IGNORED

Upp! for Atari 2600 Released on Etsy

Gemintronic

I'm taking all this feedback in for the next game. As was mentioned before I wanted to see if a budget title would sell. As retro game development is now a full time job producing even 20 copies was a huge risk. I don't want to infuriarate the collectors by cranking out more copies. I don't want to disgruntle the gamers who just want to play new, unique homebrew.

For those that want an immediate solution Upp! has always been a digital download here: http://theloon.itch.io/upp

That has been tested on a harmony cart and Stella just fine.

I think the best all around solution is to start thinking of Upp! II with everyone's feedback considered. This includes any gameplay and packaging ideas. I will definitely make more copies for Upp! II.

UPDATE: Heck, if people feel REALLY strongly about playing the original Upp! I could make a double-ender or include it on the same cart as Upp! II.

• Like 3

UPDATE: Heck, if people feel REALLY strongly about playing the original Upp! I could make a double-ender or include it on the same cart as Upp! II.

Now THAT'S a cool idea! Count me in. In fact, if you want to put both games in a standard Atari-size cart and box I will donate the card-stock inserts that hold the cart in the box. Should save you a little time and money.

• Like 1

Now THAT'S a cool idea! Count me in. In fact, if you want to put both games in a standard Atari-size cart and box I will donate the card-stock inserts that hold the cart in the box. Should save you a little time and money.

Yeah. Manually cutting the right size of styrofoam was harder than it should've been. Thanks for the offer. I still have to figure out what would be better packaging for the next game.

Yeah. Manually cutting the right size of styrofoam was harder than it should've been. Thanks for the offer. I still have to figure out what would be better packaging for the next game.

I think the best way to cut styrofoam is not with a blade but with a hot wire. When I took sculpture class in college, they had a table for cutting blue foam insulation boards. The setup was similar to a band saw but had no moving parts. It consisted of a vertical tungsten wire with a high current passed through it, and you manuvered the foam blocks on the work bench. It was effortless, like a hot knife through butter.

You could probably jury rig something like that to cut foam blocks to size at home; the trick would be finding a thin wire with high electrical resistance that could be used with a lab bench power supply. Copper obviously won't do as it is too excellent a conductor. Maybe the small steel "e" string off an acoustic or electric guitar might work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what the different ?

* Slightly higher score for escape up out of the current level

* Ship is slightly shorter so slightly easier to dodge plasma balls and laser blasts

* Capsule is shorter as well

* Different score font

* Different "evil paddle" graphics

* Tweaked colors for brick layers

* Scrolling escape animation

* Different death animation

post-13304-0-06773400-1455512936_thumb.jpg

I'd love to order. but doesn't ship to Canada.

International buyers should use the [ Ask a Question ] button to work out the details for shipping elsewhere.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Gemintronic

• Like 3

Hope you addressed this. Ruins the game, not sure how you missed it.

I am going to have to admit that I don't understand this and I've been too lazy to get back with you. I tried pausing at the points you mentioned and didn't see anything weird/uncool.

Not refuting you but this is me being dumber than dirt and not getting it. Could you explain what's going on again? Sorry about that.

I am going to have to admit that I don't understand this and I've been too lazy to get back with you. I tried pausing at the points you mentioned and didn't see anything weird/uncool.

Not refuting you but this is me being dumber than dirt and not getting it. Could you explain what's going on again? Sorry about that.

Look at 0:40, the enemy at the bottom of the screen fires a shot and kills the player. Look carefully at were the bullet is spawned/created.

The bullets should only be able to be fired by the enemy within the bounds of it's sprite. At 0:40 the bullet is too far to the left of the enemy sprite.

Please tell me you can see this, if not, I will draw a picture.

(If the above is not clear too you answer the following questions!)

1)At 0:40 what is the X position of the bullet that kills the player. (take a guess)

2)What is the X position of the enemy when the bullet that kills the player first appears (take a guess, top left of sprite)

You can clearly see that the bullet is closer to the left side of the screen than the top left of the enemy sprite. The enemy bullet is created out of thin air.

• Like 1

The bullets should only be able to be fired by the enemy within the bounds of it's sprite. At 0:40 the bullet is too far to the left of the enemy sprite.

It also shoots away from the paddle on the left side at 0:59, 1:17, 1:20, 1:27, and so on. My guess is that the shots aren't supposed to be coming from the paddle sprite. They're just shooting up from an unseen force. Maybe an angry ghost or something. I also don't know why the ball bounces before it hits the paddle sprite.

• Like 1

It also happens at 0:59, 1:17, 1:20, 1:27, and so on. My guess is that the shots aren't coming from the paddle sprite. I also don't know why the ball bounces before it hits the paddle sprite.

Thank the Gods, some one else sees it too.

If the shots aren't coming from the paddle sprite, why are they never spawned/created to the right side of the paddle?.

Thank the Gods, some one else sees it too.

If the shots aren't coming from the paddle sprite, why are they never spawned/created to the right side of the paddle?.

I updated my other post. Maybe the paddle is blind in his left eye, so the ghost tries to stay on that side of the paddle to keep from being seen.

• Like 1

Thank you Matthew and R.T.

I think next time the laser should come out from the top of the screen.

The paddle sprite is actually a separate "mini kernel" so the ball sprite cannot be drawn in that area. I'm actually colliding (the ball) with a playfield pixel close to the paddle. Not close enough apparently :)