IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Here it comes ...

Massachusetts, USA February 10, 2017 We have been receiving a lot of feedback since we announced the Super Game Module Pro back in January 1st, and based on that we decided to change our plans accordingly:

1) The SGM Pro is now indefinitely on hold.

2) Instead the sound subsystem we created was transferred to Project Prometheus, a new super 8-bit console coming from Opcode Games, and it will be fully backward compatible with the ColecoVision and the Super Game Module.

It wasnt an easy decision, but let me give you a little background so you can better understand why we changed our plans. We started developing the SGM Pro back in early 2016. The board (PCB) was created way back in March, we even printed the boxes and stocked the clear black cases. That was a considerable investment in time and money we already made. However later in 2016, the opportunity for Project Prometheus arose, the perfect conjunction of many happy factors. Add to that the aforementioned feedback we got where: 1) people were frustrated by a new version of the SGM and the confusion it may cause, 2) people were really looking for a new ColecoVision compatible console. In the end of the day it became clear we had too many hardware products planned, and the SGM Pro was looking more and more like the Sega 32X of the ColecoVision line. So we made the hard decision of pulling the plug on the SGM Pro, even though that represents quite a financial hit to us in terms of inventory. On the other hand we believe Project Prometheus will better provide what ColecoVision and retro gaming general community alike are looking for.

And what about the regular Super Game Module? Well, that is the good news. Pre-orders for the 4th run will start in just a couple of week. Same deluxe packaging as the previous run at the same $90 price. Moreover, all games you saw during the SGM Pro presentation are still coming for the regular SGM.

More details about Project Prometheus will be revealed later this year. However please notice we arent realistically expecting to release Project Prometheus until late 2018.

Grazi and Ed.

So project Prometheus .... Coleco ++ except -- maybe end of 2018.

I dunno, my distrust is probably all in this statement

Grazi is going to kill me if I say something...
Again, I will say what Prometheus is not. It isn't a MSX, And while we can't guarantee 100% compatibility with the ColecoVision at this point (until we get the first prototypes in a few months), we sure are aiming to get as close as possible to that.
That said, the logic here is this, and I hope you guys see that as a good thing: releasing expansion modules to the CV doesn't expand the audience we have. Instead we get a subset. A lot of people wanting to enter the CV scene are refraining from that because they can't find a CV that works fine, or they are kind of afraid to have to deal with a 30+ years old piece of hardware. At the same time, we are in the middle of retro gaming fever, retro gaming is cool, a lot of people are paying attention. And while it would be tempting to position Prometheus as a sort of ColecoVision 2, we are trying to avoid links with Coleco. Instead we prefer to position it as a new retro gaming platform that also plays almost 100% of all ColecoVision + SGM games, and hope it will bring new blood to the CV scene, but also expand beyond that, into the 8/16 bit crowd.

Other than that we have some ambitious plans that we aren't discussing yet, and hope to release Prometheus with at least 3 dedicated games. Prometheus games won't run on regular CV with or without SGM.

My very disillusioned stance: they are smelling $$$ so why not trying???

Retro is so IN these days .... someone forgets that all those other retro systems do sell once they unlock "ROMZ" playing (or come with enough legal builtin games and are cheap enough but good quality, i.e: NES classic mini but NOT Retrobit generations) .... so RETRO may well be IN for the HW side (console) but very very few really want to pay 50-60+ US$ for "new" retro-style games, let alone the actual old ones, and we all know a new console is only as good as its games.

Sounds familiar? (except for the tech capabilities of the team I mean, which does ship stuff)

• Like 2

I held off on a the SGM for the usual it was bad for the finances problem. I did put myself on the wait list for the pro version.

So that is not happening.

But ugh... for fucks's sake. Another one of these project? The market for these projects is very small with a lot of players with pie in the sky ambitions.

Still.. you are correct. They at least ship actual products even if it takes way longer than announced. They might regret this direction and wish they had stuck with the Pro version. This isn't MK level stuff though.

• Like 1

Here it comes ...

So project Prometheus .... Coleco ++ except -- maybe end of 2018.

I dunno, my distrust is probably all in this statement

My very disillusioned stance: they are smelling $$$ so why not trying???

Retro is so IN these days .... someone forgets that all those other retro systems do sell once they unlock "ROMZ" playing (or come with enough legal builtin games and are cheap enough but good quality, i.e: NES classic mini but NOT Retrobit generations) .... so RETRO may well be IN for the HW side (console) but very very few really want to pay 50-60+ US$ for "new" retro-style games, let alone the actual old ones, and we all know a new console is only as good as its games.

Sounds familiar? (except for the tech capabilities of the team I mean, which does ship stuff)

Looks like the 7800 XM and Coleco Chameleon just had a baby together... :facepalm:

• Like 1

Even though it sounds like it's a long ways off, I'm actually stoked for Prometheus!

The thing is I don't want to let the Chameleon make me jaded, or soured (or whatever the opposite of spoiled is) toward any new retro console release.

And if, just theoretically here...Let's say a ColecoVision 2 Did come out and It was branded Coleco and had access to the licenses of the coolest ColecoVision games, for the purposes of making sequels to cool franchises like Mr. Do! or Omega Race (for instance)...I'd probably be the first in line for that too!

I realize I'm part of a niche within a niche, that likes "cult" products or however people will describe something independent with less than "mass appeal". I held off on an SGM mainly because whenever I wanted one they weren't for sale and then each new cool game coming out seemed to require one....I hope Opcode does a little better in that respect...

But I can see where they're coming from and I wish them the best....Also, minor sales and distribution concerns aside, they don't seem to be the kind of company to start a full-blown ad campaign for something before there is even a prototype. They seem to be cautious, just kind of letting people know that they're working on something to build a bit of early buzz....While concrete details will be forthcoming later...Maybe I'm just being optimistic here, but I'd like to think maybe the mistakes of Chameleon will be on their mind...And though many are negative (understandably after being burned by CC and MK), I'm going to try and give them the benefit of the doubt...

BTW My comments are not about whether or not you will buy one...Obviously if you don't want one, don't buy one, ... But I'm speaking to whether or not the concept is a valid pursuit. I'll just say I like the idea.

• Like 1

A standalone Coleco not produced by Atgames would be cool. Sorry for my above comment, but I think the 32X comparisons have validity. Super Game Module Too may have been too ambitious. And if a brand new console is only slightly more to produce than the Pro module, it would make sense to produce a whole new console rather than endless add-ons.

• Like 1

The thing is I don't want to let the Chameleon make me jaded, or soured (or whatever the opposite of spoiled is) toward any new retro console release.

You don't have to become jaded. Be glad it happened, actually. Everyone should be a little cautious with kickstarters. And the best solution is to buy it after it hits the shelves and is thoroughly vetted.

• Like 2

True... they (Opcode) haven't gotten into the kick starter route with past projects (correct me if I am wrong). There will at least be working prototypes first. Maybe it will be better than the enhanced SGM. My own CV is not in great shape, and it would be nice to have something more than a crap in the box ATgames plug and play.

Since the direction is a new console, I hope he has some concrete ideas of what it can be in reality and not over promise.

All that said.... this thread has jumped the shark more than once, which isn't a big deal, but maybe discussion of Opcode's products can go elsewhere as his products have and will exist in some form in reality while MK's are just in his time distortion reality pocket universe bubble.

• Like 5

Another e-mail from MK today about RETRO magazine. Not a whole lot in it, but he's still totally committed. :)

Hello RETRO Readers,

I hope you are all enjoying your latest issue of RETRO. We tried to fill it up with tons of interesting interviews and hopefully you learned something about a favorite game or developer/programmer. It was a fun issue to put together and read ourselves!

Now that the final issue of this campaign has come and gone I will be working on wrapping up the remaining backer rewards. Many have received their rewards throughout the extended length of this campaign but I know others are still waiting for their shirts, bumper stickers and buttons. I hope to have these all mailed in the next 1-2 weeks.

As a reminder, if you are still interested in getting the future issues of RETRO when they become available you can sign up by clicking HERE on our Patreon Page. You can sign up for as little as $5.99/print issue (USA) and you are charged only when the latest issue is complete and mailing -- no more paying up front for issues you will be wondering, when and if you will be getting them. Pay as you go on Patreon.

We are still depending on your continued support. And I want to make sure you all know I don't take your support for granted, especially with our delays over the length of this campaign. Your support mean's the world to me and the rest of the RETRO team.

Issue #13, our celebration of Survivial Horror games is in the layout and design stage. It will also feature an in-depth look at the history of Video Pinball as well as a smattering of other fun and in-depth video game retrospectives and interviews. And we still have a few remaining Gaming Pioneer Interviews that will round out this latest issue of RETRO.

And, as a reminder, you can all continue to download all (12) of our issues/back issues using the discount code "retrodigital" when you check out on our shopping cart site by CLICKING HERE. It will credit the $3/issue charges automatically when you type the code in the Discount Code Field upon checkout. You can then download them to your PC immediately and then transfer to your mobile device, if you wish.

Thanks again and we look forward to mailing you more issues in the future.

- Mike

Only $8,000 to go!

I love "we look forward to mailing you more issues in the future."

Oh but it is NOT $8,000 to go. The absolute MINIMUM of $9500 has been slashed in half so now he only needs $4500 to ship issue 13. Moving the goal post closer, check the Patreon, the explanation is priceless.

• Like 4

Oh, my

I have created a new goal as we are slowly making our way to the $9,500 main goal. This probably should have been done before, looking back. But we will make adjustments as needed. I will commit to funding the balance of each issue if needed to make sure we get an issue out more or less on time. The amount of new Patreons needed to hit this goal is roughly 500. Help us get there by sharing our campaign with your gaming friends, family and by posting a link on your social networks. Together we will keep RETRO moving forward. Thanks again to all our current and future Patreons.
  • Like 5

Oh but it is NOT $8,000 to go. The absolute MINIMUM of $9500 has been slashed in half so now he only needs $4500 to ship issue 13. Moving the goal post closer, check the Patreon, the explanation is priceless.

As the saying goes, "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!"

• Like 7

As the saying goes, "If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!"

post-2410-0-23673400-1487943970_thumb.jpg

Seriously, what is up with this guy?

I have created a new goal as we are slowly making our way to the $9,500 main goal.

In other words, your reach exceeded your grasp. Again.

This probably should have been done before, looking back.

In the future, moving forward.

But we will make adjustments as needed.

But who is this "we," kemosabe?

I will commit to funding the balance of each issue if needed to make sure we get an issue out more or less on time.

Excellent use of weasel words. What does "more or less on time" mean? Is this like, "in a sense, Coleco is back?"

The amount of new Patreons needed to hit this goal is roughly 500.

Until you decide that your white whale is too far away, in which case, 250 would be great. 100? Fifty? Anyone? You can download the entire back catalog! I'll even throw in coupon for 5% off an awesome Retro-Bit Generations console (shipping and handling is now $50).

Help us get there by sharing our campaign with your gaming friends, family and by posting a link on your social networks.

Heh, I don't think so. Maybe you should give your old "PR firm" a ring.

Together we will keep RETRO moving forward.

There it is. Can I get a "simple as that?"

Thanks again to all our current and future Patreons.

But all you suckers from the past Kickstarters, forget you guys. Your money's no good here, and you've been banned from asking questions on the ReadRetro Facebook.

Side note: in crafting that brilliant paste-up photo (I know, I know, my skills are astounding), I noticed this weird thing about the source photo, ostensibly taken in a Barnes and Noble. What's up with his ear? Was he and his fabulous magazine even there?

post-2410-0-32778300-1487944682_thumb.jpg

I wish I could find a clean source for that one. I see something similar but not the same, different shirt and magazine selection, unfiltered, but almost exactly the same pose!

mike_kennedy_retro.jpg

mike-kennedy.jpg

Almost reminds me of Obama's amazingly consistent smile. Mike is a natural pitchman. It's too bad he isn't being managed by someone with a clue.

• Like 4

From the Patreon page: "Here is a sneak peek at RETRO #12 that is now arriving in our Patrons mailboxes any day."

​Hopefully the writing in the magazine isn't also filled with poor grammar and logic, and bonus lack of possessives.

It's in your mailbox now! Any day.

Just a minute... the page also includes a quite crafty "quality by association" grab for some rubbed-off respect:

"With the upcoming launch of Nintendo Switch it is a great time to subscribe to the only dedicated Nintendo fan game magazine still around -- Nintendo Force. Check out Nintendo Force Magazine, also here on Patreon."

I would like to see a response on NFM's page along the lines of "If you came here from the Retro Patreon link, we have nothing to do with that rag, but thanks for checking us out."

Edited by towmater
  • Like 5

In need of "simple as that" and a "moving forward"?

RETRO VIDEO GAME MAGAZINE - YEAR ONE CALL BACK

Hello RETRO Magazine Premier Year Backer,

Well it's been a while since we've posted an update here, mainly because this campaign finished out quite a while ago. I did want to come back in here and invite any of you who ended your RETRO relationship with this campaign to once again consider reading RETRO Magazine.

First off, I'd like to give you all a free discount code to download all (12) of our current/back issues. That code is "retrodigital" and can be used when you check out on our main shopping cart site by CLICKING HERE. Type the code in the discount code field when you check out and it will make all the digital issues FREE. You can then download them to your PC and then transfer to a mobile device if that is where you want them. Enjoy!

If you want to start receiving RETRO Video Game in your mailbox once again all you need to do is sign up by CLICKING ON OUR NEW PATREON PAGE HERE. Patreon is ideal for hosting our new issue sales because you only pay for one issue at a time, and only when it's complete and ready to mail to you. You can start by just paying as little as $2.99/digital issue and $5.99 for a print issue (USA) and slightly more in Canada and Internationally. You are then only billed as you go, as each issue is done and ready to mail. Simple as that. Never miss an issue!

You were all with us in the beginning, and many of you followed us through our second year campaign. Despite the delays we have managed to ship (12) issues thus far and are looking forward to a new year of RETRO. With your support on Patreon, we can get RETRO publishing on a smooth, consistent basis once again.

RETRO Issue #13 is going to celebrate the history of the Survival Horror genre as well as feature an in-depth look at the history of Video Pinball. It will also have a smattering of other fun and interesting game retrospectives and developer interviews as well as finish out with a few remaining Game Industry Pioneer interviews that were carried over from our just mailed out RETRO #12. Issue #13 has all the content turned in and is now in the layout and design phase.

Thanks to all of you for your original show of support and also for your consideration moving forward. It means the world to me and the rest of the RETRO team.

- Mike

• Like 1