IGNORED

SMS Light Gun Doesn't Shoot Straight

coleconut

Couldn't find this topic by searching around here nor Googling-in-general but I have a Sega Master system and I have tried multiple light guns and multiple TV's and both Gangster Town and Safari Hunt and the behavior is consistent - it doesnt shoot straight. Which makes it almost impossible to put in your initials to even start a game of Gangster town then make any score. What is mostly consistent is that it shoots about 2 inches to the right of where you aim, but even that is not 100% true in all cases. Weird, eh?

You said multiple TVs, which TVs? Newer TV are digital internally and there is a bit of lag from analog composite or RF to the screen so the light gun doesn't light up correctly if it works at all.

If you tried those on older TVs more than 10 years old, then the gun you have is probably busted. Either the photo diode is crooked inside or the optic disk is crooked. NES light gun used magnifying glass like disc on the front tip, I can't remember if Sega used the mangifying glass or something else but there's probably something inside to keep dust and debris out of the barrel.

Turn of the century CRT TV's - a 2004 15 inch Electrohome and a 32 in. JVC. After trying 3 light guns, two TV's, two games, and both a SMS and SMS II with the exact same behavior, I come to the conclusion that my TV's are too new. I think I will try my circa '84 Commodore 1702 monitor next.

I had a light phaser with the same problem...

I could compensate with my aims and still play... sort of... it made shooting around the edges of the screen a bitch though and shooting the Grenade and Life Bottle in Rambo III IMPOSSIBLE.

I just junked it... one of these days I plan to get a new phaser... I don't blame the TV as it was a 90's model with a decent curve to it, not "Flat Screen" at all, no component hook-ups, nice and old... but that old Light Phaser HAD taken a beating since I had it!. Plus the TV works awesome with my Menacer so...

Edited by Torr