IGNORED

What do you regret throwing away?

BillyHW

Before I knew any better:

1. Sony Trinitron 17" CRT monitor from 1997 (or was it 19", can't remember exactly). Stupid, stupid, stupid...this is probably the one I regret the most. Man that thing weighed a ton though and took up the whole freakin' desk and then some. I didn't appreciate CRT enough at the time and was unaware of all the flaws of LCD tech.

2. 19" Zenith CRT that I did all my gaming on in the 80s and 90s. I tossed it in favour of a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT in 2002-ish. Though the Sony is sweet too. But the Zenith had a black level adjustment that could tell you secret areas in Final Fantasy II, lol! :)

3. My video game mags. This one isn't my fault. My mother tossed then when I wasn't around to stop her. I should have done a better job of hiding them from her. I had quite the collection of EGM, GameFan, NextGen and some GamePros too.

4. My brother's ColecoVision and also the steering wheel controller for it. I found it down in the basement a few years back, and tried to turn it on but it didn't work, so I tossed it, box et al. I didn't realize that it could maybe be sent in to fix by people like Yurkie here.

5. I think I tossed all my Lynx/NES/SNES console and game boxes too, still had many in perfect condition but was clearing out the parent's basement for renovations and was looking to make room. Sigh.

6. I wish I had asked my cousins who had C64s to give them to me before they threw them out. Now they are in some landfill somewhere. Cousin also had Coleco tabletops I should have asked for.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

I regretted giving away my 27" Magnavox flat screen analog TV about 8 years ago. It was an awesome tv and especially useful for lightgun gaming. It was a tank.

My Sega Genesis in 2003. It was the model 2 system and I had about 20 or so games with it. No need to worry now as I have a model 1 and 2 with all the games that I had plus tons more.

Traded my original Playstation in 2001 to get credit into purchasing a Playstation 2. Now I enjoy collecting for systems that I bought another one a few years back. Thank god these are dirt cheap now.

• Like 2

All my boxes.

I had all my N64, NES, and SNES boxes from my childhood. Kept them all those years. Went to college many years ago, and must have thought to myself "wow, these are annoying to tote around and space consuming". Cbucked them, and kept the manuals.

I honestly hate myself for doing it. I really, really do. I have the manuals at least, till this very day. But if I could go back in time, I'd punch myself, hahaha.

• Like 4

All my boxes.

I had all my N64, NES, and SNES boxes from my childhood. Kept them all those years. Went to college many years ago, and must have thought to myself "wow, these are annoying to tote around and space consuming". Cbucked them, and kept the manuals.

I honestly hate myself for doing it. I really, really do. I have the manuals at least, till this very day. But if I could go back in time, I'd punch myself, hahaha.

I feel your pain, did the same thing. Sigh.

• Like 1

A couple things.

I threw out Glib for 2600 a couple decades ago. It sucked badly, and there's no dictionary built in so it was possible to rack up score with nonsense words. If only I knew it'd be rare and worth quite a bit.

My uncle threw out "several boxes of C64 stuff" a few months before I was asking around for it. He does remember a 3.5" disk drive in the stuff so /cry

Lastly, a Mac Plus. I threw it out when the analog board got fried and early in that time eBay had a bunch of Plus'es very cheap I didn't think there'd be a problem getting replacement if I felt like it. Today it costs a lot for a working Plus. :(

• Like 1

Wish I still had my first PC. I think all we have left is the monitor. Man that was when a computer was a computer! Massive manuals, a full box of CD ROMs, monitor, computer, keyboard, mouse. Even a mouse pad!

It was a Packard Bell 486 running Navigator and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Nice little system, ran everything in the DOS era perfectly.

Eh, deep shame, back when i was 16 or so i got a commodore cm8296. Tried cleaning it up and playing a bit with it, but then i didn't have intrest, so i trew it away.

Also gave away a amiga 1000 that i thought didn't work, not knowing i had to use a kickstart disk on this machine.

Gave away 3 ibm ps/2 386 with mca cards.

Sold my near mint complete in box gamegear and games.

And trew away a philips :yes a 80186 pc. Didn't work and i didn't try fixing it.

Also got rid of my adlib compatible 8 bit soundcard, and my original 12mb voodoo 2.

I also had a big collection of 8088, 8086 and compatible processors. Think i also trew them away.

Sad sad very sad when i think about it.

Boxes.

Back in the early '90s, it never occurred to anybody (not anybody I knew, at least) that game collecting would be a thing, or that it might be nice to have the boxes down the road. We tended to keep manuals because A) sometimes they were needed to figure the game out and B) being a videogame addicted child pre-internet, we read them (and strategy guides and magazines and the like) when we couldn't play. But boxes usually got chucked. Why store your carts in their boxes? They just get in the way when you want to play a game, and it's a hassle to put it back when you're done. And who needs an empty box?

The only other thing that comes to mind that I regret getting rid of was my first computer of my very own. It was a 286 something or other PC that my mom got me at a rummage sale for $50. Even ~1995 it was an antique, and it ended up needing a bit of work; my dad probably put another couple hundred bucks into putting in some new drives and an old but well-kept Magnavox amber monitor he got from somebody at work, and even a printer. My best friend had this old disk with a bunch of old BASIC games (all text-based), including Pac-Man, which we played the hell out of. I even used it to write storylines and scripts for comic books I was creating in junior high (still have some of the ones I printed off). I guess at some point I must have lost interest and allowed my parents to put it in a garage sale (in retrospect I think they really just didn't want it taking up space and since it was outdated, they were able to convince me I didn't want it anymore...). I changed my mind during the sale but I was too late; my dad told me somebody had agreed to purchase it and was coming back with the $250 to buy it, and that as the "proprietor" it would be really shitty to back out of the deal like that.

Every once in a while, I still miss that system. :( And the games disk, which I've never been able to even find out any information on, much less track one down (although by sheer cosmic coincidence, I did discover a copy of the Pac-Man game as a .BAS file in a stack of random disks I got last year). And good vintage monitors a pain in wallet to get now. I guess I learned a lesson in business ethics, so it wasn't a total loss.

Edited by BassGuitari

I sold most of the computer/console stuff I've gotten rid of over the years, but there are some things I threw away that I regret:

- The two 820 printers I had that I bought new at B&C (one for my wife and one for me).

- The 825 printer, again bought new at B&C (and barely used).

- My workhorse 1025 printer, bought used and disgustingly dirty, but it ran great for years after I cleaned it up.

At one point, I just decided that all the ribbon-based printers weren't worth keeping, so I got rid of 'em. Now I sometimes wish I hadn't. Not badly enough to buy other ones, but enough to wish I had the originals (esp. the two 820s, since one was a gift for my wife and she really liked using it for the neatness factor).

As a kid I threw away a couple of CoCo carts when they stopped working, not realizing they could probably be fixed just by cleaning the pins with alcohol. Hey, I didn't know.

Otherwise, boxes I suppose; some would be worth a fair few bucks now. My parents also gave away our Atari 5200 stuff to a family friend, but she appreciated it so it wasn't a true loss. Still, I had Zaxxon and Mr. Do's Castle, not knowing they were rare.

What I regret more are the things I borrowed from other people, returned, and that they probably threw away down the road. I wish I still had that TRS-80 Model III, and I think my family borrowed Bounty Bob Strikes Back from the woman to whom we gave our 5200 stuff.

• Like 1

My biggest regret games wise is when I was in junior high, I got a kid to give me basically his entire Nintendo Power collection (I must have got 75 issues from him) just by giving him answers in class. By about grade 10, I stupidly for no reason took a sharpie and wrote, drew, all over all of them thinking I'd never care to look at them again just because it was really smooth to scribble on. Then I tossed them at some point later on. Mainly sucks because I never had Nintendo Power as a kid and barely looked at them in junior high. So I inevitably destroyed a mint collection and missed out on posters and to this day can barely tell you anything about Nintendo Power. I don't even care about monetary value, I just can't believe I'd do that. Nowadays I'd love to flip through them when I'm bored or wanna lie down.

I guess I regret throwing away my NES/Game Boy boxes, not that they'd have been worth too much anyways, but they'd be nice to have. I have a weird affinity towards Game Boy boxes in comparison to any other boxes and I can't quite put my finger on way. I'm not a boxed guy to begin with, but something about those tiny boxes was really cool.

• Like 1

I threw away a CIB 3DO with about 25 CIB games. I also chucked about 50 pre-crash magazines. This was only about 7 years ago when I was moving into my house and I didn't want to make one final trip back to the old place to pick of these remaining items. Just for the record I also sold a NES toploader and a CIB copy of MUSHA for very little back in the day. Oh, and that life/youth thing, I threw that away as well.

Edited by LaserCat
  • Like 1

"Boxes" is my answer as well. Basically anything pre NES - box met the trash bin.

Now when the NES did roll around... I did keep all my boxes for the games albeit the NES console box (it was the Deluxe set). Same M.O. w/ the Sega Master System sans the box.

Now non-game related items: Star Wars' toys. I had almost every figure, vehicle and playset there was. I was missing some 12 back figures and some of the Droids series of figures, but every box and card gone.:(

The worst??? I had a theatrical standee of Empire Strikes Back in my room. (I had a relative who worked at the local theater.) Over the years that thing just got abused more and more. (we were kids right????) After a while, my parents just tossed due to the condition. That still hurts!

Boxes, for sure.

I'm also not sure what happened to my TurboDuo games. I know I'd loaned it out to one of my brothers and don't recall getting it back, but he insists he did. I moved sometime after I loaned it out and tossed what I thought was garbage in the basement of the old place, so I'm afraid one of those may have contained the Duo (but I'm praying that wasn't the case...)

• Like 1