IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

My Super Retro Trio does all that (SNES and Genesis and NES homebrew) and cost less than that. :P

Yeah, that's basically the bottom line. You can do what this system does (perhaps more!) with 2 flashback units and a Super Retro Trio for the same price or lower, albeit with 3 units instead of 1 of course.

What is the purpose? What is the market here? Have they even done some kind of market research into this?

The only way they really can stand out from being surpassed in content and capability by a cheapo multi-console and 2 flashbacks is to get something truly unique and exclusive, perhaps proprietary, even.

• Like 1

Management and marketing is going to be critically important once they get out of the design phase, if they hope to stay in business. I really think designing a FPGA based system with off the shelf components is not a difficult design challenge. The biggest hurdle to long term success is going to be attracting competent game developers and distributing in sufficient volume to make a profit.

The design phase requires a hardware guy. John was their hardware guy and he's no longer with them. Kevin was never with them. None of the 'VP of blahblah solutions' types on their 'meet our staff page' is a hardware guy. Unless there is some silent partner in the hardware community who is helping them but keeping their name off board (because, cloak and dagger is awesome?) all we've got here is someone who crammed for their oral book report by badly rewriting the back cover blurb and passing it off as their own work.

A pile of shit that was hastily thrown together in the hotel room the night before the Toyfair.

Anyone who funds this Kickstarter is not going to end up with a console.

You are contributing to the Mike No Longer Wants To Be A Sandwich Arist Fund.

• Like 3

Not going to make a video, but i took some quick pictures. Looks like the cut some of the plastic off from inside the shell to make the snes slot be up a bit higher, but im not going to ruin mine to make a better fit. Here is a comparison someone made earlier:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3439661

here is a couple more I took:

http://imgur.com/a/SOhhK

as you can see, the back sticks out exactly as much as it does in their video, but i did not cover mine in black tape.

Wow, easily the most damning evaluation yet. I don't have much of an opinion on them doing this one way or the other, but why keep lying about it???

OH HOW IT GETS BETTER. Remember the back of the Fail Chameleon? Mike showed the cords? The Facebook reply is GONE. See attached. He's covering up his tracks.

I just had to check this myself and yes indeed it is gone now. Simply appaling.

I was finally starting to believe that Mike would take the critics head on and up the ante on this but it seems like he reversed back into his old KGB-ways of iron-fisted moderation and censorship to make himself and his product stand up in the best of light.

Backer beware.

• Like 2

Wow, easily the most damning evaluation yet. I don't have much of an opinion on them doing this one way or the other, but why keep lying about it???

Mike lies because he sees it as an unimportant implementation detail. There are engineers in China who can already produce SNES and Genesis clones; they will do the job of making this 'prototype' a reality while Mike talks about what he sees as the important things: early backer rewards, limited editions, cartridges, Jaguar shell colours, the Coleco brand, etc.

Did anyone else noticed that we recently found a clear answer to the question posed in the thread title for thr first time? The hardware specification is currently a SNES mini in a Jaguar shell.

Edited by galax
  • Like 2

I obviously have the Picture since I had to save it to do my Video. I've said this before and I'll say it again. They did it. They slapped an SNES mini in a Jaguar Shell in 10 minutes, wraped it with tape and called it a prototype. There is no way in hell any other board would have exactly the same dimentions, exactly the same ports. What about the SNES Controllers? People would have to be ridiculously naive to not see this is an SNES in there.

This is like saying a guy who pointed a gun at someones face and pulled the Trigger didin't kill the Person. The bullet in the gun was fake, and someone else shot the Person. If that's true, Show your gun and the fake bullets loaded in. But instead you just hide your gun and Claim innocent?

At this Point anyone who even cares what else is going on with this Project is insane.

Piko interactive also has something to explain. They probably know better. They have to have some idea what an SNES jr. is, and what an FPGA is.

• Like 6

I'm not against what they did, to demonstrate the product conceptually. However, the lies, the outright, comical, lies, can't get passed. I can already predict the KS campaign. They'll say it's for bonus features or whatever, but in reality it will once again be to fund the design, testing, production, and distribution of the console itself, as well as for software dev kit plug ins. Last month or whatever, we were told the "investor" was backing all of this, but I seriously doubt that.

I'm not against what they did, to demonstrate the product conceptually. However, the lies, the outright, comical, lies, can't get passed. I can already predict the KS campaign. They'll say it's for bonus features or whatever, but in reality it will once again be to fund the design, testing, production, and distribution of the console itself, as well as for software dev kit plug ins. Last month or whatever, we were told the "investor" was backing all of this, but I seriously doubt that.

You mean you're not agains playing SNES games or you mean you're not against pretending an SNES is an FPGA board running an SNES core and call it your prototype? Because I certainly have nothing against playing SNES games. I've done that for thousands of hours in my life.

Or maybe you mean you're not conceptually agains placing an SNES board inside of a Jaguar Shell? I also think that's not a Problem. I wouldn#t personally do it, but to each his own.

Okay, hear me out, now

So, if it's got:

A coleco badge

jaguar case

and snes board

Then, to be complete all it needs are:

saturn controllers

famicom cartridges

turbo grafx power supply

and the soul of an unbaptized child

My logic cannot be denied.

Frankenstein's monster must live.

pLq5sF4.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FLZPFI3jc

Last month or whatever, we were told the "investor" was backing all of this, but I seriously doubt that.

They said that?? I could swear Mike said since the beginning [when the Coleco saga started] "I'm funding the prototyping process out of pocket" but if I'm wrong please repost, I must have missed that.

The only tangible way this can succeed now is that the KS goals are set way low. If they get even close to 1 million $ i will eat my socks on webcam livestream.

Now I want him to succeed!! You can call your video "One Swede Two Socks" you'll get tons of views!!!

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 1

They said that?? I could swear Mike said since the beginning [when the Coleco saga started] "I'm funding the prototyping process out of pocket" but if I'm wrong please post, I must have missed that.

Now I want him to succeed!! You can call your video "One Swede Two Socks" you'll get tons of views!!!

If that's he's own SNES Jr. at least that's true...

I'd pay good money to see a Swede eat socks on camera. ;)

I'll bet a Kickstarter for this will generate more money than the Coleco Chameleon's.

Don't even need a working sock protoype either!

The design phase requires a hardware guy. John was their hardware guy and he's no longer with them. Kevin was never with them. None of the 'VP of blahblah solutions' types on their 'meet our staff page' is a hardware guy. Unless there is some silent partner in the hardware community who is helping them but keeping their name off board (because, cloak and dagger is awesome?) all we've got here is someone who crammed for their oral book report by badly rewriting the back cover blurb and passing it off as their own work.

A pile of shit that was hastily thrown together in the hotel room the night before the Toyfair.

Anyone who funds this Kickstarter is not going to end up with a console.

You are contributing to the Mike No Longer Wants To Be A Sandwich Arist Fund.

They have probably outsourced the design. Happens all the time. I think the development of the prototype just didn't fit in with the timeline of the toy fare, so the cobbled up something for the show. They just got caught with their pants down trying to sneak in the SNES without full disclosure.

I just think MK learned nothing from the previous campaign--except that mudslingers, drunkards and Indiegogo were the problem with RVGS.

Piko interactive also has something to explain. They probably know better. They have to have some idea what an SNES jr. is, and what an FPGA is.

Considering how upfront Piko (Eli?) has been so far, I'd encourage at least giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I do think this project is like a baby made of tar for anyone associated. Even a simple pat on the back can get a person dirty and stuck.

• Like 2

Why isn't Coleco funding the Coleco Chameleon?

Because it's just a name licensing deal. That's it. Period.

This is what a lot of people find hard to accept, and I don't blame them, usually if a company puts their name on something they make sure it's done right because it could negatively affect the brand.

COLECO has no brand, it doesn't make anything, it has nothing to lose. What River West Brands does is just squat on a brand name like you would squat on a URL. Then when someone like Mike comes along with a get rich quick scheme they'll make an agreement to get some of Mike's cut in exchange for the licensed brand name. I don't have any evidence for it, but I know Mike doesn't want to spend any of his money, so he probably offered them a cut off the top of the Kickstarter proceeds.

• Like 4