IGNORED

problem with sears heavy sixer

bradhig

Maybe if you had actually stated something like, "I am incapable of doing this work. Are there any people willing to do the repair work for me?" you would have gotten offers.

Coming here after the fact and throwing a virtual temper tantrum is not constructive, nor will it fix your machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe if you had actually stated something like, "I am incapable of doing this work. Are there any people willing to do the repair work for me?" you would have gotten offers.

Coming here after the fact and throwing a virtual temper tantrum is not constructive, nor will it fix your machine.

I was wondering if one of the OP's "buddies" got into his AA account. The tone changed so quickly. I guess frustration mixed with youth can cause that.

Otherwise, yeah, I have to admit that I would shy away from helping at this point.

Even if my best friend reacted this way, I'd probably have to smack him upside the head a time or two before I helped him. :)

I was wondering if one of the OP's "buddies" got into his AA account. The tone changed so quickly. I guess frustration mixed with youth can cause that.

Otherwise, yeah, I have to admit that I would shy away from helping at this point.

Even if my best friend reacted this way, I'd probably have to smack him upside the head a time or two before I helped him. :)

It changed cause no one responded. After the voltage regulator was replaced there was a wobby outline of the pacman screen and then it died. Nothing happens when I turn it on nothing appears on screen. I am not a kid I am 42 years old. I came here for help and no one wants to help me anymore.

No one got into my account but me. Look I suffer from Asperger's syndrome ,anxiety ,and depression thats why I act the way I do. It's soo easy for you normal people to say some kid got on my account ,but you don't know what it's like when you brain is a mental trainwreck.

Edited by bradhig

At this point the problem could be anything. You received good advice above - ask at a local retro game or hobby store if they know of anyone local who can look at it and try to help. Good luck.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Stay cool man.. and stop before you do any more damage. I hire out a mechanic to do work on cars and contractors to do work on the home, from time to time.. And while I have the knowledge to repair a camera I don't have all the specific manuals and parts and procedures. So rather than going at it blindly and fucking it up more, I called upon the manufacturer to do it for me. You need to slow down. Stop. Put everything aside and hire out someone to do this for you. There is no rush and the damage doesn't look bad. I've fixed things 1000% worse.

I would offer, but be warned it won't be cheap and I do not work at lightning speed because I have a lot of stuff in progress. While my technical expertise is free there's still parts and shipping. I'm not near your hometown.

Whomever you do work with, be sure they're either skilled in VCS repair OR have at a minimum a technician's degree backed by practical experience. Ideally both.

The vintage game shops around here don't repair systems.

You might have to ask them if they know of people locally who do. I would be shocked if they knew no one. Most places have a few "regulars" and at least a handful of them will be handy with a soldering iron and familiar with the system.

Another option is to check your local CraigsList for people advertising that they buy or sell arcade cabinets. Very often those fellows are just the type of person you are looking for. You may ned to make several calls, but I guarantee you there's someone not too far away who will be able to help if you can find him or her.

• Like 1

You might have to ask them if they know of people locally who do. I would be shocked if they knew no one. Most places have a few "regulars" and at least a handful of them will be handy with a soldering iron and familiar with the system.

Another option is to check your local CraigsList for people advertising that they buy or sell arcade cabinets. Very often those fellows are just the type of person you are looking for. You may ned to make several calls, but I guarantee you there's someone not too far away who will be able to help if you can find him or her.

This is very solid advice! You could also try googling the name of your city and electronics repair. Another good source is hobby shops. A handy person should be able to get you fixed up.

You could ask your local college or trade school and see if the instructors know someone. Just don't let the freshmen work on it! Maybe there's an arcade around your area you could ask. Arcades have to have someone to handle tech work.

Alternatively you could just buy another heavy sixer and swap out the guts into your sears housing. Then put aside the old innards till you come across someone knowledgeable enough to conduct repairs. Most of all don't get bent out of shape. As time rolls on more and more advanced technicians will be needed to fix these beasts. It's not just mechanical switches contact cleaning, but components that are falling out of spec through age - those are more difficult to fix.

And, today, electronics repair beyond wire-splicing and contact cleaning is in danger of becoming a lost art. Everybody has their face buried in those stupid-making smartphones and find the art of electronics repair boring.

ADDED: Most of the game stores in my area are full of dumbshit kids that can only tell you to try a different outlet or different tv. They wouldn't know a test probe if it stuck'em in the ass.

Edited by Keatah

I know one pin on the end of one end of the ribbon cable is half broken and one pin on the riot chip is half broken from when I tested the system without each chip. Also the chip sockets started to come out when I removed the chips and I pushed the chip sockets back in. Could that be the problem?

I have pesco in and it's trying to display the screen here. I would like to try and fix it cause I broke it. Maybe I should get a new ribbon and riot chip. I like watching one guy on youtube fix up old console tvs and radios and sometimes wish I could do that. I would like to make an atari 2600 game but don't know how.

post-2717-0-96063400-1454118101_thumb.jpg

Nope. They are in correct positions.

I have seen the plastic socket frames lift off. You must be careful not to crush any of the contacts when pushing them back down. if you do, then you must replace the socket. (been there, done that)

You really will not make any progress unless you repair the things you know are broken first.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing major for those interested. The voltage regulator was good it just needed to be soldered on and some traces repaired on it. I also ended up having to remove the old push pin connectors off the switchboard and main pcb boards and replace them with a more reliable rainbow wire harness from another parts sixer I had laying around. Last was that I replaced the power switch and gave the entire thing a good once over with tuner cleaner to the switches and cart port plus the bottom shell a soapy warm bath. Good as new and I'm glad Bradhig has his sixer working again.