IGNORED

Open fantasizing - What games you'd like to see made for the CV?

Tornadoboy

Interestingly, a drop-in SD card replacement for the laser disc players in Dragon's Lair and similar arcade machines has recently been released. From what I vaguely remember, the ColecoVision should have the in-built capability to overlay its graphics over video, so some type of Palcom MSX-esque laserdisc style experience might be possible. I agree, though, that it's extraordinarily unlikely that someone with the skill to make this happen would make this happen.

It's really neat how new tech is refreshing old stuff.

Flash cards instead of ROM cartridges and disks is beautiful. Old hardware, new storage media.

Would be cool to see some more 80's computer games on the CV like those Epyx games. Some of these would be impossible to port though.

- Aliens

- Castle Wolfenstein

- Karateka

- Space Taxi

- Temple of Apshai

- Conan

- Bruce Lee

- Dino Eggs

- Ghostbusters

- GI Joe

- Beach Head

- Raid Over Moscow

- Realm of Impossibility

- Skate or Die

- Sword of Fargoal

- Super Zaxxon

Some more obscure games like Pogo Joe and Forbidden Forest would be cool too.

I wonder if Ultima I or II can be done on a CV? :P

Ghostbusters, via an MSX conversion, is coming (via the SGM). I can't think of any others on that list that would have trouble being ported with someone talented (and interested) enough (and in fact those with MSX versions already would probably be workable with the SGM), although I'd hate to see the speech-based games not have speech.

I would think at least an Ultima I could done, maybe even up to an Ultima III. The ColecoVision did get Lord of the Dungeon and Black Onyx (MSX homebrew conversion), so there's some precedent for higher complexity RPG-style stuff.

I personally wouldn't care for ports/conversions that really aren't well suited to the hardware, though. For instance, while I respect the idea of the Ghostbusters port, it's far enough below the C-64 version that I so fondly remember that it registers little interest with me.

I would think at least an Ultima I could done, maybe even up to an Ultima III. The ColecoVision did get Lord of the Dungeon and Black Onyx (MSX homebrew conversion), so there's some precedent for higher complexity RPG-style stuff.

Ah, hopefully someone out there can make that a reality.

I wouldn't mind Ultima I at least. The CV keypad can be used for Inventory, Weapons, Talk, Enter/Exit etc. How cool. :)

Ah, hopefully someone out there can make that a reality.

I wouldn't mind Ultima I at least. The CV keypad can be used for Inventory, Weapons, Talk, Enter/Exit etc. How cool. :)

It could, but there probably aren't quite enough keys (there's a brilliant unofficial version of Ultima IV for the iPad that does put all commands just a touch away on-screen; that's always been my favorite implementation of a somewhat unwieldly interface). It's probably better just to have the streamlined interface of the various Ultima versions for button-limited consoles like the NES, SMS, GameBoy, etc. Otherwise I suppose you could use the keypad, but then certain keys you'd want to serve multiple functions, which you could change with each press, then have a confirmation key.

It could, but there probably aren't quite enough keys (there's a brilliant unofficial version of Ultima IV for the iPad that does put all commands just a touch away on-screen; that's always been my favorite implementation of a somewhat unwieldly interface). It's probably better just to have the streamlined interface of the various Ultima versions for button-limited consoles like the NES, SMS, GameBoy, etc. Otherwise I suppose you could use the keypad, but then certain keys you'd want to serve multiple functions, which you could change with each press, then have a confirmation key.

A custom made (prototype) ColecoVision Keyboard adapter still exist

This's something we're interested to release ;)

There's so many games that could be made for the CV using a keyboard

• Like 1

Interestingly, a drop-in SD card replacement for the laser disc players in Dragon's Lair and similar arcade machines has recently been released

Yeah but the problem with that is it's like $400 :(

Might be worth it if you own an actual DL coin op or other laser game, but I can't see anyone that desperate to play them on CV.

Edited by Tornadoboy

Yeah but the problem with that is it's like $400 :(

Might be worth it if you own an actual DL coin op or other laser game, but I can't see anyone that desperate to play them on CV.

Understood, but I suspect that would have different requirements than one for the ColecoVision (it's not a drop-in replacement for something else), and a higher production run as well (what can they reasonably sell of the arcade one?). In that regard, you might be able to cut the price in half. Who knows, though? It's not like it's going to happen either way.

Understood, but I suspect that would have different requirements than one for the ColecoVision (it's not a drop-in replacement for something else), and a higher production run as well (what can they reasonably sell of the arcade one?). In that regard, you might be able to cut the price in half. Who knows, though? It's not like it's going to happen either way.

Thinking out loud... I wonder if it would be possible to rip the video from the original laser discs and put them on DVD, then use a DVD player? Although I've got to believe it's not that simple otherwise something like that would have been done for the coin-ops a LONG time ago.

A few more games:

Super Sprint

Marvin's Maze

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bump. I would love to buy a badass lightgun game for the CV SGM, even the CRT variety. I have an atari to CV adapter. I wonder if it would work for light gun games, although selling the game with an SMS phaser adapter would probably be better, since SMS phasers are so plentiful on the market...atari light guns, not so much. I think there is still a rapid cult of light gun gamers out there.

One guy I been fantasizing for the Colecovision is the mini game from Stardew Valley. It is a bit too much for the Colecovision.

I started it and probably going to reuse the engine for future game. I like the 8 multiplex bullets. I probably should drop down to single color enemies, and use double color enemies for the more important one. I was able to prevent them from overlapping some what. Here's a gifeo.

post-24767-0-72929100-1495374643.gif

I have 2 favourites from my teenage arcade days - Pole Position and Time Pilot. I was a little disappointed with the CV version of Time Pilot though, and I'd like to someday see a "Super Time Pilot" that includes all levels of the original arcade game.

And there's one other title I'd love to own, in light of recent developments... Porky's. :lolblue:

I have 2 favourites from my teenage arcade days - Pole Position and Time Pilot. I was a little disappointed with the CV version of Time Pilot though, and I'd like to someday see a "Super Time Pilot" that includes all levels of the original arcade game.

And there's one other title I'd love to own, in light of recent developments... Porky's. :lolblue:

There was an unreleased, possibly unfinished, Porky's demo for CV.

Edited by Swami
  • Like 1