IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Well, you're talking about the same company that releases products with their own logo split in half at the wrong spot to read "ECO" ... "COL" at the bottom of their packaging. At least I hope it was not broken that way intentionally. And, no, the name doesn't wrap around to and from the back of the package:

51in7wK6KvL._SX425_.jpg$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

You are missing the marketing genius that thought of them in a store shelf displayed side by side .....

• Like 2

it's weird how people notice these things ... there's someone called NE146 who has been using beatem and eatem for years ... the avatars burn into your psyche

I asked him what it was and it confirmed it, one interpretation was a guy with a jackhammer, the other the same guy smashing his glandis on the floor.

I like Ulala so much more. I came to identify your posts by that avatar.

"chu chu chu"

• Like 2

Wasn't that a song by Shel Silverstein?

The story of the Coleco Chameleon would be so delicious if told in the style of a long, gross, surprise-ending Shel Silverstein poem (with artwork) along the lines of Sara Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out, or Jimmy Jet and the TV Set.

I'd do it but I would need about two weeks of no interruptions and a rhyming dictionary. All I have is the rhyming dictionary.

• Like 1

Yeah, over ambitious to say the least. I still think it's a horrible design aesthetic to begin with.

It also places way too much significance on the Coleco name, which even to its diehard fans, is only mildly relevant in this day and age.

I like the Coleco name!

And I see it as a lower third...a banner, which you could imagine on a TV going across the screen...Or maybe a Stock Market ticker...COLECO COLECO COLECO ... LOL ...Even if in actuality it also reminds me of ECOL I the way they've done it haha...And the "10 in one", spelled in stylish (?) lower case letters up in the upper left corner...Well that's the real travesty of the packaging...

Well that and the fact it's sports games ... No thanks!

I'm sticking to Wii Sports...Wii Bowling is still a Classic!

Can someone Else rescue the Coleco name Please??

Can someone Else rescue the Coleco name Please??

I'm not sure it needs rescuing at this point. I mean, it would be nice for something better to be done with it (although I have no complaints about the licensing for the hardware and software Flashback stuff), but I don't think the Coleco name holds all that much weight anymore. The real value to me is in the game licenses they have. That to me is what really needs "rescuing," but of course there's some question to how far those game rights can actually be extended (i.e., can it be used beyond ColecoVision implementations), at least to me (I'm sure there's a contract somewhere that stipulates it all).

• Like 5

It still amuses me that COLECO was the COnnecticut LEather COmpany.

I wish I could find a picture of something (vintage) leather with the COLECO name on it.

It's all (old) game consoles and screens of Donkey Kong, plus the occasional Chameleon BS story.

Agreed that the brand is dead, dead, dead now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg2ZzPKl2M

It still amuses me that COLECO was the COnnecticut LEather COmpany.

I wish I could find a picture of something (vintage) leather with the COLECO name on it.

I guess almost any company that goes back far enough has "unusual" origins. Tandy was obviously into leather in its earliest form as well, and of course we all know Nintendo started out in playing cards, etc. There might be an interesting book/feature article somewhere in that concept.

• Like 3

I'm not sure it needs rescuing at this point. I mean, it would be nice for something better to be done with it (although I have no complaints about the licensing for the hardware and software Flashback stuff), but I don't think the Coleco name holds all that much weight anymore. The real value to me is in the game licenses they have. That to me is what really needs "rescuing," but of course there's some question to how far those game rights can actually be extended (i.e., can it be used beyond ColecoVision implementations), at least to me (I'm sure there's a contract somewhere that stipulates it all).

Agreed! And I do dig the ol Coleco Flashback, but I wish someone would get the rights to [be allowed to] homebrew some sequels to some of the top games...Obviously just a fantasy, but I dream of interesting sequels to games like Venture, Omega Race, Zaxxon, even Gateway to Apshai, or Jumpman Junior...

• Like 1

About time. That ZX Spectrum Vega+ campaign was such a load of shit. It seemed to get nothing but praise and hype at the time it was live and I don't know if that's because of the cult of personality around Clive Sinclair or if people were betting based on the success of the previous Vega plug n' play. But as someone just looking at the project and having absolutely no interest in anything 'Speccy' related, it was obvious this handheld was going to be a very challenging device to deliver on and their decision to take the IndieGoGo shortcut to crowdfunding without having a working prototype only complicated that process and may have sealed its doom from the start.

It's pure negligence to approach crowdfunding for a handheld, for even something as simple as ZX Spectrum emulation, without a preproduction prototype.

• Like 3

(UPDATED) DEADLINE TO GET IN ON THE MAILING LIST FOR ISSUE #13 - March 29th, 2017

And when this date comes?

A NEW exciting goal of exactly what has been pledged up to that point? The new absolute minimum necessary to print a run of Retro has proved to be as much of a moving target as any other financial figure in that shit show.

• Like 7

And when this date comes?

A NEW exciting goal of exactly what has been pledged up to that point? The new absolute minimum necessary to print a run of Retro has proved to be as much of a moving target as any other financial figure in that shit show.

The dude learns slowly.

Patreon seems to be a good medium for him, though. He can hide things so only his paying minions can see them.

post-2410-0-82510500-1489161837_thumb.png

Because when people can post things in public, it becomes so ... inconvenient. Like when they ask when they're going to receive the things they paid for.

post-2410-0-07317700-1489161891_thumb.png

• Like 2

Even excluding Mike's checkered past with the CC, retro mag, stolen minicades, and untested NES Classic controllers, Mike seems untrustworthy for his current venture just by virtue of the fact that you can't get ahold of him to ask questions. Literally every othe post on both his Patreon and his FB is someone who didn't get a magazine, and Mike promising to ship one the next day. If Retro is so inept at sending out EVEN THE ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN PRINTED AND ARE SITTING IN MIKE'S GARAGE, then why would anyone invest in future issues?

Mike seriously still thinks this magazine is his ticket to fame and fortune?

• Like 4