IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Wow. That Retro-Bit Generations really looks like a piece of crap. I'm very glad that I sprung for the retroUSB AVS instead. It's so good that I don't even mind sitting out the feeding frenzy over the NES Classic Edition; the AVS offers the same HDMI output as well as compatibility with classic controllers, and (IMHO) is a better value overall.

So ... let's recap how Mike has been doing since he decided to abandon his own RVGS/Chameleon "venture" in favor of selling and/or supporting other peoples' products:

The EMIO Edge Joysticks and Joypads for the NES Classic Edition: Mike wrote an NES Classic Edition cheat guide for these controllers, but the guide contains several inaccuracies (as documented earlier in this thread), and it turns out that the controllers don't even work with the NES Classic Edition and will probably have to be recalled. Oops!

Retro-Bit Generations: Mike is a distributor for these, but he'll probably be getting a lot of them back because they're getting very mixed reviews and apparently have several quality control issues (see the previous post). Oops!

Meanwhile, his magazine has reportedly lost its distributor and its retail presence in Barnes & Noble, and GameGavel is still "growing by leaps and bounds" (which is Mike-speak for "nearly dead"). Oops!!!

As I've said before ... he's the original Reverse King Midas.

• Like 9

Schizophretard, on 26 Nov 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

Still better than the Coleco Chameleon.

I'll never own either :-D

Scratch that ...Maybe someday...a Retro-Bit complete with beyond low expectations haha...

And yet (for some reason) what these remind me of was this famiclone system I once bought with a bunch of built-in games...There was a ton of stuff listed on the box, including some I didn't recognize or was curious about...I remember the thing being fairly cheap (maybe $30 or so) and it was "themed" as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles deal...Completely unlicensed from China. It was even shaped like a Turtle Shell LOL...

But it didn't work at all! Never saw video from it...

I guess I should show some pics now that I've described it... This was the Retro-Bit Chameleon in my life...(We've all got one somewhere) :)

fan2vk.jpg

dr781z.jpg

• Like 1

I do agree with the guy when he states "zero care put into its production". Earlier in this thread somebody was venting about how crappy products get released by companies who think they're "good enough", except their standards are purposefully extremely low to save a buck; to the point of being insulting to consumers. I guess it is cheap though, considering there are pirated MAME JAMMA boards for $100 that play at ~30 fps with some sound issues.

Doesn't retrobit just rebrand cheap products to begin with? I have one of their N64 expansion packs (works fine so far), but on the back there's a factory sticker from TTX. :?

Some stuff is rebranded. Some stuff (like the SRT and Generations) are done in house. The three big clone companies Yobo, Retrobit, and Hyperkin compete with each other but I have seen accessories with each companies brand that clearly came from the same factory.

• Like 2

Some stuff is rebranded. Some stuff (like the SRT and Generations) are done in house. The three big clone companies Yobo, Retrobit, and Hyperkin compete with each other but I have seen accessories with each companies brand that clearly came from the same factory.

True, a lot of designs are in house but there are times when they share platforms. Take this village bicycle for example:

m04041_bk_02.jpg

51e-4M90G1L._SX425_.jpg

yobo-nes-clone.jpg

41ZnBfb02mL.jpg

Oh and in case anyone missed it, the latest CU Podcast included discussion of the EMiO NES Mini controller problems. It's at like 50 minutes in.

• Like 7

Oh and in case anyone missed it, the latest CU Podcast included discussion of the EMiO NES Mini controller problems.

So it does! The EMIO segment starts at about 63:00; I started listening to that episode already but hadn't gotten that far yet. Pat has some fun with Mike's brilliant cheat guide, too. I'm sure it will eventually show up as an isolated YouTube segment.

It's interesting that the GamerzTek 8-Bit system was also marketed by other companies with different cases and controllers. I bought the GamerzTek system after seeing your reviews, and it's a great little NES clone. I still think the GamerzTek version is the best: the styling is the closest match to the original NES, and IMHO, the revised GamerzTek controllers (with the rubber Start/Select buttons) are 99% as good as Nintendo's originals. I picked up a few extra sets for my retroUSB AVS, in fact.

• Like 1

It's interesting that the GamerzTek 8-Bit system was also marketed by other companies with different cases and controllers. I bought the GamerzTek system after seeing your reviews, and it's a great little NES clone. I still think the GamerzTek version is the best: the styling is the closest match to the original NES, and IMHO, the revised GamerzTek controllers (with the rubber Start/Select buttons) are 99% as good as Nintendo's originals. I picked up a few extra sets for my retroUSB AVS, in fact.

Well, the GamerzTek one is a bit of a stretch on my part. It has the same footprint, but if you look at the power/reset it's slightly different. And to my knowledge the other three will not play Castlevania III, so it's a little different under the hood. You're right that it's the pick of the litter and I would still recommend it to anyone, not the other three though because of the compatibility problems I hear and the controllers are awful.

So it does! The EMIO segment starts at about 63:00; I started listening to that episode already but hadn't gotten that far yet. Pat has some fun with Mike's brilliant cheat guide, too. I'm sure it will eventually show up as an isolated YouTube segment.

Well, the GamerzTek one is a bit of a stretch on my part. It has the same footprint, but if you look at the power/reset it's slightly different. And to my knowledge the other three will not play Castlevania III, so it's a little different under the hood. You're right that it's the pick of the litter and I would still recommend it to anyone, not the other three though because of the compatibility problems I hear and the controllers are awful.

GamerzTek clone console took a step in the right direction with better compatibility, but the audio is back to the old 2004 Yobo era with the swapped duty cycles. Why, in 2016, are they reverting to reversed duty cycles when clone systems had seemingly fizxed this years ago???

Some people won't notice, but for those who do, it totally ruins the games. It's literally a crap shoot which revision of the NOAC you get.

• Like 1

Oh and in case anyone missed it, the latest CU Podcast included discussion of the EMiO NES Mini controller problems. It's at like 50 minutes in.

I missed this. Somebody have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind...

http://thepunkeffect.com/cupodcast-86-nes-classic-edition-review-ebay-scalping-lost-snes-kirby-games-found-watch-dogs-2-vagina-more/

Here is a link to the complete podcast. Pat typically posts YouTube videos of selected segments, but the EMIO discussion hasn't been posted yet.

That was epic! Pat actually read the caption to my 3-star Amazon review of the Edge joystick. 1:08:37 - "Real Arcade Quality Microswitch Joystick for Virtual Console Games. Wii/Wii-U only." I think I'm officially famous now... 8)

• Like 4

They've pulled them from stores to make them even better. Simple as that. Remember when?

In all seriousness the company pulled them from sale in order to include a adapter, and anyone who has one will get one for free plus a bonus. At least the company is trying to make good, although they should have waited to release it until they TRIED one in a Mini.

Not that it matters....no telling WHEN I can get a NES Mini. I knew Nintendo was going to pull this shit again.

• Like 2