IGNORED

Help with my Jag CD

roquer.jordi

I recently purchased my second Jag CD (new and boxed) and when I turn on, doesnt work. The thing is, disc spins and the unit is firmly atached and i can run for instance tempest 2000 soundtrack and hear music and see VLM, but none of the games does. Some games black screen, others crashes and message appears "to many disc errors"

First i thought it was cd laser or laser transport but when I put a cartdrige in the jag cd slot doesnt work either! So its a problem with contacts?...Even if its a new jag cd i need to clean contacts? When laser doesnt work, cartdriges could work?

Im very frustrated because this units arent cheap and right now i dont know what to do (ask for a refund, try to replace laser transport)

Someone can tell me some advice?.

Thanks Atari comunity and sorry about my poor english.

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk

Since you're having trouble with cartridges in the CD slot, I'd assume you've got a bad connection between the two units for sure. Clean all edge connectors and reseat the unit. Pretty common for a little oxidation to build up on contacts over time. New especially, since its been sitting.

• Like 2

Since you're having trouble with cartridges in the CD slot, I'd assume you've got a bad connection between the two units for sure. Clean all edge connectors and reseat the unit. Pretty common for a little oxidation to build up on contacts over time. New especially, since its been sitting.

Im going to clean contacts right now with a bit of alcohol and see what happens...

I had similar issues but for me it was solder joining 2 contacts on the memory track cartridge. Once I removed the solder then it worked.

This is different to your description but if you had a faulty cartridge slot then the problem might look the same.

As sh3 said above though, I would seek replacement/refund first if it was sold as working.

Although a quick clean would be worth it.

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 2

Im going to clean contacts right now with a bit of alcohol and see what happens...

Good idea. BTW: outside of maybe cleaning the laser lens with a Q-Tip and alcohol, I wasn't suggesting you open her up and perform any surgery.

sh3-rg is right... if you bought this new from a reputable seller/store that has more, should be their responsibility to get you a replacement. But they might *not* if you tinker around with it too much. Good luck!

• Like 2

You have to take the bridge board in the cd out, clean contacts with a eraser, then clean with rubbing alcohol + qtip. Clean the cart port on the jag. Also clean the cd head the same way, sans the eraser.... If that does not work, send to best electronics for repair.

Thanks Paul for the advice. You mean open CD Unit to clean contacts with an eraser? Sorry I'm from Spain and I lost in translation. I have cleaned cart port with alcohol (credit card wrapped with a tissue) and contacts of CD unit with q-tips but no exit. My next move is a refund or an exchange of the unit. I will post how this history progresses...maybe someone can be interested ;)

I have been looking B.E Web and they seem pretty nice guys. I'm going to send and email for gather information about his repair service.

This sounds like more like a hardware problem than a dirty connector issue. 99% of the time dirty connectors will result in repeated red screens of death or of the icon about plugging the CD into a power outlet.

Finally , I managed to get the problem fixed !! It was a difficult problem to diagnose. It was the flat CD connector with the PCB , it was a bit removed and when I pushed back in, it worked. Very happy! Thanks for all the help!!

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 3