IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Those circular holes in the plexiglass look a tad on the small side to allow for the hardwired controllers to pass through...

It might just be the perspective, but that controller on the table is pretty close to the plexiglass.

attachicon.gif01.jpgattachicon.gif02.jpg

:lol:

Seriously, though, that would be such an unnecessary thing for him to lie about that surely it must be perspective.

Well, unless he was afraid someone would ask to see the prototype controller working with the Chameleon, I guess.

• Like 1

Whoops, we missed the big announcement for tier 4:

Kickstarter Reward #4 $185: PLATFORM LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game + your choice of either Piko Interactive's Dorke & Ymp OR Collectorvision's Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death. Note, like the RPG Lovers Retail Bundle already mentioned, this comes with both the pack-in game (yet to reveal) AND the additional platforming game of your choice.

All games purchased as a part of this Kickstarter campaign will come in an exclusive campaign only cartridge color never to be produced again.

Look for the next Kickstarter Reward tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM PT, 10:00 AM ET.

• Like 1

Actually, I do believe they are re-tooling the controller and you can already see evidence of it. But it's not Mike & Co. doing the re-tooling, it's the Chinese factory.

How do you know that they didn't just drill a hole and stuff an old USB cable in there? That old damaged USB cable looks a bit ropey for even prototype work from a professional company, and we have no guarantee that it is even functional. The cable seems to come out of the middle of that small black panel which is still on the top of the controller, has a cut somewhere along it, and has some damage where it enters the controller. There's also a cut on the left thumbstick which doesn't look like a manufacturing error to me.

• Like 1

honestly the kevtris console is about as ultra niche as this thing (if it's made) will be. Neither serve any unique purpose, and are heavily redundant to what's readily available, not to mention a lot of money.

I think the difference is that kevtris seems to be aiming for niche with the Z3K while Mike seems to think that the Super Coleco Entertainment System is going to go mainstream enough to get a user base at a size that would give devs an incentive to produce proprietary carts for it. One is realistic while the other is not so much. I can think of unique purposes for the Z3K though.

Edited by Schizophretard
  • Like 1

honestly the kevtris console is about as ultra niche as this thing (if it's made) will be. Neither serve any unique purpose, and are heavily redundant to what's readily available, not to mention a lot of money.

I would not write the z3k off as 'heavily redundant'. He (kevtris) takes a careful approach and he makes sure the 'emulation' is as accurate as possible. Add the low-latency hdmi up-scaler, and you have a pretty unique system. Yep, the z3k is where my money goes to if it's available.

• Like 5

Those circular holes in the plexiglass look a tad on the small side to allow for the hardwired controllers to pass through...

It might just be the perspective, but that controller on the table is pretty close to the plexiglass.

How do they manage to put the console under there?

If the controllers don't fit through the holes, then it's possible that the case had to be opened to pass the connectors in and plug them in.

• Like 3

I would not write the z3k off as 'heavily redundant'. He (kevtris) takes a careful approach and he makes sure the 'emulation' is as accurate as possible. Add the low-latency hdmi up-scaler, and you have a pretty unique system. Yep, the z3k is where my money goes to if it's available.

Same here. To me it seems like it could be to consoles what a flash cart is to games with those consoles being heavily A/V modded.

• Like 1

The oddest thing is that he is claiming to have a SNES FPGA built within 5 month time-frame and its supposedly Emulates the SNES to around 100%

Why hasn't he given 3rd parties that do tech reviews copies, to prove such a claim???

FPGA is Emulation and isn't a magic bullet

Personally I would be more amazed if he did Sega Saturn or another system that doesn't have Strong Software Emulation available

I also believe that the Toy Fair so called CC was a mock-up with a Mini SNES and was Not a Prototype.

Starting to sound like a project Red Green would make on Handyman Corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkk-sOo8Hqw

• Like 1

I had a couple of translations returned to me- I told them nothing about the context, just gave them the tweets. Here they are with yours:

First Tweet: どっかの掲示板で「ヤツのSNES FPGAはフェイクか本物か賭けようぜ」ってなってる

T1: They say they have a SNES FPGA. Do you want to bet if it's real or fake?

T2: On some places bulletin board, it said: “Let’s bet whether his (the guy’s) SNES FPGA is fake or real"

T3: On a bulletin board somewhere I saw a line like "Let's have a bet on whether this guy's SNES FPGA is fake or real".

3 minutes later: その掲示板でColeco ChameleonにFPGAが使われててSNESもサポするみたいな感じで書かれてるみたいだけどどうなの(流し読み

T1: The Chameleon claims to have a SNES FPGA, do you believe it?

T2: On that bulletin board, it said: On Coleco Chameleon it used FPGA –it is written as if SNES also supports it; however, I wonder

T3: As they were saying FPGA was used in Coleco Chameleon on that board, I had the impression they were suggesting it also supported SNES, but who knows (read on the rumor mill).

So it really does sound like the person who has made the most complete SNES FPGA implementation that we know of is skeptical that the Coleco Chameleon has an FPGA.

Thanks for double checking, it appears that I did distort a little what was relayed to me, thankfully the overall meaning (incredulity and disbelief mainly) seems to stand.

I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself, I appreciate the verification work.

As always it pays to double check and err on the side of caution.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

Whoops, we missed the big announcement for tier 4:

Yeah, Mike's book of Marketing 101 should tell him that he needs to build a climax and not an anticlimax, maybe tomorrow there will be something exciting like a Coleco Chameleon "dennis the sausage dog" Edition (look it up, you can't make this stuff up).

On a Facebook post someone was asking them to get a little more of the reveal as he was interested in a 400-500US$ Tier .... oh boy. What can there be at that Tier?

Coleco Chameleon "Altera DE2-115 Development and Education Board Academic pricing aka the you-do-it" Edition, that would be something ;-)

Edited by phoenixdownita

Yeah, Mike's book of Marketing 101 should tell him that he needs to build a climax and not an anticlimax, maybe tomorrow there will be something exciting like a Coleco Chameleon "dennis the sausage dog" Edition (look it up, you can't make this stuff up).

On a Facebook post someone was asking them to get a little more of the reveal as he was interested in a 400-500US$ Tier .... oh boy. What can there be at that Tier?

Coleco Chameleon "Altera DE2-115 Academic aka the you-do-it" Edition, that would be something ;-)

One of the silly things to this is that in a recent FB response he mentions that people will be able to add carts to their KS order. So, in theory, one could order the Early Bird and order any cartridge he sees fit--including the one in the first Piko package.

• Like 2

Just a thought, if these guys were really smart, why didn't they license the ATARI brand instead of the Coleco brand... duh! Seems like a Jag2 would have been much more popular around here.

1) After the last year of mis-steps, changing directions, exaggerations, and what-seems-like downright fibbing, together with an overall air of ego-and-incompetence ... you have to be very generous to use the phrase "really smart" when referring to anything that these guys have done.

2) What makes you think that the owners of the Atari brand would even be interested in allowing their name to be associated with these guys?

3) OTOH, the Coleco brand's owners seem to be perfect matches for Mike's sympathies.

You may have missed this info from one of the earlier threads ...

http://www.paramuspost.com/article.php/20151116193122623

So the River West/Coleco guy that we actually saw on the Toy Fair video has only recently joined/bought-into the company, and has no history in video games except for being a massive toy collector and writing self-published guides on collecting GI Joe figures and NES games.

A match made-in-heaven!

Edited by elmer

"Kickstarter Reward #4 $185: PLATFORM LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game + your choice of either Piko Interactive's Dorke & Ymp OR Collectorvision's Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death. Note, like the RPG Lovers Retail Bundle already mentioned, this comes with both the pack-in game (yet to reveal) AND the additional platforming game of your choice."

Alright. This is implying that the pack-in will not be Sydney Hunter, Dorke & Ymp or Battle Brave Saga from the other bundle, as it would be pointless to choose between those if Sydney Hunter is indeed the pack-in as speculated earlier.

Dare we guess that the pack-in will be obe of the Coleco compilations? Now that would be very silly if that was the case as there is no ColecoVision controller yet and to my knowledge some of those games would not even be playable with their gamepad.

"Kickstarter Reward #4 $185: PLATFORM LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game + your choice of either Piko Interactive's Dorke & Ymp OR Collectorvision's Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death. Note, like the RPG Lovers Retail Bundle already mentioned, this comes with both the pack-in game (yet to reveal) AND the additional platforming game of your choice."

Alright. This is implying that the pack-in will not be Sydney Hunter, Dorke & Ymp or Battle Brave Saga from the other bundle, as it would be pointless to choose between those if Sydney Hunter is indeed the pack-in as speculated earlier.

Dare we guess that the pack-in will be obe of the Coleco compilations? Now that would be very silly if that was the case as there is no ColecoVision controller yet and to my knowledge some of those games would not even be playable with their gamepad.

Surprise! You get a bunch of Coleco games you can't play!

• Like 1

I also believe that the Toy Fair so called CC was a mock-up with a Mini SNES and was Not a Prototype.

I don't just believe it is but have seen enough evidence that I can make the claim that there is definitely an SNES in there. For someone to make the opposite claim or even being uncertain would be like seeing someone you know well but being unsure it is them just because they are wearing a set of clothes you never seen them in before and because someone made the claim,"That is not the person you know." without any evidence for their claim at all. That is all that is going on here. If I can put a Super NES Mini in a Jaguar shell and produce the exact same display that Mike has with the same results then it is obviously a "clothing change of a known person". The Super NES Mini is the only thing I know that can fit in those clothes with its arms, legs, head, and face showing, and there has never been anything presented that fits in those clothes while looking like the person I know. I don't need to have the shirt torn off to see the torso because I already see the person and enough evidence that it is that person. The only other explanation I can think of is that there really is a prototype in there but Mike went out of his way to carefully set up some kind of trick to make it appear that there is an SNES in there on purpose. But that would be a more extraordinary claim. The only thing that has even made us consider the possibility of there being a prototype in there is just that Mike said so but to believe that would be an act of blind faith because all he has shown is an SNES. If he said nothing at all about what was in there other than it is not a Jaguar and had a contest for people to guess what it is with the prize being $100,000,000 then only a fool would make a guess other than an SNES.

• Like 4

My friend who speaks fluent japanese said he couldn't make a better translation than the search engines. It was a bit rough the way it was worded, but, yeah, basically, lets see if it's real or fake FPGA core. Fake FPGA would be emulation software really.
He has not had any contact with them.

Thanks for double checking, it appears that I did distort a little what was relayed to me, thankfully the overall meaning (incredulity and disbelief mainly) seems to stand.

I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself, I appreciate the verification work.

As always it pays to double check and err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

Atari is not a defunct brand. It is a giant conglomerate of several merged companies.

Coleco the brand name is owned by River West Branding, a company that license it out to make money and try to regain some market visibility to brand it.
This venture may not do them anything positive. If they wanted to FUND this thing, that would be better.

If they funded this, then made it an open development eco system where they had to publish the carts (hey, I will allow them to make money) then this could work better. Then people would start creating FPGA cores for it, and those people could license those cores to others and or goto companies whos old stuff those cores run (again, I always cite older arcade hardware) and bring arcade perfect no latency control versions to market in a multi cart and they all make money.
IF this became something more organic like that, with less false promises, and came to market, that might make it all better.
It's a common thing. If you retool and reorder your priorities sometimes things work out without having to make major changes, but, presentation is everything. Mike has to accept that if he brings this to market, whatever is not as he presents it is going to come out in it's current form.

Just a thought, if these guys were really smart, why didn't they license the ATARI brand instead of the Coleco brand... duh! Seems like a Jag2 would have been much more popular around here.

• Like 1

How do they manage to put the console under there?

Now this is really interesting. Those openings are definitely too small for the controllers to pass through.

• Like 2

An the note of FPGA, I was looking at Terasic DE0-Nano-SoC:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=205&No=941

if the data adds up that's a nice little board:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=205&No=941&PartNo=2#section

Altera chip 5CSEMA4U23C6N:

dual core ARM A9 at 925Mhz + 40K LE FPGA (plus "Arduino header").

I can see it as a sweet spot to play with hybrid ARM SW emu + FPGA based simulation.

It does lack a proper modern GPU (no Mali or PowerVR cores here), but for the retro freak in me it seems at 100US$ it is a steal (on paper better than MiST and MCC216).

[note it does not have a proper video out as it is or joystick connectors]

Edited by phoenixdownita

You know what's missing from these "Kickstarter reward" announcements?

ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATES, like in every Kickstarter ever. They have to have them if they're asking for money. I guess we will find out next week, when they can no longer drip-drip-drip information and will need to show more of their plans.

Everyone should understand that these delivery estimates are just optimistic guesses, and are frequently very wrong. The first project I ever backed on that site, the WalDok, has yet to deliver anything, five years after collecting money from backers. The last update was 9 months ago. As a Patron of the Nerdly Arts, I've backed a large number of projects (1 active, 83 collected, 32 unsuccessful). As a result, I have become a lot more discerning about who and what will get my money. Excitement about the concept matters less than ability to execute. It's not enough to have a dream when you're asking for crowd money.

• Like 5