IGNORED

Classic Game Room moving to Patreon

BillyHW

Yeah, it needs to be a full time gig. I really hope people keep donating. I know a lot of people here poo poo this whole thing, but without ad money coming in, he's paying for the studio/warehouse, electric, an editor, his pay, and (maybe?) undertow's.

I know many here don't care, but seriously it's one of the last shows in the gaming world out there with really high quality that isn't based on negativity, screaming, acting scared, acting like a mentally challenged person, etc. And that is more than accepting of 10 bucks a month for me, especially when I'm paying the same for Spotify, which I rarely use.

Anywho, great job Mark :).

Yeah, $10,000/month even seems a bit low to me when you start considering stuff like rent, utilities, taxes etc...and that stuff just keeps going up every year. I suspect he will still have to get some other sort of part-time job on the side to keep this going, regardless.

He's up to about $7500 now, but it's slowed down a bit. I do hope he makes it to the next level. He should mention the Patreon and post the link at the end of his new (and existing?) videos. Keep it a low key running drive. Nothing too in your face, just a "Remember to support me on Patreon, here's the link, see ya next time" at the end of every video. Hopefully ad revenue comes back up a bit too.

Are there any companies out there that would make sense as a sponsor, that he could plug in each video? You wouldn't want it to be a modern game company, so as not to taint the reviews, but what about some of the flashback makers, or the people who make the framemeister, or even that beer he likes.

I also agree about the retardedness on YouTube. I don't understand how some people get 1,000,000+ views. I do like AVGN, but CGR is a refreshing counterbalance to that. They complement each other. AVGN is about having fun reviewing bad games and being silly. CGR is about having fun and reviewing (mostly) good games and having a beer.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

I saw 'Classic Game Room - The Rise and Fall of the Internet's Greatest Video Game Review Show' on I think hulu the other night? Had me curious. I didn't watch it, just noted it was there. Immediately reminded me of this thread.

WOW. I didn't know it was such a big concern about CGR. A video was even done about it? Amazing!

Anthony...

WOW. I didn't know it was such a big concern about CGR. A video was even done about it? Amazing!

Anthony...

He made it himself. Basically, the original CGR was made while he and the co-host Dave were in film school together. Afterwards, he became a documentary filmmaker before re-launching the show in 2008. I believe that he made the documentary about the original CGR before he re-lauched the show. The documentary is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humor, bordering on a mockumentary, rather than being serious.

Yeah, $10,000/month even seems a bit low to me when you start considering stuff like rent, utilities, taxes etc...and that stuff just keeps going up every year.

Taxes, more than anything else, are going to really eat that up. I would guess that the Patreon money will come into his "Inecom" LLC as business income (along with ad revenue), so that he would only be paying tax on the profits. He probably pays himself a salary from the LLC, but that of course would get taxed as personal income. But yeah, $10k per month can get eaten up pretty quick. He's not getting rich off of YouTube. Personally I don't think he should have promised to remove ads from all of his future videos.

• Like 1

He made it himself. Basically, the original CGR was made while he and the co-host Dave were in film school together. Afterwards, he became a documentary filmmaker before re-launching the show in 2008. I believe that he made the documentary about the original CGR before he re-lauched the show. The documentary is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humor, bordering on a mockumentary, rather than being serious.

Taxes, more than anything else, are going to really eat that up. I would guess that the Patreon money will come into his "Inecom" LLC as business income (along with ad revenue), so that he would only be paying tax on the profits. He probably pays himself a salary from the LLC, but that of course would get taxed as personal income. But yeah, $10k per month can get eaten up pretty quick. He's not getting rich off of YouTube. Personally I don't think he should have promised to remove ads from all of his future videos.

No, I think he only promised to remove ads for the first 2 months or something. I don't care about the ads, I hope he leaves them in and take whatever income he can get to remain financially viable.

• Like 2

I don't care about the ads, I hope he leaves them in and take whatever income he can get to remain financially viable.

I agree. Patrons can come and go, but the revenue from YT ads will continue indefinitely, especially on content like his that isn't time-sensitive.

That's great information to know. Thank you Chris. Been watching Classic Gaming Quarterly as always and enjoying your Sega Saturn launch upload on YouTube a lot lately!

Anthony...

• Like 1

All these dudes getting on hipster welfare better have a plan for when patreon gets shut down as a money laundering platform.

Yeaaah, Mark isn't a hipster, bud. And it's not welfare, he's working for money. According to the dictionary, that's what's called a "job". I think the word might originate from France or something... never heard or it /s.

In fact, if I envisioned in my head the polar opposite of a hipster, I think I'd imagine beardless-Mark standing there playing his Vectrex next to his Centipede cab, gulping down beer.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

Yeah, $10,000/month even seems a bit low to me when you start considering stuff like rent, utilities, taxes etc...and that stuff just keeps going up every year. I suspect he will still have to get some other sort of part-time job on the side to keep this going, regardless.

He's up to about $7500 now, but it's slowed down a bit. I do hope he makes it to the next level. He should mention the Patreon and post the link at the end of his new (and existing?) videos. Keep it a low key running drive. Nothing too in your face, just a "Remember to support me on Patreon, here's the link, see ya next time" at the end of every video. Hopefully ad revenue comes back up a bit too.

Are there any companies out there that would make sense as a sponsor, that he could plug in each video? You wouldn't want it to be a modern game company, so as not to taint the reviews, but what about some of the flashback makers, or the people who make the framemeister, or even that beer he likes.

I also agree about the retardedness on YouTube. I don't understand how some people get 1,000,000+ views. I do like AVGN, but CGR is a refreshing counterbalance to that. They complement each other. AVGN is about having fun reviewing bad games and being silly. CGR is about having fun and reviewing (mostly) good games and having a beer.

Let's just say you make 2700 a month each. 2700 times three, for three people, is 8100. That leaves a measly 1900 left for rent, electric, like you said taxes, medical (if he even has it), etc.

Basically I think what I'm trying to say is... he's not even going to be making 2700 a month. In all honestly, they'll probably make about 2 grand each (plus ad income after the first two months), which ..... I'm sorry is pretty bad pay. I don't think I could support my wife and I in our current place for 2 grand a month. In fact, thinking about it, no... not even close, haha.

It's actually pretty pathetic, to be honest. To have 140k+ subscribers, and you've just struggled to get 1k to lend you 5 bucks a month for your service. People are cheap :/

Edited by MotoRacer

It's actually pretty pathetic, to be honest. To have 140k+ subscribers, and you've just struggled to get 1k to lend you 5 bucks a month for your service. People are cheap :/

The big free TV channels in the USA don't pay their actors and personalities with money they beg from viewers. The money comes from advertisers. All viewers have to do is show up. If a show gets good ratings and it doesn't start to cost too much to produce, the actors or TV personalities will continue to get paid.

So I guess the stuff you guys are talking about is more like PBS and less like a free TV channel that gets money from advertising. I assume there won't be any ads, then.

Oh, I forgot about shows like Downtown Abby. PBS seems to have around 5 billion commercials at the beginning of the show, so I guess PBS is getting a ton of money from all kinds of companies while still asking viewers to give money. If begging for cash while having ads is OK with PBS viewers, I guess this Internet stuff is OK too. There is one more thing to remember, though. If you give 5 bucks to PBS, you're not just allowed to watch one show. You can watch anything on PBS.

I spelled it wrong on purpose.

I see nothing wrong with people donating to a channel if they wish. I just hope no one hopes they can make a living off of it. Hate for them to go to the unemployment office one day.

State employee: Reason for collecting unemployment benefits?

Youtube person: My Youtube channel failed

State employee: Get out of my office

Edited by BadHornet
  • Like 3

I see nothing wrong with people donating to a channel if they wish. I just hope no one hopes they can make a living off of it. Hate for them to go to the unemployment office one day.

State employee: Reason for collecting unemployment benefits?

Youtube person: My Youtube channel failed

State employee: Get out of my office

Why would they try? You can't collect unemployment benefits from being self employed. Youtube channel or owning a sandwhich shop... would be the same thing in the eyes of the government.

You can still tax exempt materials to do your show, and you still have to pay taxes. But no unemployment would be allowed, Youtube or not.

Why would they try? You can't collect unemployment benefits from being self employed. Youtube channel or owning a sandwhich shop... would be the same thing in the eyes of the government.

You can still tax exempt materials to do your show, and you still have to pay taxes. But no unemployment would be allowed, Youtube or not.

It was meant more as a joke........I seriously hope no one would consider that as a career (as I know one channel is just praying for.....not CGR)

To each his own though......I thought the Kardashians would have fallen on their face by now :)

Edited by BadHornet
  • Like 1

The big free TV channels in the USA don't pay their actors and personalities with money they beg from viewers. The money comes from advertisers. All viewers have to do is show up. If a show gets good ratings and it doesn't start to cost too much to produce, the actors or TV personalities will continue to get paid.

So I guess the stuff you guys are talking about is more like PBS and less like a free TV channel that gets money from advertising. I assume there won't be any ads, then.

Oh, I forgot about shows like Downtown Abby. PBS seems to have around 5 billion commercials at the beginning of the show, so I guess PBS is getting a ton of money from all kinds of companies while still asking viewers to give money. If begging for cash while having ads is OK with PBS viewers, I guess this Internet stuff is OK too. There is one more thing to remember, though. If you give 5 bucks to PBS, you're not just allowed to watch one show. You can watch anything on PBS.

I spelled it wrong on purpose.

Frankly, what you call it really isn't important. You are helping someone financially produce something you enjoy. Call it what you want, but ya know.. without people like me, it wouldn't exist. So if I have to "pay the cable bill" so you can watch it for free, I'm happy to. The ten bucks isn't that important to me. I'm comfortable enough in my life to be able to support project I gain from. Regardless of the label, that's all it is. :)

It was meant more as a joke........I seriously hope no one would consider that as a career (as I know one channel is just praying for.....not CGR)

To each his own though......

What is a career?

The dictionary defines it as "an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and with opportunities for progress."

He's done this for decades, and due to the popularity of the show, he's been able to do better from where he started. Sounds like a career.

Maybe the definition of a job is confusing? "a paid position of regular employment" Nope, no problem there. He is paid, either by viewers or Youtube for his position as an entertainer. Sounds like a job, too.

A wise job to get into? Hell no, I'll agree with you there. Then again, neither is any other entertainer career... actor, comedian... face it, less than 1% actually get serious work.

Personally? I went into something a lot safer. But they're all jobs. Some are just more conventional than others. You can also have a career as a mascot character for a football team. How... the hell do you even start that career, I don't know. But a job none the less.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

All these dudes getting on hipster welfare better have a plan for when patreon gets shut down as a money laundering platform.

Unfortunately other People are in the same boat. I guess everybody should have a plan B, specially if they work in a very specialized Job. Things just Change too damned fast.

But Mark is a youtuber who puts effort in, and has tons of skill he can use for a Job. Some other youtubers out there who only Play games and record their farts are the ones who actually should seriously worry about a plan b. A couple People on YouTube literally live of recording themselves playing Videogames. No editing, no Reviews, no informative Content at all. Just playing Videogames and cracking some jokes. If YouTube Fails they're done for.

It's an odd place to be that I very commonly see complaints against organizations like the RIAA and MPAA where consumers want to pay the artists or content creators directly for their work. Then we get something like patreon that I gather sort of does just that and I see all this very strange language used against content creators for using it. I'm not sure what is required to be viewed as legitimate but I'm certainly happy I'm not under this sort of scrutiny and criticism.

• Like 1