IGNORED

Open fantasizing - What games you'd like to see made for the CV?

Tornadoboy

• 5 months later...

Those are nice, although you'd rarely see the bullets traversing the screen because of the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit. :)

I had a nice idea for Dracula (the vaporware title) the other day: The description of the game on the flyer states that you're a detective in London trying to stop Dracula. The problem here is that the mockup screenshot is so open-ended that one can only imagine how the actual game works. However, I think the game could actually follow the description on the flyer quite literally.

You've been informed that Dracula is currently "visiting" London, and that he plans to take a bride with him back to Transylvania. As a brilliant detective, you've managed to narrow the list of possible target victims down to four women (or possibly a fifth unnamed woman who you may have to identify during the course of the game). You don't know for sure which woman Dracula will select, but you do know that he will come to his victim's bedroom at midnight, and turn her into a vampire unless you get there first!

The game would be similar to Police Quest or Leisure Suit Larry (but without the humor, obviously). You'd work with a map of London (similar to the map in the boardgame Scotland Yard) and you would be limited to certain points of interest on this map. As you visit these locations and talk to people, pick up documents and other assorted objects that provide clues, more points of interest would pop up on the map. If you gather enough clues before midnight and figure out which women will be Dracula's victim, you will go to her house and protect the girl. To do this, you'd have to collect certain items along the way, like a cross, garlic and a stake. And those would not be easy to find at such a late hour, obviously. Even mundane information like the address of the women would need to be uncovered. And you'd have to gather all clues, objects and intel quickly, as the clock ticks down to midnight. :)

Following my ideas, the screenshot on the flyer actually shows the end of the game, where you face Dracula with all the "weapon items" collected. The "00000" under the clock would be the "mystery meter": When you start the game, the meter starts at something like 50000 points, but as you gather significant clues, the meter goes down, and when it reaches zero, you know that you found all the clues you're going to find in the game, and now you just have to deduce which woman is Dracula's target based on the information you've collected.

The game would be heavy on randomization: The clues, character encounters, map locations, etc. would vary from one game to the next, so you never really play the same game twice, and you're never sure which woman Dracula will select. You'd face various types of dangers along the way, and if you lose too much energy (indicated by the digit display under "1-UP" on the screenshot) you faint and wake up in the hospital the next morning, and learn in the newspaper which woman "disappeared without a trace" the previous night.

Not sure what I would do with the lives counter (the four heads at the top-left corner of the screen) but I'd figure something out. In fact, I may have an idea already... :) The real challenge would be to make this game fit in 32K... :P

• Like 5

If I ever re-learn to program, I would like to make an X-files and Mothman Prophecies game. For some reason I was thinking I could hack Frogger for the Mothman game, since it already has cars that could be made black and moths in caves.Have men in black and Indrid Cold replace the snake. Have UFOs replace the turtles. Richard Gere and Laura Linney replace the frogs? LOL

• Like 1

I would just make the black shadows behind the characters lower priority.

Someone else recently was interested in the dracula as well. There seems to be some interest. Have you ever played Colonel's Bequest? That is what I think dracula should be.

Those are nice, although you'd rarely see the bullets traversing the screen because of the 4-sprites-per-scanline limit. :)

I would just make the black shadows behind the characters lower priority.

If you are in low res mode , you could simply use few "pixels" for the bullets , and it will never flicker.

Funny, outlaw was on my to do list too. I love that game on the 2600. I never started it because i love so much the 2600 version and all its game varation that i'm afraid that i would not be able to something as good on the colecovision. I mean with the same "feel".

Outlaw on 2600 is the game i play the more , i have played it with my children just last week end.

@pixelboy : I love you idea for Dracula :)

I like the low res mode. I think the characters need to be big just like the atari version. on a black bg it wouldn't need the extra shadow sprites.

I was playing it with my daughter just 2 weeks ago is why it came to mind. just a fun game. easy to mess it up though.

I think all the options could included small/large sprites/

bg no/bg

low res / high res bg

moving obstacles

destructable walls/stagecoach.

on coleco though it would need an a.i. opponent which the atari dosn't have

If you are in low res mode , you could simply use few "pixels" for the bullets , and it will never flicker.

Funny, outlaw was on my to do list too. I love that game on the 2600. I never started it because i love so much the 2600 version and all its game varation that i'm afraid that i would not be able to something as good on the colecovision. I mean with the same "feel".

Outlaw on 2600 is the game i play the more , i have played it with my children just last week end.

@pixelboy : I love you idea for Dracula :)

• Like 1

You did say "open fantasizing", right? :-)

(1) "Cuphead". Brilliant retro game. I haven't played it myself (don't own any of the systems it runs on), but I have watched videos of people playing it, and friends who have it play it for hours.

(2) This game doesn't exist anywhere, but it should :-) Here's my prototype box art from 2009 (a Christmas present for my kids). Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, you'll enjoy it!

"Charlie The Unicorn" game box art

*Dr. D.*

Edited by Dr. D.
  • Like 3

I had a nice idea for Dracula (the vaporware title) the other day: The description of the game on the flyer states that you're a detective in London trying to stop Dracula. The problem here is that the mockup screenshot is so open-ended that one can only imagine how the actual game works. However, I think the game could actually follow the description on the flyer quite literally.

You've been informed that Dracula is currently "visiting" London, and that he plans to take a bride with him back to Transylvania. As a brilliant detective, you've managed to narrow the list of possible target victims down to four women (or possibly a fifth unnamed woman who you may have to identify during the course of the game). You don't know for sure which woman Dracula will select, but you do know that he will come to his victim's bedroom at midnight, and turn her into a vampire unless you get there first!

The game would be similar to Police Quest or Leisure Suit Larry (but without the humor, obviously). You'd work with a map of London (similar to the map in the boardgame Scotland Yard) and you would be limited to certain points of interest on this map. As you visit these locations and talk to people, pick up documents and other assorted objects that provide clues, more points of interest would pop up on the map. If you gather enough clues before midnight and figure out which women will be Dracula's victim, you will go to her house and protect the girl. To do this, you'd have to collect certain items along the way, like a cross, garlic and a stake. And those would not be easy to find at such a late hour, obviously. Even mundane information like the address of the women would need to be uncovered. And you'd have to gather all clues, objects and intel quickly, as the clock ticks down to midnight. :)

Following my ideas, the screenshot on the flyer actually shows the end of the game, where you face Dracula with all the "weapon items" collected. The "00000" under the clock would be the "mystery meter": When you start the game, the meter starts at something like 50000 points, but as you gather significant clues, the meter goes down, and when it reaches zero, you know that you found all the clues you're going to find in the game, and now you just have to deduce which woman is Dracula's target based on the information you've collected.

The game would be heavy on randomization: The clues, character encounters, map locations, etc. would vary from one game to the next, so you never really play the same game twice, and you're never sure which woman Dracula will select. You'd face various types of dangers along the way, and if you lose too much energy (indicated by the digit display under "1-UP" on the screenshot) you faint and wake up in the hospital the next morning, and learn in the newspaper which woman "disappeared without a trace" the previous night.

Not sure what I would do with the lives counter (the four heads at the top-left corner of the screen) but I'd figure something out. In fact, I may have an idea already... :) The real challenge would be to make this game fit in 32K... :P

I would be glad to write a game based on anything you could came up :) because you really write very good specifications.

Edit: in case someone doesn't remember it, I wrote Remember the Flag based on Luc specs ;)

• Like 1

(2) This game doesn't exist anywhere, but it should :-) Here's my prototype box art from 2009 (a Christmas present for my kids). Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, you'll enjoy it!

Rich, I don't know what kind of medication you're on right now, and I'm not sure if I should recommend dropping it or increasing the dosage. :D

• Like 1

I've got a game I wish someone would tackle. I wrote it as an Atari ST BBS game back in the 80s. I didn't actually write the whole thing as there was a shell GFA Basic program for the BBS part and I filled in the story. It was more of a multiple choice text adventure, but it could easily (well, not for me) have graphics added to it and turned into some kind of game. There was a lot of random jumping here and there between the various parts and it mixed in some elements from old TV shows. It was called COWS and was an excellent display of my warped sense of humor back then. Basically you were a secret agent and assigned to infiltrate the Moovian base and destroy the militaristic COWS and their secret weapon. If you got past the first part of the game, you started teleporting into all kinds of crazy situations.

I would be glad to write a game based on anything you could came up :) because you really write very good specifications.

• Like 1

I've got a game I wish someone would tackle. I wrote it as an Atari ST BBS game back in the 80s. I didn't actually write the whole thing as there was a shell GFA Basic program for the BBS part and I filled in the story. It was more of a multiple choice text adventure, but it could easily (well, not for me) have graphics added to it and turned into some kind of game. There was a lot of random jumping here and there between the various parts and it mixed in some elements from old TV shows. It was called COWS and was an excellent display of my warped sense of humor back then. Basically you were a secret agent and assigned to infiltrate the Moovian base and destroy the militaristic COWS and their secret weapon. If you got past the first part of the game, you started teleporting into all kinds of crazy situations.

You need to put it into a complete document specifying your game, it's the better start to a game.

Very well thought out. I would love to see this come to fruition, as I would definitely be down for a copy. I loved the Scotland Yard board game, by the way. I had it as a kid, rebought it years later as an adult, and even bought the DS version.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestions would be...

Mr. Do's Wild Ride MSX (an "unfinished" ColecoVision version exists and from what I've read CollectorVision may officially publish this eventually)

Jump Coaster MSX (similar to Mr. Do's Wild Ride; I like these types of games; somewhat similar to Peter Pack Rat too but not really)

Blagger MSX Cassette Tape (being an MSX Cassette "Tape" game I wonder if such a thing can even be ported to and played on a ColecoVision)

• 3 months later...

I'd love to see a ColecoVision version of the obscure Atari arcade game Peter Pack Rat. A watered down version exists on Commodore 64. A ColecoVision version would probably have to be done from scratch and may require the SMG to be fully realized. Many places in the levels to randomize the placement of item(s) adding replay value which I think adds much needed depth to an otherwise basic game. The arcade version seems to be more in the league of a "16 bit " looking game though.

Edited by rodge2001