IGNORED

Announcing Berzerk for CV!

Kamshaft

65,000 mazes? really cool. Must be a random build of some sort.

Not sure about the arcade but in the atari 2600 version a significant amount of the fun we had was with trying to get the laser blasts to go through our hollow neck,

we found you could even sneak up on a non moving robot and move the characters head right up between his legs and leave again as long as they didn't move. It's almost like skateboarding, just trying things out.

Options suchs as no otto, destructable otto, indestrucable otto

Anyways. Looks great. If you were looking for a few extra ideas to throw in there i'm sure we could pile them on.

Edited by digress

This looks awesome and I hope this is offered as a cart with box and manual, I will be all in on this!!! Would be awesome to finally have this and a Frenzy sitting side by side on the shelf, ready for play!! Thank you for the update!!

I already finished the box art and cart label, but Collectorvision will have to work out a licensing deal with the rights owner or we’ll just have to rename it to something else. So we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Still very early.

This looks awesome and I hope this is offered as a cart with box and manual, I will be all in on this!!! Would be awesome to finally have this and a Frenzy sitting side by side on the shelf, ready for play!! Thank you for the update!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

called it "Bizarre" after the canadian tv show. First place I ever seen Super Dave Osborune.

I already finished the box art and cart label, but Collectorvision will have to work out a licensing deal with the rights owner or we’ll just have to rename it to something else. So we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Still very early.

I finally have a nice relaxing weekend off at our holiday home after many months of work and family health issues.

So I decided to revisit a home brew development project for the Colecovision that I had not touched for a while, a port of the arcade game Berzerk.

The port is running well, the maze is the same as the arcade, including all of the 65k rooms in the same layout.

See a video of the game running here:

The changes since I last shared an update are:

- The player can now fire in all directions (some bugs to iron out)

- The player dies when touching a wall

- The player's fire will stop when hitting walls

Still to do:

- Player fire collision detection with robots

- Robot placement

- Robot movement

- Robot firing

- Scoring

- Title screen, including high score table

- Sound effects

- Speech - yes it will support speech

So far the ROM is coming in at 15k in size, so there is plenty of room in a 32k Rom cartridge for the arcade speech data and an appropriate sample player.

Another update soon.

Looking forward to this! I recently acquired the Electric Adventures Classics cart and really appreciate the original Asteroids and Phoenix/Demon Attack clones.

• Like 1

Did you ever get good pics of a berzerk cab to make a coleco style arcade box?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m always excited for some Berzerk! Now if you can port Space Dungeon right after this! This looks great! It helps further my decision to purchase an Adam Computer.

I had not heard of Space Dungeon, so looked it up immediately. Wow, I am impressed, and yes this would definitely be possible, so it makes me want to get Berzerk finished so I can start work on it!

Twin stick controls will be available for Berzerk as a control option by the way, Would work with them mounted in the roller controller perhaps.

• Like 2

65,000 mazes? really cool. Must be a random build of some sort.

The rooms are procedurally generated, they are calculated by using the player's position (room coords) as the seed.

However the maze layout is not random, it's generated exactly the same way every time.

There's a really nice writeup of the game's programming out there: http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/home/games/berzerk/mazegenerator/code/

• Like 1

I had not heard of Space Dungeon, so looked it up immediately. Wow, I am impressed, and yes this would definitely be possible, so it makes me want to get Berzerk finished so I can start work on it!

Twin stick controls will be available for Berzerk as a control option by the way, Would work with them mounted in the roller controller perhaps.

That would be amazing! Space Dungeon would be an awesome addition to the Coleco/Adam library. Since your already looking at twin sticks Robotron 2084 would also be a great port. The only reason I own a 7800 is to play Robotron 2084. The only reason I am currently purchasing a 5200 is to play Space Dungeon. One of the only reasons I purchased a Vectrex was to play Berzerk( I soon after sold the Vectrex because the port is slow). I don’t care for Robotron on the 8bits. Everything looks fat and the amount of enemies on screen are fewer than the 7800. Somehow it plays fat( It makes sense when compared to a 7800). Anyway, I could sell all of my systems and just use a Coleco Adam computer with a 2600 adapter and call it a day. Now all of my hopes and dreams rest with you, so don’t let me down. And get ready to take my money! This is right up there with how my 2 year old daughter feels about meeting Disney princesses at Disneyland . Edited by adamchevy

• 5 months later...

A little update, Berzerk is still being worked on, I had to take an extended break away from all things due to a major issue with my neck, pain, lost the use of my right arm, unable to walk etc.

The good news is that I had an operation late last year (fusion C6/7, artificial disc C5/6) and I am in a much better way than I was, virtually no pain, I can fully use my right arm again and my energy levels are improving all the time. I still have some walking issues, but hey I am a computer programmer and mostly sit on my back side all the time :)

I have even dusted off all of my titles in progress and have done some code tidy-up on Berzerk to re-familiarize myself with things so I can continue.

More of the collision detection is working and I am looking at starting on placement of the robots and their movement logic, so hopefully I will have an update video to show everyone.

I fully intend on becoming a lot more active this year, so watch this space.

• Like 7