IGNORED

Super Pro Utopia?

intvdave

I played Utopia often enough as a youngster, but not since then. It is best played with two players and so a "player vs computer" mode would be great.

I've not played this game in so long that I don't even know what enhancements I was dreaming of from way back then.

What about if used with an ESC, then you can have a 4 person game, but I guess the islands would be too small at that point. And then you have two people vs two computers

I never played Utopia but have the code disasembled. The manual states one player mode is to score as much points as possible. I am going to guess some of you want a one player mode with the computer playing the second player. What other updates are needed for this game?

I've always thought that it would be nice to have various islands to choose from.

Is it too complicated? Or would it be too much work?

I'm not a programmer so I have no idea..

EDIT: and of course, it would be awesome to have it with the "1-player vs. computer" mode

Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 1

Pleeeeeeease do this one Dave! :) Yes, for starters a one player mode would be critical. Beyond that I'll have to revisit this game but certainly randomized islands if possible would be great. Also introducing new buildings, resources, ships would seem to make sense.

• Like 3

The single most important thing would be a 1-player mode with computer A.I.

With more maps, or randomly generated maps you'd have to be careful making sure the weather was equal between the two islands.

3 or 4-player brings up the possibility of alliances and stuff, but does the Intellivision have a multitap? Weren't the original 2 controllers hardwired in? So I'm not sure if that's realistic or possible.

New building/resources/ships should not go beyond what the keypad is able to provide. 12 keys for options is already loads for the time period we are talking about here. Don't get too complicated.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 3

New building/resources/ships should not go beyond what the keypad is able to provide. 12 keys for options is already loads for the time period we are talking about here. Don't get too complicated.

This AND this. Different maps would be cool and all, but good computer A.I. is what most of us are really going to be after. :love:

Unless the weather or school of fish patterns/frequency can be tinkered with a bit, wouldn't really monkey with too much else if it were up to me.

• Like 1

With more maps, or randomly generated maps you'd have to be careful making sure the weather was equal between the two islands.

3 or 4-player brings up the possibility of alliances and stuff, but does the Intellivision have a multitap? Weren't the original 2 controllers hardwired in? So I'm not sure if that's realistic or possible.

Just my thoughts.

The ECS would allow 4 controller gameplay (World Cup Soccer has this).

But a real single player mode and different islands would be a dream come true! Thanks a lot, David, for looking into it.

As others have said, having a true 1-player mode is the number one thing this game needs.

The computer opponent should be able to both attack my fishing boats with its PT boats and operate its own fishing boats. Occasionally, it should plant rebels on my island. And it should play intelligently, following the tips in the manual to earn points.

But in my opinion, having different islands to choose from would not be a significant enhancement.

Thanks for considering giving Utopia an update. Superpower Utopia, perhaps.

• Like 1

I'll also have to revisit the game. It seems that many of us have fond memories of playing with childhood friends, but now lack friends who can play :(

Not sure if this would help, but Joe has played this a lot and did a huge analysis of the weather.

Check these out:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198226-weather-bias-in-utopia/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229196-wishing-for-an-intellivision-game-refresh-utopia/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233297-utopia-thoughts/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197259-utopia-revealed/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/195833-utopia-the-game-that-caused-my-intellivision-addiction/

• Like 3

Thanks JasonlikesINTV. Those are some great links full of information. I will take those suggestions into account.

Glad to help. If I get time I'll try to play a bit, but I doubt I could suggest anything that hasn't or won't already get mentioned. Glad you're considering this one. I think you'll make a lot of people happy with a 1 player upgrade.

• Like 1

This would be awesome to have dave!

This was always my favorite 2 player game for the inty. And the 1 player mode alone was always pointless.

A player vs cpu would be just amazing!

I agree the next best thing to add would be new island patterns.

A 4 player option would be really cool but like others have mentioned maybe the screen would crowd.

Maybe a 3 player mode would work where either 2 players share an island and play against the computer.

Or if room could be made for 3 islands so 1 for each player and a third for the cpu.

I think the option for 2 players vs. The cpu would probably be the easiest to implement. And I know when I played with a friend we often would have "friendly" games where we would not destroy each others fishing boats or place rebels.

So a 2 player vs cpu would be similar to this :)

I would probably not change the building item choices as your already limited to spaces on the controller keypad.

I did always wish you could destroy pirates with your police boat. So that would be 1 other thing I could think to add. Probably would make it optional though and in that mode you may want to increase the frequency the pirates appear.

Anyway just my thoughts on 1 of my favorite childhood games.

Hope you do it! ;)

Loved Utopia. One of my favorites that received a lot of game play. I have played it recently with my son also. I agree that adding a cpu controlled character is most important. Reshaping the islands would also be great. I would rather keep it to two islands, or add three islands as an option. I would also like to see the weather come randomly from all directions instead of the NW to SE that it seems to take 80 percent of the time. My vote would be for keeping the items as is. I like them. Thanks for looking into it.

To me Utopia is two 1-player games being played simultaneously. There is very little interaction that can happen especially when you play friendly games like we always did.

How about having a 1-player mode with one big island; you could even have screen scrolling and make the island as big as you want. I think the game should be made more challenging. Intvnut did an excellent analysis, I might be wrong but there does not seem to be a population requirement to support factory productivity. How can you build factories without a supporting population. Make the game more of a challenge with the possibility of losing power and the game ending early. If you can stay in power for 50 rounds in the tweaked mode you get the "governor's award". Maybe have a classic mode and tweaked mode.

For fun, add a new type of disaster. I always got a kick out of Godzilla appearing in SimCity. It should be a rare event, but imagine Godzilla appearing (always preceded by an earthquake) in a random part of the sea; maybe smashing a fishing boat or pirate ship, and then making a path of destruction through the island.

• Like 1

Loved Utopia. One of my favorites that received a lot of game play. I have played it recently with my son also. I agree that adding a cpu controlled character is most important. Reshaping the islands would also be great. I would rather keep it to two islands, or add three islands as an option. I would also like to see the weather come randomly from all directions instead of the NW to SE that it seems to take 80 percent of the time. My vote would be for keeping the items as is. I like them. Thanks for looking into it.

Sir Jay, try out this version. The weather starts in random locations. Is that not how it is in real? Weather does not always start in the North Pole. The hurricanes needs more fine tuning but if we call them tornadoes and update the image then we are good.

Utopia.rom

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 1