IGNORED

Classic Game Room moving to Patreon

BillyHW

Update: The Patreon link is now up. Support if you wish, and if not, that's fine too.

https://www.patreon.com/ClassicGameRoom?ty=h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NyEFNiE3M

********************************************************************************************

Original Post:

Hey folks, Classic Game Room is going to be trying out Patreon as a source of funds to keep the channel going in at least some (reduced) form. If you like the show and are able, please consider contributing.

From what I gather YouTube changed their search algorithms and ad-revenue sharing model which caused the show's view count to plunge, necessitating the partial shutdown of operations. I'm sure it also didn't help that the channel was banned for a while when YouTube considered having a running Centipede cabinet far in the background of the video an unacceptable violation of copyright (they've since reconsidered and regained some of their sanity).

I like CGR more than any other review channel mostly because Mark seems like a regular decent guy and he really does review everything. CGR was the first as well, as far as I know.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 8

I've been watching cgr since the beginning. What little money he asks for a month is well worth it. And it really disturbs me that I'm the first reply. He's contributed so much to the classic collecting and review scene. He deserves more love. Hope this resolves his financial woes.

If I can spent 10 a month for Spotify, a few bucks for him for all he does is more than acceptable.

• Like 4

I don't think I will give Mark any Money, but he's amongst the best. Too bad he sucks at reviewing modern games. I hope he sticks with what he's good at.

I actually think it would be better if he Reviews less games. Maybe he can make some Money out of the Comic strips, art, something else... I do believe he'll make decent Money on Patreon.

Wish him the best. Quite underrated, but so many channels on YouTube are.

• Like 1

I remember watching the original CGR from 1999-2000. And then the revival in early 2008. Mark Bussler is one of my favorite game reviewers. He has a great personality, like his dry and sarcastic sense of humor, and just seems like a really cool dude. He is one of the guys that inspired me to collect games and consoles. He accurately mentions the pros and cons. It's a shame it didn't go as well lately on youtube I hope it becomes a success on Patreon and I wish nothing but the best for him.

• Like 3

I think you guys forget the part of the video where he states he's been desperately just trying to get enough videos to pay the bills out there, and would like to do less but more substantial content. Which seems to be what some here are wanting.

And no offense, but what is a couple bucks a month for all the entertainment you get? And he's dropping commercials from all his YouTube videos until he sees if this works or not.

I mean, no offense, but how is what he offers not worth the price of a cup of coffee a month? Surely all of us spend several times that a month on this hobby.

Hell I've spent over two hundred alone this week...

How bad off are you guys? Even when I was unemployed I still had Netflix and psn going.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 2

I think you guys forget the part of the video where he states he's been desperately just trying to get enough videos to pay the bills out there, and would like to do less but more substantial content. Which seems to be what some here are wanting.

And no offense, but what is a couple bucks a month for all the entertainment you get? And he's dropping commercials from all his YouTube videos until he sees if this works or not.

I mean, no offense, but how is what he offers not worth the price of a cup of coffee a month? Surely all of us spend several times that a month on this hobby.

How bad off are you guys? Even when I was unemployed I still had Netflix and psn going.

I wouldn't pay a dime to watch YouTube videos, even on classic gaming. There's a free wealth of knowledge out there. The people who are making livings in classic gaming videos aren't doing it any better than the dude who reviews something because he wants to, and at least I tend to believe those people's opinions. Nothing against this guy, I think I've seen a few of his videos, but they're just not needed. I notice a downward spiral on YouTube as content providers tend to do whatever they can to put something up every day instead of in one chunk just trying to get the ad revenue. And more power to them, but I'm not exactly on pins and needles waiting for their content, so I tend to watch less now than ever. Nothing against Patreon or anything like that, but I can't think of any channel that'd actually be worth putting money towards. AVGN would be the closest, but his good stuff is all in the past and he actually makes short films, in essence. I'm not paying anyone to see their video game review, unboxing videos, etc.

• Like 3

Hi Moto,

I wouldn't mind helping him out seeing that that he contribute to the community for many years, I can spare the dollars for this man seeing that I like his dry humor and knowledgeable videos that's worth watching over and over again!

Anthony...

• Like 1

Remember when people used to post videos at YouTube for free and got paid nothing?

Right? YouTube used to just be a fun, creative thing to do.

I've been watching CGR since 2008, but I don't do Patreon. I don't have an account for my channel (nor do I want one) and I don't support anyone else's.

Mark has plenty of revenue streams for his "brand". Mark's problem is that in the 8 or so years that his show has been on YouTube, he hasn't really evolved. He has well over 400,000 subscribers, yet his vides seem to get between 5,000 and 20,000 views each. That's bad math. I'm one of those subscribers and I can't remember the last time I watched one of his videos, because it's just gotten old. He has an awesome personality, and a shitload of skill and experience in video production, and it's time for him to re-think his approach to his channel. Single-game reviews just don't get clicks anymore.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who has an issue with directly soliciting people for money? I have no issue with someone having an ad play before their video starts. On YouTube the ads are either usually skippable, short and do not play before every video. That is how YouTube supports itself, and I have no problem with YouTube video contributors getting a small slice of the pie. Nor do I have a problem if people click on an Amazon affiliate link on a blog entry to buy something, Amazon, the buyer and I all make something tangible out of it.

When you ask people to donate on Patreon, you are essentially setting up a voluntary subscription service. You are asking strangers for money. I always feel that it is kind of demeaning. If you can make videos on YouTube, you should either be able to make a living or have the skills for another kind of job. Otherwise treat it as a hobby that gives you some extra coffee money.

I think it's called making money doing your job. If anyone has ever had to plan, film and edit a professional youtube video before, it IS time consuming. And if you're making videos nearly every day, that's a job.

I really don't like it when people try to define what a job is. Yes, Youtube is "free". So is IGN. So is Kotaku. So is Destructoid. But the reason why places like Destructoid have ad-free subscription models is because the ads don't pay the bills. Heck, AA ... this site we're all on... does the same thing!

Bottom line is, without those subscription models, those pieces of entertainment you watch religiously go away. Does it matter if he's on Youtube, or posting videos on his own player on his own site? Entertainment is entertainment, and Youtube has come very far from the "watch me do stuff in front of my webcam" that it started as. Now you have professionally produced content with cameras, lighting equipment, and time invested that people just didn't push forward when youtube was young.

I guess I'm a minority here. If people are willing to pay 60-120 (or more) a month for cable television, which in my eyes is far less valuable, I honestly don't see what's so offensive to pay a couple bucks a month (hell, even 1 dollar a month would be only 12 a year) for a Youtuber who produces quality content roughly once a day. MLB's subscription is 130 a year. IE: entertainment costs money.

And he's not even being greedy about it. But frankly, if he doesn't make enough to do this all the time, the content will go goodbye. Because just like with web ads, Youtube's profit sharing won't always pay the bills. He's not Pewdepie.. and honestly, thank god for that.

Sorry if I'm kinda taken aback by this, btw. Not trying to start a fight. I just can't believe that out of any place on the net, this is the place who doesn't appreciate classic gaming content done professionally.

To each their own. Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora, Youtube Red, ... that's ok. Paying a guy who make good content, "how dare he!". :roll:

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

Not trying to start a fight. I just can't believe that out of any place on the net, this is the place who doesn't appreciate classic gaming content done professionally.

I'm not looking for a fight or an argument or even a kerfuffle.

Bottom line is, without those subscription models, those pieces of entertainment you watch religiously go away.

The only thing I watch 'religiously' on YouTube is Bad Lip Reading. The only video game stuff I personally care about are gameplay videos that don't have talking or faces staring at the camera or 5 hour long intros. I haven't watched all of them, but it seems like many classic game review videos on YouTube are made by people who are too lazy to look at the manual or too lazy to spend a few minutes using a search engine before hitting the record button. "Um . . . I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. I think that's a monster of some kind. Damn! It killed me. I hate this game! I give it an F!" Not saying this guy's videos are like that, but I'm still not interested. Why do I need a review when I can load a game into an emulator and 'review' it myself by playing it?

I pretty much stopped watching any classic reviews when it seemed like most of the regulars at AtariAge could tell you more than the average fumbling/bumbling YouTube video clown who rattles off a bunch of ignorant nonsense and dares to call it a professional review video.

Heck, AA ... this site we're all on... does the same thing!

There's a big difference between a guy wanting people to pay to look at his videos and AtariAge that provides forums where people can buy and sell things and communicate with each other in public or using personal messages. A far more important service than review videos about games that most people around here probably know more about than the guys making the videos.

To each their own. Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora, Youtube Red, ... that's ok. Paying a guy who make good content, "how dare he!". :roll:

Netflix and my Amazon Fire TV Stick have some professionally made TV shows and movies that I actually want to watch or listen to while I play games or try to make my own games.

• Like 2

I think it's called making money doing your job. If anyone has ever had to plan, film and edit a professional youtube video before, it IS time consuming. And if you're making videos nearly every day, that's a job.

I really don't like it when people try to define what a job is. Yes, Youtube is "free". So is IGN. So is Kotaku. So is Destructoid. But the reason why places like Destructoid have ad-free subscription models is because the ads don't pay the bills. Heck, AA ... this site we're all on... does the same thing!

Bottom line is, without those subscription models, those pieces of entertainment you watch religiously go away. Does it matter if he's on Youtube, or posting videos on his own player on his own site? Entertainment is entertainment, and Youtube has come very far from the "watch me do stuff in front of my webcam" that it started as. Now you have professionally produced content with cameras, lighting equipment, and time invested that people just didn't push forward when youtube was young.

I guess I'm a minority here. If people are willing to pay 60-120 (or more) a month for cable television, which in my eyes is far less valuable, I honestly don't see what's so offensive to pay a couple bucks a month (hell, even 1 dollar a month would be only 12 a year) for a Youtuber who produces quality content roughly once a day. MLB's subscription is 130 a year. IE: entertainment costs money.

And he's not even being greedy about it. But frankly, if he doesn't make enough to do this all the time, the content will go goodbye. Because just like with web ads, Youtube's profit sharing won't always pay the bills. He's not Pewdepie.. and honestly, thank god for that.

Sorry if I'm kinda taken aback by this, btw. Not trying to start a fight. I just can't believe that out of any place on the net, this is the place who doesn't appreciate classic gaming content done professionally.

Except for the fact that he's obviously not doing his job well enough or there is little demand for the content he's offering. I have nothing against Patreon or whatever, I'm not knocking any of the content providers, but the fact is these videos are meant to be watched for free. They're conversation starters, goofy niche shit, etc. Most people don't have enough money to just give someone dough so they can make videos on old games when other people are more than willing to do it for the love of the game. I can't argue against these videos taking time to make, but at the end of the day, people started watching these movies for free, they see themselves in these people, from AVGN to Classic Game Room. But when they start doing this for a living, the underdog mentality is kaput and they enter the realm of sink or swim - that's on them, not on us. I don't pretend for one second that these videos are anywhere near professionally done content.

The need for this type of "entertainment" is not essential. There's no need for someone to review a game in a 10 minute video when we can all fire up a game and figure out if we're gonna like it in that time or skim a review and get the gist of things. It kills 5 minutes while taking a shit is all YouTube videos do. I've heard the odd YouTuber I watch talk about revenue and entertainment and it's like they don't realize the only reason they're anywhere is because they're the free, niche alternative and 80 idiots on Patreon are giving them money to which they somehow now think they're legitimate and everyone should line up to pay to see them. I am not being a dick when I say that, but it's just the way it goes. Watching people pull games out their closets on YouTube is a dime a dozen.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who has an issue with directly soliciting people for money?

Nope. Maybe it's no big deal to the younger generation, but I find it pretty cringe-worthy. Don't ask me to pay for your hobby, or to pay you to sit at home making internet videos instead of going out and working a steady job.

If anyone has ever had to plan, film and edit a professional youtube video before, it IS time consuming. And if you're making videos nearly every day, that's a job.

First of all, my long-form retrospective episodes (like the launch videos) take at least 100 hours to make. Guess how many times I've asked anyone for money? YouTube is one of my hobbies, and I don't expect other people to pay for my hobbies. Continuing on with this line of thinking...

Except for the fact that he's obviously not doing his job well enough or there is little demand for the content he's offering.

Nail, meet head. As I said in my last post, he has over 400,000 subs and is struggling to get low 5-digit view counts. He needs to evolve. He still has the audience in that these people are still subbed, but he needs to do something new to get their attention. Look at how many subs Game Sack or The Videogame Historian have, and then look at their average views. WAY, WAY higher ratio of subs to views than CGR right now. The fact is that aside from changes of venue as he's moved his show's HQ, the show hasn't changed since 2008. In fact, I think he'd do better to go back to the format of the show in 1999/2000.

I'd also like to point out that with YouTube Red, content creators are being paid more money than we were when it was just ad revenue. Not saying that it's a lot of money, but the system clearly shows you what revenue came from ads, and what came from YouTube red, and it is a non-trivial percentage of my YouTube income. On top of ad revenue and YT Red revenue, Mark also has revenue from all of the merch that he sells. shirts, mugs, stickers, DVD sets, and now comic books.

MotoRacer, I don't know if you're some kind of superfan or a personal friend of Marks, but you are way too personally invested in this.

Edit: I just took my CPM rate for the last month and multiplied it by the number of views CGR has over the last month. Based on my rate, he would have made $6,329 in the last 28 days. And from what I understand, bigger channels get higher CPMs so I would consider that a low estimate. That doesn't take into account any income from merchandise. Cry me a river.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 2

I think he was doing fine before YouTube changed things. Screw them. I'll be giving him a few bucks a month. Heck, I can probably find a few under the cushions of my couch!

It's a lot of work to create these videos. It takes him several hours to play the game, record his video, record voice over, edit everything together then post.

All Hail Lord Karnage! :D

Edit: I just took my CPM rate for the last month and multiplied it by the number of views CGR has over the last month. Based on my rate, he would have made $6,329 in the last 28 days.

Divide $6,300 by at least 4 employees (Derek and the others.) Not to mention the amount it would cost for rent, electricity, etc. of his offices and the arcade. That's not very much.

• Like 1

Divide $6,300 by at least 4 employees (Derek and the others.) Not to mention the amount it would cost for rent, electricity, etc. of his offices and the arcade. That's not very much.

He needs an office to review games in those videos? I thought he just had a spare room or a basement or something.

Nope. Maybe it's no big deal to the younger generation, but I find it pretty cringe-worthy. Don't ask me to pay for your hobby, or to pay you to sit at home making internet videos instead of going out and working a steady job.

First of all, my long-form retrospective episodes (like the launch videos) take at least 100 hours to make. Guess how many times I've asked anyone for money? YouTube is one of my hobbies, and I don't expect other people to pay for my hobbies. Continuing on with this line of thinking...

Nail, meet head. As I said in my last post, he has over 400,000 subs and is struggling to get low 5-digit view counts. He needs to evolve. He still has the audience in that these people are still subbed, but he needs to do something new to get their attention. Look at how many subs Game Sack or The Videogame Historian have, and then look at their average views. WAY, WAY higher ratio of subs to views than CGR right now. The fact is that aside from changes of venue as he's moved his show's HQ, the show hasn't changed since 2008. In fact, I think he'd do better to go back to the format of the show in 1999/2000.

I'd also like to point out that with YouTube Red, content creators are being paid more money than we were when it was just ad revenue. Not saying that it's a lot of money, but the system clearly shows you what revenue came from ads, and what came from YouTube red, and it is a non-trivial percentage of my YouTube income. On top of ad revenue and YT Red revenue, Mark also has revenue from all of the merch that he sells. shirts, mugs, stickers, DVD sets, and now comic books.

MotoRacer, I don't know if you're some kind of superfan or a personal friend of Marks, but you are way too personally invested in this.

Edit: I just took my CPM rate for the last month and multiplied it by the number of views CGR has over the last month. Based on my rate, he would have made $6,329 in the last 28 days. And from what I understand, bigger channels get higher CPMs so I would consider that a low estimate. That doesn't take into account any income from merchandise. Cry me a river.

I would be hesitant to donate to these types of things for that very reason, I don't know how much money these people have in their pockets.

• Like 2

Guys, I just put this out there so people knew what was happening and could donate if they wanted to. Nobody is forcing anybody to donate anything. There's no need to start bashing the channel. If you watch the video in the OP, you'll see that it was fan suggestions to Mark that he try out Patreon. Patreon is kind of like Kickstarter with a subscription model. It's just another way of crowdfunding something. If you don't want to donate, the proper response is to say nothing.

I know there's a ton of video game review channels out there now, but as far as I know, they are all copycats of CGR. It's sad that CGR can't make it but the daily special olympics coverage that is PewDiePie keeps raking in the dough.

• Like 2

He needs an office to review games in those videos? I thought he just had a spare room or a basement or something.

I would be hesitant to donate to these types of things for that very reason, I don't know how much money these people have in their pockets.

You clearly don't know CGR very well. Don't blame you, but mark doesn't do Reviews from his Basement in 5 minutes.

He's also sone of the few youtubers out there that doesn't really make much in the way of concessions to his work. He makes the Videos he thinks he should, and if it gives him Money great. If it doesn't than he'll go and to something else. So when the Videos aren't giving him Money he decided to go do something else. I bet he got tons of Messages asking him to go on patreon because People want to give him Money so he can Keep making his Videos.

I am a patreon of Gamer's Nexus. I have 0 Problem giving them Money, because I want them to Keep their Content as it is, and with YouTube Revenue and Website clicks it's impossible,

I don't like CGR enough to give Mark my Money, but I don't see a reason why People who want the Show to go on shoudn't.

If enough People donate Mark will Keep going. If not enough People donate it will end. I won't care that much either way.

I just want to say some People think pareon is some sorta e-begging junk and if you take Money like that you#re just some incompetent jerk. Well, when you buy a cellphone, or pay a doctor's appointment, you have no idea what the Profit margins are. You don#t now if your doctor spends all the Money on whores and drogs, or if he donates to charity. What you should as is: Is it worth my Money? Can I get better for less?

I know it's a strange monetizing method. But we do live in strange times, and Internet Money is weird. Patreon is a WAY better model than ad Revenue, because ad Revenue hurts Content. Patreon affects Content in a positive way.

Peace out and my respects to Mark. so many years on YouTube and he never fell into any Kind of Drama or political crap? That on itself is quite a feat.

edit:

"I know there's a ton of video game review channels out there now, but as far as I know, they are all copycats of CGR." wtf..

Edited by leods
  • Like 1

You clearly don't know CGR very well. Don't blame you, but mark doesn't do Reviews from his Basement in 5 minutes.

Well, he could have fooled me. I need to get on YouTube so I, too, can move my video games to an office. For some reason.

See, my issue isn't with Patreon, it's with nutty shit like having an office to do videos that consist of gameplay footage and maybe an item on a table.

• Like 2

I've been watching CGR for about 3 years now and my wife has been watching for the last 2 years. It's become part of our daily routine to watch the new CGR reviews over breakfast, and it's definitely worth a couple bucks a month to us to not have to lose that part of our everyday lives that we've become so accustomed to. We'll be contributing to Mark's Patreon for sure, and keeping our fingers crossed that Derek decides to do something similar. He was always the misses' favorite.

EDF! EDF! :D

• Like 1