IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Mike reminds me of myself in grade school. I wouldn't do my homework and would lie to my parents saying I didn't have any. Then my teacher sends me home with my report card that needed to be signed by a parent and brought back. I then proceeded to attempt to cover up my constant lying by forging my moms signature and then throwing a little hissy fit when it all came crashing down. The Nintari, er I mean Chameleon has been no different.

• Like 2

Mike reminds me of myself in grade school. I wouldn't do my homework and would lie to my parents saying I didn't have any. Then my teacher sends me home with my report card that needed to be signed by a parent and brought back. I then proceeded to attempt to cover up my constant lying by forging my moms signature and then throwing a little hissy fit when it all came crashing down. The Nintari, er I mean Chameleon has been no different.

LOL The Coleco Nintarivision Drive.

The idea though is for the console company to pay GameGavel,LLC/RETRO Magazine for subscribers ( all buyers of the console will receive a digital and or print subscription to the magazine ) and also for a dedicated multi-page section devoted to promoting the console, its games and developers. The console company will pay the going rate for that coverage. So both companies will be working together to benefit the other, but at arm's length.

So, let me see if I understand this: Mike set up the console company and the magazine company as separate entities (apparently shutting out the stakeholders of the original company in the process, but that's another subject), and he wants to use funds raised by the console company—which would presumably include Kickstarter money if the campaign succeeds—to pay the magazine company for subscriptions and for favorable coverage ... in his own magazine?

• Like 8

The cost of the licensing of the Coleco name is probably raising the price a bit but I am sure it is not all that much. Deals like this that I have facilitated called for a bit of cash from the licensee (Mike here) and the licensor would get a set amount per unit sold (Riverwest Brands here). Now, the interesting thing I am wanting to hear an answer to is, does this set amount extend to the game sales too since they will obviously carry the "Coleco" name?

Of course. I'm sure that - in order to maintain the highest possible profit quality - they'll implement a quality assurance program that will require their developers to adhere to certain standards of financial obligations excellence. Sign up to be a developer, and for a nominal fee, you too can have one of these affixed to your games!

coleco-seel-of-kwality.jpg

From what I understand, since this is running an FPGA core for the SNES, they won't have to make a specific port to the Coleco Chameleon- they will just turn over the SNES ROM to RVGS Inc who will probably still charge them for production of cartridges and then repay royalties based on sales of the console.

See above.

Personally, I still like the idea that I was only half-seriously floating last year: why not just bring back the Jaguar? The RVGS/Chameleon has already been the butt of Jaguar jokes because of their reuse of the case, so why not "let the crime fit the punishment" and bring back the whole system?

If the Chameleon ever sees the light of day, I wonder how long it will be before the complaints start rolling in that people can't fit their Jaguar cartridges in it?

• Like 16

If the Chameleon ever sees the light of day, I wonder how long it will be before the complaints start rolling in that people can't fit their Jaguar cartridges in it?

Tell me about it. It already started right after the IGG debacle when they announced the Coleco name. The discussing was on steroids on both their own facebook and other assorted gaming groups i follow.

"I hope it will play Jaguar carts"

"I hope they will make it play ColecoVision cartridges"

"It should be able to use the Jag CD"

"I heard them mention cartridge converters for all the old systems!"

And so on.

It literally took so much effort from me and others to explain the bad business of letting people play their old carts on this supposed new system. It would literally make Colecos... sorry... RVGS own carts nigh-obsolete and completely moot to sell.

Still, many wouldnt budge, holding this system up like the messiah of everything cart-related.

I guess ill have to retract part of that statement now as SNES carts will in fact work fine on a SNES even when it is dressed up like a Jaguar as Mike has been demonstrating with success all weekend.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 6

Wouldn't an Xbox or PS(something) be a better way of enjoying the classics than this RetroVGS nonsense? Getting compilations and playing them on contemporary hardware?

First of all you get modern hardware that has been out in the field, which everybody knows how to fix and mod. Even if it is ratbag-ratty 2nd hand stuff. Second, you'd be able get a disc or cart that has 20+ games all ready to roll. And while modern systems seem lousy for preservation efforts, they do have the advantage of being pervasive and known about. Everyone knows Xbox and PS2.

I think that part of the problem with RetroVGS is hardware saturation. The market is full of many viable platforms already. And we don't need another vaporware console distracting gamers and creating dissension among the ranks.

From the top of my head the most cheap and technically simple solution for playing old games is some kind of console with a hard-drive and internet connection working broadly like the Virtual Console that Nintendo has. The games are small so no gigantic HDD or fat bandwith is really required. The biggest problem would of course get the licenses, and that is no small feat by any stretch of the imagination.

Digital games doesnt all need DRM poo, GOG.com has ben selling classic DRM-free games for several years and some are even free on their site, albeit PC/DOS only to my knowledge. I think they are on a good track.

A kind of device like this is of course purely for players and will have next to no use for people who like collecting games, use original hardware or like the feeling of swapping carts in and out of the console itself. Again, you cant appeal to everyone much like Mike has failed to appeal to people who dont want cartridges.

Edited by Raticon

Cartridge lovers are in the minority, overall & worldwide. Here on AA they are in the majority.

A lot has to do with marketing. Today's marketing for games speaks of convenience, cost, things not getting lost or broken, instant access, less clutter, and cheaper prices. All that goes against "cartridges".

Well, if we are including RGR forums here. Then check this out

http://retrogamingroundup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7550&p=47969#post47969

Actually to be completely clear I cashed in some of our personal 401K to get the cash to buy the Jag tooling. Then I personally loaned that money to GameGavel,LLC to purchase the molds. The new console company will soon purchase the tooling from GameGavel,LLC and then GameGavel, LLC will pay me back the loan. Also, while the tooling was owned by GameGavel,LLC it sold a few thousand dollars in the translucent shells which all that money went back into the magazine. So there was no comingling of funds. As far as my decision to start a second company for the console, it was needed as I don't have enough stock to share with others, something that I will beed to do to grow the console business in the future. The idea though is for the console company to pay GameGavel,LLC/RETRO Magazine for subscribers ( all buyers of the console will receive a digital and or print subscription to the magazine ) and also for a dedicated multi-page section devoted to promoting the console, its games and developers. The console company will pay the going rate for that coverage. So both companies will be working together to benefit the other, but at arm's length. It is still very important to me that my "owners" in GG,LLC will see an upside tied to the success of the console.

That information is TERRIFYING to read.

• Like 4

$20 bucks* to the guy who pulls out an acoustic and sings this in front of the Coleco booth.

*Canadian

$50 to the guy who grabs that POS on the table, takes the jag lid off and exposes the Nintendo branded SNES Jr. PCB inside it for the world to see.

• Like 6

$50 to the guy who grabs that POS on the table, takes the jag lid off and exposes the Nintendo branded SNES Jr. PCB inside it for the world to see.

How quickly can we get a Kickstarter up to raise money for this?

EDIT: We don't have a prototype. :(

Edited by bretthorror

$20 bucks* to the guy who pulls out an acoustic and sings this in front of the Coleco booth.

*Canadian

20 whole Canadian Pesos?

I always thought the 'Policy of Truth' was the theme song for the chameleon.

It's really about the opposite direction of truth, but the "'never again,' is what you swore, the time before" bit that still hits it home for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VBmHOYpV8

Edited by Reaperman

Whilst this is the most insane thing, I have ever seen in retro gaming (yes, this beats Thunderturd), it would be fucking funny if this was a punk, ala Ashton Kutcher's Punk'd and everyone is gonna be gob smacked, when the real thing is revealed. :lol:

• Like 4

Whilst this is the most insane thing, I have ever seen in retro gaming (yes, this beats Thunderturd), it would be fucking funny if this was a punk, ala Ashton Kutcher's Punk'd and everyone is gonna be gob smacked, when the real thing is revealed. :lol:

Maybe Mike & team decided the world doesn't need the SNES Jr, so their design calls for buying all the existing systems, depopulating the board, scraping off all the traces and reusing the board for their design.

I'm already gobsmacked by what's going on. To find this was all just an intricate prank like that would be a refreshing dose of sanity! :lol:

• Like 1

I have been accused of spreading conspiracy theories on Facebook for asking a simple question. Posing a simple solution to the crap storm that Mike and company have caused for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/Scenic7PR/posts/10207477997284688

I have received reports from show attendees and it was obviously not all roses and cherry coke in the Chameleon booth. Anyhow, in my Facebook post, I simply put forward a method of stemming naysayers about the prototype being real. Simply LIFT the cover off and show it in a video or better yet, make it publicly known a time to be there at the booth and the board would be shown - lift the cover once and let some pics be taken and maybe a round of video and put it back on and be done. That would have stopped ALL speculation on this being an SNES Mini board inside that case. Apparently, I am a conspiracy theorist for feeling that would have stopped most of this discussion before it started.

• Like 9

There are a lot of blind followers on their FB page. Unfortunately for Mike, I don't think there's enough of them to make his project a success.

Mike would be lucky to be let off the hook by failing to meet the Kickstarter milestone. Otherwise, he's got to deliver something and deal with the inevitable backlash and high-profile media mockery. "Atari Jaguar Dies Again" will be one of the milder headlines.
  • Like 2