IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - January 1st 2016

Pixelboy

Salutations, ColecoVisioneers! :D

It wouldn't be the first Team Pixelboy News Bulletin of the year without me wishing you a Happy New Year, now would it? I do wish you all a good year, full of good health, good fortune and good games. Myself and the others guys associated to Team Pixelboy are going to do our best to deliver some great games this year, and with this news bulletin, I'm going to explain my plans for 2016.

COMING TO A COLECOVISION NEAR YOU IN FEBRUARY 2016

I really wanted to release several games on Christmas Day, like I do every year, but as most of you know, it just wasn't meant to happen this time around. The good news is that all the manuals are done and ready (except for the manual of Ghostbusters, but I'll get started on it soon) and so all I'm missing are the electronics for the cartridges. I'll be spending most of January glueing boxes and assembling carts, and then the games should start shipping in February.

As I write this, the few remaining bugs in Ghostbusters still haven't been fixed, so I cannot guarantee that the game will ship in February (but rest assured I'll keep nagging Eduardo about it) ;) . Gauntlet is also off the February lineup (see explaination below) but the other games (Super Pac-Man, Caos Begins, Majikazo, Knight Lore, Mappy, Rally-X, Mecha-9 and Operation Wolf) are good to go.

After examining the software of Gauntlet more closely, Eduardo Mello determined that the game was "practically unportable" to the ColecoVision, as the original MSX game requires 64K of RAM and contains self-modifying code. So he decided to back out of the project. I can't blame him, it really looked like a monster of a porting job, but the boxes and cart labels for this game are already printed, so I couldn't just let go without looking for some kind of alternate solution. Luckily, a few weeks later, I was introduced to a new guy who goes by the nickname of Dimmu, and he's apparently an expert at analyzing MSX software for porting purposes. Dimmu volunteered to have a serious look at Gauntlet and has set out to make it work on the ColecoVision. This will take some time, but in a few months, we'll know for sure if Gauntlet can be ported or not. For now, I'm simply going to push back the release date of the game to later this year.

Also to be "released" in February will be the Super Tank prototype carts. Carts #2, #3, #4 and #5 will be put under auction on eBay and all eBay earnings will be going to Mystery Man (except for a small percentage which I will keep for myself). Note that cart #1 has already been sold, as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :)

WHAT ABOUT KNIGHTMARE?

As many of you know, a software defect was recently identified in Knightmare which causes the game to crash and reset suddently, randomly and without warning. The cause of the problem wasn't precisely identified, but Eduardo Mello managed to create a new version of the software, which is currently being tested by a few friends. This new revision seems to be working perfectly so far, and after a few more days of testing on real hardware, we'll be able to put our stamp of approval on it. From that point on, I will want to organize a general recall of all Knightmare cartridges.

Some people have also experienced problems with certain other cartridges, more notably The Stone of Wisdom. From what I can see, these seems to be compatibility problems between "modern" cartridge PCBs and certain revisions of the ColecoVision motherboard, and many people do not experience any problem playing the games on their ColecoVision.

Over the next 24 hours or so, I will contact all the customers who bought Team Pixelboy games over the last six months, and I will ask them to quickily play-test all their recently-purchased cartridges, and let me know if they encounter any problems. The idea is that since many people who bought these games last year will also be purchasing games from the upcoming February lineup, I could include the replacement cartridge of Knightmare (and any other cartridge that needs to be replaced) in the package of new games shipped in February. That will save everyone some money in shipping fees, especially me. :)

THE LAST LINEUP

After the games of the February lineup will have been shipped, I will be working over the remainder of 2016 on the last lineup of Team Pixelboy games, which should be released in September or October, if all goes well. The games to be released at that time will be Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space, Secret of the Moai, C-So!, King & Balloon, Children of the Night, Wizard of Wor, Utopia, Jewel Panic and hopefully Gauntlet. If Ghostbusters is not ready for release in February, it will be released in September/October.

And after those last games will have been released, my dear friends, I will make my exit as publisher of homebrew ColecoVision games. I will stick around to sell games until all the demand is properly taken care of, but no new games will be developed under the Team Pixelboy label. All good things must come to an end, but I'll be going out with a nice "bang" of great games. :D

This concludes this Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We now return you to your regular forum activities. ;)

Happy New Year! :D

• Like 15

And after those last games will have been released, my dear friends, I will make my exit as publisher of homebrew ColecoVision games.

As excited as I am about all the releases, when I get to this point of the news bulletin there is a "sad panda" moment. Hearing that the end is near begs the question... all those talented people you are working with... where will they go to publish their games? Self publish? Work with one of the other homebrew publishers? Perhaps a new publisher will emerge to spiritually "pass the baton" so to speak?

I do hope that even though you may not be publishing past 2016, the crew you work with will still continue to make games in some way.

That being said, Happy New Year and congrats to many years of success and high quality games!

• Like 7

And after those last games will have been released, my dear friends, I will make my exit as publisher of homebrew ColecoVision games.

All good things must come to an end. Thanks for all you've done.

Edited by H.E.R.O.

After examining the software of Gauntlet more closely, Eduardo Mello determined that the game was "practically unportable" to the ColecoVision, as the original MSX game requires 64K of RAM and contains self-modifying code. So he decided to back out of the project. I can't blame him, it really looked like a monster of a porting job, but the boxes and cart labels for this game are already printed, so I couldn't just let go without looking for some kind of alternate solution. Luckily, a few weeks later, I was introduced to a new guy who goes by the nickname of Dimmu, and he's apparently an expert at analyzing MSX software for porting purposes. Dimmu volunteered to have a serious look at Gauntlet and has set out to make it work on the ColecoVision. This will take some time, but in a few months, we'll know for sure if Gauntlet can be ported or not. For now, I'm simply going to push back the release date of the game to later this year.

Happy new year Luc!

Concerning Gauntlet , why don't simply think to recode it from zero? I'm sure there is lot of talented people around able to do that. In addition it could improved a lot graphically for instance.

Or may be port it from another source ? i would say the zx spectrum version but as i'm pretty sure the msx version is already a port of the Msx version you could have the same issue.

Happy new year Luc!

Concerning Gauntlet , why don't simply think to recode it from zero? I'm sure there is lot of talented people around able to do that. In addition it could improved a lot graphically for instance.

Or may be port it from another source ? i would say the zx spectrum version but as i'm pretty sure the msx version is already a port of the Msx version you could have the same issue.

There was a plan to recode it from zero at one point, but the programmer who offered to do that withdrew his offer a short time later because of job-related opportunities. So when Dimmu came in an offered to work on the port, I just couldn't say no. :)

2016 is going to be a very impactful year for the ColecoVision, both with your list of amazing titles that I never thought I would see on the CV and sadly with Team Pixelboy closing its doors. It has been a long and successful journey with several amazing titles to be proud of!

Troy

• Like 3

Ahh man, I hate to hear news like this. :_(

There aren't many publishers for ColecoVision games,are there?

I know I'll be buying a mountain of games before you ride off into the sunset.

Youre work is greatly appreciated and we really hope you keep making the great games for this community.

The games coming sound great,thanks for all that you do. :thumbsup:

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

• 3 weeks later...
I'm very proud to share my box art for Team Pixelboy's release of Midway's Wizard of Wor.

Updating the characters of this 1980 arcade favorite turned out to be a big task which took a couple of weeks. All the characters were drawn and inked at a large size [11x17 or larger] to really include a lot of detail, and the full-size art is enormous.

At that link you can also check out the original pencil sketches and progression to show how the characters evolved to their final state.

Previously, I created new art for Team Pixelboy’s Colecovision port of the 1984 Rare game Knight Lore.

It's been nice to be part of Team Pixelboy's final year. A lot of good art by good artists has been commissioned for these games. I hope that's appreciated.

Edited by tygerbug
  • Like 6

I would like to take a moment to "officially" inform everyone that Ghostbusters has been pushed back to fall 2016. I don't want to release this game with bugs still present in the software.

So the new games to be released in February will be:

- Super Pac-Man

- Caos Begins

- Majikazo

- Knight Lore

- Mappy

- Rally-X

- Mecha-9

- Operation Wolf

• Like 2

I would like to take a moment to "officially" inform everyone that Ghostbusters has been pushed back to fall 2016. I don't want to release this game with bugs still present in the software.

- Super Pac-Man

- Caos Begins

- Majikazo

- Knight Lore

- Mappy

- Rally-X

- Mecha-9

- Operation Wolf

Oh, yea. I should get around to pre-order Caos Begin, Majikazo, and Mecha-9. All new homebrew games this time.

- Super Pac-Man

- Caos Begins

- Majikazo

- Knight Lore

- Mappy

- Rally-X

- Mecha-9

- Operation Wolf

First day of February? :grin:

- Super Pac-Man

- Caos Begins

- Majikazo

- Knight Lore

- Mappy

- Rally-X

- Mecha-9

- Operation Wolf

Fantastic line-up! I'm in for all of them!

• Like 1