IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

clone systems like that in PC world never seem to make it, they usually cost too much for a poor emulator in a keyboard

I will tell you what I would plop my money down on, a basic USB keyboard with Commie or atari or any other computer with screwy keys on it printed on the keycaps, that's the worst part about emulating a old computer

hit shift up cursor up LOAD keys, um my model m dont has those ...

clone systems like that in PC world never seem to make it, they usually cost too much for a poor emulator in a keyboard

I will tell you what I would plop my money down on, a basic USB keyboard with Commie or atari or any other computer with screwy keys on it printed on the keycaps, that's the worst part about emulating a old computer

hit shift up cursor up LOAD keys, um my model m dont has those ...

a lot of those emulators for the C64 and so on make it so you can actually assign keys. That's what I had to do with my BlueMSX emulator

Mike really set the standard, I have my doubts that we'll see anyone try their hand at a hardware project that incompetently, but these people are out there.

I was about to say I'm not getting the feeling that "THE 64" project is the next RVGS. But then I read:

THE 64 ™ - Current Status

The core research and development of THE 64 ™ consoles is complete, and we have working prototypes ongoing, concept case models, and software waiting to go into production as soon as practical. Production and shipping of the first THE 64 ™computers for the campaign backers are planned for early December 2016, with the handheld version for campaign backers to be delivered in April 2017. Given the chance, and with encouragement from all our supporters, we will reach our funding goal quickly and perhaps we be able to improve on this delivery date potentially.

200.gif

Pardon my retro meme in response to your retro home computer, but you really have prototypes and are too shy to show them? And why are you on IndieGoGo again??

That handheld version looks like a nightmare to produce, I don't think it's anything more than wishful thinking. Also, doesn't it look like their "mock up" is just a regular C64 that someone took a dremel to? Hell, it even looks like the regular C64 next to it has the plans for how to make it.

comparison_top_view_gzslig.jpg

Lastly, do we even need a C64 clone? Wasn't it the best selling computer of all time? I think if anyone wants one they can just buy an old one in great condition for less than $150. I just don't see the point.

• Like 6

Lastly, do we even need a C64 clone? Wasn't it the best selling computer of all time? I think if anyone wants one they can just buy an old one in great condition for less than $150. I just don't see the point.

Yeah, there has to be some kind of special perk to this. I guess we'll see. If anything, the handheld would be the only thing that would tweak my interest. :thumbsup:

Edited by AtarinDave

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

looks like mike has inspired a copycat. lets go down the checklist.

no team info,

no prototype,

no real info on their website

✓ zero hardware spec

✓ no games listed

✓ sketchy CC-esque teaser video that gives no info

✓ high 'none of this accountability is gonna be on us' crowdfunding goal

✓ raspberry-pi based equivalent comparable to retron 5

You forgot one: Both have a cartridge slot (at least the desktop version) :P

I've only looked at the IGG page, but will check out the thread about it as well as Bill L's thoughts ... but first, let me Pull A Mike Kennedy and shoot off my mouth!

It's a Commodore 64, with licensed OS ROMs from Cloanto. The one named guy has some C64 credibility, and the hardware should be easy enough to pull off -- after all, the C64-on-a-chip was done over 10 years ago, and even if this were just a reimplementation of that idea, it would still be pretty good. $150K is reasonable considering they want to build hardware.

Considering you can buy a decent plastic laptop for $200 that includes a screen, I think the $150 asking price for the replica computer is pretty silly, but no more than the relatively successful Spectrum remakes we've seen come out of Britain lately. If they make their December 2016 goal and have something available at retail (even if only at places like ThinkGeek), I would be kinda-sorta interested in reading more about it.

TL;DR I don't think it is nearly as bad as Coleco Chameleon, but it's still early.

Well he does claim to have been part of the design and launch of the C64DTV, although there's another name I'd have liked to have seen on the page for reasurance.

I'd like one maybe if it's based on the DTV core because the the VIC-II has a few more registers that got slipped into the design, which push it towards giving the Amiga a run for it's money.

I'd like one maybe if it's based on the DTV core because the the VIC-II has a few more registers that got slipped into the design, which push it towards giving the Amiga a run for it's money.

Or maybe something more like the Mega65, which is a super C64/C65.

Although I like the irony in these images as much as the next guy I am not sure anymore Coleco itself deserves to be mocked much further ... they did take a step back and ended the ridicule that was going on.

Maybe we should rename it as the "Trolleco Chameleon" .... or "Collecto Chameleon" or something to that direction.... or maybe it will make it even worse :)

I'm on board with distancing Coleco from the mockery, but let's be realistic... The fact that they ever touched this tar-baby at all means they can never truly write themselves out of the story.

This is why companies don't make it easy for small-timers to license their name. I say this as someone who's tried to get a license or two. This is exactly the scenario they want to prevent.

Coleco deserves blame because they didn't do due diligence up-front and let this guy go as far as he did. It also reiterates that Coleco can't "bring" anything back. They're just a name and license. No technical prowess like the real Coleco from back in the day.

• Like 7

Coleco deserves blame because they didn't do due diligence up-front and let this guy go as far as he did. It also reiterates that Coleco can't "bring" anything back. They're just a name and license. No technical prowess like the real Coleco from back in the day.

How I see it River West Brands is basically a company speciallized in false advertisement. Stamping names of known brands on products that have nothing to do with those brands. The only reason we should have a friendly relashionship with them is because they do own some intelectual properties too. But there's no reason to let them get away with stuff just because of that. Reviews on the coleco flashback say it's quite disappointing, the coleco Sonic is a joke and the chameleon, well.. We know about that. RWB doesn't have a good track record on their use of the COLECO name.

• Like 3

How I see it River West Brands is basically a company speciallized in false advertisement. Stamping names of known brands on products that have nothing to do with those brands. The only reason we should have a friendly relashionship with them is because they do own some intelectual properties too. But there's no reason to let them get away with stuff just because of that. Reviews on the coleco flashback say it's quite disappointing, the coleco Sonic is a joke and the chameleon, well.. We know about that. RWB doesn't have a good track record on their use of the COLECO name.

I, personally, love my Colecovision Flashback! :) I didn't realize it got bad reviews.

• Like 4

Believe all ATGames Flashbacks get bad reviews do to sound issues, original Colecovision is well known for its awesome iconic sound in the day

Reason Coleco got involved was because they needed game consoles sales to hold on to the Trademark for video-games, only reason people were angry was because RWB was misinforming people that they were the original Coleco which had experience in Video Gaming development

• Like 1

I have not really read too many "reviews" of ATGames' products. Blogger bullshit or otherwise.

But from the marketing and packaging I'm inclined to believe these are intended as cheap-o recreations of the original item from back in the 80's. And that's alright. They aren't claiming to be something they are not. And that's ok. We all know that a small cheap china-made console look-alike is incapable of producing the glorious sights and sounds of the genuine article. We understand that.

It's like the BFG-9000 Mega Blaster Water Cannon from Toys'R'Us. You buy that with the intent of a couple of weeks of poolside fun. Not to battle ISIS terror mongers. Same here with flashbacks. You buy them for some quick casual gaming, as party favors, as intros to classic gaming for kids.

If you want the real thing you will set up an emulator correctly. Or you may dig through the trenches at ebay in search of the original item. None of this faux-pas modern neo-nuvo retro regurgitation will do! None of it!

• Like 4

Believe all ATGames Flashbacks get bad reviews do to sound issues, original Colecovision is well known for its awesome iconic sound in the day.

True enough I suppose. I remember as a kid being quite content to sit back and let my buddies play ColecoVision while I listened to the sounds, read Electronic Games Magazine, and stuffed my face with potato chips and soda. Great times!

• Like 2

The next bombshell speculations:

Something about the magazine or gamegravel, either fundraising, a takeover, or more people resigning.

Mr. Lee or Woita speaks up.

Kennedy sues someone.

Albert teams up with Kevtris.

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 4