IGNORED

How cool is this thing? Atari PC3

82-T/A

52 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Cool, but not at the price they were asking imo.

You are quoting a 5 year old post... 

Anyway, i opened the case, breaking the guarantee seal :) and there was evidence that the vertical 3.5" drive was not a factory option. Metal was sawn and bent, on the plastic cover there are sawmarks and bent metal as well. So i guess this was done by hand by the (dutch) importer as an option, since it was officially sealed.

CEF8DA3C-473A-47CB-972C-D2A3559BED4C.jpeg

5B044DBE-2DFF-474A-9075-EFE11B46E864.jpeg

85E4579E-3FF7-462B-B43D-9B154157C8BB.jpeg

I get the impression that some of you here see this and wonder why people are buying some no-brand ibm pc clones and showing them on an Atari forum...

Well, this is an actual Atari PC from the late '80s. Not just the monitor (and keyboard), the pc itself is ATARI and should be considered a collectors item.

Besides that, i think the design is great. This is one of the best looking pc's from these years. It would be even better if they had designed a matching monitor as well.

21 hours ago, jowi said:

You are quoting a 5 year old post... 

Anyway, i opened the case, breaking the guarantee seal :) and there was evidence that the vertical 3.5" drive was not a factory option. Metal was sawn and bent, on the plastic cover there are sawmarks and bent metal as well. So i guess this was done by hand by the (dutch) importer as an option, since it was officially sealed.

CEF8DA3C-473A-47CB-972C-D2A3559BED4C.jpeg

5B044DBE-2DFF-474A-9075-EFE11B46E864.jpeg

85E4579E-3FF7-462B-B43D-9B154157C8BB.jpeg

True.  Admittingly a minor gaffe on my part, but wasn't a cool price then nor is it now either imo.

7 hours ago, jowi said:

I get the impression that some of you here see this and wonder why people are buying some no-brand ibm pc clones and showing them on an Atari forum...

Well, this is an actual Atari PC from the late '80s. Not just the monitor (and keyboard), the pc itself is ATARI and should be considered a collectors item.

Besides that, i think the design is great. This is one of the best looking pc's from these years. It would be even better if they had designed a matching monitor as well.

The only thing unique is that it is a PC clone done by Atari.  Apart from that, I would argue there is nothing really "collectors item" about it.

7 hours ago, jowi said:

Only the PC1 has distinct Atari stylings.   The other models look like generic PC clones to me.

Yes, compatibility of course was highest priority. Although Commodore had some means to make own hardware additions, those would've been proprietary and had very little support unless they changed their marketing plans to put more efforts into selling PCs. By 1985/86 they considered it a ploy to be into PC compatibles at all, and later on I think they drove most of the wheels into the Amiga grove.

21 hours ago, doctorclu said:

How cool is the Atari PC?   About as cool as the Portfolio... pretty cool.

Even cooler is the case design of the Atari ABC computers...

abc386.jpg

I've always wanted to put a 486 or Pentium motherboard in one of these.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Even cooler is the case design of the Atari ABC computers...

abc386.jpg

I've always wanted to put a 486 or Pentium motherboard in one of these.

Ok hadn't heard of the ABC computers.  Were they another 386?

On 10/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, doctorclu said:

Ok hadn't heard of the ABC computers.  Were they another 386?

Yeah, they came out around 1992 and they were 386 clones.  Aside from the cases they didn't stand out from the other PC's...

• Like 1