IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

For their credit, their Controller actually functioned as a Classic Controller Pro (not Wii-U Pro controller) with the Wiimote Bluetooth module built in. The issue here is that Wii-U Pro controllers do not work with Wii games (except specially modified Wii games downloadable in Wii-U VC mode), and many Wii-U games support Classic Controllers but some do not.

On paper, this seemed like a nice little controller for that reason. Needing an IR pointer for Wii U games is kinda bullshit. I got the gray one with colorful buttons that resembled a Super Famicom controller.

In practice, it was unusable because it couldn't hold a charge for more than ten minutes.

The Coleco Chameleon was somehow less disappointing, but much more amusing.

Oh, and they never wrote back to me when I asked them if they were sourcing the controller for the CoCham.

• Like 4

No wonder they changed their name. That WiiU controller (which was also the "prototype" CoCham controller) is known, proven trash. Good catch!

Not even the writers of Breaking Bad or Orange is the New Black could have put together such an ill fated and well linked storyline, WOW, just WOW.

• Like 4

On paper, this seemed like a nice little controller for that reason. Needing an IR pointer for Wii U games is kinda bullshit. I got the gray one with colorful buttons that resembled a Super Famicom controller.

In practice, it was unusable because it couldn't hold a charge for more than ten minutes.

I've got the same one. I agree about it not holding charge. It is useless.

Mine also has a problem when you press multiple buttons. For example in Mario Kart when you are holding down the button to accelerate and then need to jump or use an item it stops accelerating!

• Like 1

post-9942-0-68276100-1479219798_thumb.png

Apparently Retro is cancelling it's distribution model, to make it even better!

Given the typical MK spin factor, I humbly suggest the most likely interpretation of this is that the distributor dropped them because they haven't been able to deliver the magazine consistently.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-11-15 at 8.22.29 AM.png

Apparently Retro is cancelling it's distribution model, to make it even better!

Given the typical MK spin factor, I humbly suggest the most likely interpretation of this is that the distributor dropped them because they haven't been able to deliver the magazine consistently.

Or it sits on the shelves unsold.

• Like 6

So when is the Coelco Chameleon Classic Mini coming out?

Can't have that until the SNES mini comes out. Then just need to make the tiny Jag shells... We already have the defective Wii controllers ready to go!

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 5

So I had been told that it wouldn't be possible to hack the NES Mini because it's a system on a chip,

its a fairly standard embedded arm running an os (wild guess its some lightweight linux) with standard issue flash rom

if someone is willing to put time into it, one could do anything they wanted with it, but outside of the nintendo case, at that point there's a zillion other more powerful lower priced options, but someone will eventually do it just for fun

• Like 5

Hack, or remove the interior guts and install something different?

Apparently the Japanese Hacker, was able to tap into the Famicom Mini's system and actually put in a prototype linux front end of his own making. I know it isn't an out right "hey I hacked this and added a shit ton more games" but it opens the door for stuff on both Mini systems

• Like 2