IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

Atari 2600

Missile Command: 4 min

Mr. Do’s Castle: 12 min

Reactor: 13 min

Return of the Jedi: 29 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 60

PC (Windows 95)

Grim Fandango: 130 min

Game Boy Classic

The Hunt for Red October: 6 min

Some variety at last. Apart from playing a little more Atari than necessary for the High Score Club, I proceeded a little in Silent Hunter, tested a new (shitty) Game Boy game and started playing Grim Fandango again.

That is an absolute masterpiece! It's very hard to choose a favourite among the various LucasArts/Lucasfilm Games titles, because it also depends on the mood I'm in. But no matter how my top 3 list looks like at any given moment, it ALWAYS has Grim Fandango in it. What a brilliant design choice at that very special time in computer game technology... skeletons being the main characters. What a brilliant story full of dark humour. What creative puzzles. What a brilliant soundtrack!

• Like 6

Heh. I like "a little more Atari than necessary" on a primarily Atari focused forum. :)

Anyway, here are my times for the past week:

Mega Drive:
Truxton / Tatsujin - 17 min.
VIC-20:
Alien Sidestep - 5 min.
Clowns - 17 min.
Frogman - 9 min.
Gridder - 32 min.
Jungle Hunt - 11 min.
Miner 2049er - 5 min.
Omega Race - 24 min.
Pole Position - 13 min.
Space Snake (cartridge) - 43 min.
I set a new family record on Gridder, 4222 pts and grid 7, beating my big brother's record since 30++ years ago.
  • Like 7

Heh. I like "a little more Atari than necessary" on a primarily Atari focused forum. :)

Hehe... Yeah, I guess that came out a little wrong. What I do mean, of course, is that I finally had a week where I could play my real hardware. For example, I can't play Atari when my son's in the room, or he would want to fiddle around with it as well. Rest assured that he will! In due time, I will of course initiate him into the magic of coarse pixels. But right now, he's only 23 months old, and that's a little early to play videogames.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (April 18th through 24th)...

Commodore +4:

2048 - 48 min.

Online (non-eligible):

20 Euros - 251 min. in 2 sessions

VIC-20:

Threes - 16 min.

I played the Commodore +4 version of 2048, which is quite good although it's silent (as others) and not too colorful and only uses character graphics. On the VIC-20, there is no version of 2048, but "Threes", the game 2048 was derived of, has been ported. There are several differences to 2048... the numbers don't move all the way, but only one step, and you first have to merge 1's and 2's to get 3's. Well, what do you do if you've got a bunch of 2's, but no 1's on the playfield? I didn't play this for too long.

Finally, I played "20 Euros" for quite a long time. I managed to get the 10 Euro bill twice, and even a 5 Euro bill on top of that. On one game, I even had all the coins I would have needed to complete the game, but I couldn't get them into the correct order to do it.

I think that pretty much concludes playing 2048 and its variants, since now I've tried all interesting ones, and all demakes I can easily run on an emulator.

• Like 4

Been way too busy with this work sorta stuff but...

In honor of the playoffs..

SNES - NBA Jam TE: ~6 Hours

I'm going to have to sneak in some old-school Hockey gaming too but I've been stuck on the Jam. I forgot how much I love this game, and how ludicrous the CPU Assistance is in these classic Midway games!

The damned Magic snuck by me otherwise I'd be undefeated. Orlando is stacked in this game. I've literally played probably over a thousand games of this damned thing in my lifetime.... good nostalgia going on! And I'm on pace to beat the Warriors' single season record with Tom Googs and Latrell "Sorry I choked ya, coach" Sprewell!"

• Like 6

ATARI 2600:

Kangaroo - 10 minutes

Mr. Do!'s Castle - 180 minutes

Real Sports Soccer - 12 minutes

ATARI 5200:

Astrochase - 15 minutes

Berzerk - 5 minutes

Countermeasure - 15 minutes

Final Legacy - 10 minutes

James Bond 007 - 10 minutes

Kangaroo - 23 minutes

Keystone Kapers - 55 minutes

K-razy Shootout - 7 minutes

Mountain King - 8 minutes

QIX - 15 minutes

Star Wars: The Arcade Game - 8 minutes

Stargate - 1 minute

Vanguard - 24 minutes

Video of the week - MR. DO!'s CASTLE - 1 Million Points, for 2600 NEW HSC Season 5, Week 14 (statistical tables included)

post-24681-0-08094800-1461544148_thumb.pngpost-24681-0-63446500-1461544152_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

It was a really great Wiik, errr—week for gaming in my household, with Nintendo's best selling home console experiencing a bit of a renaissance in my gaming life. And their handhelds didn't do too shabby either! :D

MdqAVgS.jpg

Ineligible

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 318 minutes

Art Academy (Nintendo DS) - 124 minutes

Dream Pinball 3D (Nintendo DS) - 163 minutes

Red Steel (Nintendo Wii) - 465 minutes

Atari 2600 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)

Mr. Do's Castle - 53 minutes

Game Boy (All emulated on Nintendo Wii)

Arcade Classic No. 1 - Asteroids & Missile Command - 40 minutes

Arcade Classic No. 2 - Centipede & Millipede - 62 minutes

Arcade Classic No. 3 - Galaga & Galaxian - 32 minutes

Mortal Kombat - 46 minutes

Game Boy Color

Beatmania GB - 17 minutes

Dance Dance Revolution GB - 146 minutes

Dance Dance Revolution GB2 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 20 minutes

Dance Dance Revolution GB3 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 8 minutes

Dance Dance Revolution GB: Disney Mix (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 7 minutes

Oha Star Dance Dance Revolution GB (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 19 minutes

PlayStation

Riven: The Sequel to Myst - 318 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,865 minutes (31 hours 5 minutes) [795 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo DS: 605 minutes

Nintendo Wii: 465 minutes

PlayStation: 345 minutes

Game Boy Color: 217 minutes

Game Boy: 180 minutes

Atari 2600: 53 minutes

For me the big systems that I played the most this week were both the tracker ineligible Nintendo DS (as per usual) and the Nintendo Wii. After having spent the last couple weeks emulating lots of 8 and 16-bit games on the Wii I really started developing an appreciation for the system again and an enthusiasm for collecting for it that I haven't felt since it first came out. I remember back when the Wii first launched, the game Red Steel got pretty terrible reviews and was widely panned by critics for not having as precise control as all the first person shooters on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I remember liking Red Steel when it first came out, but now that I go back and play it again 10 years later I'm finding myself appreciating the game far more than I ever did back then. The story is great, the action is tons of fun, and the only real complaints I could make about it are that the sword fighting motion controls (which aren't that bad at all) could have been a bit more responsive and there is a little bit of lag here and there during loading sequences. I think Red Steel is one of those games that is a lot more enjoyable now that it's had time to age than it was when it first hit the scene, and I can safely say that I've gotten way more fun out of it than I'd expect to get from any game that I paid all of $2 for to get it complete in box.

With prices like that I feel like now is a great time to be collecting for the Wii, and I'm sure to start building a proper Wii collection and giving the system lots more attention over the summer. As seen above, a good chunk of the attention my Wii has been getting has been through the wonderful selection of emulators available on the Homebrew Channel. The Wii is great for emulating pretty much any 8 or 16-bit system perfectly, and my emulator and ROM collections for it have expanded to currently include Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 8-Bit Computers, Commodore 64, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, Master System, Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance. Of that big list of system emulators the only one that's given me any trouble or lagged at all so far was the Game Boy Advance, but that was only with a few certain graphically demanding games and I suppose it's understandable given that the GBA is a 32-bit system. For all the 8 and 16-bit stuff though the Wii has performed totally flawlessly, and I had loads of fun exploring some Game Boy/Color and Atari 2600 games on it this week. :)

I also played a fair bit of Game Boy Color on the real system, enjoying my newly acquired complete in box copy of Dance Dance Revolution GB. I'm always a sucker for weird and wacky controller attachments, and being a fan of the DDR series as a whole I just had to pick up and try the Game Boy Color version with the funky thumb dance pad that straps onto the GBC. The little plastic thumb dance pad ended up not working out too great and made the controls and timing very imprecise (which may have simply been due to the fitment between the dance pad and the custom D-pad and buttons on my GBC, which are a fair bit taller and slightly differently shaped than stock ones), but it sure looked neat and fortunately the game did play excellently once I removed the dance pad and just stuck with using the down and left directional buttons plus A & B for the inputs. At this point I've beaten every song in the game on Basic and Another difficulty, but I've yet to complete some of the completely insane tracks on Maniac difficulty. Frankly I'm not sure if any human was meant to be able to beat them. :lol: Nevertheless, it's still an astonishingly good game on the GBC and I'll be looking forward to adding physical copies of DDR GB2 & 3 to my collection at some point in the not too distant future.

On the misses' side of things, she's continued to plow her way through Riven on her PS1, but her progress was pretty well stalled this week when she hit one big puzzle that she just couldn't wrap her head around no matter how long she pondered it. At that point the Player's Guide pictured above came out and she ended up using it to get a couple less vague hints towards the solution. She hasn't been able to tackle the puzzle and figure it out yet, but I think she does have a pretty good idea of how to go about figuring it out now that the guide has pointed her in the right direction. She's been taking a break from the headache inducing puzzles of Riven for the last couple days, but I'm guessing she'll get back to it next week if she doesn't get too distracted by all the 8 and 16-bit systems she can play emulated on the Wii once her Mad Catz Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii FightStick arrives in the mail tomorrow or the next day.

In any case, next week looks to be a fun and interesting one for gaming as I continue to shoot and slash my way through Red Steel and my better half puts her brain to work on some of the more devious and esoteric challenges of Riven. That's all for this week!

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

Game Boy Classic

The Hunt for Red October: 6 min

Some variety at last. Apart from playing a little more Atari than necessary for the High Score Club, I proceeded a little in Silent Hunter, tested a new (shitty) Game Boy game and started playing Grim Fandango again.

I had Hunt for RO as a kid. Never could do much with it. I've thought about going back and using savestates on it for years. Same with the GB Star Trek games.

Were you actually playing the old version of Grim Fandango or the newly remastered one?

• Like 3

I had Hunt for RO as a kid. Never could do much with it. I've thought about going back and using savestates on it for years. Same with the GB Star Trek games.

Were you actually playing the old version of Grim Fandango or the newly remastered one?

Same here about the Star Trek games. Nasty hard gameplay, as in RO, probably very short games hiding behind that...

I actually play the original version. Manual install from CDs I found on a flea market - with the help of online instructions, and playing it in "ResidualVM" to avoid the 32bit-64bit collision. I've seen screenshots from the remastered edition, appreciated the new lighting effects, but didn't care much for it apart from that. The original is pretty much perfect.

• Like 4

Almost forgot to post, whoops

32X:

Virtua Racing Deluxe - 30 minutes

NES:

Ninja Gaiden 3 - 410 minutes

SNES:

ActRaiser 2 - 200 minutes

DOOM - 40 minutes

Nothing variety wise, just over ten hours in two games though so that's a good bit. Started the week with VR on the 32X, fun little racer but I can't do all to well - only ever finish the race with the Stock car on the 1st and 2nd tracks anyways. Ninja Gaiden 3 got played a good bit, as I ran through it, and by that I mean I failed a ton at it. I played it via that Ninja Gaiden Trilogy cart on SNES, but I figured it's just playing a NES game in the end so it should go under NES. ActRaiser 2 had to be emulated, as I didn't have a cart, but it's a game I am looking to get my own cart of as I find it fun. It's tough, but it's fun. DOOM on SNES got playtime too, I haven't played it in a good while so I figured I'd fire it up. Everything is kinda dark for me and I can't see as far as some other versions, but the music and sounds are cool so that's nice.

So yeah, not a variety of games but a good bit of time in general. I'm thinking of finishing off the Game.com in a week or two here, but I've been using my spare time for other stuff so maybe not, I dunno.

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 17, running from April 18 - 24. We logged 3826 minutes of eligible play, playing 72 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 460

2. Ninja Gaiden III (NES/Famicom) - 410

3. NBA Jam TE (SNES) - 360

4. Riven: The Sequel to Myst (PlayStation) - 318

5. Mr. Do's Castle (Atari 2600) - 282

6. Game & Watch Gallery (Game Boy) - 216

7. ActRaiser 2 (SNES) - 200

8. Dance Dance Revolution GB (Game Boy Color) - 146

9. Grim Fandango (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 130

10. Arcade Classic No. 2 - Centipede & Millipede (Game Boy) - 62

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 460

2. Mr. Do's Castle (Atari 2600) - 282

3. Keystone Kapers (Atari 5200) - 55

4. Delta (Delta Patrol) (C64) - 54

5. 2048 (Commodore 16 & Plus/4) - 48

6. Space Snake (cartridge) (VIC-20) - 43

7. Super Cobra (Atari 5200) - 40

8. Super Cobra (Atari 2600) - 35

9. Gridder (VIC-20) - 32

10. Star Wars: Death Star Battle (Atari 2600) - 29

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (845)

2. SNES (630)

3. NES/Famicom (495)

4. Game Boy (442)

5. PlayStation (318)

6. Atari 5200 (236)

7. Game Boy Color (217)

8. VIC-20 (175)

9. PC (Windows 95/98) (130)

10. Arcade (84)

Kaboom! Kaboom! Kaboom!

...yeah, that's pretty much it.

(P.S. Good effort, Ninja Gaiden III. Can you believe no one's ever logged Ninja Gaiden II on the tracker?)

• Like 7

BTW from what I can tell, these are the only officially released Atari 5200 games that haven't been logged yet:

Activision Decathlon, The
Bristles
Congo Bongo
Pitfall!
Quest for Quintana Roo
Space Shuttle
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle
Just seven to go, then!
Also, Jin, I'm trying to decide what to do about "Arcade Classic No. 1 - Asteroids & Missile Command". The other two Arcade Classic titles you logged don't have individual cart releases of both games they contain, so I'll count them the way I do Super Mario All-Stars, i.e. as a single distinctive release. But both games on AC1 were released individually, which suggests it might be better counted à la SMB/Duck Hunt (i.e. separately for each game since it's a compilation cart of prior material).
Do both of the ROMs on there seem identical to the separate cart releases? With release dates three years apart (individual carts in 1992 vs. AC1 in 1995), I'm guessing it's just a compilation cart.
  • Like 6

Also, Jin, I'm trying to decide what to do about "Arcade Classic No. 1 - Asteroids & Missile Command". The other two Arcade Classic titles you logged don't have individual cart releases of both games they contain, so I'll count them the way I do Super Mario All-Stars, i.e. as a single distinctive release. But both games on AC1 were released individually, which suggests it might be better counted à la SMB/Duck Hunt (i.e. separately for each game since it's a compilation cart of prior material).

Do both of the ROMs on there seem identical to the separate cart releases? With release dates three years apart (individual carts in 1992 vs. AC1 in 1995), I'm guessing it's just a compilation cart.

Sorry for the confusion there! I did some side by side testing of Arcade Classic No.1 - Asteroids & Missile Command vesus their individual cart releases and the only differences I can find between them is that for the compilation cart the link cable multiplayer options have been removed in both games and a new "Classic" vector graphics style option has been added to Asteroids. Other than that the gameplay, sound, etc. is all identical.

If you'd like to count Asteroids and Missile Command towards their separate cart releases then my play time for Asteroids was about 12 minutes and Missile Command was around 28 minutes. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Colecovision:

Donkey Kong: 10 Minutes

Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle: 5 Minutes

Pepper II: 12 Minutes

Venture: 15 Minutes

NES:

Super Mario Bros: 45 Minutes

Castlevania: 25 Minutes

Super Mario Bros Special (Hack): 35 Minutes

Mame/Arcade:

Vs. Dr. Mario: 5 Minutes

Pole Position: 5 Minutes

Mario Bros: 75 Minutes

Frogger: 5 Minutes

Star Wars The Arcade Game: 8 Minutes

Robotron 2084: 2 Minutes

Speed Buggy: 5 Minutes

• Like 5

Not a lot to report this week, since I was on vacation. I did make a little progress in...

...Grim Fandango (Win95): 100 min.

I remember most of the puzzles, so it's not a big challenge. Still, I'm taking my time, enjoying the dialogues, the eerie scenery and the music.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (April 25th through May 1st)...

Online (non-eligible):

20 Euros - 230 min. in 6 sessions

Sorry, no classic games this time. I only played the online game "20 Euros", and I managed to beat it. This game is a bit chaotic in that things happen in areas you're not really focussing on. In fact, I accidentally beat the game by building up another 5 Euro note in an area I wasn't really looking at because I concentrated on another area of the playfield.

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Kangaroo - 12 minutes

ATARI 5200:

Jr. Pac-Man - 15 minutes

New high score obtained: 60,370 points on Bicycle Start

Kangaroo - 15 minutes

New high score obtained: 56,200 points on Novice Skill

Pac-Man - 105 minutes

New high score obtained: 92,850 points on Cherries Start

ATARI 7800:

Baby Pac-Man [Hack of Pac-Man] - 134 minutes