IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

Here are my times for this past week (May 16th through 22nd)...

Sadly, I made a big mistake this Thursday which is so stupid that I'd rather not disclose it. Therefore I decided that in order to compensate for this, I must be especially well-behaved now, and this rut I'm going through since several months now must come to an end... I'm now procrastinating the data backup on my PC which should have been due roughly on New Year's Day by almost five months (I'm working on it on and off, but still am not finished with it). Therefore I decided to stop all gaming until I've completed all the tasks which I'm now procrastinating for months already, and only start gaming again at the point where gaming actually appears in my priority list... which is much lower than the other tasks I should complete. Therefore, no gaming time this week, and this will probably continue next week, next month... maybe throughout all of summer.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (May 16th through 22nd)...

Sadly, I made a big mistake this Thursday which is so stupid that I'd rather not disclose it. Therefore I decided that in order to compensate for this, I must be especially well-behaved now, and this rut I'm going through since several months now must come to an end... I'm now procrastinating the data backup on my PC which should have been due roughly on New Year's Day by almost five months (I'm working on it on and off, but still am not finished with it). Therefore I decided to stop all gaming until I've completed all the tasks which I'm now procrastinating for months already, and only start gaming again at the point where gaming actually appears in my priority list... which is much lower than the other tasks I should complete. Therefore, no gaming time this week, and this will probably continue next week, next month... maybe throughout all of summer.

Awww, really sorry to hear it Kurt. I just hope your next gaming time post doesn't read:

All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy. All work and no play makes Kurt a dull boy.

• Like 2

Nothing much, but I got the not strange computers some time again.

Apple II:

Choplifter - 45 minutes

Commando - 14 minutes

NES:

Castlevania II - 60 minutes

TI-99/4:

Jet Set Willy - 20 minutes

So most of the week was spent fiddling with the oboe - All my reeds suck and I dumped a good bit of cash on more materials to make reeds/a few handmade reeds while I have to wait 6-8 weeks for the materials to come in. Apart from that stuff, the Apple II got messed with a good bit. Choplifter is really awkward with paddle controllers, let me get that out of the way - Paddle 0 controlled height and turning, while paddle 1 controlled direction/speed and the gun. That took a good bit of time to get used to, but I did OK with it and that felt pretty funky to do. Commando I had to play on my Laser 128 with the beige monitor as one of my DRAM ICs on my language card is bad so I couldn't get the full 64K out of my II+ (Also the reason I can't use ProDOS on the thing) and it's not my favorite version but I still like it. I think it'd be better with a joystick but I don't have any sticks for my Apple II stuff, so that idea was out the window. The NES got a bit of time with Castlevania II, I started a file and got confused after a while so I shut it off before I could get too frustrated. Finally, I had to use Classic99 since I don't have a method of getting the files to my TI-99/4 (Which doesn't get much use in the end) but I messed with the Jet Set Willy port that Asmusr did, and I enjoyed that a good bit. Jet Set Willy is pretty fun on the ZX Spectrum, and finally finding out about/messing with the TI-99 port was fun - that dude did a nice job on the game.

So that was the week, frustration with really expensive pieces of grass/cork/silver, snapping my skateboard because it's a pile of junk and didn't like me landing a kickflip (Gotta pay $50 or so for a new deck and griptape, oh well) and a few fun games.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 5

ARCADE:

1) Dig Dug (from Namco Museum and Namco Museum 50th Anniversary on GBA Emulated) - 40 minutes

2) Galaga (from Namco Museum 50th Anniversary on GBA Emulated) - 65 minutes

3) Rally-X (from Namco Museum 50th Anniversary on GBA Emulated) - 25 minutes

ATARI 2600:

1) Aquaventure (from Stella) - 25 minutes

2) Berzerk (from Stella) - 6 minutes

3) Pac-Man (from Stella and Atari 7800 console) - 95 minutes

ATARI 5200:

1) Jr. Pac-Man (from Altirra) - 30 minutes

2) Star Wars: The Arcade Game (from Altirra) - 5 minutes

3) Zaxxon (from Altirra) - 5 minutes

• Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:

The Chessmaster - 2 min.

Game Boy:

Shisenshou: Match Mania - 60 min.

SNES:

Incredible Crash Dummies - 21 min.

International Tennis Tour - 5 min.

Ka-Blooey - 18 min.

Rocko's Modern Life - 2 min.

Beat three more levels in Shisenshou, and also got through the first seven levels of tacky puzzler Ka-Blooey.

• Like 5

Lynx

Rygar 52

Arcade

Scramble 5

Genesis

MUSHA 5

Untracked Steam

Blast em

Death ray manta

Droid assault

Duet

Jamestown

Luftrausers

Steel storm

Void invaders

Not a lot of tracked activity. I also played a bunch of random DS games as I found myself the new owner of a 511 in 1 card.

• Like 6

No picture this week since it would look just about the same as last week's (given that almost everything new that was played in my household this week was emulated on the Wii), but here's my household's playtime statistics for the week. :)

Ineligible

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS) - 63 minutes

Doom (Game Boy Advance) - 14 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo Wii) - 878 minutes

Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo Wii) - 33 minutes

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 25 minutes

Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii) - 386 minutes

PC-DOS

Doom II - 6 minutes

Final Doom - 319 minutes

The Ultimate Doom - 20 minutes

Sega Genesis

Menacer 6-Game Cartridge - 8 minutes

Sega Master System

Alien 3 - 8 minutes

Astro Warrior - 39 minutes

Missile Defense 3-D - 10 minutes

Mortal Kombat - 50 minutes

Sonic Blast - 94 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog - 182 minutes

Super Nintendo

Doom - 25 minutes

Kirby Super Star - 44 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

2,204 minutes (36 hours 44 minutes) [805 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Wii: 1,297 minutes

Sega Master System: 383 minutes

PC-DOS: 345 minutes

Super Nintendo: 69 minutes

Nintendo DS: 63 minutes

Android: 25 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 14 minutes

Sega Genesis: 8 minutes

The Nintendo Wii continues to be all the rage around my household this week, leading to what I'm pretty sure is our biggest week ever in terms of overall playtime with a whopping 36 hours and 44 minutes! This week I got even more engrossed in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess than last week, with it taking up the bulk of my gaming time, but I also ended up logging a ton of time in the original DOS version of Final Doom thanks to the absolutely wonderful port of Chocolate Doom available for the Wii. I can't even begin to express how incredibly thrilled I was to finally get to play the original DOS versions of my all time favorite first person shooter series that I grew up with for the first time in the better part of a decade! As I got older and developed carpal tunnel it got really hard to use a keyboard or mouse for gaming, so I just stopped playing games on computers quite a while ago, but getting to play the original Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on the Wii with the very comfortable Classic Controller was like a gift from the gaming gods! I love the ports of Doom for the Game Boy Advance, PlayStation, 32x, and other systems but there's just nothing quite like getting to experience the original DOS versions again! :D

As far as the misses's gaming time this week goes, she spent the majority of it playing Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil on the Wii and did a little Master System gaming with me as well. Back before our GameCube and her GameCube arcade stick controller both broke down last year she started in on the Resident Evil REmake on the GameCube, but never got more than an hour or so into it before her controller flaked out on her and she couldn't play it anymore. Since she now has a really nice custom Wii arcade stick to play with I decided to pick her up the Wii version of the same game this week, and she wasted no time diving into it lol. Between Resident Evil sessions she also took the time to play a little more Kirby Super Star for the SNES and took turns with me playing through levels in the SMS version of Sonic the Hedgehog until we finally beat it. Ultimately it took us 3 separate attempts before we were able to conquer this surprisingly difficult game (some of the brutally challenging platforming in it honestly makes the SMS version of Sonic the Hedgehog feel more like an early Super Mario game than a Sonic game at a couple points) but eventually we got there and finished it off.

The rest of my household's gaming time this week was just "a little bit of this" and "a little bit of that" here and there, so I think that about covers all the major gaming news for this week! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Yeah, I know how annoying that can be...

http://www.anders.sfks.se/mp3/send_in_the_oboe.mp3

Oh well, I'd better stick to my alto sax. For the record, I sold the oboe again shortly after my futile attempts to get any sound out of it.

^Whoa, you're an oboist? Cool!

Heh, yeah I've been playing oboe for a few years now and it's a pain of an instrument but I love the sound of it when it plays fine. Got a Yamaha YOB-441 which ran me ~$3300, but I like it a good bit - huge upgrade over my old oboe, a Selmer 1492B which was sub-$1000 and sounded like a kazoo at best. With reeds, I have two types in the pictures - the tube ones are these "Emerald" ones which I only buy at the music shop when I have literally nothing else to play on as they barely work if at all. They're $10.50 a piece, and aren't good. Since I don't have stuff to make my own right now (Ran out of cane and had to spend $200 on more cane, bit of money but in the end it really saves a good bit) I bought the two in the plastic cases which are $31.50 shipped a pop but I've never had a dud since they're all "Hand-adjusted" or whatever.

post-39575-0-50878400-1464033093_thumb.jpg post-39575-0-43503900-1464033444_thumb.jpg

(Yeah I know the picture with the oboe is upside down, but I don't feel like going to my PC to flip it and I can never figure which side of the phone goes up when I take pics lol)

In the context of game stuff, here's a bit more time for the TI-99

TI-99/4:

Tunnels of Doom - 42 minutes

Tunnels of Doom is good fun, it's fairly simple to learn and I like the RPG/Fantasy stuff a good bit, as I play lots of D&D and all that. Definitely a game I'll be giving more time for the next week of the tracker.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 4

With the risk of getting way off topic, I bought my instrument when the local music school had a sale on "instruments beyond repair". I paid 300 SEK ~= $36 in today's exchange rate. Then I bought a reed for 1/3 of that amount. A friend of mine who is a professional oboist, got to investigate the instrument deemed beyond repair, and besides a pad here and there that may need replacing, and perhaps straightening a rod or two, it was a fully playable student instrument. He got another friend, professional saxophonist who had bought a second hand oboe for 10 times as much, and that instrument was in far worse condition than this one. Eventually though, the music school suddenly got more oboe students than they had instruments for, so I sold it back to them for what I once paid, and they got to do those small fixes to make it fully playable.

For the record, the music school also had saxophones that were "beyond repair" which they sold for $36 each. Those were grabbed by music school teachers before the sale opened to the public. I've heard some of them handed in the instruments to be fixed up and sold for about ten times the amount, sheer profit. Well, I suppose they should have some benefit for having an often underpaid job at odd hours and sometimes lots of overtime.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 21, running from May 16 - 22. We logged 3650 minutes of eligible play, playing 58 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 948

2. Final Doom (PC (DOS)) - 319

3. Pokemon Yellow (Game Boy) - 312

4. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 187

5. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System) - 182

6. Silent Hunter (PC (DOS)) - 126

7. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 95

8. Sonic Blast (Sega Master System) - 94

9. Piggy Bank (Intellivision) - 90

9. Duck Tales (NES/Famicom) - 90

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 948

2. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 187

3. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 95

4. Piggy Bank (Intellivision) - 90

5. Galaga (Arcade) - 65

6. Choplifter (Apple II) - 45

7. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 42

8. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 40

9. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 30

10. Rally-X (Arcade) - 25

10. Aquaventure (Atari 2600) - 25

10. Atlantis (Atari 5200) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1286)

2. PC (DOS) (471)

3. Sega Master System (383)

4. Game Boy (372)

5. NES/Famicom (302)

6. Arcade (145)

7. SNES (115)

8. Dreamcast (105)

9. Intellivision (90)

10. Genesis (83)

It's a runaway for Kaboom this week, with all three #1 spots going to the bomb-tossing bonanza and its host platform.

Lower on the charts, though, there are some interesting close rases, with Final Doom just edging out Pokemon Yellow, and the Final Doom/Silent Hunter duo holding off the SMS and Game Boy to cement DOS as the week's #2 system.

No new entries in the 1000-minute club, but a major milestone approaches for one of our tracked games...will the summer season arrest its progress, or will it crack the code, protocol, or what-have-you to reach new heights? Only time will tell.

• Like 6

As it looks, this will be a week of zero gaming for me. While I did receive a couple of games on Friday (*), they'll have to wait until next week to play through.

(*) Despite I paid within three minutes after the auction was closed, the seller for some reason withheld or refused to ship the games. After a month, I got fed up and filed a case with eBay. Two days later, the seller finally decided to ship the games, which arrived from Italy to Sweden in three days. There was zero communication and grossly overpriced shipping costs, so no wonder I gave low scores on the detailed rankings for communication, shipping costs and delivery time. Not that it really matters if it is a seller who already got a lot of high scores, but it is my personal satisfaction.

• Like 4

Here is what I have played this week. I was in a mame/aecade frenzy.

NES:

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros: 40 Minutes

Super Mario Bros. YY (Rom Hack): 60 Minutes

Super Mario Bros: 90 Minutes

Castlevania: 50 Minutes

Duck Hunt:

Arcade/Mame:

Mario Bros: 25 Minutes

Star Wars The Arcade Game: 15 Minutes

Pole Position: 15 Minutes

Tempest: 6 Minutes

Donkey Kong: 15 Minutes

Tron: 5 Minutes

Lunar Rescue: 8 Minutes

King and Balloon: 10 Minutes

The Simpsons: 60 Minutes

TMNT: Turtles in Time: 50 Minutes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 40 Minutes

Toki: 30 Minutes
  • Like 5

Atari 2600

Breakout: 36 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 203 min

PC (Windows 95)

Grim Fandango: 132 min

Paddle Weeks have started in the 2600 High Score Club. Oh the Joy! Oh the pain! I love these most awesome controllers mankind has ever conceived. Problem is: you have to have the game and real hardware. With Breakout this week, that's not a big deal. Next week, however, is Solar Storm. The PAL version is pretty rare, and I don't think I have it in my collection. So that means emulation and mouse control for me. Bad news.

Did a few more war patrols in Silent Hunter and made considerable progress in Grim Fandango. Got stuck for about half an hour on a particular, timing related puzzle I couldn't quite remember. I'm very happy that I resisted the urge to check a walkthrough, because in the end, I did solve it legit. I wasn't in a hurry anyway, because the scenery on the island at the edge of the world is... well, let's quote Manny Calavera himself: "Es grande!" .

I'm about 3/4 through the game now and can start looking forward to the grand finale.

• Like 5