IGNORED

HSC12 Round 22: The Great Return of the Penguins

[Other games that are similar to "The Great Return of the Penguins" are "Brundles" (Lemmings clones), "Whistler's Brother," "Gwobby's Adventure," "Gumball," "The Bean Machine," "Logistic" and "The Goonies"

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard of most of these before, but I've only really played "Gwobby's Adventure" (I had to try it, as it's programmed by TRBB!) and "The Goonies." I remember when "The Brundles" came out. It was around the time I had just been introduced to the Atari 8-Bit (in the early-to-mid 90s). "Lemmings" was one of my favorite Amiga games, and I really wanted to try "The Brundles," but I never have done that yet. I've always meant to try "Whistler's Brother" too. I've even already placed it onto one of my 1MB flashcarts. "Gumball" seemed more like work than a game. Maybe I didn't get it. Do I need to give this one another chance? I can't find anything about "Logistic." I'd be much more likely to play these games if they're included in next season's HSC.

did I miss any?

I showed "The Great Return of the Penguins" to my college-aged son last night. It reminded him of "Chu Chu Rocket," which I had not played before. He and I gave the GBA version of "Chu Chu Rocket" a quick whirl and I could see his point. There is a certain feel to both games that are similar-- but they are also quite different. I don't think that I would have noticed this similarity without my son pointing it out.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard of most of these before, but I've only really played "Gwobby's Adventure" (I had to try it, as it's programmed by TRBB!) and "The Goonies." I remember when "The Brundles" came out. It was around the time I had just been introduced to the Atari 8-Bit (in the early-to-mid 90s). "Lemmings" was one of my favorite Amiga games, and I really wanted to try "The Brundles," but I never have done that yet. I've always meant to try "Whistler's Brother" too. I've even already placed it onto one of my 1MB flashcarts. "Gumball" seemed more like work than a game. Maybe I didn't get it. Do I need to give this one another chance? I can't find anything about "Logistic." I'd be much more likely to play these games if they're included in next season's HSC.

Gumball is extremely good, one of my favourites. I'd hope all you HSC guys will support powersoft's Pro© magazine - it's a real paper magazine exclusively covering 8-bit Atari. You can pick up the back issues and the current issue 8 to save on postage. Logistix is reviewed in one of them. I'm only a contributor but sometimes give HSC things a mention so lookout for your names ;) The pro© web site is proc-atari.de English and german versions of the site and the magazines!

Level 1: 327

The Great Return Of The Penguins

Latest Table

1st SKR (p) 2,659 (11) 12pts :thumbsup:

2nd trbb (p) 1,710 (9) 11pts

3rd jblenkle (n) 1,328 (4) 10pts

4th McKong (p) 1,217 (4) 9pts

5th ballyalley (n) 256 (3) 8pts

6th roadrunner (n) 12 (1) 7pts

level 1 bonus challenge

1st SKR (p) 347 1pt

2nd trbb (p) 327

Reminder: This round and season 12 both end Sunday evening UK time (10pm) :)

Edited by therealbountybob

For me, this is one of those games I just can't quit playing...I keep saying, "OK, one more game then I quit..."...and then three hours later...

Looks like this could be a competitive round!

Blew it again on level 9 - 1,890. Level 1 - 329 This is a really good game and that is backed up by people here being able to make progress after a few goes :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've gotten a few higher scores now. In my last game the screen turned to weird colors and I couldn't make-out what was happening (I couldn't see the penguins), so I died. Still, it was my highest scored game thus far:

Great Return of the Penguin's, The - 612 (NTSC, 130XE)

post-4925-0-54658400-1452374404_thumb.jpg

Check out my above screenshot. What's wrong with the colors-- does this happen on PAL machines? Is there a way to avoid this? Is the game crashing?

In the mid-to-late 90s, my friend and I had a newsletter called "Orphaned Computers & Game Systems." My four-year old son (at my request) reviewed a penguin game called "Antarctic Adventure." If you haven't played that penguin game, then you should give it a try... although it wasn't released for the Atari. Also, in the same article my son reviewed "Beamrider" (he played the Colecovision versions of both games). Check it out:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/ocgs/issue8/dominic.html

I can't think of other games for the Atari that feature a penguin except for "Pengo." Am I overlooking any games that have these silly-suited characters?

• Like 1

I just completed the 16 levels and I mean just :-o sorry jb ;-)

I was wondering if the game would end and the answer is...

post-19705-0-27964400-1452430861_thumb.jpg

my best level 1 score was 357

post-19705-0-50717100-1452430854_thumb.jpg

Great game and still 9 hours to go HSCers :)

I can't think of other games for the Atari that feature a penguin except for "Pengo." Am I overlooking any games that have these silly-suited characters?

I can think of a couple: the decent Pengon unsuprisingly a Pengo clone and the mind numbing platformer Winter Wally (this is one for the HSC punishment list!). Ice another Pengo clone might be penguins?!

In the mid-to-late 90s, my friend and I had a newsletter called "Orphaned Computers & Game Systems." My four-year old son (at my request) reviewed a penguin game called "Antarctic Adventure." If you haven't played that penguin game, then you should give it a try... although it wasn't released for the Atari. Also, in the same article my son reviewed "Beamrider" (he played the Colecovision versions of both games). Check it out:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/ocgs/issue8/dominic.html

Nice :thumbsup:

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

Congratulations! I'm impressed. It's a great feat to finish the game.

Thanks :thumbsup: it was very close as I only had 1 left on a few screens and had to wiggle the stick a few times under pressure! I like the game so much I've just sent in a review for a future issue of Pro© Magazine :)

I notice on fandal's site you have Penguin and Penguin goes to School from 2002, were these earlier versions? I'm looking forward to playing them and I might have another go on some of your other games too. :thumbsup:

Thanks :thumbsup: it was very close as I only had 1 left on a few screens and had to wiggle the stick a few times under pressure! I like the game so much I've just sent in a review for a future issue of Pro© Magazine :)

I notice on fandal's site you have Penguin and Penguin goes to School from 2002, were these earlier versions? I'm looking forward to playing them and I might have another go on some of your other games too. :thumbsup:

Thank you :-)
The game "Pingwinek" and "Pingwinek idzie do szkoly" is a very simple game written in Turbo-BASIC XL. Both games were written specially for my then 3-year old daughter. The game "Pingwinek idzie do szkoly" can be considered a prototype of the game "The Great Return of the Penguins". There is only one level.
(translated by Google translator)
  • Like 1