IGNORED

Super Ninja Controller pre-order

grips03

Hey, Grips...

If you're interested, we talked quite a bit about your controller in Episode 24 of The Intellivisionaries (during the News segment).

The episode was just published today.

Cheers!

Cool, I've made it to the big time. :)

Thanks guys.

• Like 2

I'm looking for some advice.

I use LTO cart shells for the controller PCBs. The Intv cart uses 2xAAA batteries. That means you need to open the cart shell when the batteries die. This works ok, but the Ninja sticker does not hold at the top part if you keep opening and replacing batteries. I could cut the label on this cart short, so it does not bend over the top.

Would this be ok?

Reason battery is not in the controller base is:

I can't use the super nice battery holder I use on the Intv 2 arcade controller as that is where the cartridges go in the Super Ninja Controller

I would rather not have the controller case opened and closed as the screw holes can wear out, LTO shells screws hole wear better and there are 4 of them for such a small shell

Looking at how far the cart sticks out, couldnt you use a aaa battery holder on the backside of the cart. Not sure what it looks like inside. Feel free to pm me a photo of the board and case if you want me to try to help you figure out a way to do this. You could also externally attach one of these to the bottom of the cart.

post-30773-0-98175100-1454294285_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69

Looking at how far the cart sticks out, couldnt you use a aaa battery holder on the backside of the cart. Not sure what it looks like inside. Feel free to pm me a photo of the board and case if you want me to try to help you figure out a way to do this. You could also externally attach one of these to the bttom of the cart.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

One thing I was thinking was to mill the back side of the cart, so one could access the battery without opening the cart.

Your right that piggy backing AAA battery holder with cover might fit too

The new Intv Ninja Controller PCB takes up about 1/2 space inside the LTO shell, in order to allow 2xAAA battery on the inside of the cart.

The current Intv pcb takes about 70% and allows for single AAA battery only.

One thing I was thinking was to mill the back side of the cart, so one could access the battery without opening the cart.

Your right that piggy backing AAA battery holder with cover might fit too

The new Intv Ninja Controller PCB takes up about 1/2 space inside the LTO shell, in order to allow 2xAAA battery on the inside of the cart.

The current Intv pcb takes about 70% and allows for single AAA battery only.

if you had a pcb that took most of the space, you could cut out a space to put this holder in then double side sticky foam this battery holder down to the board so i protrudes just enough to be able to slide the cover off Edited by pimpmaul69

if you had a pcb that took most of the space, you could cut out a space to put this holder in then double side sticky foam this battery holder down to the board so i protrudes just enough to be able to slide the cover off

ah, kind of recessed battery holder type idea. I like it, but just checked and due to hand grip indents on LTO shell won't fit

Our pleasure. Hope it generates some interest for you.

To answer some of the questions brought up in Episode 24.

There is nothing in the design that limits it to left hand joystick. When I sell the kit people should be able to install in pretty much any arcade controller, even ones with joysticks on the right hand side :)

Right now Intv and 5200 cart use a Xilinx CPLD - so they have firmware, the others just use the stock controller design in cartridge pcb form. Only exception is the MCC cart which uses a PIC. I have parts to make 3 MCC carts and that might be it for them. If I don't make any more MCC carts I'll just make dedicated NES, SNES, Saturn, PC-Engine, USB carts. MCC is nice because it supports so many consoles with a single cart.

Unfortunately I'll likely lose around 2K (dev costs) even after I sell the 20 I plan to make. There is really no way to recoup these costs with low volume. Not sure if other designers run into the same issues I do, but I lose most money via pcb re-spins, component selection and re-selection, trying to make the product easy to assemble and work on.

I'm glad you guys think the Super Ninja controller is good idea.

• Like 1

To answer some of the questions brought up in Episode 24.

There is nothing in the design that limits it to left hand joystick. When I sell the kit people should be able to install in pretty much any arcade controller, even ones with joysticks on the right hand side :)

Right now Intv and 5200 cart use a Xilinx CPLD - so they have firmware, the others just use the stock controller design in cartridge pcb form. Only exception is the MCC cart which uses a PIC. I have parts to make 3 MCC carts and that might be it for them. If I don't make any more MCC carts I'll just make dedicated NES, SNES, Saturn, PC-Engine, USB carts. MCC is nice because it supports so many consoles with a single cart.

Unfortunately I'll likely lose around 2K (dev costs) even after I sell the 20 I plan to make. There is really no way to recoup these costs with low volume. Not sure if other designers run into the same issues I do, but I lose most money via pcb re-spins, component selection and re-selection, trying to make the product easy to assemble and work on.

I'm glad you guys think the Super Ninja controller is good idea.

We'll talk more about this in episode 25. If there's anything additional you'd like us to mention send me a PM with the details (maybe contact info for those not on Atari Age, etc.).

Updated post 1 with the 2 DIY kits.

These kits should pretty much work in any arcade controller that fits the main pcb, 4.94x3.05 inches (125.43x77.42 mm)

Main pcb is designed to fit in the right hand side of the NeoGeoX and NeoGeo AES controller.

Super Ninja Controller kit:

Main PCB, edge card connector, db9 cable, power switch, 2 ties, 2 spacers, keypad, keypad pcb, internal wiring, db15 male to db9 female console cable, nuts / bolts

Ninja Controller kit:

Main PCB, edge card connector, db9 cable, power switch, 2 ties, 2 spacers, keypad, keypad pcb, internal wiring, nuts / bolts

grips03, in for conversion kits for my Coleco and Intv ones :)

conversion kits are now posted, see post 1.

Do you have a person who can cut the slot for the cartridge?

Looks close if trying to add SNC kit to Intv2 controller, see the battery hole cut out and compare to cartridge slot hole. See red areas.

Should be ok if you want to convert Colecovision arcade controller. However its sort of undoing a super great controller IMO.

post-27883-0-34254700-1454885637_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-39677200-1454886380_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Removed MCC cart from line up as I only can obtain parts for 3 carts. Perhaps I could provide pcb only and buyer could add MCC chip to the pcb.

Added dual port Commodore 64, this will have two db9 ports and perhaps switch to select between port1 and port2 = primary controller.

It may also have 3 buttons:

Button A = Fire2

Button B = Up

Button C = Fire1

If you have a preference on what the C64 cart should have let me know.

pcbs for controller cases are in. going to build 5 controllers this coming week, 3 controllers are still for sale.

Gen 1 carts are ready too. Still trying to see if I'm going to ship these. They work perfect, but more could done to prevent person from installing wrong cart, connecting to wrong console, and then powering on the console, and then pressing buttons to cause a short. To that end I'm building a test Gen2 cart with more protection built in.

Intv2/Sears cart will use 2xAAA battery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...