IGNORED

Broken Coleco no video, help needed.

cdn2a

U5 pin 15 must be clocking to zero, it means it's decoding ROM.

pin 12 also must be clocking, it means it is accesing RAM.

pin 11 also must clock a little, trying to access ROM cartridge.

U6 pin 9 must active briefly to zero, it means it reset the PSG chip to silence.

A Frogger cartridge is a must, because it starts playing music without any activity on your side.

Audio out in pin 7 of SN76489.

Wow your on it Nanochess!! I thought we had it fixed... but sadly no...

Ok, when I looked, I had voltage on pin 12 of U5 even with power off. (2.5).

So I changed U5, and now there appears to be no voltage leaking.

It has the same voltage readings as the working one.

pin 11 starts low goes high and stays high.

pin 12 starts low, goes high at power on, then blips low, but stays high. (same as working one)

pin 15 clocks,

I dont have a frogger cart but I'll fix that soon.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Ok Nanochess,

I dont have Frogger, but I do have a cart called Facemaker. which skips the BIOS and plays music on startup.

This works! I hear the tone! So to me that means the CPU, SRAM, Clock circuit etc are all working properly.

I'm dealing with a video issue? If I go straight to pin 36 of the VDP there is no B/W image. Yet if I check the VDP

on the other machine, it works fine.

I know the RF board is good, since I know if I plug expansion module #1 in I get video.

So do you think the issue is between the CPU and VDP?

Ideas?

• Like 1

Your the @#%#@$ man dude!

I found 2 broken traces between VDP and CPU pin 19 & 20. (Most likely was me when I socketed the chips.)

I have it back up and running!!

I believe it was bad Vram issue to begin with. 2 fried chips.

Thanks for your help guys!

Goes to show if you work at it, they can be fixed!

• Like 6

Your the @#%#@$ man dude!

I found 2 broken traces between VDP and CPU pin 19 & 20. (Most likely was me when I socketed the chips.)

I have it back up and running!!

I believe it was bad Vram issue to begin with. 2 fried chips.

Thanks for your help guys!

Goes to show if you work at it, they can be fixed!

Great to hear you got it going!!

Hey dude, here it is...

You sir are a bad ass :) . Like chart45 mentioned above, at this point you should just do the F18A upgrade. I promise you will not regret it! I'm still blown away by it even after all this time. In my user profile you can see a link to how I did the F18A upgrade to my ADAM.

• 1 month later...

Ok I replaced my rf chip the lm1889 or whatever and still not working. With the Yurkie composite mod gets a rolling color picture and no sound. Sound does work from c88 if I have the video from the vdp composite to the tv hooked up.

When thr last dk man dies the game does not go back to the title screen?? but my fire buttons dont work eithetlr( have chips for those too)

Junk it? I dont know having trouble finding the composite mod directions again...

• 3 months later...

I'm having an issue getting my video mod to output. I have to put my finger on one of the capacitors on the video out mod pcb to get it to output right. It's not a bad capacitor either. It's like a grounding or interference issue but not sure.

• 1 month later...

I'm having an issue getting my video mod to output. I have to put my finger on one of the capacitors on the video out mod pcb to get it to output right. It's not a bad capacitor either. It's like a grounding or interference issue but not sure.

Mine does the same. If I touch the capacitor the picture kinda flickers on and off.

I was kinda hoping something in the coleco would kill me so I would not be compelled to work on it..

I ended up hanging a paper clip off the board and it acted as an antenna it seems. Idk why it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting another coleco.. This one I will one day put the board on the clay pigeon thrower and shoot it with a 12 gauge 3" mag.
  • Like 3