IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

I vaguely remember our thread on the OTON, a crowdfunded console which created new games on the fly using hopes and dreams. It netted about $1100 in flexible funding.

It's really weird to look at their indiegogo campaign, because I now realize that we knew *WAY* more about what they wanted an OTON to be made of than we know about the rvgs/chameleon.

the fauxtotype(?) looks considerably better too. And hell, 'have it make you all the new games you want' is actually a lot better selling point than 'collect all of our limited edition, vga-graded carts (*sold separately).'

yc3Y8dfm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I do hope there isn't a meltdown commencing.

I was kind of hoping this could end with a simple 'giving up' or even better the kickstarter homepage consisting of 'Atariage, you've been punk'd.'

Those are about the only slightly positive endings I can think up.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Does anyone have a list of features that were planned for the original deluxe "everything and the kitchen sink" "SVGS" version,
but are now deleted for the "we got rid of that crazy hardware guy so let's be reasonable" "Coleco Chameleon" version?

They still seem to be promising the world for this system, although some features (like cartridge slots) are now optional extras...

Just a random question:

Has there ever been a console that was this much of a trainwreck that had (nearing) 100 pages on the thread? Or for that matter, even a mainstream console debut with 100 pages on AA?

Yep the original RVGS at 199 pages.

Here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs

Edited by phoenixdownita

Does anyone have a list of features that were planned for the original deluxe "everything and the kitchen sink" "SVGS" version,

but are now deleted for the "we got rid of that crazy hardware guy so let's be reasonable" "Coleco Chameleon" version?

They still seem to be promising the world for this system, although some features (like cartridge slots) are now optional extras...

Yep the original RVGS IGG compaign.

Here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/

Edited by phoenixdownita

All of our games are 100% done, so that played a big part on allowing the games to be there (no cost on our end to develop them). But if we don't see minimum numbers this year (units per title), we won't come back with new titles.

We are not investing anything on the Chameleon other than our time. They will be paying for the carts

Here is some interesting quotes from Piko interview on Nintendoloveaffair

http://www.nintendoloveaffair.com/2016/02/peek-inside-piko-interactive.html

• Like 2

It's posts like this that make me mad I can only hit the "like" button once instead of three times.

Yeah, Nathan needs to spread that stuff out over multiple posts -- each one of those deserves it's own post with it's own likes. It's not like you are saving precious electrons and black electrical tape by economy sizing your posts, you know!

• Like 2

Just a random question:

Has there ever been a console that was this much of a trainwreck that had (nearing) 100 pages on the thread? Or for that matter, even a mainstream console debut with 100 pages on AA?

It's not a console, but there was a guy who was trying to sell wooden Atari cartridges. It only got up to 12 pages, though:

atariage.com/forums/topic/168337-skull-island-wood-case/

It went from happy fun times to refund promises on page 9 to torches and pitchforks by page 10.

That was the first time I remember seeing anything like that at AtariAge, but I could have missed something or forgotten about something that was even worse.

I don't know if the 7800 XM threads count since it was mostly health problems that kept delaying it for years.

• Like 1

1. @RETROVGS I helped on indiegogo before and want to get behind this but I am freaked out if you guys shoved a SNES in that shell >_>

0 retweets0 likes
    Retweet
    More
User Actions
Following
MiCaTqsp_bigger.jpgCOLECO Chameleon@RETROVGS

@prince_david that is untrue. Our software was running the games. We will prove a lot more on the Kickstarter page.

9:45 PM - 22 Feb 2016
0 retweets0 likes
Retweet
More

https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/701976252547096578

Edited by RupanIII

@

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/RETROVGSI helped on indiegogo before and want to get behind this but I am freaked out if you guys shoved a SNES in that shell >_></p>— prince_david (@prince_david) <a href= 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think you can hack the Matrix from here.

• Like 3

It's not a console, but there was a guy who was trying to sell wooden Atari cartridges. It only got up to 12 pages, though:

atariage.com/forums/topic/168337-skull-island-wood-case/

It went from happy fun times to refund promises on page 9 to torches and pitchforks by page 10.

That was the first time I remember seeing anything like that at AtariAge, but I could have missed something or forgotten about something that was even worse.

I don't know if the 7800 XM threads count since it was mostly health problems that kept delaying it for years.

Yes, but the difference is that Team Chameleon hasn't actually taken anyone's money... Yet... This could change depending on how the Kickstarter goes down...

Sooooo that's their SOFTWARE running those demos? So, now, they will claim and FPGA and ARM with EMULATOR now? HAHAHHA, it gets worse!!! It actually gets worse!!!!

1. @RETROVGS I helped on indiegogo before and want to get behind this but I am freaked out if you guys shoved a SNES in that shell >_>

0 retweets0 likes
    Retweet
    More
User Actions
Following
MiCaTqsp_bigger.jpgCOLECO Chameleon@RETROVGS

@prince_david that is untrue. Our software was running the games. We will prove a lot more on the Kickstarter page.

9:45 PM - 22 Feb 2016
0 retweets0 likes
Retweet
More

https://twitter.com/RETROVGS/status/701976252547096578

• Like 2