IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

But will the Coleco Chameleon Support this? I won't buyx it if it won't work with my chameleon.

No clue. I pointed it out to show that even USB controllers for these consoles wouldn't be something new the Super Coleco would add. However, it would make more sense for them to offer similar controller adapters(small enough to even include in cute cartridge cases with the games) instead of making entire controllers for all the consoles they want to emulate on an SNES.

Does the Coleco Chameleon have a working prototype and footage?

It appears they've only shown an already-existing SNES-mini in a Jaguar shell. You can find footage of that. I don't think anything else exists, besides the molds for the Jaguar console and Jaguar cart.

Does the Coleco Chameleon have a working prototype and footage?

But haven't you heard? The prototype was featured in engadget and shown at the world-famous new york toy fair.

Currently, it plays SNES roms with a very high level of perfection, and the case is already done--except the power button and that hole in the back.

When the project launches on kickstarter, we'll probably be treated to some full-board shots of a standard dev board. Or if it hasn't arrived in the mail yet, RGB converters with 'FPGA' written on the chips in whiteout. 'see, I told you I had an fpga in there and working--here it is on the table with its light on.'

How you do it, is you start out with a foundation of solid BS, then later on, you namedrop anybody who didn't call you on your BS as being 'on board' for extra legitimacy.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 6

But haven't you heard? It was featured in engadget and shown at the world-famous new york toy fair.

Currently, it plays SNES roms with a very high level of perfection, and the case is already done--except the power button and that hole in the back.

When the project launches on kickstarter, we'll probably be treated to some full-board shots of a standard dev board. Or if it hasn't arrived in the mail yet, RGB converters with 'FPGA' written on the chips in whiteout. 'see, I told you I had an fpga in there and working--here it is on the table with its light on.'

Nope, I only heard from friends but never bothered to point out the details. Anyways, thanks for some of the information, I managed to find a video on Youtube that showed them playing a SNES game on it. However, there's one thing I wonder. NES, SNES etc. game cartridges can get pretty expensive nowadays (depending on the game, obviously) and since we already have emulators and ROMs to play hard to find or exclusive to Japan titles for free, why bother buying this console? Or does this come with extras?

Edited by PiXL

Nope, I only heard from friends but never bothered to point out the details. Anyways, thanks for some of the information, I managed to find a video on Youtube that showed them playing a SNES game on it. However, there's one thing I wonder. NES, SNES etc. game cartridges can get pretty expensive nowadays (depending on the game, obviously) and since we already have emulators and ROMs to play hard to find or exclusive to Japan titles for free, why bother buying this console? Or does this come with extras?

Is my sarcasm sensor broken?

why bother buying this console?

Good question! :)

Wait for the Kickstarter to show up, read it carefully, and decide if this is worthwhile to you. Be wary of "giving" money to someone based on a dream (do research here on AA and elsewhere). Personally, based on the history of this non-product and the people involved, I won't participate in this particular Kickstarter, unless the product is 100% completed (it won't be) and ready to ship. If it's ever available sometime later, I'll decide then if it's worth spending money on.

• Like 1

Good question! icon_smile.gif

Wait for the Kickstarter to show up, read it carefully, and decide if this is worthwhile to you. Be wary of "giving" money to someone based on a dream (do research here on AA and elsewhere). Personally, based on the history of this non-product and the people involved, I won't participate in this particular Kickstarter, unless the product is 100% completed (it won't be) and ready to ship. If it's ever available sometime later, I'll decide then if it's worth spending money on.

Ah, so they haven't launched a Kickstarter yet. I did some more searching and many speculate that this could be a potential scam. What are your thoughts on that?

• Like 1

Ah, so they haven't launched a Kickstarter yet. I did some more searching and many speculate that this could be a potential scam. What are your thoughts on that?

Their website, retrovgs.com, has a link to their Facebook page. They provide some updates there.

I don't think it's an outright scam, but I don't trust them to deliver a decent product in a reasonable amount of time. The project so far has been a huge mess. They might end up with a great product some day, but I see no evidence of that at this point.

• Like 1

They only showed SNES games played, using SNES controllers and a proprietary Nintendo SNES video cable. If the cart port is lined up with the Jaguar, it sticks out about the same distance as we've seen from the Chameleon.

Pipercub is making his own prototype "replica" based off this idea, right down to the electrical tape. It's worth checking out the pictures: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-81?do=findComment&comment=3445957

• Like 1

How do we stay on the topic of speculating on hardware without discussing FPGA?

Easy. We pretend that that the Chameleon doesn't have an FPGA and that Mike is mistaken. Mike on the other hand likes to pretend that it does have an FPGA. What's really inside there is a matter of semantics.

It's best to think of it like a Schrodinger box -- it exists simultaneously in all states until someone opens up the Chameleon and the wavefront collapses as the insides are observed -- it'll be either a mini SNES or a dead cat.

I vote dead cat come friday.

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 9

Long time lurker - joined up because of this whole farce. :)

I'm finding MK's descent into desperation/madness quite fascinating - it's like the story of someone who had good intentions and lost touch with the reality around him.

I really think that he thinks having the shell of a console is 90% of the machine and that's where his dream started. It's nice to have dreams, but damn this takes the cake.

This whole SNES thing too is pathetic and I am certain he knocked that up himself. (really badly) If you gave me a week I reckon I could knock up something more believable with a Raspberry Pi. At least it would have USB ports and HDMI.

Hope I haven't given him any ideas. LOL

• Like 8

I'm still interpreting that to be another way of saying what I'm trying to say. When I imagine how an emulator works it is as if the ROM and emulator are combined together as if they're one program running and doing each task one at a time. For an example, lets say I'm running a game in Stella and it gets paused. I don't mean the game is paused but the entire emulator is froze in that moment like a screen shot. In that frozen state I don't imagine an entire emulated Atari 2600 there. I imagine it more like a frame in a video and then when it is running it is running many frames rapidly over and over in a loop that is happening so fast that it appears an entire Atari 2600 is there. An example of that if it was to occur with a real Atari 2600 would be like the console is flickering in and out of existence rapidly piece by piece but so fast that it appears there is a solid console I'm looking at. Does that make sense?

Then with an FPGA it sounds like even in a frozen state every part of an Atari would be accounted for because every chip, capacitor, resister, etc. are all running at the same time. It is kind of like the core is saying to the FPGA,"Be an entire Atari 2600 at every moment." and then when a ROM is running on it the ROM is the only thing running in this flickering one step at a time process while the FPGA is just being an entire Atari 2600 all through the process.

This may also help with how I'm imagining an FPGA to work. Before I ever heard of an FPGA I thought it would be cool if somehow someone fit every single retro console into one by having it all real hardware but any hardware that is the same for the consoles would only be used once and shared to not make this one console too huge with redundant parts. For an example, if an Atari 2600 and an NES had a capacitor in common then instead of including it twice it would only be included once. Then it would have multiple paths for circuits that could open and close kind of like a railroad so that it can turn on all the parts for an Atari when playing an Atari game that may also include NES parts but it turns off the NES parts that aren't in an Atari. I'm imaging an FPGA to be like that but instead of big parts they are microscopic parts and "railroads". When it needs to be an Atari it opens up all the "tracks" for an Atari while closing all the others with this staying opened and closed the whole time the game is running as if there is a really tiny Atari 2600 in there. Then that Atari can be reconfigured into an NES by opening and closing different "tracks". So, a core is running the hardware to be an entire console at every moment while a ROM is running on that entire console.

Am I getting more or less accurate in my understanding of the difference?

Maybe a little. But it's fun and mysterious to imagine the magic that happens. I won't spoil it for you anymore!