IGNORED

Tax avoiders. Never knew

vw57drvr

Didn't know this even existed. What on earth is the object of the game?

If you go to the main page (by clicking on AtariAge at the top-left of any page) you'll find a Title Search feature at the bottom of the menu on the left. Type in Tax click Search, and you'll find lots of info about the game, including a text copy of the manual.

• Like 1

The most interesting thing about this game is that it shares code with Porky's; the character you control and the control mechanics are identical.

AFAIK it was never conclusively established who stole from who, but I suspect it was Tax Avoiders that did the stealing.

What's also interesting is that this game isn't rarer than it is. There were enough people who bought this game BITD to make it not that hard to get today. ;)

• Like 1

What's also interesting is that this game isn't rarer than it is. There were enough people who bought this game BITD to make it not that hard to get today. ;)

On a trip to Ohio in the late 1980s, there was a store in a mall (I'm guessing in West Virginia) that had a bunch of marked down Tax Avoiders. That's when I bought my copy.

You got that right! There is a game for the TI-99/4A called Texan Dealer...

post-34058-0-56908800-1350906836.png

post-34058-0-76669800-1350906852.png

From the two screen grabs you can figure out what the game is all about.

There is even a PDF manual for it...

There was a version of this called Dope Wars for Windows in the 90's that my friends and I played.

• Like 2

I loved Drug Wars/Dope Wars on PC circa 97 or so. I would've never gotten into Mob Wars on Facebook a few years back had it not been for my love of the original games. Always aimed to get it on Palm but I never ended up with a Palm in the twilight of my university years when I was playing that sucker religiously. Loved the UK slang that was in it.

But back to Tax Avoiders. I think I saw a print ad for it back in the day. Didn't own it back then but I bought it on ePay a couple of years ago for less than $10. I intended to display it at work since I work for a tax agency but then our janitors kept stealing stuff so it never made it there.

It was the time of experimentation, something which got lost from the 90s onwards.

Fortunately, we have that back today.

There were obvious reasons why we had more experimental game concepts in the 70s and early- to mid-80s (amid the vast number of clones and knock-offs), and that's because the market was still trying to find itself. There was no telling what would and wouldn't sell, and even serving niches meant you could still sell enough (thousands to tens of thousands of copies) to make such endeavors worthwhile. As the market grew, so did the stakes, and it became harder to sustainably experiment when even hundreds of thousands of sales would often mean failure.

As stated, fortunately, today, thanks to a gradual transition to lower risk digital stores, we have that experimental spirit back and then some.

• Like 2

In 2012, I made a video with very accurate description of how to play the game:

I noticed that you always touch the green guy and get the TV right away, but then collect other items. If the TV is the last thing you put in your portfolio before that screen ends, you won't pay any taxes and you get to keep all the money you've earned. So grab other stuff first and save the TV for when that screen is about to end.