks, without an accompanying Scope of Work, invoices, and contracts explaining what was agreed upon in return for payment it's pretty impossible to pass judgement. In my ~14 years as an independent consultant (and employing others in the same capacity) I will say it's generally not 'industry standard' to keep making payments if work is substandard or not up to specification (if you still have a job at all after messing up the first time). In terms of contract engineering work, $7000 really isn't much-- that's a little shy of six days of hourly work for a hardware engineer at middle of the road hourly rates (west coast). Not sure what you'd expect to get done in a week except maybe some kind of mock-up? It's certainly not an entire start to finish engineering effort to build a complete, working, prototype with debugged custom hardware for $7K.

-Clay

• Like 21