IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

@BurritoBeans: I beat Immercenary back in 2011 -- it was actually the first 3DO game I ever finished. It's cryptic and strange at first, but if you've ever played Spectre (aka Spectre VR), it's basically a FPS version of that game. Just build up your attributes until you get stronger, and reload if you get killed, and you'll eventually be strong enough to roam more freely and get a sense of the world.

It's not a masterpiece but I certainly enjoyed it, and there's a nice feature about the game somewhere on the net -- Hardcore Gaming 101, I think -- that does a good job of capturing the experimental, creative quality of the gameplay (not to mention the game's ability to render a big world with no load times!).

• Like 2

:)

Atari 2600
Cabbage Patch Kids - 5 minutes
Falldown - 10 minutes
Planet Patrol - 10 minutes
Road Runner - 5 minutes
Skiing - 5 minutes
Tapeworm - 10 minutes
Turmoil - 5 minutes
ColecoVision
Burgertime - 15 minutes
Defender - 10 minutes
Donkey Kong - 5 minutes
Fury - 5 minutes
NES
Burgertime - 10 minutes
Parasol Stars - 5 minutes
TI-99/4A
Alpiner - 10 minutes
Car Wars - 5 minutes
Minesweeper - 40 minutes
Munch Man - 20 minutes
Nonogram - 85 minutes
Restless II - 25 minutes
Slymoids - 5 minutes
Snake Plissken - 10 minutes
Turn It Down - 20 minutes
Arcades
Addams Family - 10 minutes
Crazy Climber - 5 minutes
Crush Roller - 10 minutes
Gorf - 15 minutes
Lady Bug - 10 minutes
Logic Pro - 10 minutes
Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 6

This is what I played the past week.

Atari 2600:

Crackpots: 10 Minutes

Word Zapper: 5 Minutes

Gorf: 5 Minutes

Intellivision:

Skiing: 5 Minutes

Sega Genesis:

Flicky: 10 Minutes

Mame/Arcade:

Mario Bros: 15 Minutes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 25 Minutes

TMNT Turtles In Time: 30 Minutes

• Like 5

C64:

The Boss Disc [Hack of The Boss/Soccer Boss] - 60 min.

Some 25-30 years ago, I used to play the football simulation The Boss a lot. However it was limited to saving games to tape, and had a few horrible bugs like suspended or injured players would get omitted at the time of game saves. I rewrote that routine to save up to 9 games to floppy disk, and at the same time expanded the game from 4 to 6 divisions, inserting new teams. I also added a handful more star trialist players, and may have made a few additional fixes. While the bulk of the game still is original, the number of subtile changes makes me categorize it as my own made hack.

I don't know if the re-release Soccer Boss was identical to the original release The Boss, or at least had some bugs resolved, but generally I think the two normally are grouped together.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week:

Atari 2600:

Mangia - 19 min.

Space rocks - 10 min.

This week I created a "bot" that plays Mangia automatically. It went over pretty well... the bot does better than I have ever done, at a score of over 4000 points. However, it seems that after a certain point there's no possibility of getting further in the game. The bot doesn't manage to make round 7 (out of 9). I then went to disassemble the code in order to find out how the timings really are and if this round is possible to beat at all... Well, it should be... but only barely. You can't get rid of the pasta at the rate it's being delivered by Mama in this round, so you would have to swallow at least 13 pastas yourself, which is 2/3 of the limit of 20. In Round 8, I figured you'd have to swallow 18 pastas, and in Round 9 it would even be 40, which is pretty much impossible to solve.

Other than that, I played a game of Space Rocks which is a pretty good conversion of Asteroids.

C64:
The Boss Disc [Hack of The Boss/Soccer Boss] - 60 min.
Some 25-30 years ago, I used to play the football simulation The Boss a lot. However it was limited to saving games to tape, and had a few horrible bugs like suspended or injured players would get omitted at the time of game saves. I rewrote that routine to save up to 9 games to floppy disk, and at the same time expanded the game from 4 to 6 divisions, inserting new teams. I also added a handful more star trialist players, and may have made a few additional fixes. While the bulk of the game still is original, the number of subtile changes makes me categorize it as my own made hack.

So have you released your hacked version somewhere?

• Like 5

ATARI 5200:

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom - 20 minutes

Meteorites - 8 minutes

Popeye - 8 minutes

Space Invaders - 8 minutes

With 111 cracked worldwide trophies until now on Atari 5200 / 7800 competition at HighScore.com, I'm the current leader.

My greatest opponents - Deteacher, S.BAZ and Kernzy - are on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place, respectively.

This competition will end on April 3rd, 2016. After this deadline, the winner will be announced.

My potential to win a composite modded Atari 7800 Prosystem Console is increasing more and more.

Check out the overall rankings for Atari 5200 / 7800 Worldwide Trophy Crackers.

post-24681-0-63056400-1458522488_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 4

We had the Texas Pinball Festival in Dallas, which is an incredible once a year event where many people bring Pinball and arcade games to a single convention hall.

Arcade Games

Choplifter 1 min This had a flight stick and pilot controls - sucked

Tron 2 min - Some dude behind me waiting for the next game then it got turned off before I could play again

Robotron 15 mins - This was on a twin stick multi-cade, so I gave it a few rounds

After Burner 27 mins - A full cab with flight stick and throttle. I played through to the end on free play and then some!

C64

Pinball Spectacular 170 mins - More weekly play of this classic. I managed to score over 80k

Untracked! Here are all the Pinball games I played

Star Trek Mirror Mod - This is a modification of the 1979 Star Trek pinball game (that isn't very fun). This one features new art and backglass designed after the famous episode "Mirror Mirror."

Apollo 13

Elektra

Black Knight

Freedom EM by Bally

2001 EM by Gottlieb

Flipper Parade EM by Gottlieb

Xenon

Star Wars Ep1

Fireball EM by Bally

Tomcat

High Speed

Top Score EM by Gottlieb

Avengers

A few collectors had some really nice EM machines at the festival which were beyond restored to the point of being almost perfect. I really had a lot of fun with these especially Flipper Parade and Freedom.

Ice Cold Beer 20 mins - Not a video game or a pinball machine really, but I thought I'd list it. It is an awesome game where you control the two endpoints of a horizontal metal bar. You are attempting to push a small ball into a series of marked holes along a vertical playfield. Perhaps the best "I'm buzzed, so I'll give it one more try" game ever created.

• Like 6

32X:

Star Wars Arcade - 19 minutes

3DO:

Phoenix 3 - 62 minutes

Total Eclipse - 40 minutes

Atari 2600:
Battlezone - 20 minutes

Atari Jaguar:

Tempest 2000 - 10 minutes

Arcade:

Space Gun - 90 minutes

Genesis:

Decapattack - 21 minutes

Sonic 3 - 40 minutes

Virtual Boy:
Mario Tennis - 35 minutes

Well, not a ton of time, but it was an exciting week for me. I started off with some 3DO, as I haven't played Phoenix 3 seriously for a while - I dunno, the platforming segments aren't the greatest but the space segments aren't too bad. I also played a bit of Total Eclipse, and that's a pretty fun shooter game. The 2600 got some playtime with Battlezone, it's always fun to me. The Genesis got some playtime, Sonic 3 and Decapattack, both of which are always fun games. The Raspberry Pi 3 came in, so I tried a 32X title - Star Wars Arcade - and it's pretty fun, so that brought my hopes up on the 32X as I still need to get some games for the 32X part of my Genesis. I also tried the Virtual Boy emulator with good ol' Mario Tennis - always an OK game, and it played fine compared to my actual copy, although my Wii U Pro Controller can't simulate two D-Pads. Finally, I played some Space Gun. This is an arcade cabinet that I like a good bit - it's a pretty fun rail shooter from Taito. This is also where my exciting part of the week comes from - I actually got to buy the cabinet. The owner of the arcade (Super cool guy) wanted to get rid of some of his less popular light gun games and just buy a MAME cabinet for light gun games, and Space Gun was one of the cabinets up for sale as maybe five or six other people than I actually put quarters into the thing. The choice was Space Gun for $250 and some repair costs ($50 in the end) or Zombie Raid ($300 flat) (Both ended up at $300 so good enough) as I wasn't the biggest fans of the other games, so I got Space Gun, paid for him to repair the stuff that needed fixing, and whenever it gets fixed up I should get a call - exciting stuff for me, as this will be my first full cabinet instead of just boards.

So yeah, fun week for me - I spent a bit of money, but I'm happy with my purchase and the rest of my games were cool stuff.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 4

My times for the week:

NES:
Milon's Secret Castle - 17 min.
Top Players' Tennis - 236 min.
Game Boy:
The Amazing Spider-Man - 127 min.
Shisenshou: Match Mania - 88 min.
SNES:
Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme - 2 min.
Watched the latest episode of Game Boy World, an extraordinarily negative review of The Amazing Spider-Man, and that made me curious to try it. Truth is, it's not remotely as bad as Mr. Parish claims, and is actually a perfectly reasonable action-platformer with a few annoyances and a complete failure of documentation (the manual gets the controls wrong, and the controls aren't exactly intuitive). He also claimed it was ridiculously hard, but given that I beat the game in just over 2 hours, I'd say I disagree.
I also spent some time with the game he's due to review after he comes back from hiatus, Shisenshou: Match Mania. I beat the first 10 rounds of this surprisingly addictive (and Japanese-exclusive) puzzler with ease, but in between I had the hubris to jump straight to Round 50, the game's last stage. That one turns out to be a real brain-melter, and I made a dozen attempts or so without really getting anywhere, so I'll wait until I get there legitimately.
Finally, I took an afternoon to finish "re-beating" Top Players' Tennis -- this time as Chris Evert -- and made another abortive attempt on Milon's Secret Castle, a game I really want to like but can't quite forgive for its nasty opening boss fight, perennially respawning enemies, and overly coy continue system.
  • Like 6

This week reminded me of three of the great and longstanding truths of video gaming:

1. Shooting things is fun!

2. Animal Crossing is terrible for your social life.

3. Collecting games is expensive.

o9FKzLw.jpg

Ineligible

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 455 minutes

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Nintendo DS) - 22 minutes

Clubhouse Games (Nintendo DS) - 54 minutes

Dementium: The Ward (Nintendo DS) - 35 minutes

Doom (Game Boy Advance) - 55 minutes

Ōkamiden (Nintendo DS) - 57 minutes

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Nintendo DS) - 145 minutes

Game Boy

Boggle Plus - 13 minutes

Operation C - 33 minutes

Game Boy Color

Monopoly - 48 minutes

NES

Dragon Spirit: The New Legend - 30 minutes

Xevious - 17 minutes

Xevious (Played on Classic NES Series: Xevious for Game Boy Advance) - 11 minutes

PlayStation

Area 51 - 29 minutes

Doom - 356 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,306 minutes (21 hours 46 minutes) [537 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo DS: 714 minutes

PlayStation: 385 minutes

NES: 58 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 55 minutes

Game Boy Color: 48 minutes

Game Boy: 46 minutes

The second was especially true for me this week, with Animal Crossing: Wild World on the Nintendo DS making up the bulk of my gaming time. I was waiting to dive into this game until my brand new crimson & black colored DS Lite arrived in the mail, which it did a week ago today, and ever since then I haven't been able to put it (or Animal Crossing for that matter) down! :D I did devote a little time here and there to continuing to play through the stories in Ōkamiden, Doom, and Dementium: The Ward; but the majority of the time I had the shiny new DS Lite in my hands it was running Animal Crossing.

The first truth I mentioned was much more applicable to my wife this week, and with that in mind she ended up logging nearly all of my household's tracker eligible playtime this week playing Doom on the PlayStation and Xevious on the NES. I spent a little time with both of those systems myself, getting a few quick fixes of Area 51 and Dragon Spirit: The New Legend, but the credit for the vast majority of my household's tracker eligible time this week definitely goes to the misses. Next week looks to be pretty similar for us, with me still getting bit hard by the Animal Crossing bug and my other half still greatly enjoying her playthrough of Doom on the PS1. She just finished the Ultimate Doom section of the game (on Ultra Violence and with an arcade stick no less) earlier this evening, and she has every intention of playing through the Doom II portion of the game next week. :)

Lastly, the third truth will soon bring about a big gaming related change in my household this week that is sure to affect our tracker participation—and especially the pictures I post every week—over the coming months. After a lengthy debate with the misses over the financial cost of my collecting hobby vs the variety of games we have to play, it has been decided that we will be slowly transitioning to using flash carts for all our cartridge based systems. To start things off, this week I ordered an original R4 card for my DS Lite, then if that works out well next month the misses will be getting an R4i Gold or DSTwo for her DSi XL and I'll pick up a EZ Flash V expansion cart for my DS Lite's GBA port. From there we'll be saving up as a couple to get an Everdrive N8 for our NES, an Everdrive MD for the Sega Genesis, and lastly a Everdrive GB for my Game Boy Color. We both feel that transitioning to playing games off flash carts on original hardware will be the most economic way to expand our library of available games while still conserving money and allowing us to save up for important non-gaming related events coming up this summer.

This doesn't mean that I'm going to completely stop collecting cartridges for all our cartridge based systems though, it just means that I'll be able to start collecting more slowly and causally while I set aside money for other things. With all the cartridge based games I've ever wanted to play already at my disposal I think it'll help me relax a lot and not stress out over collecting, so I can just play whatever games I want to play whenever I want to play them and eventually pick up the physical carts for them as I stumble across good deals over time. And that feels like a very positive note to end this week's post on! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 12, running from March 14 - 20. We logged 3459 minutes of eligible play, playing 76 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Doom (PlayStation) - 356

2. Crackpots (Atari 2600) - 318

3. Worm! (Atari 7800) - 275

4. Top Players' Tennis [aka Four Player Tennis] (NES/Famicom) - 236

5. Crusader of Centy (Genesis) - 230

6. Silent Hunter (PC (DOS)) - 221

7. Pinball Spectacular (C64) - 170

8. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 156

9. Amazing Spider-man (Game Boy) - 127

10. Space Gun (Arcade) - 90

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Crackpots (Atari 2600) - 318

2. Worm! (Atari 7800) - 275

3. Pinball Spectacular (C64) - 170

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 156

5. Nonogram (TI-99/4A) - 85

6. Battlezone (Atari 2600) - 60

6. Boss Disc, The [hack of The Boss/Soccer Boss] (C64) - 60

8. Minesweeper (TI-99/4A) - 40

9. Restless II (TI-99/4A) - 25

10. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600) - 22

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (645)

2. PlayStation (385)

3. NES/Famicom (326)

4. Genesis (301)

5. Game Boy (276)

6. Atari 7800 (275)

7. Arcade (255)

8. C64 (230)

9. PC (DOS) (221)

10. TI-99/4A (220)

Week 12 is a quieter, but still active week in which Doom edges out Crackpots for the top spot, but the latter game helps earn the Atari 2600 #1 on the system charts by a solid margin. Speaking of which, there are a couple more of those 1-minute margins this week too, as 4 of 10 spots on the system charts are decided by a mere 60 seconds of leeway.

Finally, the 1000-minute club gains a new member this week, as Top Players' Tennis -- known as Four Player Tennis in some parts of the world -- meets the requirements for spot #205 with 1135 minutes logged to date. I'm sure Ivan "Eye-Ven" Lendl and Chris "Not Lloyd" Evert are thrilled.

• Like 6

Arcades

Addams Family - 10 minutes

[...]

Logic Pro - 10 minutes

These were a couple of the more unusual arcade entries I've seen in a while, BTW. Logic Pro is apparently a Korean-made puzzle game from the 1990s, but what's Addams Family -- the game with the "shocker" poles, or something else?

• Like 2