IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

When the BBC were looking around for a computer to endorse they were offered up the spectrum by Sinclair and a new machine, based on the proton iirc, from acorn. Beeb chose acorn much to the annoyance of Clive Sinclair. Outside the schools market there weren't that many BBC owners as a proportion of the market, not really helped by the Beeb's distain for using computers for anything as unworthy as gaming :)

There were a lot of other niche computers that appeared in the same timeframe: Jupiter ace, camputers lynx, memotech mtx, and of course the msx series but the American machines from commodore, and to a lesser extent Atari, alongside the spectrum won out.

• Like 1

When the BBC were looking around for a computer to endorse they were offered up the spectrum by Sinclair and a new machine, based on the proton iirc, from acorn. Beeb chose acorn much to the annoyance of Clive Sinclair. Outside the schools market there weren't that many BBC owners as a proportion of the market, not really helped by the Beeb's distain for using computers for anything as unworthy as gaming :)

There were a lot of other niche computers that appeared in the same timeframe: Jupiter ace, camputers lynx, memotech mtx, and of course the msx series but the American machines from commodore, and to a lesser extent Atari, alongside the spectrum won out.

MSX was big in Japan. hell the true sequel to Metal Gear for the Famicom/NES was on MSX

I don't think it was easier to program and certainly not when you start typing on its rubber keys.

The later Amstrad versions improved the keyboard but it did get a lot of people into home computing.

I knew a few guys who programmed assembly on their HP48 calculators with a worse keyboard :) for those they usually coded on paper then used the keys only for one-off data entry...

Just re-listened to the Intellivisionairies Episode #18 where they have MK as a guest.

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-18-basketballs/

At the 1:06:00 mark, MK spends an hour talking about all the great things he's doing with his hardware guys, all his advisers and how successful the VGS Kickstarter is going to be. Then he talks about another Kickstarter he's a part of - the Intellivision Gen2 campaign. That ended is disaster as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac

It's amazing looking back now that he had absolutely nothing and was talking out of the side of his mouth. But it's also interesting how many people believed every word - the hosts, the programmers, and MK even had Keith Robinson of Intellivision Productions fooled.

• Like 8

Just re-listened to the Intellivisionairies Episode #18 where they have MK as a guest.

At the 1:06:00 mark, MK spends an hour talking about all the great things he's doing with his hardware guys, all his advisers and how successful the VGS Kickstarter is going to be. Then he talks about another Kickstarter he's a part of - the Intellivision Gen2 campaign. That ended is disaster as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac

It's amazing looking back now that he had absolutely nothing and was talking out of the side of his mouth. But it's also interesting how many people believed every word - the hosts, the programmers, and MK even had Keith Robinson of Intellivision Productions fooled.

Good gravy! You listened to 63 minutes of his offgassing. I don't know whether to respect you or pity you.
  • Like 8

Okay, I really need to ask because I like to think I have a good grip on what consumers are generally attracted to, but can someone please explain what the appeal of the ZX Spectrum is??

I am an American, but I think the ZX Spectrum is cool in theory. Haven't tried it in practice. I did watch the episode of the Ben Heck Show where he made a pocket version of the ZX and during the teardown found out some interesting technical aspects.

I think the appeal is it was a cheap computer you would buy for your kids back in the day, so many Brits had one and are now nostalgic for it. So a new ZX machine is just capitalizing on that. No different from the Atari Flashback systems.

Frankly, I find the output I have seen thus far rather appealing. I like the look of it better than, say... oh the Colecovision. I'll have to take a closer look someday.

Edited by the antithesis
  • Like 1

It's becoming clearer why Mike still doesn't get that we're not buying into his crap anymore. He's gotten away with it for so long, he still thinks if he tells one more lie or whips out one more surprise announcement, he can get his critics to go away.

• Like 5

Watch the film Micro Men. It explains it all.

Seen it, wholeheartedly agree. Hence my question about the Acorn.

Funny, wonder if Sinclair will attempt a kickstarter to make another version of the infamous C5 now that he has had some early success? Man, I'm so hoping it does.

The Sinclair C5 is the most Kickstarter-y thing to ever appear before Kickstarter ever existed.

I forgot to tell you guys, for the first time this Sunday, I was participating the chatroom during Orange Lounge Radio live and they brought up Mike coming forward with his explanation of what happened here. I gave them my opinion and they read my comment on the air. The chat name thingy cut off my name so they call me "StopDrop" but anyways, the topic starts at 1:10:30.

Here's a link but I think you should find another service like iTunes because I can't get their player to scroll.

Also, if you guys remember the PICO-8, which is that fantasy retro console that only exists digitally and the creator commented on how he's basically already doing with the RVGS was trying to do and doesn't see why you need a physical console at all (see post here). Well, his console is actually going to get a physical release now!! .... sorta...

I got this update through the C.H.I.P. Kickstarter project I backed. It turns out every PocketCHIP will come with a free copy of PICO-8!! This is awesome! I was always wondering if I could turn a C.H.I.P. into a stand alone PICO-8 console, so I guess it is possible and I'm glad someone else did all the hard work for me! If anyone here was genuinely interested in what the Retro VGS was claiming to do, then I would strongly advise you to give this a look. Mike's dream has arrived (without Mike) ... SIMPLE AS THAT!!

I think it's a perfect platform for the PICO-8, I can't wait!!

f037b1fe302cc454e803ba5801f8ac9a_origina b731bc6ac7b25888e2acfc3de1a7cc11_origina 42868aab6c05fc14b520dc7761eaf58b_origina

• Like 5

I got this update through the C.H.I.P. Kickstarter project I backed. It turns out every PocketCHIP will come with a free copy of PICO-8!! This is awesome! I was always wondering if I could turn a C.H.I.P. into a stand alone PICO-8 console, so I guess it is possible and I'm glad someone else did all the hard work for me! If anyone here was genuinely interested in what the Retro VGS was claiming to do, then I would strongly advise you to give this a look. Mike's dream has arrived (without Mike) ... SIMPLE AS THAT!!

ttps://youtu.be/W3qkdB5bzLY

I think it's a perfect platform for the PICO-8, I can't wait!!

You're obsessed with Mike? It's a nice hardware but there's no physical cartridge, the PICO-8 uses PNG image formats as a 'cartridge', it also not FPGA but yeah, I don't see how this is the same?

What's with the keyboard?? it looks like a blackberry.. and that's a very bad thing IMO!

You're obsessed with Mike?

Yes

It's a nice hardware but there's no physical cartridge, the PICO-8 uses PNG image formats as a 'cartridge', it also not FPGA but yeah, I don't see how this is the same?

What's with the keyboard?? it looks like a blackberry.. and that's a very bad thing IMO!

Well, those are physical things and this "console" exists as a virtual fantasy so of course it won't have physical cartridges or an FPGA chip. You can make the same argument that it's not like the RVGS because it doesn't use Jaguar shells. I never even knew about the PICO-8 until that first article came out that connected the dots between the two. But even that article acknowledges that they are fundamentally different because both creators tackled the problem differently:

White salvaged his favorite bits from the past, set specific parameters that felt sensible and fun, and built an infrastructure around his platform that would engender experimentation, sharing and play. Kennedy tried to salvage an idealized past, set no limits on his dream, and asked a community to foot the bill.

The fact is that the PICO-8 is a return to the retro style of game making with restrictions that you would similarly find in real retro hardware, which was the true ethos of the RVGS. So for those people who were sold on Mike's promise of an original console that is a throwback to a bygone era of retro gaming, the PICO-8 is the closest you're ever going to get to that.

And as far as the keyboard goes, it was designed like that because the PocketCHIP was created before PICO-8 ever came on board. But given how the PICO-8 was designed to be extremely developer friendly (another similarity to the RVGS), this is a great form factor. Hell, you can even call that retro! Have you ever seen a Magnavox Odyssey 2?

• Like 7

At that point (late March, 2015), I had no reason to not believe him. I had been friends with Mike for quite some time prior to that, and I thought what he was working on sounded interesting, and we wanted to bring that information to our listeners. I don't think anyone could have known where all this would end up.

• Like 3

I first saw this Gen2 stuff before I knew ANYTHING of MK. I could smell the stink of stupidity right away and knew this whole Gen2 nonsense was doomed to fail from the beginning.

Anything saying it's got industry veterans behind it is a key tip-off. You're dealing with a bunch of washed out old men having pipedreams.

Good gravy! You listened to 63 minutes of his offgassing. I don't know whether to respect you or pity you.

R E S P E C T!

There's no end to his outgassings is there? I'mna gonna hafta go hide in my room and play with emulators tonight till the stink blows over.

• Like 3

At that point (late March, 2015), I had no reason to not believe him. I had been friends with Mike for quite some time prior to that, and I thought what he was working on sounded interesting, and we wanted to bring that information to our listeners. I don't think anyone could have known where all this would end up.

I don't think anyone is blaming you, plenty of rationally minded people believed Mike back then and seeing as how he was able to turn his Kickstarted magazine into a reality, they somehow felt that this was enough experience to move onto full blown consoles. Again, not pointing fingers, but it's just amusing to listen to any of his old appearances as the official travel agent for Retro Land and hear people lap it all up.

I'd say the IndieGoGo campaign was when the writing was on the wall because by then we knew he has no problem talking out of the side of his mouth without having anything to back up his claims. Those who believed him after that fiasco were really chugging the Kool Aid.

• Like 3

Not blaming you at all, Paul. It all sounded fun at the time, but looking back now in hindsight (being 20-20) everything that came out of his mouth was BS. I feel sorry for Keith and the rest of the guys who spent time and money on that windbag.

• Like 2

Keatah, on 05 May 2016 - 5:22 PM, said:Keatah, on 05 May 2016 - 5:22 PM, said:

I first saw this Gen2 stuff before I knew ANYTHING of MK. I could smell the stink of stupidity right away and knew this whole Gen2 nonsense was doomed to fail from the beginning.

Anything saying it's got industry veterans behind it is a key tip-off. You're dealing with a bunch of washed out old men having pipedreams.

The Gen2 Kickstarter didn't fail cause Mike was associated with it. It would have failed anyway regardless who had their names connected to it.

The Kickstarter failed cause they asked for a INSANE ammount of money to bring three Intelivision games to modern platforms in a remake form -- two of which already exist!

• Like 1

The Gen2 Kickstarter didn't fail cause Mike was associated with it. It would have failed anyway regardless who had their names connected to it.

The Kickstarter failed cause they asked for a INSANE ammount of money to bring three Intelivision games to modern platforms in a remake form -- two of which already exist!

Somebody set that INSANE amount. How much input and control did MK have in that process?

Special Teams, on 05 May 2016 - 7:15 PM, said:

Somebody set that INSANE amount. How much input and control did MK have in that process?

I seem to recall someone saying back when the KS was live that it was Keith. However, since I can't recall where I heard that or who said it, I won't say for sure that's the right answer. Last thing I want to do is put words in Keith's mouth, since he's a stand up guy. Perhaps Paul would know, since he did talk to Keith a bit about the project. I certinaly hope it wasn't Mike. As we all know, he's never been a hardware of software guy and wouldn't know the first thing about how much that the games would cost to make or port. ;)

• Like 1