IGNORED

.XEX files

Koji77

1. Use any ATR creator on PC (for example make atr) - simply create ATR on density for your Disk Drive

2. Put in xex files

3. Initialize it with any DOS or disk inicjalizer (for example MyDOS - run from othr atr in emulator, put in atr file and use option H) or Haos Inicjalizer

4. Transfer it to real disk drive - any multidisc copier (sector copy 4 for example) - drive 1 real drive, drive 2 ape with created atr, copy disk

That's all.

On Mac OS X I use Atari800MacX to create a blank atr, initialise it with the emulator and just drag and drop the .xex files on it.

Or I use makeATR in the commandline (Terminal) to create an ATR from a XEX-fiel (which ist an EXE file, but Windows uses that extension too, so someone changed it to XEX)

• 5 months later...

No - you certainly can use APE to load xex files. Point a directory to drive 1, rather than an ATR. A loader will appear when booting the Atari, and you can load executables that way. Unless they require a DOS.

• Like 1

On my Mac, SIO2OSX directory mounting seems broken on newer OSX versions. I use a command line utility called "dir2atr" to take a directory full of XEX files and generate an ATR image. I can also use it to generate bootable images for MyDOS and MyPicoDOS loader.

Most of the time I just copy the XEX files from a non-bootable ATR to a partition on my IDEPlus though. With the SIO2SD on my 400, I just dump them in a directory on the SD card.

On my Mac, SIO2OSX directory mounting seems broken on newer OSX versions. I use a command line utility called "dir2atr" to take a directory full of XEX files and generate an ATR image. I can also use it to generate bootable images for MyDOS and MyPicoDOS loader.

Most of the time I just copy the XEX files from a non-bootable ATR to a partition on my IDEPlus though. With the SIO2SD on my 400, I just dump them in a directory on the SD card.

I haven't personally used a Mac with APE or similar Atari interfaces, but I do know that starting with El Capitan, Apple disabled certain features at the command line level (which is why I still use Yosemite on my Macs and likely won't move past them).

In any case, maybe the following link will shed some light on your issue?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2988096/mac-os-x/sorry-unix-fans-os-x-el-capitan-kills-root.html

--Tim

I haven't personally used a Mac with APE or similar Atari interfaces, but I do know that starting with El Capitan, Apple disabled certain features at the command line level (which is why I still use Yosemite on my Macs and likely won't move past them).

Which command line features would that be?

Which command line features would that be?

I personally never spend any time in terminal mode on the Mac, so I'm not the best person to ask. However, I do know that several of my trusted Mac softwares became nonfunctional due to the way El Capitan changed access to lower level softwares. For me, it was far more practical just to return back to Yosemite since the software developers plainly said that they would no longer develop their software for Macs due to the restrictions.

I did find some additional info that might help elaborate the changes, tho:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193368/what-is-the-rootless-feature-in-el-capitan-really

--Tim

Edit: I should add that it's possible, isn't it, that the Mac version of your software is accessing the Mac system in a way that places it under incompatible? Did it work under Yosemite?

Edit #2: This is actually from the link above. If you want to test whether the security changes of El Capitan forward are causing the problem, you can do the following, see if the software works, and then change the Mac setting back as shown below:

If you don't want these restrictions -- either because you want to modify your system beyond what this allows, or because you're developing & debugging something like kexts that aren't practical under these restrictions, you can turn SIP off. Currently this requires rebooting into recovery mode and running the command csrutil disable (and you can similarly reenable it with csrutil enable).

Edited by Timothy Kline

You can always disable SIP.

BTW, the problem is nothing new for anyone following Apple.

They never cared for compability if it would hinder progress.

And, any developer who would read the announcements Apple made a year before El Capitan about enforcing allowed library locations, something that was known for years, they would had long enough time to change their software.

It is nothing, that Apple forgot to tell people until release day.

• Like 1

No, the directory mounting in SIO2OSX was broken long before El Capitan for me. Especially if I tried to copy files from a mounted dir to an HDD partition or my 1050 using SDX.... which is the whole reason I wanted to use it anyway. I was hoping to use the functionality in a similar fashion to a network share but it never worked out that way which is why I compiled 'dir2atr'.

SIP is easy to disable. All my self-compiled stuff is stored in /usr/local anyway.

My primary 8-bit rig is a 576K 800XL w/ IDEPlus and a pile of SIO gear. The SIO2PC is just used for file transfers, printing and occasionally making a real floppy from an ATR image. I usually use the IDEPlus XEX/ATR loader or SDX to boot. Just wanted to use mounted directories to make transferring files and ATR images from the mac to my SDX partitions easier without having to use an ATR disk image as a middleman. For some reason it stalls after transferring so many sectors.

Have you fellow Mac users tries RespeQt? No problems under El Cap at all for me. Haven't yet tried it with Sierra (that's later today). And no problem to boot an .XEX file directly on real hardware, no need to put it onto a floppy or anything.

Have you fellow Mac users tries RespeQt? No problems under El Cap at all for me. Haven't yet tried it with Sierra (that's later today). And no problem to boot an .XEX file directly on real hardware, no need to put it onto a floppy or anything.

Not lately, I had a build of AspeQT running for a little bit a while back but it had some warts and issues here and there. I don't really run XEX files directly via SIO2PC anyway. I transfer them over to my IDEPlus. RespeQT is a cool project though. I just prefer the native app approach with SIO2OSX and its extensive device emulation.

Does RespeQT do SDFS folder imaging yet? That would be enough for me to have a copy of that installed as well.