IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I have been accused of spreading conspiracy theories on Facebook for asking a simple question. Posing a simple solution to the crap storm that Mike and company have caused for themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/Scenic7PR/posts/10207477997284688

I have received reports from show attendees and it was obviously not all roses and cherry coke in the Chameleon booth. Anyhow, in my Facebook post, I simply put forward a method of stemming naysayers about the prototype being real. Simply LIFT the cover off and show it in a video or better yet, make it publicly known a time to be there at the booth and the board would be shown - lift the cover once and let some pics be taken and maybe a round of video and put it back on and be done. That would have stopped ALL speculation on this being an SNES Mini board inside that case. Apparently, I am a conspiracy theorist for feeling that would have stopped most of this discussion before it started.

I'm not surprised. Some people will stand by companies or products no matter what, for better or for worse. It is when fanboyism goes too far and start to show its ugly face that reason is cast aside.

Of course i also get that asking someone to open up their product in public before the KS might sound silly for all sorts of reasons, but as this is a quite serious situation with an obvious attempt at fraud going on i am not so concious about that anymore.

Mike would be lucky to be let off the hook by failing to meet the Kickstarter milestone. Otherwise, he's got to deliver something and deal with the inevitable backlash and high-profile media mockery. "Atari Jaguar Dies Again" will be one of the milder headlines.

Is this on Kickstarter? I didn't see it there.

I'm not surprised. Some people will stand by companies or products no matter what, for better or for worse. It is when fanboyism goes too far and start to show its ugly face that reason is cast aside.

Of course i also get that asking someone to open up their product in public before the KS might sound silly for all sorts of reasons, but as this is a quite serious situation with an obvious attempt at fraud going on i am not so concious about that anymore.

I agree it is an absurd notion to ask them to open the case at the show but, well, considering their past in this regard, it is not absurd at all. It is a necessity. They are trying to rebuild support in the community they are expecting to support this thing but are doing nothing to actually rebuild that support. Now that the show is over, no matter if they do it in the next 10 minutes or 10 days, revealing the "prototype board" now is only going to reek of "bait and switch". No one is going to believe that the board they show off now is the board that was in the Jaguar case at the show. I am sure that there will be tons of people that are all on cloud 9 supporting this thing that will defend it as long as it is the "cool thing to do".

I guess that is what us conspiracy theorists are all about though- never happy.

I think I will start naming my articles "Coleco Chameleon Conspiracy Corner" or something.

• Like 2

I think I will start naming my articles "Coleco Chameleon Conspiracy Corner" or something.

Heck, appealing to history just like RVGS likes to do you could just do a play on Nixon a.k.a "tricky dick" and the Watergate scandal.

Call it "Tricky Mick and the Colecogate scandal". It's both retro and contemporary at the same time just like we love it.

• Like 5

It certainly doesn't take long for the ugly face to come out among that crowd, does it? The people who are the public face of this project, and their sheeple followers on Facebook and YouTube, always seem to be wound tight and ready to jump on you with both feet if they sense anything less than unconditional enthusiasm and adoration: they'll delete your messages, they'll ban you, and if they can't do that, they'll just lash out at you, flinging expletives and accusations like thunderbolts. They seem especially fond of branding people they don't like as "haters": they don't think they need to respond to searching questions or even constructive criticisms, because after all, those people are just a bunch of "haters." Not very attractive behavior for people who are supposedly all about nostalgia and fun.

• Like 3

Well, all will be revealed tomorrow at 8:30AM (I guess ET as the show goes on until the 16th at 4PM) with the new KS tier.

I bet they'll announce the Coleco Chameleon "I can't believe it's not a SNES mini" Edition to prove to the haters there was no foul play.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

I agree it is an absurd notion to ask them to open the case at the show but, well, considering their past in this regard, it is not absurd at all. It is a necessity. They are trying to rebuild support in the community they are expecting to support this thing but are doing nothing to actually rebuild that support. Now that the show is over, no matter if they do it in the next 10 minutes or 10 days, revealing the "prototype board" now is only going to reek of "bait and switch". No one is going to believe that the board they show off now is the board that was in the Jaguar case at the show. I am sure that there will be tons of people that are all on cloud 9 supporting this thing that will defend it as long as it is the "cool thing to do".

I guess that is what us conspiracy theorists are all about though- never happy.

Well, they can't because that's what it is, bro. During business hours, keep pimping your stuff. Actually, after a crowd died down for 5 minutes, I'd prove them wrong.

But, I'm telling you this, when you're in the business of customer service, which they are, whether they know it or not, if I don't have a SNES mini in that shell, I will take 5 minutes to show my hardwired controllers into my own board/FPGA after hours, whatever to prove these AA bastards wrong. If I worked at a McDonald's even as a counter guy, if someone accused us of blowing loads in the McFlurries, I would absolutely prove them wrong, not just to save face, but because as a human being, it's despicable, and as decent people, we wouldn't do that. It's a matter of pride. You don't go 48 hours with the vocal, and at this point, AA forums have been THE place where people get their source info from on this shitting on you when you have a real system in there and don't show it off. That would never happen, man. It's a mini in there. I know you know it and are trying to be unbiased. But that would never happen.

As an example, Shawn has a listing on eBay with a dope ass fucking 5200 system on there. If I said his custom controller didn't work, he wouldn't pull the guts out of that shit and show it works? Of course he would. I don't ever believe for a second if I told Kevtris his FPGA can't run Pick-Axe Pete and dozens/hundreds were behind me he wouldn't be like, "bitch, I can run that shit!" and show off the details.

Mike is NOT fucking Nintendo or even a corporation keeping their cards close to their chest on innovative, industry bursting tech. He is begging for our fucking money to try to make something happen. I don't like that a small few give him the benefit of the doubt because he's trying to put a little business together to get his shit going when reputable people wouldn't do it because it's either not plausible or they don't have the means to make a real proto to get shit going. I just don't get it.

End of the day, I hate that we have to tip-toe around the guy trying to obviously scam us instead of just blatantly saying, "Mikey... all you gotta do is show the "hard wired" connections." You don't even have to show another part of the board.

• Like 9

They seem especially fond of branding people as "haters": they don't think they need to respond to searching questions or even constructive criticisms, because after all, those people are just a bunch of "haters."

That's the simple solution for them, I guess. Anyone not in on their delusion of grandeur isn't worth the time and effort to pay attention to, it seems.

The whole situation is weird... again. It's deja vu all over again from last fall. They forgot to fill in the "lessons learned" page of their last "project".

I try not to think about it too much ;), but it's weird that they have a President, COO, VP BD, VP Sales, and more, all for a little start-up that basically only has a few hunks of steel that could be made for about $30K. At this point, this should just be a garage or home office operation with one or two buddies working just a couple of hours most evenings.

It's all ludicrous. Full stop.

• Like 7

We know that thenavguy here on the forums is friend with Mike and his further silence likely attests that even him at this point has no way to dispell the allegations (no blame on his friendship, that has nothing to do with the point I'd like to make), do we know if anyone here on the forums is friend with Woita just to see if they can get his opinion, point of view?

I believe Pipercub admires/knows Phil Adams, any chance to get Phil reactions on what is going on?

It'll be interesting to know PikoInteractive impressions of what he saw and what we think he was exposed to instead (I believe it to be a SNES mini).

He had a SNES game PCB with him and that cannot be coincidence, I wonder if that's what Mike promised (the CC will play your SNES games natively) or he mentioned that the current "proto" had a SNES cart connector but that would change so it was just a chance to try out if the game even works.

Edited by phoenixdownita

At the end of the day the way I see it is someone gets the mold for Jaguar shells and sells a bunch of clear ones . Then thinks of a way to try and sell a whole bunch more ...

Regarding that ... it's been told many times over that the purchase of the molds saved literally 500K$ ... I'd be interested if in these days and age it is even true anymore. Maybe Bill could ask to his contacts at AtGames how much the flashbacks cases (Coleco, INTV, Atari, any one) really costed in respect to the rest.

Heck, appealing to history just like RVGS likes to do you could just do a play on Nixon a.k.a "tricky dick" and the Watergate scandal.

Call it "Tricky Mick and the Colecogate scandal". It's both retro and contemporary at the same time just like we love it.

I kinda am annoyed as well, see I ask them questions get no answers and and they want 150.00 on a kickstarter project ..

The presentation in NY was horrible...

The ignoring though is what set me off and before that they had 110% of my support, not to mention it was simple questions will it play coleco/Atari/intv carts

???

Not even a vague response like WTF

• Like 1

Regarding that ... it's been told many times over that the purchase of the molds saved literally 500K$ ... I'd be interested if in these days and age it is even true anymore. Maybe Bill could ask to his contacts at AtGames how much the flashbacks cases (Coleco, INTV, Atari, any one) really costed in respect to the rest.

It's a lie. Just like most of what Mike Kennedy says. Why does anyone even remotely trust him after the RVGS debacle? This is the second time he's shown a fake prototype. How much more proof do people need?
  • Like 9

I kinda am annoyed as well, see I ask them questions get no answers and and they want 150.00 on a kickstarter project ..

The presentation in NY was horrible...

The ignoring though is what set me off and before that they had 110% of my support, not to mention it was simple questions will it play coleco/Atari/intv carts

???

Not even a vague response like WTF

I vaguely remember in ye olde tymes of yore (last autumn, lol) some kind of discussion from Mike and his cronies that they would develop adapters for carts from classic systems for the RVGS. Though i cannot remember if it was really official or sideline speculation.

Regardless, the proposition was torn to shreds in a short manner of time as silly as it doeant rhyme a bit with their financial plan/fantasy, as this isnt a Retro Trio or Retron type of concept that would earn its keep by just providing a system for older systems. No sir, Mike is intent on delivering not just the system but also a magazine to fart up his own and his systems ego in while delivering the cartridges himself. An all-in-1 concept really.

If he want to sell games for it and make a profit he can't let people use their 30 year old carts in it. Simple as that.

Besides, if we toy with the idea that it would accept carts for the ColecoVision, NES, SNES etc what is stopping people from loading flash carts with the very same homebrews he is trying to sell to us in his own Jaguar carts and play them that way, effectively dodging his sales?

This whole idea isnt really about the games, as legions of people already have explained in this thread. It is about Mikes fantasy of people collecting his carts and wanking off to low serial numbers and nothing else.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 1

It certainly doesn't take long for the ugly face to come out among that crowd, does it? The people who are the public face of this project, and their sheeple followers on Facebook and YouTube, always seem to be wound tight and ready to jump on you with both feet if they sense anything less than unconditional enthusiasm and adoration: they'll delete your messages, they'll ban you, and if they can't do that, they'll just lash out at you, flinging expletives and accusations like thunderbolts. They seem especially fond of branding people they don't like as "haters": they don't think they need to respond to searching questions or even constructive criticisms, because after all, those people are just a bunch of "haters." Not very attractive behavior for people who are supposedly all about nostalgia and fun.

I bet if you profiled a few of the zealots Mike has lined up to white knight for him on social media it would be a real eye opener. Many of this stripe lose their peacock feathers quickly when under the microscope. "Collectards" might be a pejorative, but it's so fitting.

• Like 4

I vaguely remember in ye olde tymes of yore (last autumn, lol) some kind of discussion from Mike and his cronies that they would develop adapters for carts from classic systems for the RVGS. Though i cannot remember if it was really official or sideline speculation.

Regardless, the proposition was torn to shreds in a short manner of time as silly as it doeant rhyme a bit with their financial plan/fantasy, as this isnt a Retro Trio or Retron type of concept that would earn its keep by just providing a system for older systems. No sir, Mike is intent on delivering not just the system but also a magazine to fart up his own and his systems ego in while delivering the cartridges himself. An all-in-1 concept really.

If he want to sell games for it and make a profit he can't let people use their 30 year old carts in it. Simple as that.

Besides, if we toy with the idea that it would accept carts for the ColecoVision, NES, SNES etc what is stopping people from loading flash carts with the very same homebrews he is trying to sell to us in his own Jaguar carts and play them that way, effectively dodging his sales?

This whole idea isnt really about the games, as legions of people already have explained in this thread. It is about Mikes fantasy of people collecting his carts and wanking off to low serial numbers and nothing else.

Precisely great points

It's all ludicrous. Full stop.

That it is! But I don't think you should have crossed out the rest of your post, because you're right: the approach that Mike and Co. have taken since this project's inception has been exactly backwards in every possible way.

If you're building a game console the right way, you design it from the inside out, but they started with a plastic shell and then tried to figure out what should go into it.

If you're building a company the right way, you start small with the people who can develop the product and then hire additional management who can grow the business and market it, but they started with a top-heavy roster of VPs and "idea guys" but without anybody with the know-how to design and build a legitimate prototype that wouldn't look like crap. Apparently they didn't even have anybody on the floor at Toy Fair who knew how to wire up a power LED or a pushbutton switch.

Normally, this whole story wouldn't be worthy of anyone's attention beyond having a good laugh about it. But whether it happened out of desperation or greed (or both), this has clearly gone beyond one man's well-meaning but quixotic quest to build an indie console, and has deteriorated into a full-fledged scam.

We'll see what happens when the Kickstarter campaign is launched, but with a gullible press lapping up everything they say, and with an uninformed public that has both disposable income and nostalgic feelings for old video games, I'm a bit worried that they might actually be able to eke out enough money to put them over the top, especially if they keep their initial goal low enough. That would be a terrible outcome for everybody involved, and for the hobby as a whole.

• Like 6

I would also like to hear from others involved besides mike himself. I'm told Steve Woita sometimes frequents AA and the facebook group. I'd like someone to do an interview with people on the team who aren't Mike Kennedy. I'd like to see a niche console added to the market and I'd love to see indie devs able to put their game on a new platform. I'm amazed that we're this far in and still we get smoke and mirrors. I want to believe. This "team" makes it insanely difficult to believe anything without suffering from a massive stroke.

I don't think most of us are on a witch hunt. I don't think most of us are out to defraud Mike or his team. Besides the fake CC twitter account, I haven't seen anyone go out of their way to lie about the Chameleon. All bad press has been because of Mike making promises he can't keep and or blaming former team members for things.

I guess we get to wait until the 26th to see what is under the jaguar curtain. I fully expect just more poorly done 3D renders and a bunch of poorly edited videos at this point. Maybe a couple more excuses that money is needed to fund the dream.

I'm tired of sitting on the fence. I'm tired of looking at the burnt bridge. Either put the horse in a race or bury it already.

• Like 6