IGNORED

Announcing Berzerk for CV!

Kamshaft

I think he speaks about Alan McNeil , the creator of Berzerk .he dies the 29/12/2017. :( RIP Alan.

Holy Crap!

He helped me with my port of Frenzy / Berzerk on the 7800 (and then the NES). I had no idea he passed. :( RIP Alan.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Latest news!

Berzerk is now officially coming to the ColecoVision
And it is fully liscenced!
That's right, CollectorVision secured the rights to this awesome arcade classic!

More are coming! ;)

Congrats.  I'm sure electricadventures will do us proud.  Really looking forward to this one.

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, the ColecoVision core in the Phoenix has an extension for an advanced audio chip (can't remember the name, and I'm too lazy to check tonight). Can this special audio chip do speech without having to freeze the game to play speech samples? If so, it will make Berzerk even better.  :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

If I remember correctly, the ColecoVision core in the Phoenix has an extension for an advanced audio chip (can't remember the name, and I'm too lazy to check tonight). Can this special audio chip do speech without having to freeze the game to play speech samples? If so, it will make Berzerk even better.  :)

Just my words above.

I also hope the SEX 7264 (89) chip will use the Digital speech in Berzerk, and other games with Digital sound/speech.

?

• 3 weeks later...

A little update, as I was playing with sound for my next Let's Make A Retro Game series anyway, I experimented with voice samples for a while last week.

Not perfect yet but if you want to hear a Colecovision saying "Humanoid" check out my recent general update video here:

View the video on my Youtube Channel here

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Another update, health is stable (including other family members) and I have finally gotten in the position where I am able (and want) to program again.

So to get things going, after finishing off Cavern Fighter ready for Beta testing I moved onto my port of Berzerk which will still work on a stock Colecovision or Adam.

The game play is coming along nicely now, I have made the following changes:

• Speech sample - Robot placement (couple of minor issues to fix)
  • Collision detection between players laser and Robots, scoring and Robot Death animation
  • Screen transition scrolling, with Robots moving as well

To do:

• Robot movement
  • Robot collision with walls
  • Robot shooting and collision detection
  • Evil Otto
  • Remainder of speech samples - manual tuning of existing one
  • High Score Table

Another update soon!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:56 PM, Yurkie said:

Got my Ultimate SD multicart back from repair. Need any BETA testers? This is a very near an dear classic to me.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:50 AM, lawdawg710 said:

Agreed with Yurkie.  If you need BETA testers, I would love to help, this game is very dear to my heart.  Looks great, can't wait to see more updates.

Thanks for the offer guys, but we already have a full set of beta testers for this title.

So updates from the weekend:

- Fix robot explosion offset

- Robots placed in walls removed

- Bonus score when exiting screen after all robots killed

- Added characters for blocked room entrance and life counter. Blocked last entrance, and re-coloured to match current robot colour. Adjusted the position of player on entry to screen.

- Display lives remaining, show bonus once all robots are killed with same text and colour as arcade version.

1843807792_2020-01-26(1).thumb.png.1ac776b596c9cfaa82e001fd6546ca84.png1310282493_2020-01-26(7).thumb.png.8d1eb2b8f611b3b8956e8d6da48c4a9e.png1681276464_2020-01-26(8).thumb.png.0ae3f4a009493cbfed44dd71e43ad6b3.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another update and demo of my official port of the arcade game Berzerk to a standard Colecovision.
#retro #colecovision #berzerk #homebrew #stern #collectorvision

Changes since the last update:
- Robots now start moving
- Robots move in their chosen direction and animate
- Robots can collide and die when they hit walls
- Speech example is now clearer
- Robots speed up as levels progress
- Has placeholder sound for shooting - to be replaced

To do:
- Robot firing
- Adjust robot moving logic
- Allow robots to change direction or stop moving
- Evil Otto!
- Remainder of speech samples and sound effects
- Bug fixes from testing

Another update soon!

• Like 9

Hey guys!  Just an additional update on Berzerk.

See attached is the first draft of the box art cover (it's been done for quite a while)!  However, we are not 100% sure that the Coleco logo will remain on the final product.  But here it is anyways.  The first rough draft!  The arcade machine used in the photo is pboland's cabinet (yes the labels guy!).  Although, Tony has an arcade machine of his own, the art and photography were done months before.  Also, the cartridge label is 60% done (Not that hard to do honestly LOL)

The manual still has to be started, along with all the scoring info and all that.

My primary involvement with the project has been mainly the sprite graphics and animations in the game itself and physical art (box art, manual, etc...).  Man, Tony is just killing it with the game! Only 32K WOW!  Remember guys this is being programmed from scratch!

Additionally Tony and I are committed to make sure this baby is near arcade perfect, at least as much as the Colecovision can handle.

That's it for now.

Kam

Boxart1-low.jpg

Edited by Kamshaft
  • Like 7

So looking back on this project the game was to run on a stock CV with speech and offer advanced speech with an SGM clone. 

Is that still part of the current design of the the game: arcade quality with basic speech on stock CV and enhanced speech for those with an SGM or played on the Phoenix?

24 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

So looking back on this project the game was to run on a stock CV with speech and offer advanced speech with an SGM clone. 

Is that still part of the current design of the the game: arcade quality with basic speech on stock CV and enhanced speech for those with an SGM or played on the Phoenix?

The SGM will NOT be required.  A stock Colecovision is all that will be required to play thus it will play on everything!

Edited by Kamshaft
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kamshaft said:

Hey guys!  Just an additional update on Berzerk.

See attached is the first draft of the box art cover (it's been done for quite a while)!  However, we are not 100% sure that the Coleco logo will remain on the final product.  But here it is anyways.  The first rough draft!  The arcade machine used in the photo is pboland's cabinet (yes the labels guy!).  Although, Tony has an arcade machine of his own, the art and photography were done months before.  Also, the cartridge label is 60% done (Not that hard to do honestly LOL)

The manual still has to be started, along with all the scoring info and all that.

My primary involvement with the project has been mainly the sprite graphics and animations in the game itself and physical art (box art, manual, etc...).  Man, Tony is just killing it with the game! Only 32K WOW!  Remember guys this is being programmed from scratch!

Additionally Tony and I are committed to make sure this baby is near arcade perfect, at least as much as the Colecovision can handle.

That's it for now.

Kam

Boxart1-low.jpg

Simply stunning!  Can’t wait for this!  Will it have voice synthesis?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another quick update of my Berzerk port for the original Colecovision.

• Added a graphic to the main title screen based on the Marquee
  • Laid out the High Score screen with any current high scores (added some initial static scores)
  • Demo mode now displays robots and they move and shoot
  • Fixed a couple of bugs in the game play (not shown)

Next it's onto:

• Evil Otto
  • Collision detection tweaks and adjustments
  • Robot AI bug fixes and adjustments
  • High Score entry
  • Play Testing!!
  • Like 5