IGNORED

Atarivox 7800

Jinks

Ok I got an atarivox+ and tried it out. Found that it will go in on an angle and work unless you touch the atri will pop out. Definitely not made to fit into a 7800 without modification. Anyone have a solution played a game of dungeon stalker then it popped out. Tried propping the 7800 up etc.

Did my subscription run out? Oh to figure all this out now...:(

Edit spent 71 bucks canadian on a two year subscription. Problem solved.

Now to figure out the atarivox.

Just use a Sega Genesis extension cord to plug your AtariVox in.

Ebay I guess. Thanks.

Yup lots there for sale. About 20 bucks to get one with shipping. They should sell them as an add on to the atarivox for 7800 owners would be cheaper and easier for the end user.

There was a thread on this a little while back. Make sure you use Sega branded extension cables as some (all?) of the later styles will not fit the AtariVox! If you buy a generic extension cable, you may need to cut the ends of the plastic off on the cable end in order for the Vox to physically fit.

I thought I'd share some tips on setting up the AtariVox and mixing the audio, this is from Trebor, we talked about this months ago. He uses a Commodore 1702, which is also what Al uses at game shows, and he describes his setup in great detail below. Using the Sega Genesis extension cable works best, although the AtariVox will plug in to the 7800 directly if you put it right at the edge of a table.

Regarding, a C1702 and a Vox working together...That is my exact main setup. I additionally add a set of PC Speakers which both the console and the Vox feed to, which does provide an additional layer of complexity.

Nonetheless, the best way to handle it is through Y-split male/female adapter(s), a 1/8" to RCA adapter, in conjunction with the necessary (RCA) audio cables.

In this example we will presume just utilizing the C1702 with one/mono RCA audio input, without external speaker(s).

Let's start with the Vox. We need an easy way to control its volume level. This is what I utlilize: Koss VC20 Volume Control. It works nicely and provides the same output jack, a 1/8" female stereo.

We'll now convert that 1/8" female stereo jack to RCA with this: Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable.

If the Atari console is modded with left and right audio channels, to simplify things, let's get that down to one, which would be required anyhow for connection directly to the C1702, with this: RCA Mono Male to Two RCA Stereo Female Y-Cable. If he just has mono output from the console than of course the aforementioned is unnecessary.

Another RCA Mono Male to Two RCA Stereo Female Y-Cable would need to be utilized for the Vox side, which has since had converted its typical stereo 1/8 inch female to two RCA stereo male adapters.

So at this point, we're down to one male RCA from the console side, and one male RCA from the Vox side. We still need to get that down fitting into one input/mono jack on the C1702, and we do that with one final: RCA Mono Male to Two RCA Stereo Female Y-Cable.

At that point, you would be all set. You have the one RCA male jack plugging into the C1702 for sound. As mentioned earlier, to balance out the Vox sound with the console, you simply adjust the volume on the Koss VC20 Volume Control.

• Like 3

I know I sound like I'm the main marketing promoter for Luke, but check out this link here for extension cables for $4 plus shipping and I've never had a bad experience and get a bunch of stuff from here!

http://console5.com/store/atari-sega-commodore-6-3-6m-joystick-extension-cable-cord-by-retro-bit.html

Ok I got an atarivox+ and tried it out. Found that it will go in on an angle and work unless you touch the atri will pop out. Definitely not made to fit into a 7800 without modification. Anyone have a solution played a game of dungeon stalker then it popped out. Tried propping the 7800 up etc.

Did my subscription run out? Oh to figure all this out now... :(

Edit spent 71 bucks canadian on a two year subscription. Problem solved.

Now to figure out the atarivox.

Use one of these and you are golden .

post-30396-0-46503000-1451437696_thumb.jpg

post-30396-0-34222700-1451437708_thumb.jpg

post-30396-0-72769800-1451437736_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty much without an adapter it does not work on a 7800. The upper part touches the case. I did get it to work if you touch the console it pops out as fits on a 45 degree angle and the upper contacts barely make contact. I will buy an extension. Should have a 7800 option on the atarivox when buying it and add 5 or 10 bucks for a cable. Just a suggestion.

I run it into some jbl pc speakers it sounded good. Dont really want to use it till I get an adapter in case I screw ut up.

Should be up and running mid January if the mail is fast.

I know I sound like I'm the main marketing promoter for Luke, but check out this link here for extension cables for $4 plus shipping and I've never had a bad experience and get a bunch of stuff from here!

http://console5.com/store/atari-sega-commodore-6-3-6m-joystick-extension-cable-cord-by-retro-bit.html

Great site. I screwed up and ordered my coleco stuff after ordering my cable so another 8 bucks shippong. That woulda been a great sote to order all my coleco chips from. My ram chips are all soldered to the board now too late..:(

Great prices on the products tho.

Just go naked.

The AtariVox+ I mean!

Open the shell and that turtle fits the 7800 great!

No joy, however, on the Vectrex. Those ports are just recessed way back in there.

And large ended SEGA controller extension cords need the four corners filed down and some of the top, bottom and sides too.

If those are the correct ones you can just about get them for a buck a piece shipped and perhaps the problem would be solved for very cheap . :thumbsup:

That would have been the way to go. I paid 17USD(over 20 CAD)shipped for 2 cords. Shipping from china is always the cheapest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought 2 of these cables. They wont fit in the atarivox the extension cable is pointed ends and the avox is round.

Console5 was great to order from tho

• 5 years later...
24 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Old thread, but does anyone know where I can get an extension cable that will fit the AtariVox?  All the ones I see are the same kind that won't work with the Atarivox.

I use these with AV and my 7800

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0819PGQ1X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You won't be able to find a cable that fits exactly because of the difference between the styles of d9 connections used on consoles versus what can generally be bought these days. Just get a small penknife or file and scrape a bit of the plastic out of the extension cable socket to allow the AtariVox to fit.

55 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

You won't be able to find a cable that fits exactly because of the difference between the styles of d9 connections used on consoles versus what can generally be bought these days. Just get a small penknife or file and scrape a bit of the plastic out of the extension cable socket to allow the AtariVox to fit.

That's a good idea