IGNORED

Missing Arcade-Classics on the 7800

Mister-VCS

I really need to hear the Spyhunter theme song through a 7800 before I die....

You want to hear that playing through the TIA???

The only sounds the TIA could probably do close to the arcade original would be the slipping noise effect and the crash/explosion.

For a 7800 version to replicate the arcade sound experience, I guess you could go POKEY+TIA, support XBOARD and use Dual POKEY, use a DPC+, or go the XM route with its POKEY/TIA/YM2151 option.

The A8 version looks decent it sounds like it takes advantage of the POKEY far better what was done with the SID on the C64 version [that was apparently a lazy port].

Now I'm watching a video of the alleged A8 port to the 5200 and the graphics appear to be tweaked to better match the arcade original which if true is an amazing feat. Supposedly it's the version sold by Good Deal Games. No word on whether a Paddle Modded Controller would work well on it. I'm imagining that could be pulled off well if the [top] Left fire button was for the guns, the [top] Right fire button used for Gas, and you had a Toggle Switch for the Shifter [which most people add to the Paddle Mods to be used with Pole Position]. Unfortunately, unless you could somehow get the bottom fire buttons to work independently, you'd have to go to the Keypad for Brake and Oil Slick.

A game pad with shoulder buttons would definitely work for a lot of those but it would have to be programmed especially for a hypothetical 5200 hack or a 7800 version.

Or…someone could get a set of peddles, slap a DB9 - or DB15 for the 5200 - on it and plug it into the second controller port and map the functions to either the fire buttons, to the Paddle lines, or the directional movements of the joystick...

Edited by Lynxpro

The only sounds the TIA could probably do close to the arcade original would be the slipping noise effect and the crash/explosion.

For a 7800 version to replicate the arcade sound experience, I guess you could go POKEY+TIA, support XBOARD and use Dual POKEY, use a DPC+, or go the XM route with its POKEY/TIA/YM2151 option.

I know it Lynx, I know it, and Jinks already pointed out if I wanted that I could just pop the 2600 version in--same dif. I really just want more good 7800 games period, and when I think Spy Hunter, I think Peter Gunn (who doesn't?).

Frankly with the talk about Mad Planets, I was already thinking about how I could tie together (in the most basic sense, mount them cleanly in/on a single piece) a driving controller and a joystick. Mostly because I like silly projects, I'm probably going to do it even though there'll likely never be anything to use it on. I've always got spare wood and controllers to sacrifice. It could also work on Spyhunter.

• Like 1

The TIA is actually capable of doing quite a lot. The problem with it is that getting it to do anything requires extra coding since it only understands very raw commands. POKEY, and other chips, have more complicated instruction sets that take a lot of processes off the main processor. In other words, to tell POKEY to play a little tune, you just send along the notes and the voice you're using. In TIA, your program has to tell it what notes and voices are in the first place.

• Like 1

Bubble

Gyruss

Gaplus

Qix

Rush'n Attack

Bombjack

Bosconian

Gradius

Trog

Snow Brothers

Super Off Road

Bubble Bobble

Crystal Castles

Dragon Spirit

Elevator Action

Rolling Thunder

Mappy

Mr. Do

Shao Lin's road

Roc'n Rope

Pac-Land

Circus Charlie

Time Pilot

Twin Bee

Congo Bongo

Pepper 2

Bump'n Jump

Road Fighter

Star Castle - Yes, I know the 2600 a homebrew version. I wanted this for years as a 7800 game

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 3

I know it Lynx, I know it, and Jinks already pointed out if I wanted that I could just pop the 2600 version in--same dif. I really just want more good 7800 games period, and when I think Spy Hunter, I think Peter Gunn (who doesn't?).

Frankly with the talk about Mad Planets, I was already thinking about how I could tie together (in the most basic sense, mount them cleanly in/on a single piece) a driving controller and a joystick. Mostly because I like silly projects, I'm probably going to do it even though there'll likely never be anything to use it on. I've always got spare wood and controllers to sacrifice. It could also work on Spyhunter.

Atari/GCC Nightmare also uses that controller arrangement. :)

You want proof that the TIA can do some amazing sound?

Get the Frenzy/Berzerk homebrew.

True. But it can't do better than POKEY.

And if you really want to hear amazing, and quite a programming feat at that, is to listen to SID-ish music created using the GTIA.

Doesn't Pole Position 2 negate the need for Pole Position, seeing as PP2 has the original Fuji track?

Just want to play a more arcade-perfect version of Pole Position on my 7800 (with POKEY-sound) - and a good version of Defender and Defender II/Stargate.

UK-RetroGamer magazine recommended the Colecovison (Atarisoft) version of Defender - but forget it! Looks like Defender, but it is impossible to control the spaceship.

Emphasis on "missing", there are some often underrated Arcade titles that could really shine on the 7800 and have never been released on any other console:

Monster Bash 1982 Sega*

Zoo Keeper 1982 Taito

Pandora's Palace 1984 Konami / Interlogic

Do! Run Run 1984 Universal**

Jumping Jack 1984 Universal

*Sega Master System's 1986 Ghost House is an unofficial sequel.
**Amiga, Atari ST, and MSX computers have ports, but nothing for consoles.
  • Like 2