IGNORED

Red Baron Flight Simulator and Tris

ssj

Be sure you have the one from TIGameshelf. The original disk was painfully slow to load because it used XB's CALL LOAD to load 8K of code to low memory. The gameshelf one uses a fast loader similar to systex to load those 8K. The manual is vital to understanding the game and that too is available on TIGameshelf.

• Like 1

Be sure you have the one from TIGameshelf. The original disk was painfully slow to load because it used XB's CALL LOAD to load 8K of code to low memory. The gameshelf one uses a fast loader similar to systex to load those 8K. The manual is vital to understanding the game and that too is available on TIGameshelf.

hrmmmm I have an original copy. Did not know about this.

IIRC, the fast loader was included on later versions of the disk, so you may have it already, OLD CS1. . .

Can't say about that, but my original from around '86 or '87 has the slow loader and some kind of protection scheme which I eliminated when I converted it to the fast loader. The original version takes several minutes to load plus the protection means you can't put it on a ramdisk.

BTW, SPAD 13 is much nicer when you have the 16 bit fast memory expansion. If you use a simulator, this is available on Win994a and works just like the real one.

• Like 1

Note, Red Baron was a cartridge based on the DBT 32K format, so it might not be as easy a dump as most cartridges are (and the dump programs are generally only designed to look for the first two ROM banks, so they won't get the whole cartridge).

Which means it will work just fine in a SuperSpace II.

I'll have to see if I can find mine to read the EPROM out directly--and the ROM should work on the Guidry boards (or the Black boards), IIRC. And yes, it will also work fine on a SuperSpace II. . .

If not, I am pretty sure the module dumper supplied with the SuperSpace can read mine. I will be happy to give it a try.

You might want to try that SuperSpace dump as our first resort, as it does not involve opening the cartridge. . .and if it fails, I then go the crack the cartridge open route to extract the EPROM.

Can do. Tonight is a no-go for festivities, but I shall attempt the task tomorrow during first intermission (Winter Classic.)

Thanks guys, would be very nice to have a dump of Red Baron.

While we are at comparing games, I have one more:

Micro Pinball vs Micro Pinball 2

Anyone knows the differences between these 2? Seems both versions got a disk release:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262185336406

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391345397948

What was the version released on cart was it v1 or v2?

On Micro Pinball,look at the number and placement of the bumpers. V1 has three and V2 has four. Other than that, the games are pretty much identical. I never looked to see which one was in the cart. . .although it was one of the first DBT cartridges I bought BITD (along with Spot Shot, which I still love to play a lot), Black Hole (fun), and Return to Parsec (which was a disappointment).

So I checked the rpk from the MAME set and it's v2, I find this curious because on the cart lists I always see it referenced as Micro Pinball only. Like here:

http://www.videogamehouse.net/rarity.txt

Then again naming on the TI has always been a bit chaotic like Jawbreaker II ingame title being only Jawbreaker. Since the cart was only released in 87 I suppose it makes sense that V2 has been released.

If you ever have the chance to test your cart I'd be interested to know, also curious to see what's written in the cart label is it only Micro Pinball?

Are there any dumps/rpks of these 2 games available? Have been searching for them and the best I could find was the rpk for Tris 2.

I actually have the dump of Red Baron. It was one of those CRU bank switched carts that we still need to adapt to the 378/379 method.

I also have a few more DataBiotics CRU bank switched ones that need fixed: Desktop Publisher, Beyond Word Writer, and StarGazer 1-3 (Combo cart).

Attached a zip for someone who feels like debugging and changing the bank switching around. :)

DBT Bankswitched.zip

Oh great thanks, let's hope someone will be willing to take a look at that.

Does anyone know if that dump will work on MESS/MAME? I see there's a PCB Type specifically for CRU banking carts, will give it a try later and see if I can get it running.

Thanks guys, would be very nice to have a dump of Red Baron.

While we are at comparing games, I have one more:

Micro Pinball vs Micro Pinball 2

Anyone knows the differences between these 2? Seems both versions got a disk release:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262185336406

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391345397948

What was the version released on cart was it v1 or v2?

I have 2 carts, both labelled "Micro-Pinball" (one of which has the latter-day DBT dot matrix label on the top of the cart rather than the end).

One contains Micro Pinball and the other contains Micro Pinball II. When I got them, I figured that the v2 was a burnt eprom put in a Micro Pinball labelled shell, but in opening them, I found the PCBs were both labelled « Databiotics ».

I've always wondered if maybe if DBT, near the end of their life (and money) simply distributed/sold the newer version without changing the designation on the labels. I don't think V2 was ever « officially » released on a cart (I could be wrong) , so that would explain how I ended up with one (albeit mislabelled).

Or I DID get ripped off for one of the carts, who knows. I would be interested to know if anyone else has a Micro-Pinball labelled shell which actually contains V2.

As far as the difference between the games, the shape of the table (not the layout, just the dimensions) had been altered ever-so-slightly (enhancing the physics of the game), more bumpers have been added to the top cluster, and a new set of roll-overs have been added to the top right side. I just wish (as I always do with this generation of video games) that facilities would have been included to save high scores out to disk or tape. Especially considering how many high score slots are provided until you unplug the cart.

Even a great Pinball simulation like this (I rate the physics/gameplay right up there with Dave's Midnight Magic and the Pinball Construction Kit) misses something without the ability to save your high score!

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 1

I have 2 carts, both labelled "Micro-Pinball" (one of which has the latter-day DBT dot matrix label on the top of the cart rather than the end).

One contains Micro Pinball and the other contains Micro Pinball II. When I got them, I figured that the v2 was a burnt eprom put in a Micro Pinball labelled shell, but in opening them, I found the PCBs were both labelled « Databiotics ».

I think they did that with their application programs too. You had Miniwriter I, II, III, and III+. You have WordWriter, Beyond Wordwriter, and possibly others.

I don't have MIniwriter dumped yet (it's also a bank switched strange animal, and you can't unsocket the EPROM to dump it.)