IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Where did YOU learn to drive?

I don't know why, but the green lady-hologram-face only says "Avoid the ground" whenever i smash into the mountain appearing 10 meters in front of me. I have yet to hear the "Where did you learn to fly?" mockery.

Welcome to the madness that is the Jaguar. For additional madness, hop over to the Jaguar sub-forum here.

Thank you good sir. I will do just that. Just trying to come up with something to discuss over there, but i have a basic strategy lined up:

I'm thinking about making a few threads where i compare it to the Playstation and Nintendo 64 and deride the Jag for being worse than them, then follow up with a rant about "is it really 64 bits?" complete with random quotes ripped from Youtube comments as evidence for the side i think i will argue in favor for.

Then i will go on to post the latest of the umphtillion-per-week "10 worst consoles/controllers/cartridges/whatever" lists by people who have never seen any of the hardware on the list, featuring the Jag in the top three. I will then top it off by announcing i am working on either a Jag flash cart or a port of (insert technically advanced game here) for the Jaguar and then insult everyone claiming that it's impossible, then 6 months later act like nothing has ever happened or vanish without a trace. What do you think about that? Will it make me accepted by the Jaguar-people?

Nah, i think i'll just ask polite and serious questions and look for relevant information in the wealth of knowledge that i assume is floating around there, like everywhere else on this forum.

• Like 8

Not sure if this adds anything to this long topic, but I got a Patreon email today from Nintendo Force Magazine and they say they are "partnering" with Retro this month to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Zelda. They then promoted Retro pretty heavily and said issue 11 is on sale now, and for being a Nintendo Force sub, here is a free code for issue 11. I guess one of the writers for NF also writes for Kennedy at Retro. Just an FYI for anyone interested in the "Mike Kennedy Watch" this week!

Edited by SumerNivek
  • Like 7

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting that info!

Hmmm... makes me wonder if this has anything to do with Mike's next step for RETRO magazine. I've been wondering how he's going to fund Year 3. Remember, he said:

We will be continuing with year #3 but not using crowdfunding to do it.

So maybe he hopes that a Nintendo Force deal can send enough new subscribers his way to float RETRO Year 3??

But then something else caught my eye when I looked up Nintendo Force magazine. In their update about that same 30 Years of Zelda issue they say:

here’s another reminder that our subscriptions are now being handled at Patreon.com/NintendoForce. You go there, click “Become a patron” at the top of the page and then select the type of subscription you’d like to receive going forward. Simple as that!

[bonus points for the Mike-ism]

Is Mike going to follow NF's lead and start a Patreon to fund RETRO Magazine? Is that how he's going to collect funds for the magazine while still claiming he's "not using crowdfunding to do it"?

I would hope not. Just enter "Patreon" into a Google search.

patreon.png

I could be wrong but I like playing this guessing game because Mike loves to mess around with his words, it makes him feel like he's being slick. So it's fun to try to figure out what he actually meant by "not using crowdfunding."

As a board certified Mikeologist, I can tell you he's talking out the side of his mouth again. There's going to be crowdfunding but he just doesn't want to admit it. He loves to brag about accomplishments and finding some source of new cash reserves would be brag worthy. Why wouldn't he just say "we won't need to crowdfund Year 3, we've secured private funding" or "we have enough subscribers to be self sustaining now"??

• Like 8

I don't know why, but the green lady-hologram-face only says "Avoid the ground" whenever i smash into the mountain appearing 10 meters in front of me. I have yet to hear the "Where did you learn to fly?" mockery.

You probably have the 1MB version, she talks less.

As a board certified Mikeologist, I can tell you he's talking out the side of his mouth again. There's going to be crowdfunding but he just doesn't want to admit it. He loves to brag about accomplishments and finding some source of new cash reserves would be brag worthy. Why wouldn't he just say "we won't need to crowdfund Year 3, we've secured private funding" or "we have enough subscribers to be self sustaining now"??

If it were anyone else, I'd suggest that you give them the benefit of the doubt, but yeah, you're probably right. If true, that would be at least the 3rd way you'd need to remember a login and password to access digital issues (I have their "subscription genius" (not) for the digital issues I backed, as well as a readretro.com account I can't seem to access) ... who cares if your supporters can get their rewards, so long as the money comes in, I guess.

Patreon is a fine way to support people you like, but it's not a good way to handle fulfillment or orders. It's basically the equivalent of putting your instrument case out in the street while you jam and hoping people drop a few bills in it. If someone were offering something for free on the internet, but wanted to get support from people who like it, this is a great platform.

For those of you who are vocal about not liking IndieGoGo or Kickstarter, Patreon is even more loosey goosey. It just runs month to month with rewards coming out as the creator sees fit.

Also:

Patreon.com Only Provides a Venue

The Service is a communications platform for enabling connections between Users. Patreon.com does not take part in the interaction between Users. Patreon.com does not have control over the quality, timing, legality, failure to provide, or any other aspect whatsoever of any ratings provided by Users, Content provided by Users, nor of the integrity, responsibility or any of the actions or omissions whatsoever of any Users. Patreon.com does not have control over the quality, timing or legality of Content delivered by its Users. Patreon.com makes no representations about the suitability, reliability, timeliness, or accuracy of the Content requested and provided by Users identified through the Service whether in public, private, or offline interactions. Patreon.com cannot confirm that each User is who they claim to be. Patreon.com does not assume any responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of this information or any information provided through the Service.

When interacting with other Users you should exercise caution and common sense to protect your personal safety and property, just as you would when interacting with other persons whom you don’t know. NEITHER PATREON.COM NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR LICENSORS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONDUCT, WHETHER ONLINE OR OFFLINE, OF ANY USER OF THE SERVICE. PATREON.COM AND ITS AFFILIATES AND LICENSORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, INJURY OR DAMAGE ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE.

In other words, IF Retro goes Patreon-begging only for funding AND they fail to deliver, well you pays your money and ya takes yer chances.

That said, SmoothMcGroove is on Patreon and everyone should flip him a few bucks for being so wonderful.

(also Touch Arcade, which I would miss if it went away)

• Like 4

Hmmm... makes me wonder if this has anything to do with Mike's next step for RETRO magazine. I've been wondering how he's going to fund Year 3. Remember, he said:

We will be continuing with year #3 but not using crowdfunding to do it.

So maybe he hopes that a Nintendo Force deal can send enough new subscribers his way to float RETRO Year 3??

How much do photocopies cost, anyway?

• Like 2

New magazine compilation "RETRO REPLAY Vol 1" coming soon. Link

From the email I received.

We are celebrating our first two years publishing RETRO Videogame Magazine by offering RETRO Replay Volume 1, a 200-page collector's edition celebrating our best content from our first 10 issues. If you missed year one or two, this will be a great catch-up giving you the best of what you missed. And if you are a completionist and have all our previous issues, you'll still want to add this to your collection.

To show our thanks to you as a current or past subscriber or Kickstarter backer, you can use discount code "ILOVERETRO" (case sensitive) to save $5 off the cover price. Type this code into the "Discount Code" field during checkout to save $5. Enjoy, and thanks again for reading RETRO!

"Limited printing of only 3,500 copies"

"And if you are a completionist and have all our previous issues, you'll still want to add this to your collection." JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL

• Like 10

"If you already bought this crap before, here's $5 off buying it again!"

Celebratory collectors edition... I'm sure the people still waiting to have a complete year 2 will just love to see their efforts going into this instead.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 4

"And if you are a completionist and have all our previous issues, you'll still want to add this to your collection."

Ugh.. this sort of thing is starting to get cringey now.

I love how "limited printing" = limited to as many as he thinks he can sell. I can swear he's said before that there was only like 3,000 copies of issue 1 printed. Not enough to be considered limited compared to the magazine as a whole but just enough to make sure every subscriber/completionist has the chance to give you their money.

• Like 4

"If you already bought this crap before, here's $5 off buying it again!"

Celebratory collectors edition... I'm sure the people still waiting to have a complete year 2 will just love to see their efforts going into this instead.

It's not even their first double dip. On the same page: "Retro Recap Special Issue #0: Retro gets pint sized! Best of year 1. Print= sold out, purchase your digital download now for only $5!"

• Like 2

nothing irks me more than the phrase "digital download", I want an analog download dammit! Kind of like those "homes of the future" films where they are shopping on a video terminal and its some clown pointing a tv camera at a paper catalog

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 7

nothing irks me more than the phrase "digital download", I want an analog download dammit! Kind of like those "homes of the future" films where they are shopping on a video terminal and its some clown pointing a tv camera at a paper catalog

Ever send a fax from the beach? You will.

• Like 2

"And if you are a completionist and have all our previous issues, you'll still want to add this to your collection." JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL

Just found that email in my junk folder. It starts off great with:

RETRO Replay: Vol. 1

LIMITED PRINTING OF ONLY 3,500 COPIES.

EPIC!

In business and especially with antiques/collectibles, reputation is everything. Literally everything because you have nothing to offer without it. MK is now well aware of this fact, wishing he could set time backwards. He certainly is not going to start rebuilding his reputation with a weak, manipulative story like this. I wouldn't trust his reputation for even a loose combat cartridge deal! If he comes clean and provides a story that isn't obvious rubbish, then maybe 20 years from now I would trust him enough for a loose combat cartridge deal. Hell maybe even 10 years from now, if MK truly comes clean and then does a $1 kickstarter to raise money for a loose pacman or combat cartridge (missing the label), I seriously might consider giving him $0.000000000001 cents for his campaign.

• Like 4

I hit "unsubscribe" with superhuman speed.
  • Like 4

And please, don’t let this mess carry over to the magazine. I have a great team of people working on it. We are pouring a lot of heart and soul and sweat equity into keeping the magazine going and it’s only getting better.

In the end, I am the only one that has lost anything, money, potential opportunity and my reputation in this hobby.

• Mike

Yeah, buddy!

• Like 1

It's the same as some labels used in food. Unless there's an organization/government guaranteeing what it means (under penalty of losing license/branding) it doesn't mean anything.

If they decide to reprint later, tanking any value of the original print run ... can the original purchasers claim losses? Probably not...

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

"tanking any value of the original print run"

I can spit on a piece of paper. One of a kind. Rarest gaming amazine ever. Would you pay 1000 buck?

This collectard crap is getting insane. Rarity doesn't equal value untill people start deciding to value crap just because it's rare, just for the sake or it being rare.

Something rare will be very valuable it it's good, useful and can't be substituted by anything else.

These people are trying to cash in on this collecting crap, because people will buy stuff as an investment. If you count storeage space it takes, the time you waste buying and conserving this crap you'll see your time and money would better invbested in somehting else.

I'm not sayng magazines are crap. I'm just saying it should be good, not rare. But people try to compensate lack of quality with rarity. (or in this case try to pretend somehting is rare just because they won't sell many copies anyway.)

• Like 8

I can spit on a piece of paper. One of a kind. Rarest gaming amazine ever. Would you pay 1000 bucks?

That would depend on who you are :) some pop idols have quite the list of crazy fans...

But yes, the desirability of something vintage/retro is usually determined much later than when it is first available. Marketing types try to force things with slogans like "instant classic" but it's just words.

In retro gaming though some people equate rarity with valuable, meaning some crappy games become worth more of than what they should. That's something that should change.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1