IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

Arcade
Star Wars 10

Commodore 64
Delta Patrol 14

Gameboy
Revenge of the Gator 58

Nintendo 64
Shadows of the Empire 45
Rogue Squadron 142

Early in the week, I got further in Delta Patrol, but I had to put the 1702s away to get our house a little tidier, so I may not be going back to the C64 soon. A thread here on AA prompted me to play the version of Star Wars (arcade) included on the Gamecube release of Rogue Squadron III. I did play that, but then popped in RS II and played it like all day Saturday. Revenge of the Gator is now the game in my GBA, so I played it a few times right before going to bed. And yes, I did end up playing the C64 and N64 in the same week :). I went through my N64 carts and tested a few. I never had an N64 bitd, and despite hearing people kinda complain about Shadows of the Empire for years, I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes. Next it was more Star Wars action with the original Rogue Squadron. It is MUCH easier than the Gamecube sequel, and I hope to get through all the missions in all the RS games this month.

• Like 6

I got caught running errands all morning and afternoon, so forgive the short and poorly formatted post from my mobile, but here's the quick and dirty play time figures for my household this week:

Ineligible

----------

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 212 minutes

Dream Pinball 3D (Nintendo DS) - 22 minutes

Red Steel (Nintendo Wii) - 506 minutes

Arcade

-----------

Donkey Kong 3 - 7 minutes

Donkey Kong Junior - 31 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 5 minutes

Pac-Man Plus - 11 minutes

Scramble - 9 minutes

Atari 2600

---------------

Frogger - 12 minutes

Atari 7800

---------------

Crossbow - 22 minutes

Donkey Kong - 12 minutes

Donkey Kong Junior - 12 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 10 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 43 minutes

Plutos - 23 minutes

Robotron 2084 - 3 minutes

Scramble - 28 minutes

Tower Toppler - 22 minutes

Xevious - 11 minutes

ColecoVision

------------------

Super Cobra - 7 minutes

Game Boy Color

-------------------

Dance Dance Revolution GB - 53 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 436 minutes

NES

--------

Donkey Kong - 12 minutes

Pac-Man (Namco) - 6 minutes

Super Mario Bros. 3 - 42 minutes

Sega Genesis

------------------

Frogger - 7 minutes

Mortal Kombat - 138 minutes

Primal Rage - 33 minutes

Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition - 53 minutes

Super Street Fighter II - 7 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week: 1,795 minutes (29 hours 55 minutes) [1,055 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

=================================

Nintendo Wii: 506 minutes

Game Boy Color: 489 minutes

Sega Genesis: 238 minutes

Nintendo DS: 234 minutes

Atari 7800: 186 minutes

Arcade: 63 minutes

NES: 60 minutes

Atari 2600: 12 minutes

ColecoVision: 7 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Like last week, not many games but a good bit of time in each game.

Dreamcast:

Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense - 163 minutes

NES:

Ninja Gaiden: 251 minutes

Ninja Gaiden 2: 300 minutes

PC (Windows):

Blood II: The Chosen - 100 minutes

Divi-Dead: 360 minutes

Battlezone: 120 minutes

So yeah, dumped a good bit of time into six games. I started the week with Dreamcast, playing Vigilante 8. This is one of my favorite if not my favorite vehicular combat game, so I dumped time into it. I like how it plays, the only issue I have is that the stick on my Dreamcast controller is going bad so it was a bit tough and I ended up dropping the game. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 both got played through, so yeah, fun stuff there. The first game I have mostly down, no way I can clear it in one life but I have patterns down a good bit. Ninja Gaiden 2, well, that was like 3 - I can beat it yeah, but it takes me a good bit as it's not like 1 where I have the patterns. Luckily it has unlimited continues, I hated having to keep resetting in 3 and I couldn't find my game genie so I was screwed on that run.

Classic PC stuff kinda got played too. Blood II I ran through a good bit of, I'm not sure what I think of it - definitely not as fun as the first to me - but it's not bad either, so I'm confused on that game. I brought out DiviDead again, it's a strange game. Due to the nature of the game, there's the actual plot, and the "plot". Personally everything involving the "plot" that most people would go in it for isn't really important except for which ending out of the four or five you get so I like to hold that advance text button, as I was in it for the actual plot, and wow it's a lot more confusing than I remember, so that got me thinking a bit and was a nice break from the other stuff as I went a bit completionist on it and tried for 100% completion in the gallery, and had to wrap my head around what was going on. Finally, Battlezone (The 1998 one) got played, and that's a fun game. Kinda a combination of a FPS and RTS, it's a great game to sit down with, and I saw it's even on Steam now so if I ever lose my CD or it just dies and I don't have the stuff on my computer, that's cool stuff.

So yeah, sorry for the wall of text. I like this style of playing a few games for a long time every week compared to many games for a little bit of time as I get a better view of the game and can do more with it - I think I may do this more often. Also, Game.com is on the side still, and probably will be for a bit as I'm getting Uncharted 4 and then the new DOOM (Which I'm not so sure about) on the 10th and 13th, so I'll be on those for a good bit as long as I'm happy with them. That's all.

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 18, running from April 25 - May 1. We logged 4830 minutes of eligible play, playing 64 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pokemon Yellow (Game Boy) - 782

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 664

3. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color) - 436

4. Divi-Dead (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 360

5. Ninja Gaiden II (NES/Famicom) - 300

6. Ninja Gaiden (NES/Famicom) - 251

7. Vigilante 8: Second Offense (Dreamcast) - 163

8. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64) - 142

9. Mortal Kombat (Genesis) - 138

10. Baby Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 134

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 664

2. Baby Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 134

3. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 105

4. Mario Bros. (Arcade) - 75

5. M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - 65

6. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 43

7. Fast Ms. Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 40

8. Donkey Kong Jr. (Arcade) - 31

9. Scramble (Atari 7800) - 28

10. Plutos (Atari 7800) - 23

Top 10 systems:

1. Game Boy (840)

2. NES/Famicom (716)

3. Atari 2600 (713)

4. PC (Windows 95/98) (680)

5. Game Boy Color (489)

6. Atari 7800 (360)

7. Genesis (238)

8. N64 (187)

9. Arcade (178)

10. Dreamcast (163)

Well, Pokemon Red Version is one of our all-time top games, and Pokemon Blue is up there too. But now it's Pokemon Yellow making its move and grabbing the top spot in this week's charts.

Kaboom grabs #2 on the individual charts and #1 on the pre-NES, but the NES just barely edges the Atari for the #2 spot on the system charts, largely thanks to a Ninja Gaiden combo platter.

• Like 7

Hi, guys.

I would like to tell you my greatest news: my box which contains my HighScore.com prize has arrived at home.

It contains an Atari 7800 Prosystem Console and 2 High Score T-shirts. Here is a photo which shows ME with a High Score T-shirt.

It's the first photo taken via smartphone / camera which I'm going to present here.

Cheers!

post-24681-0-79187100-1462409851_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Atari 8-bit:

Baa Baa Black Sheep - 11 min.

HexagonXE - 4 min.

Loco-Motion - 6 min.

Nordic Ski - 5 min.

Xpoker [Dave Oblad, Software Cellar] - 7 min.

Yoomp! - 60 min.

SNES:

Fever Pitch - 8 min.

Nigel Mansell's World Championship - 36 min.

Test Drive II - 10 min.

This week I reached level 11, Torreador for the first time in Yoomp! and promptly set a new personal best at 8481 pts. I also had a reasonably good run at Nigel Mansell, until the console crashed on me with a screen of garbage graphics.

• Like 5

Intellivision:

Stampede: 40 Minutes

Turbo Grafx 16:

Bomberman: 25 Minutes

Playstation:

Point Blank: 15 Minutes

Point Blank 2: 30 Minutes

Mame/Arcade:

Mario Bros: 20 Minutes

Haunted Castle: 40 Minutes

Super Sprint: 3 Minutes

Tempest: 7 Minutes

Pole Position: 6 Minutes

Space Firebird: 8 Minutes

Speed Buggy: 4 Minutes

Ms. Pac-Man: 10 Minutes

• Like 5

Atari 2600:

Atlantis - 70 mintues

NES:

Sweet Home - 230 minutes

PC-9801:

Corpse Party - 620 minutes

PC-FX:

Langrisser II - 120 minutes

And all my other times are ineligible as they're newer systems, and there's at least another 15 hours logged in that stuff. Pretty much, a friend of mine passed me a box of random japan stuff to mess with, so I brought out some of my old japan stuff. I played through Corpse Party, a fun little horror RPG, which has a good few games. The old PC-98 one is lighter on the violence and stuff, while the newer ones contain a good bit of gore, and some of the death stuff gets pretty brutal. I do like the series enough though, and they're doing one on the 3DS that I may have to grab. I played another horror RPG also, Sweet Home, for the Idon'tknowhowmany-th time. It's a fairly fun game, simple gameplay and a decent story. Permadeath is also a thing which is cool, lose a party member and they stay out, and depending on how many you have left you can get a bit of a different ending, which I found cool - this was also in PC-98 Corpse Party as it's more of an RPG, but the newer ones kill people off for you unless you fail a chase and get a bad ending. The PC-FX got dragged out for a bit, too. I never remembered much about Langrisser but I heard it was OK from some people so I tried it again, and it's an OK game but nothing I could get into. Finally, I played a bit of Atari, I wanted to try my hand at Atlantis again and I could go for 5-10 minutes then fail. I always wanted to get a video mod on my 2600 as RF wasn't the best in the world, but it keeps getting fuzzier and fuzzier on all my TVs and I'm really considering buying a 2600RGB thing and being done with it - I don't mind RF on stuff like the NES and Dreamcast since it looks smooth, but when it's all fuzzy, yeah I'd rather not have it. So that's all, just a few games that I could put in here, but I put a bit of time into 'em.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week:

Arcade / Visual PinMAME (not sure if eligible):

Baby Pac-Man - 144 min. in 2 sessions

Arcade:

Anteater - 44 min.

This week I basically played two games, the first one being Anteater. The games there go pretty quick, so I didn't play for long. Then, after having seen the 7800 hack which doesn't contain the pinball part, I played Baby Pac-Man via Visual PinMame. Now this PC software simulates the pinball part, but emulates the video and audio part. Actually, it does run the original ROM's, but of course the mechanical table itself can't be "emulated", and by seeing a Youtube video of an actual Baby Pac-Man machine, I think there are some differences in how the game reacts - most notably, the flippers have less power and the ball is bigger in the original version than in Visual PinMAME. Besides, I think it was said that pinball tables are ineligible for the tracker, so I'm unsure if this one will be. Anyway, I managed to complete the 6th maze with some of the parts of the 7th maze being invisible. I think that's the furthest I've ever come in this game.

Besides that, I turned back to analyzing the code for the Game&Watch game Mickey & Donald. Since the disassembler in MAME is faulty and also unable to save the disassembly in a file, I wrote my own disassembler in VB.net, which after a few tweaks now works flawlessly. I've already made out some code sections, such as the game over sound, the place where the clock gets advanced and subroutines doing different kinds of sounds.

In other news, I've already pushed my Radionomy station "Radio Würmchen" to over 3,300 songs, but I stopped adding more now because at the moment there's a database error where no songs in their library can be found. The station will probably be deleted at the end of May for not having enough listeners, if not earlier (they say they'll do an official announcement tomorrow, whatever that may be). So if you want to listen to it while it's there (it mainly plays lighter pop music from the last 60 years, based on what's popular here in Vienna, most of it in English, but some also in German and other languages), you can do so here: http://listen.radionomy.com/radiowurmchen

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Pac-Man - 20 minutes

I played this classic game on Stella and Atari 7800 Prosystem Console just to test this hardware. Since my entrance on Atari Age Forums in October 2009, I started using Atari Console for the first time at home.

It's the same game which I played at Park Shopping Barigui in Curitiba when I visited the 1980's Toys Museum in October 2013.

ATARI 7800:

1) Baby Pac-Man [hack of Pac-Man] - 135 minutes

2) Portable Ms. Pac-Man [hack of Pac-Man] - 55 minutes

• Like 5

A little more fun from me this week, at least:

NES:
Nobunaga's Ambition - 2 min.
Platoon - 2 min.
Quattro Arcade - 116 min.
Secret Scout in the Temple of Demise - 11 min.
I beat CJ the Elephant, one-quarter of Quattro Arcade, which I'd beaten before. I also nosed around a bit in Secret Scout, which plays like the unlicensed game it is, but has the virtue of being very forgiving.
  • Like 5

Kind of a lot for me this week:

N64
Rogue Squadron 14
Jet Force Gemini 295

Atari Lynx
Paperboy 36
Pinball Jam 53
Switch Blade II 11
Electrocop 8
Shadow of the Beast 13
Viking Child 14
Batman Returns 8
Rygar 62

Gameboy
Empire strikes back 5

Arcade
Zaxxon 5
Willow 5
Tapper 53
Wizard of Wor 8
Rygar 15

ZX Spectrum
Jetpac 5

I'd never heard of Jet Force Gemini until I got the Rare replay for XOne. I found it quite enjoyable and there are updated controls labeled as "modern" which I admit made more sense. The game pulled me in for a weekend; not sure if I'll go after it again - perhaps.

I got a Lynx! There was someone selling one on my local Craigslist, so I pulled the trigger. I also went and bought some rechargeable batteries because I wasn't sure if I had an AC adapter that would work with it. I'd never spent much time with the arcade version of Rygar, but it's conversion stood out from the group as an enjoyable offering.

I am not very good at Tapper, but I wanted to try and get up over 50k, so I managed that and played a handful of other arcade games with some friends during a party at my house.

• Like 5

Mame/Arcade:

Vampire Killer: 40 Minutes

This got me curious. I thought Vampire Killer was a MSX2 exclusive, within the Castlevania series. I didn't find it at the International Arcade Museum, nor does the Wikipedia page mention any arcade version. There is an unrelated game for the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC with the same name, released two years before the Konami game. There is Castlevania: The Arcade though, released in 2009 so it would be ineligible here.

• Like 4

Man, it's been one busy (and kinda awful) day here. I'm hoping to have my household's weekly play time statistics posted by midnight, but I've just been feeling really lousy all day so there's a chance I might miss out this week.

Ah, what the heck. I'll try to write a proper post and take pictures later but for now here's the rough and unformatted statistics from my household for the week:

Ineligible

---------------

Aliens vs Pinball (Android) - 12 minutes

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 184 minutes

The Dark Spire (Nintendo DS) - 49 minutes

DJ Hero (Nintendo Wii) - 111 minutes

DJ Hero 2 (Nintendo Wii) - 67 minutes

Dream Pinball 3D (Nintendo DS) - 23 minutes

Ghost Squad (Nintendo Wii) - 260 minutes

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 10 minutes

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (Nintendo Wii) - 149 minutes

Red Steel (Nintendo Wii) - 123 minutes

Arcade

-----------

Donkey Kong - 9 minutes

Donkey Kong Junior - 10 minutes

Game Boy Color

--------------------------

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 297 minutes

NES

-------

Freedom Force - 38 minutes

SNES

---------

Star Fox - 53 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week: 1,395 minutes (23 hours 15 minutes) [407 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

================================

Nintendo Wii: 710 minutes

Game Boy Color: 297 minutes

Nintendo DS: 256 minutes

SNES: 53 minutes

NES: 38 minutes

Android: 22 minutes

Arcade: 19 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

This got me curious. I thought Vampire Killer was a MSX2 exclusive, within the Castlevania series. I didn't find it at the International Arcade Museum, nor does the Wikipedia page mention any arcade version. There is an unrelated game for the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC with the same name, released two years before the Konami game. There is Castlevania: The Arcade though, released in 2009 so it would be ineligible here.

Thanks for pointing the error out and correcting me. I think I was a little brain dead when I posted :lol: . I meant to put Haunted Castle and that is what I played and not Vampire Killer. Sorry for the mistaken input and confusion. It's all edited. :)

• Like 3

Close enough, they're both Konami games released in the same era and similar visuals. :thumbsup:

Edit: In Japanese, they all seem to be called Akumajou Dracula so while not canon CastleVania related, somehow they are anyway.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3