IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

in regards to piko's recent purchases, my only thought is I am glad he has the ability to take that loaded gamble on tainted properties, cause I sure wouldnt touch it, otherwise whatever, its his deal and best of luck

I wouldn't have touched it either. It was a ballsy move for sure, but in the financial world you cannot get ahead without taking risks. I hope he can turn things around but is wise not to show his cards until there is something to announce. For the time being, Game Gavel exists as a happy but smallish marketplace. No idea how he plans to revamp the magazine.

Mike's Patreon page is a separate issue and needs to be addressed ASAP, and either cancelled or all references to his name and account turned over to Eli / Piko. Why did Mike leave the Patreon page up if he no longer owns the mag? Makes little sense.

Kosmic Stardust, on 25 Jul 2017 - 7:00 PM, said:

I wouldn't have touched it either. It was a ballsy move for sure, but in the financial world you cannot get ahead without taking risks. I hope he can turn things around but is wise not to show his cards until there is something to announce. For the time being, Game Gavel exists as a happy but smallish marketplace. No idea how he plans to revamp the magazine.

Mike's Patreon page is a separate issue and needs to be addressed ASAP, and either cancelled or all references to his name and account turned over to Eli / Piko. Why did Mike leave the Patreon page up if he no longer owns the mag? Makes little sense.

I got a laugh out of reading 'Mike' and 'makes little sense' in the same post. :lol:

• Like 5

I am willing to bet a rebranding may be done, perhaps even a change of title

Perhaps keep the name around for a couple of issues, see what happens... and if it doesn't work, get rid of it.

But yeah, if Piko is handling this, there is a big chance that it might actually be a thing. Perhaps even a good thing!

It appears that the RETRO Videogame Magazine Patreon is finally down. The only website left to remind us of the once mighty Mike Kennedy empire is the ugly design of the GameGavel page.

Ding-dong, baby.

The stub is still there, for the future, I guess.

I wonder who fulfilled this final request from two weeks back? Is Mike hanging onto the "socalmike@gamegavel.com" address?

post-2410-0-25884300-1501245401_thumb.png

Ding-dong, baby.

The stub is still there, for the future, I guess.

I wonder who fulfilled this final request from two weeks back? Is Mike hanging onto the "socalmike@gamegavel.com" address?

More importantly, does this mean the end of this thread?

So close to 1M views ..... disappointing, just 7%, maybe we should have a patreon to be paid to get someone to generate those last 70K views .... just a thought.

I was secretly hoping in an encore from MK, something flamboyant and totally unpredictable like ... you know .... fuxxing apologizing for the mess he created ... oh well, he just doesn't have it in his DNA.

Maybe he turned over also the parrothead account here on AA .... one can only hope.

• Like 4

fuxxing apologizing for the mess he created ...

He did say that he was the only one that lost time, money, and reputation in this boondoggle. Apart from Coleco's self-inflicted wounds, I think that's pretty accurate. PikoInteractive's time and travel money were wasted too, but maybe success will be the best revenge in that case.

• Like 1

More importantly, does this mean the end of this thread?

So close to 1M views ..... disappointing, just 7%, maybe we should have a patreon to be paid to get someone to generate those last 70K views .... just a thought.

I was secretly hoping in an encore from MK, something flamboyant and totally unpredictable like ... you know .... fuxxing apologizing for the mess he created ... oh well, he just doesn't have it in his DNA.

Maybe he turned over also the parrothead account here on AA .... one can only hope.

This thread has one million views? Holy cow... :o

This thread has one million views? Holy cow... :o

Not quite yet ... only 932,925 views, as of this moment.

Eli just shared a subscriber update:

Hello! From the New Ownership Team!

==========

Hello!

This is Eli Galindo, and I just wanted to reach out to the full list of subscribers,

backers, members, etc of the Magazine to give you a quick update of what is

happening.

First off, we are slowly building relationships with new and previous writers. As I

have told every one of them, the new RETRO Magazine will be very open to any

professional writer that wants to come in and pitch articles of topics that they are

passionate about (within the Retro Gaming spectrum). I hope that this way it will

not feel like a shore, or topics will not be forced to writers and they would enjoy

writing for the Magazine.

Second, the main concern of buying the magazine assets was all the people that were

left hanging with pending subscriptions or issues when the business went burst. So

we have been working on ways and coming up with ideas to do right by them. We've

been talking with about 300 subscribers that have 1 issue pending to take care

first, then we will move up to about 750 subscribers that have 2 or more issues

left. We got a pallet full of back issues that some of these subscribers don't have

so we'll be offering these plus other goodies.

Once all or most of the pending subscribers are taken care of, the Website and may

be a patreon campaign will be open; here we will only charge you when a new issue is

ready to print (digital version 100% ready) this way we do not commit the mistakes

of the past. We would need a minimum of 1000 subs to make a physical print run.

We will re-launch the campaign with issue 13th which will be the last themed issue

there will ever be due that we have to honor some dealings with some third parties.

After this issue is available (digital only) we will stop doing themed issues,

increase the amount of content pages to 100+ and reduce the magazine issues from

quarterly to bi-yearly. This will ensure the magazine has the best content under the

Retro Gaming spectrum and not so much filler content.

At the moment I am a bit busy finishing up the Iron Commando IndieGogo (

http://sable.madmimi.com/c/48854?id=62158.253.1.0e8e7a5ce666be157a36de955336abbe )

campaign and working on the new Wisdom Tree Kickstarter (Shameless plug, check it

out if you are interested in new NES games or Sega Genesis games!) (

http://sable.madmimi.com/c/48854?id=62158.254.1.d4c2bb929b2dda995cfa37a9c7307f17).

But we'll be shipping out all the pending subs issues in the next few weeks and

working on the Issue 13th to have a release date of the last week of October.

Is you have any comments or questions, please let me know, I try to answer emails as

soon as possible.

**Kind regards,**

**The New RETRO Magazine Team**

So, to summarize: he's (re)building relationships with writers, working to do right by previous subscribers who were left hanging by Mike, and emphasizing quality over quantity (by increasing the page count while moving from a quarterly to a bi-yearly schedule). Not a bad start.

• Like 3

I got two messages (one was from Kickstarter, one was from when they changed distribution platforms), even though I was unsubscribed from both. I wasn't thrilled to have my contact information sold, but opting out was simple enough, and I hope that will be the end of it for me. Not really interested in dead tree format stories about long dead platforms. If it turns out to be amazeballs, I'm sure someone here will let me know.

• Like 1

Not quite yet ... only 932,925 views, as of this moment.

Eli just shared a subscriber update:

Hello! From the New Ownership Team!

==========

Hello!

This is Eli Galindo, and I just wanted to reach out to the full list of subscribers,

backers, members, etc of the Magazine to give you a quick update of what is

happening.

First off, we are slowly building relationships with new and previous writers. As I

have told every one of them, the new RETRO Magazine will be very open to any

professional writer that wants to come in and pitch articles of topics that they are

passionate about (within the Retro Gaming spectrum). I hope that this way it will

not feel like a shore, or topics will not be forced to writers and they would enjoy

writing for the Magazine.

Second, the main concern of buying the magazine assets was all the people that were

left hanging with pending subscriptions or issues when the business went burst. So

we have been working on ways and coming up with ideas to do right by them. We've

been talking with about 300 subscribers that have 1 issue pending to take care

first, then we will move up to about 750 subscribers that have 2 or more issues

left. We got a pallet full of back issues that some of these subscribers don't have

so we'll be offering these plus other goodies.

Once all or most of the pending subscribers are taken care of, the Website and may

be a patreon campaign will be open; here we will only charge you when a new issue is

ready to print (digital version 100% ready) this way we do not commit the mistakes

of the past. We would need a minimum of 1000 subs to make a physical print run.

We will re-launch the campaign with issue 13th which will be the last themed issue

there will ever be due that we have to honor some dealings with some third parties.

After this issue is available (digital only) we will stop doing themed issues,

increase the amount of content pages to 100+ and reduce the magazine issues from

quarterly to bi-yearly. This will ensure the magazine has the best content under the

Retro Gaming spectrum and not so much filler content.

At the moment I am a bit busy finishing up the Iron Commando IndieGogo (

http://sable.madmimi.com/c/48854?id=62158.253.1.0e8e7a5ce666be157a36de955336abbe )

campaign and working on the new Wisdom Tree Kickstarter (Shameless plug, check it

out if you are interested in new NES games or Sega Genesis games!) (

http://sable.madmimi.com/c/48854?id=62158.254.1.d4c2bb929b2dda995cfa37a9c7307f17).

But we'll be shipping out all the pending subs issues in the next few weeks and

working on the Issue 13th to have a release date of the last week of October.

Is you have any comments or questions, please let me know, I try to answer emails as

soon as possible.

**Kind regards,**

**The New RETRO Magazine Team**

So, to summarize: he's (re)building relationships with writers, working to do right by previous subscribers who were left hanging by Mike, and emphasizing quality over quantity (by increasing the page count while moving from a quarterly to a bi-yearly schedule). Not a bad start.

Yeah, despite some of what Eli has said here and his relationship with AA, that SOUNDS all good. It will be left to see if he can deliver, of course, but the guy has a pretty good track record so I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

have told every one of them,

Bogus, I made a quick call to some of the past writers I know and none of them have had any contact. He may have contacted some but not every one of them....

Bogus, I made a quick call to some of the past writers I know and none of them have had any contact. He may have contacted some but not every one of them....

That quote is ambiguous, and hopefully Eli can clarify it for us, but I read it as saying "as I told every one of the previous writers that I contacted ...", not "I contacted every previous writer and told them ..."

There have been several claims from that camp that the writers are coming back, but all the writers I have talked to have not been contacted. I have been a big fan of Eli's past work, and did our best to clear his name during the Chameleon debacle by having him on RetroGaming Roundup and letting him talk. Sure, I have a problem with him putting money into MK's pocket when he should have never profited from his scams, but I can't help notice when stories don't match.

• Like 3

I didn't read it as him saying he contacted all of the former writers. This is how I saw it:

have told every one of [the writers I was able to contact] ...

Sure, I have a problem with him putting money into MK's pocket when he should have never profited from his scams ...

Yeah, that was disappointing and probably not as noble of an act as he convinced himself. Wouldn't surprise me to find out the money went straight to moving expenses instead of paying off RVGS/Chameleon subcontractors.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves

I got two messages (one was from Kickstarter, one was from when they changed distribution platforms), even though I was unsubscribed from both. I wasn't thrilled to have my contact information sold, but opting out was simple enough, and I hope that will be the end of it for me. Not really interested in dead tree format stories about long dead platforms. If it turns out to be amazeballs, I'm sure someone here will let me know.

Yea, I got an email update about this too, despite the fact that I was never a subscriber and had never signed up to their mailing list...