IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

Just want to give a shoutout to Opry because I used to LOVE the Black Bass/Blue Marlin series in my youth and I might have to give them another shot. I logged silly amounts of hours on all those games as a kid; used to go fishing as much as possible as a kid but when the weather sucked, that was the next best thing right?

I won't officially log it yet but I spent the last 2 hours playing the old SF2 games for SNES... played one game through of WW and a few of Super SF2. I forgot how great these games were, but... whoever programmed Sagat's hit boxes and priority on Super needs to take a Tiger Knee to the nether regions. If his recovery were a bit quicker on Tiger Shots I think we may have found the most overpowered fighting game character in history. Jeebus!

Managed to 1cc SSF2 on my first try with Ken tho, so I'm glad my skills aren't completely gone! Shotos 4 lief

• Like 2

I played a lot of games this week!!

Intellivision:

- Bowling: 40 Minutes

- Lady Bug: 15 Minutes

- Turbo: 15 Minutes

- Mouse Trap: 20 Minutes

- Carnival: 10 Minutes

- Zaxxon: 15 Minutes

Atari 2600:

- Pitfall 2 Lost Caverns: 45 Minutes

Sega Genesis:

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist: 30 Minutes

Magnavox Odyssey 2:

- K.C. Munchkin: 5 Minutes

- K.C.'s Krazy Chase: 5 Minutes

- Pick Axe Pete: 5 Minutes

- Blockout!/Breakdown!: 5 Minutes

Arcade/MAME:

- GORF: 20 Minutes

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 50 Minutes

- The Simpsons: 35 Minutes

- Donkey Kong: 25 Minutes

- Donkey Kong 2 Jumpman Returns: 10 Minutes

- Donkey Kong Jr.: 20 Minutes

- Donkey Kong 3: 10 Minutes

- Mario Bros.: 60 Minutes

- Task Force Harrier: 10 Minutes

- Night Driver: 15 Minutes

- Asteroids: 10 Minutes

- Missle Command: 10 Minutes

- Pac-Man: 15 Minutes

- Ms. Pac-Man: 10 Minutes

- Contra: 5 Minutes

- Haunted Castle: 5 Minutes

- Zaxxon: 15 Minutes

- Punch-Out!!: 15 Minutes

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Moon Patrol: 8 min

Open Sesame: 4 min

Pac Man: 90 min

Pitfall II – Lost Caverns: 28 min

Z-Tack: 6 min

NES

Little Nemo the Dream Master: 8 min

SNES

Donkey Kong Country 3: 10 min

Super Star Wars Empire strikes back: 7 min

Sega Mega Drive

Lion King: 5 min

Some variety for my standards. Pac Man and Pitfall 2 were the HSC games, the other 2600 games I played because I finally found some time to re-arrange my collection of loose carts. Those games had no labels, and I had to find out what the hell was actually on those carts by playing them. There are worse fates...

The rest of my playtime was spent testing new flea market finds. Price-wise, Super Star Wars was a steal (4 Euro in the box), considering for how much it goes these days. Gameplay-wise... not so much. I really have no idea why people tend to like the SNES Star Wars games. To me, they are among the worst LucasArts has ever put their name on.

• Like 5

Many platforms, small play times on each game:

C64:

Decathlon - 1 min.

Delta - 5 min.

Gyruss - 6 min.

MSX:

Knightmare - 2 min.

Salamander - 2 min.

PC DOS:

Stunts / 4D Sports - 55 min.

PlayStation:

Wipeout - 5 min.

Vectrex:

Mine Storm - 2 min.

ZX Spectrum:

H.A.R.D. - 6 min.

This variation was mainly the result of a miniature exhibition on Friday night, to accompany a symphonic concert with music from movies and video games, so we brought a selection of old hardware which was very popular with the audience, and generated a lot of discussions ranging from your first ZX-81 to how much a lot of Amiga 500 and games, or a NES with games are worth. I even got to learn about a possible stash of unopened Famicom consoles - not clones, real Nintendo - that may be hidden somewhere in the country since the late 1980's.

H.A.R.D. really makes up for its name. Mainly the difficulty lies in exceptionally stupid keyboard controls. Even though Speccy games are not known for having the best input controllers, this one took the cake. Use cursor keys or numeric keys 6 and 7 to rotate in four different directions. Press 8 to move in the current direction. Press 9 to enable some kind of force field, limited number of uses. Press 0 to shoot in the direction you are facing. It means you need to rotate first, then move or shoot. The first two or three minutes were spent just to get used to the controls. That the game was dull didn't make it any better...

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (February 22nd through 28th)...

Atari 2600:

Lock 'n' Chase - 7 min.

Mangia - 122 min. in 5 sessions

Nuts - 10 min.

I continued to play Mangia on the Atari 2600. But by Level 7, the game gets pretty hard... there's just not enough opportunity left to get rid of all the pasta you get served, so I didn't exceed 3000 points. There would be a way to stay in a lower level racking up points however, but I would consider that cheating or camping.

Then I tried Lock 'n' Chase which is a Pac-Man variant on the 2600. It's definitely better than Atari's own Pac Man (at least the enemies don't flicker), but it's too repetitive to be able to catch my attention for too long. Same thing goes for Nuts where, despite pretty good graphics, you just shoot at animals running back and forth on two levels (a bit similar to Carnival).

Other than that, I continued to disassemble and analyze the ROM of Mickey & Donald, but I'm struggling with the fact that this is a non-working game in MAME, and both the emulation and the disassembler are somewhat broken... the disassembler can't deal with two-byte instructions properly if the 2nd byte occurs before the 1st byte in the processor's LFSR order, so in that case you have to figure out what the 2nd byte is by yourself in order to find out where the jump or call is actually heading, or which memory byte actually gets targeted.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 5

Intellivision:

PBA BOwling - 40 min

Odyssey 2:

Dino Dash - 20 min

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega:

Afteroids - 30 min

Alien Destroyer - 30 min

1994: Ten Years After - 20 min

Canyon Bomber - 42 min

2088 - 16 min

20-20 Vision - 21 min

Cap`N Rescue - 30 min

Caveman - 40 min

Cavemania - 25 min

3D-Tanx - 15 min

A.T.A.C - 30 min

Ahhh!! - 23 min

Banger Management - 15 min

Cat Walk - 20 min

Cannibals from Outer Space - 15 min

Krazy Kong - 35 min

• Like 5

ONLY ATARI 7800:

1) Dig Dug - 23 minutes

2) Ghost's Revenge [hack of Pac-Man] - 35 minutes

3) Gobbler [hack of Pac-Man] - 36 minutes

4) Motor Psycho - 12 minutes

5) Pac-Man Collection - 282 minutes in several sessions

6) Rip-Off - 13 minutes

7) Space Duel - 88 minutes

8. Super Pac-Man - 110 minutes in several sessions

9) Tank Command - 10 minutes

10) Upside-Down Ms. Pac-Man [hack of Ms. Pac-Man] - 15 minutes

More and more score submissions at HighScore.com just to try to crack more worldwide trophies and win an Atari 7800 Console!

• Like 4

Intellivision:

Bowling (35 minutes)

Bump-N-Jump (15 minutes)

Burgertime (20 minutes)

Copter Command (480 minutes)

Frog Bog (40 minutes)

Frogger (20 minutes)

Shark! Shark! (60 minutes)

Snafu (200 minutes)

Super Pro Football (25 minutes)

NES:

Blue Marlin (30 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

TI Invaders (35 minutes)

A ton of Intellivision this week. We played the crap out of Copter Command for the high score competition. Many other games got some play time, but Copter Command and Snafu got the bulk of our attention.

My son is becoming quite the classic gamer... He might not get the highest scores, but he has the highest enthusiasm. :)

He loves Snafu... Wants to play 2 player Snafu all the time since I introduced him to it a few days ago.

Anyway, very good week this week. :)

• Like 6

The reign of the DS over my household continues! :lol:

ft2a9Pr.jpg

Ineligible

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Nintendo DS) - 115 minutes

Clubhouse Games (Nintendo DS) - 33 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS) - 147 minutes

Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) - 170 minutes

Ōkamiden (Nintendo DS) - 364 minutes

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 18 minutes

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Nintendo DS) - 74 minutes

Game Boy Color

Monopoly - 146 minutes

NES

Freedom Force - 16 minutes

Tetris - 54 minutes

Xevious - 8 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,145 minutes (19 hours 5 minutes) [224 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo DS: 903 minutes

Game Boy Color: 146 minutes

NES: 78 minutes

Android: 18 minutes

It was another really big week for the (unfortunately ineligible) Nintendo DS around my household this week. After months of playing my wife finally finished off The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass the other day, and along with doing another play through of Call of Duty: Black Ops I started in on the gorgeous, charming, and just all around wonderful Ōkamiden. The original Ōkami on the Wii is easily in my Top 5 all time favorite games, and definitely #1 in terms of story, so I had been greatly looking forward to playing through the DS sequel for a very long time now. After logging just over 6 hours in it so far I can safely say that the sequel lives up to the expectations set by it's predecessor very well and hasn't disappointed me in the slightest! At this point I'm probably no more than 1/4 of the way through the game, but as far as I'm concerned this game could go on forever and I'd have no complaints about it whatsoever. The level of complete adoration that I have for both Ōkami and it's DS sequel is just... just... well let's just say that it's not an easy thing to put into words. :lol:

In other gaming news, this week I also managed to complete and take 1st place in every track on every mode in Mario Kart DS and subsequently unlocked every hidden character and every kart available in the game. Now that Nintendo no longer supports the WiFi connection for original DS games I'm not sure how much more playtime I'm going to get out of Mario Kart DS, since I've unlocked all there is to unlock now and there's no longer any online multiplayer to be had, but I may still go back and play it a bit more every now and then. Lastly, when it comes to DS stuff, after completing The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass the misses started in on Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords this week. This looks to be another pretty long game, so I imagine it'll be showing up on our weekly "games played" list for quite sometime, but it does look really fun and it supports multiple profiles and save files on the same cartridge; so I maybe I'll give it a go too.

To round things out and give us some eligible playtime to post this week I also played 4 games of my old favorite Game Boy Color game, Monopoly, and the misses spent the better part of an hour attempting to neatly arrange falling blocks on our NES. Watching her play Tetris made me start itching to borrow her NES Advantage arcade stick to play Xevious and break out the NES Zapper for Freedom Force, so I managed to get in a little NES time there too. All things considered I think it was a pretty good week for gaming around here. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Atari 2600:

Video Olympics - 46 minutes

Game.com:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 15 minutes

Monopoly - 15 minutes

Mortal Kombat Trilogy - 15 minutes

Quiz Wiz - 15 minutes

Resident Evil 2 - 230 minutes

Scrabble - 60 minutes

Sega Genesis:

Decapattack - 50 minutes

Splatterhouse 2 - 78 minutes

Well, just Game.com really. The 2600 got some playtime with Video Olympics as I had nothing better to do. The Genesis was plugged in and I had a bunch of fun with Decapattack and Splatterhouse 2 - playing these go me a bit back into the thing, and I want to get some more games 'n stuff. Now onto the Game.com... well, Lost World was strange - you start with a driving segment, then go onto a side scrolling game where you look for eggs, and then have to defeat a dino to pass the stage. It's OK, but if I want a Jurassic Park game I'll go back to the SNES one that I used to play all the time. Monopoly was well, monopoly - nothing really to say. Mortal Kombat Trilogy played OK-ish, I like the N64 version better, as it's pretty much a really worn-down version of said N64 one. Quiz Wiz was trivia, nothing really special. For the stuff I did this week, I started with Resident Evil 2. This plays OK I guess...? I mean it's sure Resident Evil, but it's not by any means my favorite - I'd rather deal with the quick-time event mess known as 6, as at least it plays fine and I can see what's going on because my TV isn't a load of crap. And then there was Scrabble, which is just Scrabble. I messed around a bit with it, but it's nothing exciting.

So yeah, my week was just Game.com really. Nothing all that special, as none of the games were that enjoyable. Luckily I'm almost done, so I'm happy that I can move on to another system.

• Like 5

I hope I slide this in before the deadline!

SNES:

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior - ~180 Minutes

Street Fighter 2 Turbo: ~220 Minutes

Super Street Fighter 2: ~60 Minutes

Street Figher Alpha 2: ~90 Minutes

Final Fantasy 3(6): 97 Minutes

Sim City: 45 Minutes

Noticing a trend? In honor of SF5 coming out and me having no way to play it I decided to go back and explore the old SF games... I used to play the everloving hell out of them as a kid/teen but I've really fallen away from them recently. It was a lot of fun to actually just flip between versions and updates of them nearly instantly and really pay attention to all the differences in timing, priority, hit boxes, etc... seeing how playstyles and characters evolved, etc. Tons o fun!

Arc/Mame:

Ms. Pac Man: 30 Minutes

Galaga: 40 Minutes

Galaga 88: 15 Minutes

Frogger: 10 Minutes

Tapper: 20 Minutes

Had a little sit down with a friend and played up some old arcade goodness.

Edited by jfitzenr
  • Like 6

Nothing tracked for me this week, but I did play more than 9 hours of Golden Sun for GBA.

Now that is an awesome week of gaming! I'm really not a JRPG guy, I actually loathe the genre most of the time, but even I have to admit that Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 are some really amazing games. They're definitely my all time favorite RPGs and it makes me smile to hear that people are still enjoying them so many years after their release. :)

• Like 4

Now that is an awesome week of gaming! I'm really not a JRPG guy, I actually loathe the genre most of the time, but even I have to admit that Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2 are some really amazing games. They're definitely my all time favorite RPGs and it makes me smile to hear that people are still enjoying them so many years after their release. :)

Yeah, I was travelling, so I picked this up after playing it for about 10 hours earlier in the year. I don't really like JRPGs either, something about a bunch of kids saving the world over and over again lacks a degree of . . . . importance that I don't really find compelling, but I've still finished a small handfull in my time.

I genuinely like playing games that are highly reviewed just because I can recognize a good game even if it doesn't fit my genre preferences. As one of the greatest games for the GBA, I decided it was finally time to push through to the end of Golden Sun (not there yet though).

I still can't really make myself enjoy fighting games like @jfitzenr though. The last SF I tried was for X360, and I couldn't even beat the first guy. I got out an adapter and an arcade stick and everything. I just don't really have the patience for that genre. If I have to look up moves on the internet, and I still can only perform them on less than 50% of my attempts . . . I give up.

• Like 3

I was travelling...

Golden Sun was awesome! Never did play the sequel though... maybe that'll have to happen soon! JRPGs are one of my favs in general, but nothing beats them if you have the luxury of travelling and not being the one driving. I spent a few years on tour and grinded through just about every JRPG released before the ps2 era on my old hacked-up PSP :)

As for fighting games I was a kid during the fighting game glory days, the sorta... I dunno, second-wave of arcades being cool I guess you'd have to call it, and my older brother was really into them, so it just became natural. I've never really gotten particularly great at any though and never even tried to play competitively, that's just a whole different beast. I think the main reason I enjoyed them is because my brother was big in to them too, so whenever a new game or new iteration came out, I always had a constant opponent that had the same level of experience as I did and we'd learn the games and improve together. I haven't really gotten into a new fighting game in probably a decade, hence why I still play SF2 and Tekken 3!

However I do miss the 'glory days' of 90s arcade gaming. There was nothing like being a 12 year old and annihilating some of the scary OLDER KIDS to the tune of making them actually lose money... and nothing like waiting in line watching the hometown hero and waiting for your chance to see if you could be the one to finally dethrone him. Was a fun scene... I remember being about 14 and pissing off a grown-ass man so much after beating him about 8 times in a row at 3rd Strike that he tried to put his fist through the side of the cabinet. I'm pretty sure he must've broken his damned hand. And yes, I intentionally lost the next round and hustled my happy ass out of there!

Edited by jfitzenr
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 9, running from February 22 - 28. We logged 5261 minutes of eligible play, playing 114 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - 550

2. Copter Command (Intellivision) - 480

3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 282

4. Resident Evil 2 (Game.com) - 230

5. Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) - 220

6. Snafu (Intellivision) - 200

7. Street Fighter II (SNES) - 180

8. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 152

9. Monopoly (Game Boy Color) - 146

10. Mangia (Atari 2600) - 122

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - 550

2. Copter Command (Intellivision) - 480

3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 282

4. Snafu (Intellivision) - 200

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 152

6. Mangia (Atari 2600) - 122

7. Bowling [aka PBA Bowling] (Intellivision) - 115

8. Super Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 110

9. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 90

10. Space Duel (Atari 7800) - 88

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1060)

2. Intellivision (1050)

3. SNES (709)

4. Atari 7800 (624)

5. Arcade (455)

6. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (413)

7. Game.com (350)

8. Genesis (165)

9. Game Boy Color (146)

10. NES/Famicom (116)

Wow, a very close race between the Atari 2600 and Intellivision! A margin of less than 1% separates them, but in the end it's Pitfall II that wins the triple crown for the VCS, and also joins the 1000-minute club as member #203, with 1304 minutes logged so far.

The other new member of that club is Blue Marlin for NES, which may not have made the Top 10 this week but makes the all-time "Top 204" with a total to date of 1000 minutes on the nose.

The other notable event in Week 9 is the sheer number of games. I don't specifically track that statistic on an overall basis, but anytime it cracks 100 it's a big deal, so I'm guessing it's in the all-time Top 5 of largest numbers of games played in a week. Cool!

• Like 4